Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

ultrafilter posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the job list from each crystal matches what was given in FFIII.

If so,

The original FF3 gave Monk, White Mage, Black Mage and Red Mage at Wind Crystal.
Fire would give Ranger, Knight and Thief (and Blue mage if it's considered analogous to Scholar).
Water would give Geomancer, Dragoon, and Bard (and Berserker if considered analogous to Viking).
Earth would only give Summoner and Ninja (if the Eureka jobs are counted with Earth).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Jose Valasquez posted:

Counting these as $3 last minute completions, so $12 more to PP

Thank you for this!! I'm glad it counted towards something.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Guaranteed Dragoon on Earth? Don't like that!

I've had Dragoon three years running at this point, and can't wait to share the boredom if this is how it's gonna go down. :getin:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mustard Iceman posted:

If so,

The original FF3 gave Monk, White Mage, Black Mage and Red Mage at Wind Crystal.
Fire would give Ranger, Knight and Thief (and Blue mage if it's considered analogous to Scholar).
Water would give Geomancer, Dragoon, and Bard (and Berserker if considered analogous to Viking).
Earth would only give Summoner and Ninja (if the Eureka jobs are counted with Earth).

Considering RK does not endorse rom hacks like the Fiesta patch and maintains that runs should always be done with regular rear end FFV*, I can't imagine he would do it this way. Mainly because Water would give no jobs that are actually available at the water crystal (unless Berserker was added), so you'd essentially get 0 jobs at water and 2 at fire. Or if you rolled Red at wind, 0 at wind, 1 at water and 2 at fire. It's just weird and wouldn't make a lot of sense, I know there's Chaos/Pure Chaos but that seems to be a subtle nod to those with an all jobs unlocked patch without explicitly endorsing it and the "official" way to play Chaos/PC is "Freelancers until you have a job you can use," but I can't see him doing that for a FF3 run that should be in theory be accessible to people playing, say, Pixel Remaster and never getting any jobs at water (or only Zerk) would remove the fun of "getting new jobs at every crystal."

That's why I think it's more likely he'll move the jobs around to balance out job unlocks so you're always guaranteed a usable job at water. Basically I think he might move earlier jobs like Summoner to later crystals like earth, that would be fine, but I don't think he will move later jobs to earlier crystals. I think Bard will stay at fire and Dragoon will stay at earth, but Summoner and Ninja might be moved to earth for example.

Like I said, my personal prediction would be three jobs at each crystal (assuming Blue and Zerk aren't added, I could see adding Zerk but not blue). Split White/Black/Monk/Thief/Knight however you like between wind and water, with Red still at water, and then split Summon/Ranger/Geo/Bard/Ninja however you like between fire and earth, with Dragoon still at earth.

Personally I'd move White Mage to water since that would mean you would never have a White Mage start if you chose FF3 which would be pretty fantastic, as someone who has done multiple White Mage starts (and even did one completely legit, which was incredibly unfun).

* e: Oh yeah I forgot I put an asterisk and then didn't follow up. RK doesn't have the power to tell people how to Fiesta on their own, but for official purposes he's always said "On original hardware, no rom hacks." He will still verify victories that are clearly hacked (like with the fun sprite replacements for Exdeath) but as people have said before, his statements on rom hacks are probably less likely "No Fun Allowed" and more so that Squenix doesn't get on his case. They still could, but as long as he's officially saying "no rom hacks" it's less likely.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 19, 2022

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Considering RK does not endorse rom hacks like the Fiesta patch and maintains that runs should always be done with regular rear end FFV*,

* e: Oh yeah I forgot I put an asterisk and then didn't follow up. RK doesn't have the power to tell people how to Fiesta on their own, but for official purposes he's always said "On original hardware, no rom hacks." He will still verify victories that are clearly hacked (like with the fun sprite replacements for Exdeath) but as people have said before, his statements on rom hacks are probably less likely "No Fun Allowed" and more so that Squenix doesn't get on his case. They still could, but as long as he's officially saying "no rom hacks" it's less likely.

I feel like the existence of Pixel Remaster having access to mods will make him revise his stance over the next year, either to actual "no fun allowed" or to accepting modification. He can still support the creators with mods to an existing game on steam, he's not promoting piracy like he would be with romhacking.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

I feel like the existence of Pixel Remaster having access to mods will make him revise his stance over the next year, either to actual "no fun allowed" or to accepting modification. He can still support the creators with mods to an existing game on steam, he's not promoting piracy like he would be with romhacking.
you're assuming a lot here

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Twelve by Pies posted:

He has some wrong opinions (FFT for example) that we just ignore because he built a thing we like, and that's OK. It gets the job done.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

If only he'd stop retweeting those opinions on his drat charity twitter bot. t:mad:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Mustard Iceman posted:

He has some wrong opinions (FFT for example) that we just ignore because he built a thing we like, and that's OK. It gets the job done.

Eh like I said, I think if he were really super against rom hacks he wouldn't have made Chaos/Pure Chaos since that's a run type that really only makes sense if you have an all jobs patch. I should know, I did a Chaos run with a vanilla rom and I was freelancer all the way to earth since my first three jobs were two Dancer and a Chemist. Since that run type is weighted towards later jobs at earlier crystals (at least by my understanding) it's basically a subtle nod to people who do want to use Dancer starting at wind, without actually sayiing "This is the Fiesta Patch run option."

Kyrosiris posted:

If only he'd stop retweeting those opinions on his drat charity twitter bot. t:mad:

For real, it's pretty poor form to use your charity mouthpiece to loudly announce your opinions just because it has more followers. Like I don't care if he hates FFT, he's allowed to have his opinions and even post them on his Twitter all day long, it's when he uses his charity event account to force more people to see it that feels like he's purposely trying to get people worked up. And that's not cool!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Twelve by Pies posted:

Eh like I said, I think if he were really super against rom hacks he wouldn't have made Chaos/Pure Chaos since that's a run type that really only makes sense if you have an all jobs patch. I should know, I did a Chaos run with a vanilla rom and I was freelancer all the way to earth since my first three jobs were two Dancer and a Chemist. Since that run type is weighted towards later jobs at earlier crystals (at least by my understanding) it's basically a subtle nod to people who do want to use Dancer starting at wind, without actually sayiing "This is the Fiesta Patch run option."

I think you're reading too much into it, personally. I mostly play Chaos/Pure Chaos and have never used the all jobs patch, and I can easily seem him being ok with you being stuck with Freelancer to the Earth crystal, much the same way he's fine if you get stuck with only Berserkers or only White Mages.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
All Freelancers in World 1 isn't even bad, you've got all the tools you need to run roughshod over the game.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I will never use the all jobs patch because freelancing my way through world 1 is genuinely more fun and interesting to me than the alternative, especially when like half the late game jobs have significant portions of their functionality kneecapped until the point when you're supposed to get them anyway.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

All Freelancers in World 1 isn't even bad, you've got all the tools you need to run roughshod over the game.

Oh I didn't mean it was bad at all, it was a breeze in fact. It's just that part of the Fiesta is the fun of using different combinations of jobs, and if you're doing Chaos runs with no Fiesta patch it means that 99% of the time all your runs will be exactly the same for the start of the game, which isn't as much fun.

Then again there's also the horror of using four Bards against Garula.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Twelve by Pies posted:

Then again there's also the horror of using four Bards against Garula.

Four Bards against Garula is nothing compared to the utter depravity of four Bards against Adamantoise.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
I had a friend end up with four Bards to Earth crystal one of the first couple years of Chaos existing, I think he finally cracked and job faired something at Sol Cannon.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

girl dick energy posted:

Indeed.

* Flame Rods
* Frost Rods
* Thunder Rods

What else could you need?

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Twelve by Pies posted:

I too, was once again using cheats or hacks, until the day a Chaos run made me fight Soul Cannon with four Geomancers.
Four Freelancers doesn't sound bad at all in comparison.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mega64 posted:

Indeed.

* Flame Rods
* Frost Rods
* Thunder Rods

What else could you need?
* Death Sickle
:eng101:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

girl dick energy posted:

* Death Sickle
:eng101:
world one ribbon, not that you need it, but :sparkles:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Ooh, Halloween challenge this month:
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1575968140663476224

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

TEAM PARTY TIME GOOOOO

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Okay, that’s a great challenge idea.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I forgot to donate this year :doh:

Well, fortunately the donation site is still open, so I did it now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Hey if you happen to be the owner of email flarebringer@gmail.com and the enkibot-prime heroku deployment, could you poke me in Fiesta discord about transfer of ownership? I'm trying to make sure that it doesn't die before Heroku stops offering free dynos. :negative:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I was thinking the same thing, any update on that?

Anyways, hello again! I did do the Maniac Mansion one which was a lot of fun in October (in fact, I thought I posted my Archive.org win but apparently not! Go Bernard. I also found out the hard way that the PC version doesn't have the default lock code lol). At the very, very end of November there was a troll event for FF9 which I did not appreciate. :colbert: I actually don't care that much but since I've never played FF9 it probably wouldn't been... interesting.

But this month marks the return of the Chrono Trigger holiday mini-event! It's necessarily loose (use them when you can) but at least it's a simple one for what's usually a very busy season:
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1598140717444255744

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
That sounds fun. I don't remember there being really any bad characters, so any party should be decent I think.

Think I'll try the DS version since I never played it before.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Doom Goon posted:

I was thinking the same thing, any update on that?

It is safely in my possession and I have been giving Heroku seven dollars a month until I can figure out self-hosting.

I'm not very good at Ruby. :negative:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I forget how much of a beast cavewoman Ayla is. Stealing is so great and Kiss/Triple Kick are awesome with a Gold Stud (1MP ~500HP and status fixing? Don't mind if I do). I didn't rely too much on Magic at the end, (boosted) crits for Crono and Wondershot for Lucca is the way I roll that dice.

Oh! I just noticed that unlike many of the mini-events this one kept track of the image or Twitter post in the results section. Not that it matters because it'll disappear once the event is over, but still nice.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Doom Goon posted:

I forget how much of a beast cavewoman Ayla is. Stealing is so great and Kiss/Triple Kick are awesome with a Gold Stud (1MP ~500HP and status fixing? Don't mind if I do). I didn't rely too much on Magic at the end, (boosted) crits for Crono and Wondershot for Lucca is the way I roll that dice.

No kidding! I got Frog, Robo and Ayla which was more or less a free pass to ignore the magic system completely, plus generous healing options.

It's not a hard game and went down the easiest of any of this year's challenges for me (apart from Maniac Mansion I guess). Even if you were unlucky enough to roll a party without healing skills (Crono, Lucca, Magus I guess?) you're practically drowning in healing items anyway.

Was very good to replay this, haven't gone back to it since childhood and it's way different with a little more perspective etc. but still totally incredible. Must go back to this when not under the gun and play it with the nice CRT filters and all that. Nice way to close out the year!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I made sure to Charm some extra Lapis (200HP to all) from the two enemies in Tyrano Lair and I never once felt like I was missing a wide healer. You can also get it from the Scouters in the Ocean Palace, and then of course there's the broken Megalixers later in Black Omen. Even the NDS stuff so far has been pretty breezy (though the NDS stuff is annoying mostly).

Oh! This month's is Final Fantasy VII again, but there have been changes to the jobs:
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1610546765849309184

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Down to the wire on the FFVII run! Summoner is busted but unfortunately wasn't very fun to play as (too expensive early on and not enough non-damage or wacky spells). Hate that Final Fantasy doubled down on that junk. Ninja was pretty fun although it being Cloud it was absurdly strong. Too many jobs get their useful abilities at the tail end of the endgame but at least 2x Cut makes some sense. And I can't not choose Blue Mage! For reference, last event's was Knight, Mime, and Blue Mage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zix90jxfC08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkklwp7Kx6k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMYJdqtWSNY

I forgot how long it takes to do most of FFVII. Then again, although I didn't complete it as much as last time I did make sure to do some things I'd skipped before:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1620613431253680128

Never played FFVIII before so I'm going to try and complete most things unless I bounce off of it rather than doing the (easier?) challenge.

Oh, there were some other interesting games that were available to vote for so keep an eye out for those some other month.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Isn't FFVIII kind of easier the lower level you do it? The issue is just knowing the game enough to know where to get all the equipment and magic you need.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, you can basically steamroll the game if you keep your level low and have halfway decent junctions. It's not even hard to stay low level because of Enc-None. Should have been something like each character is assigned random GFs to use.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I have... mixed feelings about this one (never played it before, or any mainline one after). Here's some rambling from a newbie.

The game is S-L-O-W, even with fast forward everything from battles to just scene transitions and movement takes forever (haven't felt this much struggle since like FF2 or something). Of course, it didn't help I played through without running and using Enc-None (except for a small part I used it to grind an item in the prison). I have a feeling as these games get more cumbersome that would be something I have to drop! I was lucky in that I didn't even use Enc-None after Omega Weapon (which is risky because there's uncardable enemies around there).

I think the time funk is pretty standard but caring about a high school romance as literally the most important thing in the world took me out of it. They also don't really explain the memory loss thing (handwaving GFs) and the passing out randomly and dreaming is just funny (we'll tell Cid later! Weeks or whatever later!). Speaking of, every scene with Laguna and to a lesser extent the random "funny" scenes felt like I was watching something with a concussion (I imagine). Ronoa as a less competent Avalanche was really painful too but I'm not convinced that wasn't the point (maybe not since everyone makes Squall out to be the bad guy during that part). It's weird how little history they give Ronoa after a certain part of the game, her friends just disappear and unless I missed it nothing satisfying happens with her family or anything (and the Edea thing just ends so that's not very satisfying from her point). Whatshisface, the gunslinger, was a big tropey question mark as well considering he's kinda the only reason anybody remembers the orphanage junk. And then Selphie also had an early Guardian Force why not, sheesh.

Carding/Breaking everything actually wasn't too bad, at first I was a bit bummed Blue Magic was limited to a Limit Break but because you can boost HP I actually ended up liking Blue Magic/Quistis a lot (Mini Missile everything!). This definitely improved once I got Card on everyone which I should've done early. I only got Quistis's best spell late late in the game but that was fine.

I really didn't care for the summon system, in fact I thought having all these skills tied to them was more annoying than it was worth (especially once the game decides to remove all your GFs when it switches story-wise. Hope you remember how your equips were!). Always forgetting to swap in Find or whatever. Battle-wise I stopped summoning them fairly quickly. I'm under the impression Final Fantasy keeps going in this direction (at least for awhile?).

There seemed to be a high variable randomness to battles, everything from what damage you got (see Crisis Levels) to weird formulas (I think I read normal damage varies from 0.6x to 1.4x or something?). It wasn't unusual to have an enemy of the same level as another one doing 100x its damage or having to go through a gauntlet of Berserk, Confuse, etc. (which especially sucked since it can, more or less, make your permanent stats decline in a way until when/if you find another source). And I know it's worse on higher levels. The Magic junction system offsets this but it is really, really cumbersome to use and switch everything.

That and the cards, I hated having to figure out which cards turned into which item which turned into which Magic was just... a lot. I wasn't really a fan of Triple Triad especially with the Rule switching and having the AI miraculously sweep up. Normally I just turtled up which was a fine strategy once you get A cards. Maybe if you could get more than 1 of a type of card but man the odds were (are) mind-numbing to get the best stuff. Thankfully the FAQ I used had warnings about Rule switching so I didn't have to deal with the worst of it!

Oh, I also 100%ed Chocobo World since I got Xebra to work (although I had to do it a little differently from the guides. Save/Load STAT is your friend!). I figured it would be funner than the HD version. That and Angelo Search I used late-game but didn't cheese fast-forwarding through them. Chocobo World only took about 2 days to get everything although you have to babysit it like crazy for the kiss/summon buff. Really the only thing I got from this was Dark Matter (aka Shockwave Pulsar, the top Blue Magic spell) and maybe a rare scroll or two (I had gotten a stone from the jailer so didn't even need that for Abilityx4). A lot of work just to not use Greens and the like lol. Oh! I couldn't get Squall's best weapon because no Ammo crafting at the level I had Ifrit (<10), but I did notice that Chocobo World did drop Pulse Ammo at an unspecified rate (B or below because I didn't even bother cheating the rank ID, probably just 1 ammo per). I think there's 5 you can get in the game with the Grease Monkey but by the end of it I had 9 of which you need 12 (which was weird because I swear I only saw 2 from the Chocobo World screen. Maybe it was 2 per Chocobo World drop or I'm forgetting the game gives you some elsewhere?). It's a weird requirement so it's kinda neat you can get around it (and Shockwave Pulsar... a Level 100 GF are you kidding me? Apparently something else they removed in later versions. It's not even that strong compared to anyone else's Limit Break!) with a technicality.

End-game stuff! I actually kinda liked Omega Weapon, it was a simple script (with a little fun randomness with the physical stuff) although I imagine I'd like it less without Mega Elixirs (kinda weird everything else has limited target like that. I kept forgetting Triple was a thing but because the game doesn't fully stop even on Wait it's kinda annoying). Apparently the PSX version keeps its level at 100 though I think that only matters for the HP if I read that correctly (it was fine, once I thought, "This is getting a bit much," the battle ended for me like a turn later. I didn't even have super broken characters!). Edit: I read another guide that says Omega Weapons's stats are lessened but so high that Str for example caps at ~40. Most of the other enemies/bosses scripting was "Eh" to "Literally doesn't matter" so I have mixed feelings overall about the battle system (though I had low levels so I often didn't see the harshest of it). But at least that was fun.

Didn't love Griever's desperation attack, I'll tell you that lol. 3k or so with Shell/Protect on. After wiping once or twice I actually only got Squall with a couple starting (and ending) character that didn't have anything equipped (thankfully one of them was Selfie so I got to use Aura from the Slots). The End even popped up during the beginning of the last form and it took everything I had not to just select it. Love that they included such an absolutely broken thing lol, a fine addition to the historical brokenness of Slots.

I think if I played it again for a challenge I'd do a No Level/No Junction run (with fleeing). More because it's funny than anything. I wonder if you'd be fast enough to The End Omega Weapon (its at least 111105-1161000HP is probably too much to do non-cheese way. Also, no way to increase speed and, too bad, even Items is a summon command because of course it is!). Actually I'm fairly certain I had a physical attack trigger even before Level 5 Death (but maybe it was right after) so I'm guessing there's always that.

I think that's it! Apologies for the rambling, I've been playing it all month. I'll pop back in once I hear more about next month's challenge!

Edit: Oh, the maps with a disregard for direction or exits were a big problem too. Very few places were revisted with anything important added. That and there were a lot more obscure, who-would-ever-run-into-this type miniquests (way more than 6 or 7).

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 27, 2023

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1630036562422423552

I've never actually played 3 so that's fun! Can't wait to roll nothing but Goof-Offs.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1631169574682103809

No Goof-Offs, my party is Merchant, Martial Artist, and Priest! No real ability sharing but hopefully I can manage.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 7, 2023

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Doom Goon posted:

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1631169574682103809

No Goof-Offs, my party is Merchant, Martial Artist, and Priest! No real ability sharing but hopefully I can manage.
characters do keep spells on reclassing, which is kinda ability share. Reclassing isn't really necessary though, clown notwithstanding

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I got Warrior, Priest, and Mage, which seems the most big standard party, but then I've never played this game before, so

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I got merchant, warrior, thief. I've kind of hit a wall after getting the boat though. No healing and no debuffs is rough. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I was lucky enough with my party (Martial Artist, Merchant, and Priest) that I was able to do everything on the GBC version (thanks Martial Artist! Priest was good too obviously and Merchant's final damage wasn't too awful. 2x Sage Rocks with damage dealers probably wouldn't be the worst thing in the world so there's probably a few combinations that can do this, which requires beating the superbosses in a certain amount of turns).

In case this comes around again I can wholeheartedly recommend not bothering with the medal stuff lol. 1x silver through trading isn't the worst thing if you have like all month to put into it, but the absolutely useless gold medal thing is some of the worst grinding I've ever seen. Thankfully I had something else I was doing so I didn't feel like I was totally wasting my time grinding in the background, although I didn't quite make all the gold medals (which would've required only a few more days as I've gotten the hardest of them).

As for the game, I was really impressed with it. I'd never really heard anybody talk about it growing up or anything although I've fully beaten IV and V when the NDS remakes came out and really enjoyed those (also I've beaten the original many times). While the strategy isn't FF-tier or anything the game is pretty massive and there's a lot of neat little systems and things. It's also pretty cool plot-wise. I'm thinking of playing the I+II GBC remakes and the version of VI I missed sometime.

Oh! As for next month there's no real secret as it's been on the Twitter account. While I was hoping for Final Fantasy Adventure just for a change of pace (too much grinding for me these last two months!) I think I actually owned next month's game iirc but never beat it. I'll post again when it goes up for real:
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1641669078468427776