Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
:toxx:

Life's Too Short

I will donate $5 for every run that doesn't use Reflect Rings randomly dropped by or stolen from enemies. It's okay to use the guaranteed drop from Leviathan and the ring found in Istory Falls. I'll donate an additional $5 if you do this and beat Exdeath in World 2 at or under level 25, on all characters.

nrook fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Desperately trying to think of a toxx that makes W2 more interesting and failing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I just got an unexpected windfall, so here's another :toxx: I've been considering.

There Are Even Twelve Of Them: $2 for every run that gets all the tablets and, thus, all the Legendary Weapons. Screenshot of your inventory is fine for verification. Max number of runs I'll be accepting TBD, but I'm thinking $24. (Twelve of them!)

(Friendly reminder that you don't need to beat Leviathan, you can just leave after grabbing the tablet! :ssh:)

Fulfilled by Eepies, Red Metal, Serene Dragon, Odysseus S. Grant, Zarick, ArashiKurobara, Mandoric, Darkoni, Ace Transmuter, Modoh, Rasamune, nrook, Tergaso, Unreal_One, oldskool, and subujun!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 24, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

DalaranJ posted:

Desperately trying to think of a toxx that makes W2 more interesting and failing.

Gil Turtle?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Are You Sure You're Using That Thing Correctly?: $1 per run (up to $25) for anyone who takes a picture of themselves attacking Omega with a class that's wielding a completely inappropriate weapon.

This is for charity so you don't actually have to KILL Omega like this, I just want to see Chemists wielding axes smacking the big dumb robot.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

First: So I ended up enjoying Artifact Adventure (the Japanese indie JRPG for May's FJF challenge) quite a lot! I actually didn't find the meat walls that bad except I got Death's Door (kinda the game's dungeon Teleport) somewhat mid-game. I'd just write a note and come back later. I'd say overall I enjoyed it more than a lot of the Final Fantasy games I played this year though actually my gut says it's more Dragon Quest inspired. It's not perfect especially for a job thing (I basically randomly got one of the top class set-ups, and really every group should have at least one Shaman b/c of how harsh the healing/MP system is and how bad consumables are) but I completed the game without running, got all the Jar Goblins by myself (randomly I was revisiting a dungeon trying to find a temple and grabbed the last one I missed lol), AND beat the super secret boss. I would've liked some boss weaknesses but I get it, Monk solves all problems. One of the things I liked about it was how quests and dungeons could really have rewards that mattered. Story-wise I found it kinda dark and unnerving at times which was interesting. I'm not sure how their other two games are (okay, one which was remastered more or less) but I might just have to check it out sometime.

Second: Looks like @revenantkioku was on a podcast recently, not sure if it's any good but I'll bring it up again if I found it particularly interesting.

Finally: Here's my post about Final Fantasy V Pixel that was near the end of the last thread, of particular interest if you care about Omega and... Gil Turtle?:

Doom Goon posted:

Totally forgot, I went through all this work testing FFV against the new patch (no changes) and typing up a Steam post and forgot to post it here! I want to make an ongoing community effort bug post there but we'll see how it goes. Feel free to bump it if you wish.

Basically, I wanted to share that I found you can instakill (more or less) Undead enemies w/ Drain (as well as characters with Bone Mail) due to an error with how it swaps HP (including misses and oddly Osmoses) instead of acting like normal. Since that includes Blood Sword and any class that can equip Dancing Dagger it's pretty fun. Goodbye Gil Turtle. It's also fun if you run into ExDeath's Souls and some other monsters/bosses. Unfortunately, it seems like this one was known but I just never saw it somehow?

Here's the rest of the bugs from the post that I'll just quote (worth a look, Omega is easier mostly and there's some funny ones):
  • Reflect doesn't reflect magical weapons like wands (on both reflected characters and enemies) if they are equipped on the left hand instead of the right. Unfortunately its usefulness is weakened because it doesn't work on proc reflects (like the Healing Staff and Death Sickles).
  • Earthen Wall (aka Golem) when used from the Magic Lamp only works on one person when triggered. On top of that, it seems to fail sometimes (noticed during Reflected characters but might've been a coincidence. If it was because of that enemies didn't seem to get the Earthen Wall from it). I also wanted to mention the patch list seems to mention removing the status immunities from physical attacks with Golem as a conscious choice oddly enough (in the November 10th "Future Update" release notes).

Omega bugs or oddities:
  • Surge Beam is Aegis Shield-able which is fun. Doesn't always show shield animation but nothing else (special physical evade equipment, other shields with evade %) blocks it.
  • Searched Atomic Ray acts different I believe (at least from the GBA version), hits everyone even with Search. Not sure how it reacts with reflected Search on Omega.
  • Omega is !Flirt-able (tried with the rare proc from the Lilith Rod) although of course it is very rare. Counters it unless during Search (like other moves in this version only). Speaking of, doing it during a reflected Search doesn't break or anything, think it might just delay instead of replacing.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

nrook posted:

Life's Too Short

I will donate $5 for every run that uses no Reflect Rings dropped by or stolen from enemies. (It's okay to use the one in Istory Falls.) I'll donate an additional $5 if you do this and beat Exdeath in World 2 at or under level 25, on all characters.

what about the drop from Leviathan?

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

I am now ready for this year's fiesta. May Gilgabot approve this offering for good jobs.

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
My actual first :toxx: is for getting a 100% complete Bestiary (up to 10 runs and $40, 1 run per unique player).

CourtlyHades296 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 23, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The bestiary for GBA/Matrix includes the Sealed Temple enemies. Are you going to require those?

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
A bonus $5 will be added for each of the first two people who do this, but it's optional for this :toxx: even if playing on those versions.

CourtlyHades296 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 23, 2022

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Balache404 posted:

I am now ready for this year's fiesta. May Gilgabot approve this offering for good jobs.

This requires additional love.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

FeyerbrandX posted:

This requires additional love.

Lol it's so good I thought it was an actual sprite.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1528984058302459905

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I have never participated in this, so I guess I might as well give it a try. I haven't played FFV since the year 2000 on ZSNES using some fan-translated ROM. That's... been a while.

Questions:
1) is the new shiny remaster available on Steam a good one to play?

2) I tried to sign up with my Twitter account and was met with this screen and am pretty :psyduck: about ALL the permissions this thing apparently needs, like, is this normal??

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

1) If that's the easiest way for you to play the game, and/or you don't want to mess with emulators and :filez: or getting your hands on 20 year old hardware, yeah. It's not the best version, except in a few very niche corner cases, but it's a solid one, and the differences are mostly things you likely won't even notice if you aren't looking for them. (Edit: Though there are still a few weird bugs here and there.)

2) I use a throwaway side twitter, so I didn't think much of whatever permissions it asked for.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:36 on May 24, 2022

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Saoshyant posted:

I have never participated in this, so I guess I might as well give it a try. I haven't played FFV since the year 2000 on ZSNES using some fan-translated ROM. That's... been a while.

Questions:

2) I tried to sign up with my Twitter account and was met with this screen and am pretty :psyduck: about ALL the permissions this thing apparently needs, like, is this normal??

I think the main thing you're getting with the pixel remaster is a nice updated soundtrack

Balache404 posted:

this rules

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Saoshyant posted:

I presume that the default api is just abusively powerful, and RK was too lazy to shut unused portions down.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Guessing this probably just guarantees two 750 jobs and two no750 jobs. Not that exciting for me personally, but nice for people who like having balanced parties. Maybe there's an extra twist, though?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Cattail Prophet posted:

Guessing this probably just guarantees two 750 jobs and two no750 jobs. Not that exciting for me personally, but nice for people who like having balanced parties. Maybe there's an extra twist, though?

My initial guess was 750 for Wind & Water (where the actual rod-breaking classes are) and then No750 for Fire & Earth, but it could certainly get... weirder than that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dancer.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ultrafilter posted:

Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dancer.

Got to love parties where Berserker is actually the job carrying the entire team. Equip Axes fixes pretty much all of the problems of Monk, and makes Geomancer a Rune Axe terror.

Dancer... gives ribbons to the zerky, I guess.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
What is a 750 job anyway?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

What is a 750 job anyway?

A magic-using class (+ bard/Geomancer/chemist/dancer), so named because rods (the best source of damage in the early game) cost 750 gold in Karnak.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Questions:

As gde mentioned if its the version you can get its the version to play. Like 95% of the strategies that someone would offer to give you in this thread or the discord would work just as well on PR as it would in GBA.

The remaining 5% relate to either extremely niche interactions or fighting Omega. So play PR if you don't mind not getting a triple crown with most of the "free" triplecrown teams.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 24, 2022

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
:toxx: I will match any Job Fair donations made to trade in a stronger class (higher Job Fair value) for a weaker one*, up to $300.

*not you, Beastmaster. seriously why is that $1

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Reiterpallasch posted:

Most of the internet doesn't know about Kyro's boss-cheesing spreadsheet.

Fake Edit: For anyone not in the Discord who hasn't seen it.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Even if you don't have that spreadsheet, it only takes one Bearaga to make you a believer

My first fiesta party was Thief/Summoner/Beastmaster/Dancer and you'd better believe I learned to stop worrying and love the bear

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Reiterpallasch posted:

Because RK doesn't like it.

Seriously, one of the years where he did The Run instead of speedrunners, he had Beastmaster and bitched about it the entire time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The most important think to know about RevenantKioku is that they have a bizarrely powerful ability to have good opinions about all the big things that really matter, and terrible opinions about all the little things that really don't.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Arzaac posted:

Even if you don't have that spreadsheet, it only takes one Bearaga to make you a believer

My first fiesta party was Thief/Summoner/Beastmaster/Dancer and you'd better believe I learned to stop worrying and love the bear

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

girl dick energy posted:

The most important think to know about RevenantKioku is that they have a bizarrely powerful ability to have good opinions about all the big things that really matter, and terrible opinions about all the little things that really don't.

I ended up muting him on twitter solely because he wouldn't stop retweeting his terrible video game opinions with Gilgabot

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
RK has a knack for having a few very good opinions (FF5 owns, his charity choices the past couple years) and then spamming his terrible opinions on Gilgabot during the off-season (particularly his hatred of the Ivalice games, and yes, including Tactics).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'd be fine with RK having terrible video game opinions if he kept it to his personal account instead of using Gilgabot to tweet them. Just kind of poor form to use your charity event account to say you think Tactics sucks and I can only assume it's because that one has more followers.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'd be fine with RK having terrible video game opinions if he kept it to his personal account instead of using Gilgabot to tweet them. Just kind of poor form to use your charity event account to say you think Tactics sucks and I can only assume it's because that one has more followers.

So much this. I don't even actually care about his bad opinions being bad, I care that he makes me look at them when I just want Fiesta news.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

ArashiKurobara posted:

So much this. I don't even actually care about his bad opinions being bad, I care that he makes me look at them when I just want Fiesta news.

Lately the Did You Know Gaming Twitter has been doing something similar by retweeting its creator's whining about the heyday of SMRPG and Paper Mario.

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
My first run of 2022 will be a Four Beastmaster Fiesta on the GBA version. Wing Raptor dies in 1 hit to the Goblin's Flare. I'm going to wait until the Fiesta starts before playing more.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I figure half of it is that and half of it is that Gilgamesh is loud and boisterous so he decides being ALLCAPS AND OBNOXIOUS IS IN-CHARACTER FOR GILGABOT.

Either way, it is what it is. Some people just like using their charity suit to poke hornet nests with, I guess.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

FeyerbrandX posted:

what about the drop from Leviathan?

This is a good catch.

I'm going to say you can use it. It's close, but it feels more fun to try to get players to fight Leviathan without summons if they want a reflect ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't think I've ever had a run where i had to rely on beastmaster. Honestly juggling monster hp and keeping track of release abilities just feel like a pain in the rear end, even worse than chemist.