Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
looking at the Alpha Legion playtest list I feel like I'm going to need to have Rewards of Treachery explained to me.

Mutable Tactics I think I get in that you're jacking another legion's unique reaction once per game but also boo no more army-wide infiltrate/counterattack/move through cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Oh huh.

Dreads don't use the vehicle rules anymore.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

tbh making Dreads work like Wraithlords was one of those things I've been wanting since like 4th so woo.

also means you don't need to deal with the weird corner-cases when dreads get immobilized.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

as an aside I really like how the (playtest) rules for loyalist Alpha Legion are very clearly not.

you get bonus vp for getting your loyalist allied detachment killed

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Alpha Legion's different from the leak earlier in the thread.

"First Move/Shoot/Charge in a phase can't be reacted to" is replaced with "enemies treat you as 2 inches further away than you really are" which is... something?

Rewards of Treachery is now only one unit instead of three outside of the Coils ROW.

Mutable Tactics is just gone so being able to jack another legion's special rule on a unit is replaced by a honestly kinda underwhelming but potentially hilarous once per battle deep-strike redeploy reaction to being shot.

The funny loyalist WT stays the same, but Master of Lies again drops the anti-reaction ability for a beginning of the game redeployment, and Hydran Excurser drops the ability to steal another Legion Astartes rule for a weaker(?) Preferred Enemy?

Coils of the Hydra's mostly the same other than the extra Rewards of Treachery units and the stipulation that you need more regular AL units than Rewards units. Headhunter Leviathal's the same but the mention of Headhunters as troops no longer has "compulsory" but I don't know enough about the new construction rules to know if this is relevant.

Wargear remains mostly the same and thankfully the Headhunter sgt no longer needs to replace his dagger so can get an extra fist attack.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 30, 2022

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Yeah the changes to Alpha Legion I'm not tickled about. That change you got there makes me very sad. Basically knocked the off of my list as potentional legion :(

feels like they just got... weirdly defense oriented? Or at least reaction oriented.

Also in the weird spot where as written they're a worse army against anything that isn't Astartes.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Super tempted by SoH but I'm already deep in 3d-printed Alpha Legion iconography I'm staying the course.

That said permanently subtracting 2 from your enemy's charge distances and weapon ranges is still pretty good.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

think they're the only line terminators outside of the veteran RoW.

Banestrike bolters also got a bump in strength so Headhunters don't seem as bad.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

How do people usually paint AL's rewards of treachery units?

Original legion colors (hidden hydra optional) or are there iridescent blue/green siege tyrants?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

The primaris squad composition was if anything an intentional throwback to legion squad compositions

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Main difference between them and devestators is EVERYONE gets a weapon including the sergeant.

None of this 4 lascannons plus ablative wounds nonsense

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

that's the logic I'm working with.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Doing my headhunters in mk.II armor.

And yeah the Lernaeans big but unexciting thing is they seem to be the only terminator unit with Line outside of RoWs.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Adding a number to the USR probably fixes this complaint but I'm mostly remembering those times around edition changes where entire armies get flung around the power rankings because the USR the codex changed.

I'm looking at you, dark eldar and fnp.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Oh weird, I figured there'd be more cross compatibility since with the old kits everything but the MKIV rocket launcher was meant to be used with the same arms you'd use for the bolter.

But the new ones have the left hand molded onto the handguards so you're probably going to have to clip those hands off.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Are we finally gonna find out what a Helical Targetting Array looks like or am I confusing that with a different piece of dreadnought wargear?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Oh wait yeah I was thinking of the Atomantic Pavaise

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Armadillo Donut that is neither from the UK or China

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Weird to me that Indomitus terminators seem to be a way to get (worse) stormshields and assault cannons to match the kits but not the missile launcher.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Much like the tragedy of the Salamanders for some reason never properly rebuilding over 10,000 years the Emperor's Children could never source enough purple paint in the Eye.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Angron

He's so angry.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

mauls with AP3 just seems wrong.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Mercurius posted:

I believe BULBASAUR means Warlord Trait rather than ROW. Several of the factions that didn't have specific allegiance Warlord Traits now have them which means that things like Traitor Ultramarines and Loyalist Word Bearers can be an actual thing on the tabletop now where they couldn't before.

It also amuses me that the Alpha Legion just straight up doesn't have Loyalist/Traitor and you can run them with either.

Alpha Legion only has a loyalist WT.

That's how you know they're the most loyal.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

TTerrible posted:

Well this is perfect timing. Can you do one opening a can of surstromming?

there's your Space Wolf Siegebreaker/destroyer squad right there.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

"play 30k Space Wolves they're not the weird wolf your wolf stereotype they are in 40k!"

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Ultras do kinda have that thing where the Genesis Chapter is basically a defacto reserve formation.

But I'm not sure they have the secret "call all of the successors to operate at legion strength" protocol like the Dark Angels, Blood Angels, and Imperial Fists.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I don't think its a trait you will ever take but I kinda love that you can get a tiny points discount to go "GET IN THE ROBOT, SHINJI"

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Lucinice posted:

I really need to invest in a 3D printer

its pretty great, self-inflicted scale creep issues aside.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 2, 2023

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

there was a weird order of operations between consul construction, rites of war and equipment purchasing in the older HH rules that I'm glad is just gone now.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Oh clever. I was just thinking of that exact issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

weird weapon swapping shenanigans to get a loadout that should be one of the defaults in the first place is a warhammer tradition.