Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Really hope the Ferrus kit allows you to magnetize the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
In terms of playstyle how do Iron Hands differ from Iron Warriors?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Just going off the WHC articles, Iron Hands get defensive bonuses while Iron Warriors get better bolters and are better at shooting big things like dreadnoughts and vehicles

Honestly not even the WHC article makes Iron Hands sound cool, get hosed Ferrus

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Iirc, Hands are more into vehicles and machines while Warriors are more into artillery and big booms.

But in practice I think they play pretty similarly

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Count Thrashula posted:

Iirc, Hands are more into vehicles and machines while Warriors are more into artillery and big booms.

But in practice I think they play pretty similarly

I was looking into playing a vehicle focused faction but artillery also sounds fun.

I might go for the Iron Hands since I could also run them in 40k but man everything I read about their primarch makes me hate him.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

:syoon: :syoon: :syoon:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Lucinice posted:

In terms of playstyle how do Iron Hands differ from Iron Warriors?

According to leaks, IH are more about being real tough, while IW are good at destroying vehicles (and dreads) and buildings.

Both of the IW rites give some boosts to vehicles, but they're not really vehicle-focused ROWs.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is it 1500 per side in the box or all together?

All together lol.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Greetings dead game 2.0 thread. In celebration, I have completed money tank 2.0- Arkhan Land’s Land Raider in the imperial webway.

The land land raider!

Vid, since a good chunk of the lights are animated:

gently caress this owns so hard

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Is this poo poo out, I wanna buy space marines

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Next month, so soon

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

My sons

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The new BSF cultists are gonna be great once Militia books drops.

Of course, going Wargame Atlantic would be cheaper, but their weapons lack the GW chonkiness and detail.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://taleofpainters.com/2022/05/first-look-the-horus-heresy-age-of-darkness-launch-set-unboxing/

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

2 part shoulder pads? Seriously?

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I believe it has something to do with casting the shoulder studs correctly and not having them be weird shapes. It’s a plastic thing.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Mr Teatime posted:

I believe it has something to do with casting the shoulder studs correctly and not having them be weird shapes. It’s a plastic thing.

Yeah. Resin moulds are made of rubber, and can flex, so resin studded pauldrons can have perfectly hemispherical studs even if the pauldron is cast in one piece. But the stainless steel they use to cast styrene plastic for the plastic kits is rigid, and so’s the plastic, so both side of the clamshell mould have to separate cleanly with no undercutting.

If you look at studded plastic pauldrons on the current tactical 40K kits or the old plastic mark IVs, you’ll see that the studs in the center of the pads are hemispherical, but as you get closer to the edge, they become pill-shaped, because the casting process can’t create a space between where the underside of the hemisphere would be and the outer curve of the pauldron. These studded pauldron are cast in two pieces so the studs can be hemispheres.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Stephenls posted:

Yeah. Resin moulds are made of rubber, and can flex, so resin studded pauldrons can have perfectly hemispherical studs even if the pauldron is cast in one piece. But the stainless steel they use to cast styrene plastic for the plastic kits is rigid, and so’s the plastic, so both side of the clamshell mould have to separate cleanly with no undercutting.

If you look at studded plastic pauldrons on the current tactical 40K kits or the old plastic mark IVs, you’ll see that the studs in the center of the pads are hemispherical, but as you get closer to the edge, they become pill-shaped, because the casting process can’t create a space between where the underside of the hemisphere would be and the outer curve of the pauldron. These studded pauldron are cast in two pieces so the studs can be hemispheres.

Okay I get it now, thank you for explaining! So this is the reason we have these elongated weird skulls on a few kits, like the Garden of Morr statue, or on one of the Empire greatsword legs I've just painted recently.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Okay I get it now, thank you for explaining! So this is the reason we have these elongated weird skulls on a few kits, like the Garden of Morr statue, or on one of the Empire greatsword legs I've just painted recently.

Yup! Once you know where to look, you can see all sorts of places on plastic kits where the need to avoid undercutting creates distortion in the sculpt. But GW is getting a lot more innovative with the way they sculpt and cast things to let them break complex shapes up into multiple parts to avoid the problem. Which is why old sprues look sensibly organized and new sprues look like chaos—designing an efficiently laid out sprue via CAD to enable maximum density of complex shapes broken up to avoid undercutting doesn’t let you put all the torsos next to each other in a line.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Review of the rulebook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn18EFRbYt0

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Oh huh.

Dreads don't use the vehicle rules anymore.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
We've discussed it extensivly in slack, but yeah, between that, their 2+, and high WS, dreads are very good this edition

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
tbh making Dreads work like Wraithlords was one of those things I've been wanting since like 4th so woo.

also means you don't need to deal with the weird corner-cases when dreads get immobilized.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Walkers as vehicles were almost universally terrible and were outshone by monstrous creatures at every turn. Turning them all into monstrous creatures is obviously the correct solution.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what are the latest rumors on release date and final price? I was originally trying my hand at 3-D printing but after tech issues, and I returned it and said to myself I’m getting that Horus box set after seeing the preview today.

I’m not actually a fan of these guys as the idea of professional mentoring in warhammer for hundreds of dollars is dumb, but they got the box set and did a video.

https://youtu.be/8w_yI4rAt8k

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 22, 2022

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Forgive me if this was in the OP and I missed it, but do we know if the Age of Darkness box is limited release, like I'll need to camp the site on preorder day, or are we going to be able to just buy it whenever?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Forgive me if this was in the OP and I missed it, but do we know if the Age of Darkness box is limited release, like I'll need to camp the site on preorder day, or are we going to be able to just buy it whenever?

I read somewhere official or maybe goonhammer that is NOT limited release and they're going to "keep it in stock".

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
During the Warhammerfest stream the presenters said it wasn’t going to be limited, and the intent seems to be to keep it as the default starter kit for the heresy for a long time.

I don’t know if I buy it. Seems like an awful tragic thing for them to get wrong, if they got that wrong.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If nothing else its probably gonna be super hard to get for a while if you dont get the initial preorder.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

With the two boxes from the last edition they did a couple print runs and they were pretty widely available for about a year, I’d expect something similar.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was similar to Kill Team: pre-order that first weekend and you'll get a copy.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I asked my wife to choose a legion for me based solely off aesthetics and she chose Sons of Horus, so I figured I'd try out a color scheme. I don't hate it!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
nice classic looking boi

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
An Alpha Legion tutorial from Vince

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55h4vPnQETM

I really like the look of the finished product

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Count Thrashula posted:

I asked my wife to choose a legion for me based solely off aesthetics and she chose Sons of Horus, so I figured I'd try out a color scheme. I don't hate it!

You know that’s a pretty cool idea. Does anyone have a good link to an image showing all the Hersey era uniforms?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Marshal Prolapse posted:

You know that’s a pretty cool idea. Does anyone have a good link to an image showing all the Hersey era uniforms?

This is the image I sent her

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/KaOigCw5ejYyx54K.jpg

JcDent
May 13, 2013

That MK2 UM :discourse:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thank you! I think I’ll also solicit suggestions from my kids. Should be interesting. I’ll report back on their suggestions.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

JcDent posted:

That MK2 CUM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Boo this man