Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

JcDent posted:

I did the math and it's nearly 1500 out of the box before you add any upgrades, so get one of each of your legion's snowflake units and you can play at 2500.

Is it 1500 per side in the box or all together?

I'm getting really excited for the idea of my FLGS getting into some HH; just based on what I've heard of the rules I think it'll suit me better than 40k, I really prefer a crunchier rule set more in step with historical wargaming.

Are the rules in the upcoming starter box going to be new or could I jump start by ordering a book now?

Edit: I read through the box announcement and saw that it contains a new rulebook that isn't currently for sale.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Forgive me if this was in the OP and I missed it, but do we know if the Age of Darkness box is limited release, like I'll need to camp the site on preorder day, or are we going to be able to just buy it whenever?

I read somewhere official or maybe goonhammer that is NOT limited release and they're going to "keep it in stock".

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

jadebullet posted:

I've got a box on pre-order now and will probably be splitting a second one with my friend.

Wait, is the big boxed set available for pre order now?? It's surprisingly hard for me to Google an answer, I'm just getting preview articles from sites like goonhammer.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh, that's cool; phew, haven't missed the window.

My FLGS owner gives us 25% off on things we buy or order on the second Saturday of the month but vaguely says I have to "message him" on face book about it even though I've come into the store two loving times and said "yo can I buy or order the $160 kill teams essential collection" :argh:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So, if I'm reading that Games Workship article correctly, the Horus Heresy Big Box is available for pre order this weekend?

I love that old Rhino with the independently mounted bolters; 30k effectively leverages it pseudo historical setting as nostalgia.

I'm thinking of relativity inexpensive ways to build out the box just a bit: maybe Rhino, heavy weapon sprue, and possibly one more marine squad?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Crazy Ferret posted:

I imagine it will be easier to use a 30k traitor army in 40k than a loyalist one with the shift being towards Primaris.

In this legal in, say, these "[CITY] Open" type tournaments I hear about in the badcast? I imagine those are the most organized/formal I'd ever do, and I'd certainly considered running 30k minis in 40k.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I haven't played in a decade, and the current vehicle rules make me very mad, but when I recommitted myself to the hobby I swore I'd play games, including with strangers and at tournaments, and by default I figured that meant 40k. But hey, maybe this boxed set changes that??

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

BULBASAUR posted:

Which legions are you new folks thinking of starting?

Honestly, Ultramarines. I've never had an army of them even though they're the default, and I've liked them a lot ever since the fuff developed them out to be the Marines that value logistics. I really like that, and their emphasis on a balanced force of combined arms (with a slight bias towards infantry), and being generally good rulers and protectors who maintain the closest thing to a good place to live fine hundred works of Ultramar.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Speaking of the novels, What are the best three books in the Horus Heresy? I hear some people swear X is great, some people think X is actually bad; I'm a bit on the picky side when it comes to fiction but I liked Eisenhorn, and I figure if I get a cross section of what people think is the best of the best I can't go far wrong.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

BULBASAUR posted:

Ijyt asked earlier, but would you new folks like us to do a legion by legion breakdown?

Yes, absolutely. I've read the goonhammer articles and have a general osmosis level of knowledge, but I'd love to an effort post on them.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is this the LVO that start Jan 26th 2023?

https://www.lasvegasopen.net/home-1

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Really appreciating all the book recommendations, as someone who already knows they enjoy Dan Abbnet and who also has vague recollections of the first few books from read up through Flight of the Eisenstein when it was published, I jumped straight into Know No Fear. However, I don't want to neglect this other author who's so well regarded so I'm probably going to make betrayer my next choice.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Read the first article, extremely gratified to learn I won't be buying into a hobby right as a worse edition comes out.

However, I was very interested in Zone Mortalis; am I right in thinking it's indefinitely suspended until or unless it's reintroduced in this new edition?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Should the new boxed set be up for preorder now? My FLGS owner seems to think not, but honestly he sometimes seems bizarrely unwilling to take my money and buy. the. thing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

AnEdgelord posted:

Its on the GW website for preorder so I don't know what the hold up would be for the FLGS owner

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/horus-heresy-age-of-darkness-2022-eng

My store actually took preorders earlier this week just to make sure they got them all in in time

I'll tell you what up, he said "I've already ordered six, and I don't know if I'll even get those, and I don't want to take your order and then have to refund it".

Ok bro, sure. Not like I'm only buying this easily purchasable poo poo through your store just a favor to you. Pft, I'm going to just buy a copy online right now.

Last time he just wouldn't order a kill team book, dice, and tokens. Just told me to "message him on FB about it. I'm in your fuckin' store telling you I want the poo poo!

I *think* it's less about him being a terrible business man and more about him giving 90% of his focus to the whales that buy and game there.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I just pre-ordered it. Did I make a mistake by not buying one or both of the "codex" books? poo poo.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

[Post] your Game Goals.

To defeat a traitor Primarch using a generic character imbued with my own personal narrative.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was surprised when I read the change to weapons and squad composition; I'd always considered the restrictions on Primaris some sort of strange stopgap but, no, GW really seems to like it.

I'm going to have a very hard time letting go of the concept of the core infantry foundation being a ten man tactical squad with one assault weapon, one heavy weapon, and one close combat Sargent. However, I'll do my best to try it.

So are things like flamers only going to appear in infantry form as something like a devastator squad?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What's the size minimum on these Legion Support Squads? Five models?

I'm recalling things like Close Combat, a historical WW2 game, where a squad might be a dozen men but a flame thrower was a one or two man "team". I'd really like to have, say, a pair of flamers, but I suppose the reality of hitting, wounding, etc, means that you really do need several to have an impact.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
One more question:

The HH box contains, I think 40 "basic" marines with bolt rifles. I'd like to hear any conversion or accessory sprue plans people have.

For example, someone earlier mentioned converting out a special character using a special vox pack the box has?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Are we going to be able to use that land rider esque tank, I forget the name, in ZM?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My LGS that "couldn't" pre order me a Horus Heresy box has his shelves crammed with a half dozen of them. Too bad I already ordered one direct from GW!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've received notification of my codex book, but not the boxed set.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My Liber Astartes book hasn't arrived yet but I'm amusing myself at work by thinking about my army: I know that squads will all be identically equipped, but what about the Sargent? For example in a tactical squad of bolt rifles can I have a Sargeant with a power sword and plasma pistol?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What's the minimum recommend points size and board size for ZM? And maybe a recommended org chart restriction? Like Combat Patrol levels of ZM.

500 points, 2x2, 1 HQ, 1 Troop, 1 something else?

I'd like to craft up a minimum viable board and opposing force to let my friends play a bit with me.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Cool, I was just guessing but HH is enough like older Warhammer that I could at least make an educated guess. If anyone has played at this level and has any recommendations for further restrictions, I'd appreciate it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I made a basic spread sheet to cross check a 30k army against a 40k army, both using the HH boxed set (and some weapon boxes). Does the HH portion seem legal? Also, I'd welcome any advice or commentary on the troop choices.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hmmm. I can make that change in 30k and then that Sargeant just becomes another devastator in 40k, with one of the Bolt Rifle Marines becoming the Sargent in 40k. So that should work!

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 28, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Also, in the case of the big boxed set, I don't think there are any dedicated hand to hand units except for possible configurations of the terminators and dreadnought, so you may well be asking those tactical Marines to go into melee.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Imperial Fists officers brag about crunch.

If the Crusade Force consists entirely of Imperial Fists, All troops gain "GRIND INFANTRY":

GRIND INFANTRY don't HAVE to secure the objective, but if none of them volunteer to secure the objective this turn, then the whole army has move on the objective next turn guys, c'mon be a team player.

Really, Rogal Dorn thinks of the Imperial Fists Legion as more of a family.

If you take a GRIND INFANTRY unit without any upgrades, do you really want to have the minimum amount of flair?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://youtu.be/pPLHZKPR9Bc

Someone showing some pretty simple methods for painting the first half of the legions. I didn't realize Dark Angels looked like that, even though I'm familiar with that iconic old painting.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is there some sort of prohibition at major tournaments regarding kitbashing these days, even with 100% GW products? I feel like I already asked that in a thread since getting back into the hobby, but surely the answer is to bulk out the SA with some Astra Militarum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
A LOT of the "chapters" quietly ignore the size limitations of the Codex. Ironically, the literal biggest offender are the Ultramarines, because so many of their successor chapters adhere so strongly to the rigid Orthodox of the Codex that ... They slot immediately and seamlessly into any Ultramar war plans. Does it really matter if your legion is divided into Chapters if all the chapters still work together?