Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
woah new thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Fun from the 1.0 era

Ghazk fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 19, 2022

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

About six years ago, me and a buddy were playing Epic Armageddon at Bellevue Mox on a quiet weekend. I remember there being a 2v2 game going on at a table diagonally from us. I didn't know the people at the table, but one person had some iron warriors that included two custom vindicators with big fuckin' barrels, and one of the other players had dark angels with very distinct edge highlighting. They were very loud.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

Der Waffle Mous posted:

looking at the Alpha Legion playtest list I feel like I'm going to need to have Rewards of Treachery explained to me.

Mutable Tactics I think I get in that you're jacking another legion's unique reaction once per game but also boo no more army-wide infiltrate/counterattack/move through cover.

Rewards basically just boils down to: take up to 3 units from other legions. They don’t have to be from the same legion.

They worded it in a very bizarre manner.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Primaris were mentioned in one of the Siege of Terra books so they're heresy approved.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

:syoon: :syoon: :syoon:

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

A destroyer squad and another dreadclaw will put this at 2500!

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Missile launchers are growing on me as an acceptable unslung configuration. Really well done!

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Please respect the death of the 2nd and 11th legions. They aren't the samurai legion and anime legion.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Intro to Warhammer 30K The Horus Heresy – Choosing a Legion

One of the axioms of modern wargaming is an accurate representation of a force within a known chaotic theatre. Relative final state varies from game system to game system but are not entirely unrelated. Idealized linear resolution of choice based on parameters such as “it looks cool” or it “performs well” in much simpler systems such as Warhammer 40,000 are pedestrian in nature and the Horus Heresy requires a more nondeterministic approach that exhibits divergence from predictable trajectories. The nonlinearity implies loss of causality between the perturbation of the setting and the effects propagated in time. Players looking for basic requirements for choosing a legion to represent in the Horus Heresy game system will find basic requirements outlined below.

The initial thought many players new to the Horus Heresy system have is “Systems that begin with known, but slightly changed initial conditions result in completely different outcomes. How can choosing a legion be resolved without infinite prediction?” It is a legitimate question, but fortunately, there exists a system for reducing complex systems to elementary models for some values of the parameters. Let’s explore these parameters:

Step 1 – Faction Factor
Faction factor as a percent of deviation of current utilization can be expressed as

Remember that a positive sensitivity parameter is required for the Horus Heresy. Using a negative sensitivity parameter will still compile but implies a Dornian Heresy and additional correction factors must be accounted for.

Step 2 – Legion Balance
Legion balance is a linear function depending on current deployment rates weighted against the corresponding rates for the last period written as the expected stable value.

These coefficients are required to be greater than zero because the assumption is being made that your collection will both increase, and your compromise probability became deterministic upon visiting the Forgeworld website and deciding to invest in the Horus Heresy.

Step 3 – Picking a Legion
Once Faction Factor and Legion Balance has been determined, one must consult the Legion Ally Matrix which is presented in several publications, but poorly explained. It is presented below (Fig. 1) and recreated again on the right (Fig.2) in a mathematically approachable version where relationship levels have been converted to a numerical representation.

With a known faction factor percentage and legion balance value determined, cross reference them against the dot product of sets containing desired legion traits, which are shown as vertical bars. Under certain circumstances, logistic crisis can arise in the interval tendencies. In these cases, turnover can be achieved by comparing armor color assets to the bifurcation diagram (Fig. 3). Note that this is applicable only to power armor MK6 and earlier.

Don’t forget to list the cardinality of sets that feed into your scalar product consideration on your army list. This value is often used to determine who is the aggressor in a scenario, as well as who is the traitor/loyalist when a single legion is subjected to infighting. It can be very embarrassing to be the only player at the narrative event to be disqualified for having an unstable bijection.
As you can see, a lot more goes into choosing a legion than one might suspect at first glance. I hope this guide helps clarify the process for you as a new player.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
*You need to place your models in a GW Teleportarium (Sold separately) to use the teleport special rule on this datacard.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

Got a HH2.0 game in last night! I played Iron Hands vs Salynne's Emperor's Children.
The scenario was Tide of Carnage: Your deployment zone is worth 3 points, no-mans land worth 5 points, and the enemy's deployment zone is worth 7 points. Vehicles gain scoring.

Salynne's only scoring units were a Cerberus and 20 man tactical squad. My scoring units were 2 Immortal squads, an Arquitor, 3 Sabres, and a command squad. By the end, we both contested no-man's land, but I was able to keep my fast tanks far from the foot slogging infantry and secured both of our deployment zones.

A few takeaways:
Immortals are amazing tarpits. Ld10 Stubborn is basically fearless so you have to kill them completely, can't rely on a sweep.
Iron Hands Leviathans are immune to disintegrators!
Salynne ditched most of her transports and tried out a foot based army. It worked well to establish skirmish lines, and it was only the scenario giving tanks scoring that tipped the game in my favor. Any other scenario I probably would have lost.

Notable moments:
The arquitor completely missed every shot it took despite having a 7" blast.
A lone immortal survived a combat round against a squad of phoenix terminators and a phoenix champion.
The neutron blaster sabre continued to disappoint by failing to hit/pen/wound anything

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
I ran 2 Larnaean squads last week with conversion beamers and was fairly happy with the results. Blind is a big deal when it lands, even if you're not optimizing the weapon's damage.

Ghazk fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 28, 2022

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
I'm excited for LVO ZM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

Fire