Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
10 years later, 30k still better than 40k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Also we have a dedicated 30k slack server. Anyone reading this, PM me if you'd like an invite

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 18, 2022

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Militia still the best army and faction

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Almost done with these 10 seekers/scouts

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Snake Dance posted:

This is the perfect jumping-off point for the Horus Heresy Hobby. Untold worlds of gaming await you if you are but bold enough to claim them. Except for militia players.

Militia will release last, so they have maximum power creep. As the warmaster intended.

Lucinice posted:

Are 40k mechanicum units playable in HH or is it the forge world ones only? They've been one of my choices for a 40k army.

In general, mechanicum != to adeptus mechanicus. There was almost no model crossover in 1.0 which will likely remain in 2.0, but that's speculation. You can always convert or proxy, but the aesthetics are also a bit different. Rumor is plastic thallax/ursurax at the very least

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Personally I don't rate immortals very highly, mostly due to points cost. They're really tough, sure, but they don't really do anything else well besides dying slowly. Gorgons seem like a better choice for most situations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Man, its hard to describe playing a game for almost a decade from the very first book when nobody even knows what it is, to it petering out, and then to it becoming main-line supported by GW. In that time I've built friendships, been extremely mad, and made others extremely mad. Sad to see the old edition go in a way, we've been together for so long, but I'm also excited to start seeing the new game. The rules look hot and I'm hard for the new memories we'll make, and the new levels of mad we will discover together.

Here are some of my 1.0 Heresy Memories. Feel free to post yours:

Here it is. My 1st game of heresy with the PNW crew. I'm playing Iron Hands because only book 2 is out. Panascope is playing OP necrons. Stanyer has some netlist. Hixon Eldar aren't even on the table. We're playing 30k in 40k because nobody plays Heresy at this point, but 40k is becoming a poo poo show.

My first game on an incredible table against a cool and chill friend who is heresy curious down in Game Castle in the bay area. We play a few times, but its still 30k in 40k because the system is still catching on. I'm mostly painted now which is cool!

Heresy comes to the PNW. People start armies and I narrate a big narrative campaign. It culminates in models being thrown against a wall. We never finish the campaign or do narrative games again. Somehow heresy still takes root.

Hersey is in full swing. I have a militia army and I love it. This is an incredible 4 way game on an incredible table. My militia and Ghazk's SoH/Alpha Legion hold the line against Space Wolves and TKWG's Dark Angels. The loyalists cheat and win in the end, I am very salty.

My ZM table. Its a big hobby milestone for me in terms of quality, size, and volume.

My dark mech. The army I always wanted, but could never have. My favorite to play and model, by far. I have lots of pictures of them tearing up LVO and beyond. Like a good magos I can't stop tinkering with them and I'm so excited to basically re-do them in the next few years.

In loving memory of those that fell during 1.0

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 19, 2022

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I don't read the black library books, but if you can find a .pdf of the out of print black books they offer a condensed historical type narrative for all the legions. It makes many of them more interesting than you might otherwise think based on one authors interpretation. Going for what looks cool to paint or play is also totally cool and good

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ghazk posted:

About six years ago, me and a buddy were playing Epic Armageddon at Bellevue Mox on a quiet weekend. I remember there being a 2v2 game going on at a table diagonally from us. I didn't know the people at the table, but one person had some iron warriors that included two custom vindicators with big fuckin' barrels, and one of the other players had dark angels with very distinct edge highlighting. They were very loud.

I'm sure it was the beer! :shobon:

I still have pix of when your WS clowned my poor militia a few years later :)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Some will take full advantage, for example space wolves or world eaters, who can buff their default troops through wargear/rules to make them very scary.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sergent turned out better than I expected

Reading your poo poo posts in real time

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Next month, so soon

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Review of the rulebook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn18EFRbYt0

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
We've discussed it extensivly in slack, but yeah, between that, their 2+, and high WS, dreads are very good this edition

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
nice classic looking boi

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

JcDent posted:

That MK2 CUM

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

No changes that I can see from their leaked rules. Very excited to finish my fifteen Red Hand Destroyers.

which hand will be red

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

Here’s a couple of the Destroyers

I really like these man

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

ijyt posted:

Would someone be down to do a legion rules comparison between the classic and new rules?

I would be down, but we don't have full rules yet

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
mods?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

AnEdgelord posted:

-gently caress the Emperor

glad to have another traitor join up

as the saying goes, loyalists are boring!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Buschmaki posted:

I NEED to see the Salamanders rules....

Since you asked nicely

https://imgur.io/a/rOTjbG2

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Night lords whine a lot, huh weird

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If you're too lazy to filter through that mega imgur album:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer3...tm_source=share

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Not exactly, no, but the changes are pretty minor. The rules used at the event were not representative of what's in the books

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Done except cleanup!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pinwiz11 posted:

Good to know. Has that part been posted anywhere? I'd like to look at them prior to the pre-order day to decide on other purchases.

Check the OP for V1/V3 versions. Final versions haven't leaked yet, but probably will this week

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Jack B Nimble posted:

So, if I'm reading that Games Workship article correctly, the Horus Heresy Big Box is available for pre order this weekend?

I love that old Rhino with the independently mounted bolters; 30k effectively leverages it pseudo historical setting as nostalgia.

I'm thinking of relativity inexpensive ways to build out the box just a bit: maybe Rhino, heavy weapon sprue, and possibly one more marine squad?

Yeah the pseudo historical setting is a big appeal and its one of the reasons narrative gaming tends to dominate the scene- though the interpretation of narrative varies (the harshest dumpsterings I have received came from brutal cool fluffy themed armies)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, at least in our league traitors have always been more popular. 40k is more a story about the loyalists, so maybe its not a surprise that people want to explore the stories of the traitors. Their rise and fall is often more tragic and interesting, and in the Heresy they're full fledged legions rather than homogenous spiky boys

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
** hog sounds **

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Which legions are you new folks thinking of starting?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Jack B Nimble posted:

Speaking of the novels, What are the best three books in the Horus Heresy? I hear some people swear X is great, some people think X is actually bad; I'm a bit on the picky side when it comes to fiction but I liked Eisenhorn, and I figure if I get a cross section of what people think is the best of the best I can't go far wrong.

I'm listening to Scars right now and, besides laughing at a white guy doing Asian voices, its good!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ijyt asked earlier, but would you new folks like us to do a legion by legion breakdown?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Glad to see so much interest! Seeing how much there is, the Slack hivemind is working on an overview of each legion. We won't cover everything in depth, but it should give you new folks an idea of how they play, changes from the 1st to 2nd edition, and that sort of thing. We hope to do one every few days starting this weekend.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

BirdieBedtime posted:

I'm excited to get back to my XXth Legion. They've lain fallow for a couple years as I was pretty dissatisfied with they way they played in 1.0. I either had a list that was horribly unfun to play against or vanilla models with an extra movement phase. The initial leaks brought me back in and I'm looking forward to finishing upscaling my Headhunters, now that they're useful. I even got enough done to head out to what was one of the last local events in 1.0 (and get my rear end beat).

I really like those objective markers!

AchtungBaby posted:

This might be a stupid question. But, could I just paint the box set as crimson fists and use them in 40k official tournaments as classic marines?

Probably a better question for the 40k thread

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Ok, i did it. I’m weak. I bought some HH stuff. Now I need good custom Alpha Legion heads and shoulder pads - where do I look that’s not FW?

Either 3d print or you join slack and learn the dark ways

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If you're coming into this from 40k, most of the unit building tropes are quite different

Jack B Nimble posted:

What's the size minimum on these Legion Support Squads? Five models?

I'm recalling things like Close Combat, a historical WW2 game, where a squad might be a dozen men but a flame thrower was a one or two man "team". I'd really like to have, say, a pair of flamers, but I suppose the reality of hitting, wounding, etc, means that you really do need several to have an impact.

10 guys for your heavy or tactical support squads, they must carry a special weapon. All can take various transports like rhinos or land raiders. That's right- 10 lascannons, 10 plasma guns, 10 multi meltas, etc and a tank

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
To help orient you new folks coming into 30k, some of our veteran heresy players have taken time to write about their favorite legions- how they play, how they've changed, and other helpful things if you're on the fence or interested to hear from experienced players. We're shooting for doing two legions a day in their numerical order, as decreed by the Warmaster:

1st Legion: The Dark Angels

quote:

+ Legion Overview +
=============================================================================
The Dark Angels, the “honorable” First Legion, served as the original template for all those that came after them. Being the first legion, they were entrusted with technologies from the dark age of technology, serving as technologically adept problem solvers who would not shy away from destroying entire planets for the growing Imperium of Man. Thematically Dark Angels fit into a knightly theme with ample use of armor plates that harkon to old suits of armor with bright knightly liveries. Checker patterns are a key part of this legion’s identity along with primary colors, such as red, on bolters or accents. As a legion with multiple knightly orders, emblems of secret societies, keys, books, and robes are not uncommon. Don’t confuse this for their more esoteric depiction in 40k, however.

Painting this legion can be quite challenging, but there is a ton of room for customization and personalization in even the most ‘orthodox’ forces. No other legion offers the same range of variety. Even lowly tactical marines display their own markings and a well-painted Dark Angels army has splashes of color scattered throughout. As a fairly popular legion, you’ll be able to find a plethora of background material and unique units, characters, and RoW.

+ Edition Changes +
Ironically, the Dark Angels were one of the legions to get their rules released last in the original game, including lots of variety to make up for the lost time. Unfortunately, support for 30k was waxing by then, and this reflected in their overall rules quality. Thankfully, the first legion has been completely reworked for the new edition. With six different legion rules and six unique Rites of War, the Dark Angels can selectively apply benefits to make efficient lists. While they’ve lost some of their wargear, such as the ubiquitous stasis grenades, what’s left has been tweaked to be worthwhile. Terranic greatswords in particular are possibly one of the best legion-specific melee weapons in the new edition.

There is an interesting wrinkle here – Independent Characters can join units with different wing rules from themselves. This means that it is possible to run units with two or three different wing rules in a Dark Angels army. This is accounted for in the rules, however, and a unit can only have one such rule active at a time, effectively allowing you to switch perks at the start of your turn. Between this and the various options, Dark Angels players have lots of room to customize their army and play in a way that suits them best.

+ Departmento Mathematica +
In-game, the Dark Angels are a generalist legion with a melee skew. Six wings with different rules lets you comfortably use any unit without worrying about missing out on bonuses. While the individual bonuses may not be as strong as other legions, the trade-off is that each of your units can use something that is relevant to them. The downside is that certain unit types slot into specific wings too easily. For example, dreadnoughts want to be in Ironwing or Dreadwing, but see little benefit, if any, from the others. In normal lists, Dark Angel armies will feature a broad spectrum of rules that will take practice to get right.

As mentioned, there are six unique Dark Angels Rites of War. These are structured around the six wings of the legion that trade the flexibility of standard lists for further specialization and attached bonuses. These can be a bit of a mixed bag, unfortunately, and some may be better represented by generic Rites of War:
  • The Steel Fist (Ironwing) – Tanks and mechanized infantry. Predators as troops and broader access to land raiders and spartans as dedicated transports. Kratos tanks are available as elites for some reason.
  • The Eskaton Imperative (Dreadwing) – The special war crimes division. Cover the board in dangerous terrain and fight dirty with destroyers and interemptors.
  • The Storm of War (Stormwing) – Massed infantry formations supported by additional officers. With this Rite it’s possible to field more basic troops than any other legion.
  • The Unbroken Vow (Deathwing) – Veterans and terminators hell-bent on taking objectives at all costs.
  • The Seeker’s Arrow (Ravenwing) – Bikes, jetbikes, and land speeders. Outflank and outmaneuver the opponent. Limited access to vehicles and can only take one Heavy Support choice.
  • The Serpent’s Bane (Firewing) – Assassinate the enemy’s leaders and elites, but if you don’t you can give up a lot of victory points. Heavy focus on infiltrating and seekers are available as troops.
The Dark Angels also have three unique units – the Deathwing Companions, Dreadwing Interemptors, and Inner Circle Knights::
  • Deathwing Companions – The ultimate bodyguard unit. Completely immune to the effects of sniper and precision shot/strike. They have access to unique shields that grant the whole unit invulnerable saves and reduce enemy units’ initiative. However, unlike regular command squads, they lack a standard bearer.
  • Dreadwing Interemptors – Destroyers armed with plasma flamethrowers. There’s not much else to say here.
  • Inner Circle Knights – A very strong terminator unit armed with terranic greatswords and/or thunder hammers. They also wield smaller, weaker plasma flamethrowers. As their main gimmick, each unit of Inner Circle gets to pick from a list of special rules. These aren’t as well-balanced as they could be and there are clear favorites such as re-rolling wound rolls against high toughness targets or getting extra attacks when in contact with multiple enemies. That said, they’re a nice boost and let the player customize their unit a bit.
The Dark Angels have their primarch, two named characters, and a unique consul option:
  • Paladin of the Hekatonystika – This guy is honestly a steal at +30 points. Not only does he have elevated stats (WS6 and Ld10), but he also gains Stubborn and Adamantium Will. On top of that he gets to choose a special rule from the Orders of the Hekatonystika available to Inner Circle Knights and gets a terranic greatsword for free. Unless you have a specific plan for your centurions/consuls, just take this upgrade.
  • Corswain – One of the best duellist praetors in the game. Seriously. The only things holding him back are his lackluster warlord trait and the lack of Eternal Warrior, but that applies to everyone that isn’t Sigismund. He is a challenge monster striking at I7 and inflicting instant death on a 4+ to wound. He’ll hit most things on a 2+ too thanks to his WS7 and Deathwing bonus.
  • Marduk Sedras – Old man war crimes expert. During deployment he grants Preferred Enemy to any friendly units deployed within 6” of him or his transport. Younger space marines just love hearing his stories. He’s also got a pretty nasty S9 sword and is loaded up with phosphex bombs and a plasma burner. His warlord trait allows him to take a unit of Inner Circle Knights as a retinue.
  • The Lion – Arguably one of the better duelist primarchs, he’s very good at what he does, but doesn’t do much to alter how your army plays. He has a few gimmicks such as a guaranteed 8” charge or gaining attacks as he loses wounds. He also benefits from the Dark Angels’ wing special rules, but has the unique ability to shift his selected rule every turn.
Dark Angels are one of the more complex legions to paint and play as befits their background. On the tabletop, this is a strong legion capable of playing in all phases of the game and with a huge variety of lists. However, things will be simpler than they may seem here. With a little practice, players will be able to identify which wing bonuses work best with which units and write their lists accordingly. Dedicated hobbyists will also be able to work these into their models through transfers or even freehand. A good Dark Angels army will blend rules and aesthetics for a combination that’s hard to beat.

2nd Legion: REDACTED

quote:

+ Legion Overview +

+ Edition Changes +

3rd Legion: The Emperor’s Children

quote:

+ Legion Overview +
Want to play the legion that has the Primarch with the biggest body count? Consider yourself and your army perfect in every way? Then look no further than the Emperor’s Children. They’re the only legion that was allowed by the Emperor to display the aquila across the entire force, no questions asked, because they outperformed all other legions when they wanted to. Despite this, they allied with Horus, because the Emperor is a chump.

Aesthetically, the Emperor’s Children favored MKIV armor, with much of the official art showing off MKIV or MKVI for some special cases. Despite their eventual fall to Slaanesh, regal ‘n clean remains the predominant theme, with ample use of the aquila and accentuated baroque armor trim. There is a rich amount of background material for this legion, from their beginnings to their eventual descent into corruption, present in a variety of unique units, RoW, and characters. (including the ability to field Noise Marines as troops!). The main head of Horus Heresy at Games Workshop, Andy, plays Emperor’s Children. So really they’re god's favorite.

+ Edition Changes +
As one of the first legions with rules in the original game, the Emperor’s Children had a number of updates to bring them in line with later edition legions. In 2.0, there are major updates to Phoenix Terminators, Palatine Blades, and a new consul- the Phoenix Warden. A common rule between all three is called Skill Unmatched, which allows you to pick one of three trade-off buff/debuffs for your unit in every round of combat. This lets you tailor to the strengths and weaknesses of the unit you’re engaged with, adding a lot of depth to your melee options. Additionally, Phoenix Rapiers have been added in addition to Phoenix Spears, and both rapiers and spears have Murderous Strike, making your legion’s melee units even more deadly thanks to the chance to cause Instant Death. Baby paragon blades for everyone! Palatine Blades sadly lost their jump packs, which I will be writing a very stern letter to Andy about. Andy how could you. This is your own legion!!!

Overall the Emperor’s Children are a melee focused legion, generally emphasizing striking first, exactly where needed, or suffering consequences, while being backed by ranged support. While they do have some shooting buffs, they are defensive in nature, so their bread and butter remains going first in melee and being good at it. This is a legion that leans light on vehicles to play to these strengths, as you won’t be getting the full effect of your Legion rules if you want nothing but tanks. Your LA gives you +1 initiative when you charge, which is huge when you consider swinging first leaves your opponent with less models to strike back. Sonic Shrieker wargear is incredibly strong, and is recommended on every melee unit by taking it on characters or sergeants. The Maru Skara RoW emphasizes setting up charges and ambushes out of reserves, while 3rd Company Elite gives you a strong backbone of shooting in your basic troops.

For flavor, the Emperor’s Children were big fans of Lascannons, which gained Sunder in the new edition, and you can’t really go wrong finding ways to take Lascannons in the new edition. Overall, you want to find ways to get into melee to take advantage of your LA rule and melee enhancing wargear. To get good at playing Emperor’s Children means finess- getting very good at lining up your charges how you need them, knowing which units counter others, and if you aren’t the one getting the charge, finding ways to mitigate the loss of your advantages. Always Be Measuring and thinking ahead of where your opponent will move and make sure the charge odds are ever in your favor.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Gato The Elder posted:

So I ordered a few sets of the Dark Angels MK3 resin shoulder pads; does anyone know if those will fit on the new plastic MK6 bodies without looking weird?

From what I've seen the resin stuff fits pretty well on the new MK6 bodies. The height changed, but the size of shoulder pads is about the same (and MK3 pads were always on the bigger side)