Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Endman posted:

I'm not so addicted to huffing resin dust I'm not willing to delve into plastic, so here's a plastic predator I painted recently since we're on a new page, and new pages deserve models:

Not really up to the standards of some other painters ITT :v:, but I had a good time painting it and I'm pleased with the results.

I find sponsons the most frustrating things to paint so I greatly respect anyone who spends the time to make them look good! solid little tank!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Stephenls posted:

To me it feels like they're planning on announcing the next infantry kit with the next big Horus Heresy box, like we're going to get something that comes with thirty or forty Mark II Assault Marines (Or maybe twenty of those and twenty new recon armor scouts or whatever), two vehicles (or two squads of Saturnine Terminators, which were conspicuously namedropped in the tech dev timeline of the new Heresy corebook despite having no official visual yet), and some new HQs. But big boxes have specific launch windows and have to compete for those windows with 40k and AoS releases, and GW doesn't want to deflate potential hype for a big FOMO box by teasing any of its new contents before the box itself is announced. Vehicles not destined for box releases don't exist under those constraints, so they get Heresy Thursday announcements.

I can see them doing Breachers in a Zone Mortalis type box.

I think there's a preview event at Adepticon this month so hopefully we'll see something interesting there.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

GreenMarine posted:

Did I read it wrong? Doesn't sound like a plastic arquitor, just one that can take plastic sponsons

yep no new plastics in this one. just retools of the resin kits to accommodate the new sponson sprues and I suppose confirmation that none of those tanks or the land speeder are coming to plastic any time soon.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

There are some legitimately great squads in this article:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/29/assault-marines-come-screaming-in-from-the-horus-heresy-studio/

Big fan of these guys.

I'm a sucker for checkers and heraldry. Why yes, I do play Dark Angels.

the official box art photography kind of threw me on these but I think these are photographed at a better angle and really show that the poses are pretty good.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

At least its a better deal than the primaris jump pack squad!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Stephenls posted:

So I was thinking about this, and I was looking at the the article that covers the new infantry kits in detail and comparing it to the kit reveal in the LVO article, and I found something kind of funny.

Here's what the LVO reveal has to say about that officer kit: "The battle group is led by a Line Command Section, in which an Auxilia Troop Master barks orders over the din of battle, while four capable Veterans act as their command staff – hoisting the banner, relaying comms, and protecting their charge from harm."

That perfectly fits the entry for the Solar Auxilia Line Command Section on page 88 of Liber Imperium, and makes it clear the kit is designed to cover that specific set of models on the range.

But in the new article, it says this: "Solar Auxilia armies are directed in battle by Tactical Command Sections, comprising an Auxilia Captain* and four Companion support staff, who augment the basic Lasrifle Section with a packed upgrade sprue." And the footnote after Auxilia captain says: "* The officers of the Solar Auxilia actually go by a dizzying variety of titles, but much like “Praetor” and “Centurion” for the Legiones Astartes, “Legate Marshal” and “Captain” are decent catch-all terms."

...which makes it sound like the Line Command Section is a kit designed to cover the Legate-Marshall and Solar Auxilia Companion Section units instead, in addition to the new Lifeward Section.

I think we're looking at a set of kits that were designed to do one thing and are being pressed into a stopgap role until more kits or upgrade sprues can be launched. In specific, I think the older model is supposed to represent a Legate Marshall in heavy void armor, while the one you build from the Line Command Section upgrade sprue represents one in artificer armor. I assume they'll release a kit with heavy void armor bodies later, hopefully as swaggy as the old resin one. Meanwhile, the shown-at-LVO-but-not-in-the-FOMO-box Veletaris Storm Section kit will be the source for reinforced void armor bodies and will probably get various upgrade kits to let it be turned into other reinforced void armor guys.

It also kind of wouldn't surprise me if instead of getting separate Lasrifle Section and Line Command Section kits, we get one infantry box with four of the five-man infantry sprues and two (or maybe just one) of the Line Command Section upgrade sprues. Four five-man infantry sprues and two command section upgrade sprues would be the exact same amount of plastic in the new Heresy Tactical Squad boxes -- if you look at the pictures of the sprues, it's clear the line command section upgrade sprue is about half the size of the five-man lasrifle section sprue.

I think that's a good theory. Throwing in the command sprue as an upgrade. Hopefully it'll be 5 x 5 man sprues which would mirror whats in the fomo box.

The Veletaris sprue breakdown will be interesting as well. I wonder if it'll mirror the assault marines with 2x5 infantry sprues and 1 big sprue with axes etc.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I could see them going resin for some of the command options like they have with marines.

I feel like 30k has a limited sprue "budget" especially with infantry and they're getting as much as they can with as few sprues as possible for the infantry. Even with space marines there's only 3 main infantry sprues (vi, iii, vi assault) with two upgrade sprues. We're on at least 2 infantry with 1 upgrade (probably 2) with solar aux already.

But then we're getting like two different sentinel kits with one having two options. Would have probably preferred expanded infantry to those. So who knows what the ultimate strategy is

Looks like tanks will have a lot of shared sprues. At least a new upgrade sprue and it looks like the weapons between the leman russ and malcador kits are the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Stephenls posted:

No, it's just a transparent bag as far as I can tell.

If anyone else gets the box I'd be curious if it's identical across all of them or if I just randomly got a weird bag with extras.

I counted mine just now and got to 30/31 bases (not sure if there was a 25mm from an older project floating around on my desk)