Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Militia still the best army and faction

Enjoy no rules at release :agesilaus:

Seriously though, seeing the Imperial Fist rules kinda make me want to stop them from being my loyalist faction. The +1 BS is too drat good, it's going to be nerfed. It has to be.
The new 30k is gonna get the same treatment as the 40k stuff isn't it? Constant updates and FAQ's we have to stay up with due to GW loving up stats and combos.....

Sigh. Oh! Found some STL's to try with my new printer so I at least get to start trying my paint schemes on the correct size models

Edit:Bulbasaur....those seekers looking amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Lucinice posted:

Hey just to point out, the OP has the core rules links the heretic rules pdf while the loyalist rules link to the core rules pdf.

Yeah if someone could point us to the Loyalist rules it would be greatly appreciated :)

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

This is really useful information, I was personally looking for the Loyalist info as it gives more then the pieces it does here. Helps you confirm paint schemes and all that so you can get a jump on things

Also....I hate to say this again. But I loving hate the way they wrote these articles
We get it.....
You're trying to be hippish and use slang from memes and poo poo while talking about the upcoming game
Stop it

Horus Heresy has an amazing setting and doesn't need that sort of bullshit intro. Drives me crazy

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

As much as I just adore the idea of unleashing plague flamers everywhere I possibly can, I don't care for the colour scheme they have
Guess I'll keep debating between Word Bearers, Night Lord's, Alpha Legion or Sons of Horus for my Traitor legion :shepicide:
World Eaters have a great colour scheme but don't want all melee legion

Somebody posted a link earlier to an Alpha Legion painting tutorial on YouTube and that was loving impressive but I don't have a airbrush

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 25, 2022

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Ghazk posted:

A destroyer squad and another dreadclaw will put this at 2500!

That's a sexy looking army right there. Well done

Loyalist Lunar Wolves are REALLY enticing to me. What little I've read of the Horus Heresy Novels(I have a few audio books) and really liked Loken.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Wow, I'm impressed with just HOW many things will be up for pre-order. Glad to see the Mk III come in 20 man boxes + dice? Shiiiiit. That's gonna be an expensive weekend FML

Has anyone been able to confirm the price of the main box?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Putting this near the top of the page. Looks like 3 weeks and it all drops. Pre-Orders start Soon

BULBASAUR posted:

If you're too lazy to filter through that mega imgur album:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer3...tm_source=share

Also, this rocks thank you! Looks like everything is the same as what was leaked?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Alpha Legion's different from the leak earlier in the thread

"First Move/Shoot/Charge in a phase can't be reacted to" is replaced with "enemies treat you as 2 inches further away than you really are" which is... something?

Yeah the changes to Alpha Legion I'm not tickled about. That change you got there makes me very sad. Basically knocked the off of my list as potentional legion :(

Saw a paint guide with a nasty white armour scheme that I think would look killer on a DG list

Edit:
Night Lord's, Deathguard or Sons of Horus.
Down to those 3.....

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 30, 2022

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Who the gently caress did that? I love that. That looks like some clever contrast stuff

I'd be all over that

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

I'm interested to see what the ameribucks price is because I thought they said "under $300" and Ash Wastes was $300

My thoughts are maybe they know that Ash Waste is largely at existing gamers so the price tag won't be such a big deal.
But they want to be able to push to Horus Heresy Starter to new players in stores and if they can keep it in the low to mid 200's that's an easier pill to swallow then 300?

I don't know the cost of current Starter sets to get people into the various games, and refuse to open a new tab and look, so maybe i'm completely off.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

there are plenty of discount sellers here in the bad old US of A

I loving wish. I can't find any near me in Utah and the best online poo poo i see is 15% off

I have the 3d printer and some STL's I need to get around to printing but i'd at least like to get the starter box + the books

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Sons of Horus or Death Guard and WHY???

Someone answer that question and that's who I'll do as my Traitors. I'll even TOXX myself in the painting thread or something if I don't follow up

Sons of Horus special ability seems nifty but Death Guard have weapons of mass destruction and templates galore

Edit: OH GOD NEW PAGE!!!

Warhammer community is about Salamanders today

https://www.warhammer-community.com...-all-warhammer/

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

JcDent posted:

I'd rather not play than play 40k.

Tangentially related, what are the best/most widely used Epic rules for HH? We tried Imperium Dominatus recently and it's a bit wild.

Epic Horus Heresy used the epicAU rules and some custom list that were incredibly balanced and very well done IMHO
I believe you can find them.....here
http://web.archive.org/web/20201112013556/http://epicau.com/mw/index.php/Legion_Astartes

Epic Armageddon with the Horus Heresy. Seriously good stuff

And also....Death Guard it is for me! Yay. Now to look up some more painting videos and get more ideas on my overall list.
Just. All the drat templates. All of em. Flame throwers with fleshbane to the face bitches

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Honest question here, as I've been debating on the colour scheme for my upcoming Death Guard army, did they ctually perform any action beyond the attack on Terra once they gave themselves to Nurgle?

I've been going through as much lore as I can find. I understand that pre-heresy those with Terra ancestory wore the armour with pride and seemed to keep it well kept. The future recruits from Mortarion home world were more ruthless and were used in the later Crusade as being able to go without refulling and rearming for longer periods of time and wore more of the battle damage as a point of pride.
So....clean is more pre-heresy and/or the Terra born recruits while later generations more battle damage. So depending on how I want to go, a clean look is viable

But....when they got trapped in the Warp and gave themselves to Nurgle and became the "Death Guard" of Nurgle, did they do any battles beyond rushing to the siege?
Is it viable to have some Nurgle infested marines or were they strictly at the siege as infected monstrosities?
Want to know for potentional conversions and what not

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Pinwiz11 posted:

Today was an expensive day, but at least my potential starting Legion is down to two: Iron Hands or Alpha Legion.

Alpha Legion with the special Iron Hands Terminators inducted in to the list?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Also the Salamanders have stronger Flamethrowers which, at least for me, is the reason to do them as my loyalist :dukedog:

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So still spots are open for the Las Vegas Open. Do most people do the 3 day narrative or largely the Zone Mortalis stuff? I'd like to lock down what the hell I'll be doing and it will be my first time going

So tips from people who have gone would be greatly appreciated

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Bored Online posted:

Legion decision status: picking a new one every day still

Same with the starer box marines. I can't do beaky Death Guard. That just looks and sounds dumb to me.

I'm looking to print up suitable heads and shoulder pads for Death Guard in Zone Mortalis though

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Mercurius posted:

In addition to what Salynne posted, Beerdeer found this intensely sick nasty boi earlier which is a new plastic MK VI with a resin DG head from FW:

I think the MK VIs in general look excellent with a head swap/custom bits in general. I personally feel the beakies only work really well for a few chapters but I'm planning on stealing them and shoving them onto some Crimson Fists for nostalgia's sake.

Okay that's a drat sexy beaky body with the upgrade bits. Gotta find some find files to print, I'm not paying 24 bucks just for 10 shoulder pads or 10 heads when i I need a lot of each.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Snacks and Violence posted:

My test World Eater. I am pretty happy with how he turned out, even if I forgot to put the "under" shoulder pads on.

https://imgur.com/a/LSkZpxz

edit- Apparently I have no idea on how to actually imbed the image.

I think thats a drat solid World Eater scheme there

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I don't have my copies of the rules yet....can someone confirm if anyone can take flamer squads, like in a Rhino or whatever, to hop out and spray sexy flames all over people?

I'm debating heavily between Salamanders and Death Guard. Both have amazing flamer rules and i just want to burn everything

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Double post

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Remind me never to post pics of what I paint or model in this thread......a lot of amazing things showed here recently

I did pre-order some of the heavy weapons because i NEED a 10 man heavy flamer Death Guard squad hopping out of a Rhino and burning people to feel joy in my life

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
There any other good sites, besides Goonhammer, with Horus Heresy content to read over?
I'd love to see list that people are using and just more content on 30k

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I still can't freaking decide which Legion to play as so I have actually held off on buying anything so I didn't mess up.......still can't decide but at least ordered the freaking Main box so I can start assembling my marines. I serioulsy do not know which legion to pick.
Imperial Fist with a reverse colour scheme just screams will look amazing on the table and Bolters + Dreads for life
Iron Hands will just grind you down. Not fancy but just grind you down with big blobs and Dreads
Death Guard toxic flamers?? I can toss a heavy flamer squad in a Rhino and just drop templates for days after jumping out? More templates because of some Termies? Yes!!

All 3 of those sound just delightful to me but I cannot pick that I will just do X over anyone else

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

JcDent posted:

It's so easy to paint DG, it's the reason why I'm playing them and FORGING MY OWN NARRATIVE of Loyalist reserve detachment that was left in some mildly poisonous hole to fight an insurgency and train up replacements for a war they'd never rejoin.

BULBASAUR posted:

Nice work moths and my man Kharnifex!

Sounds like you like attrition armies! Well there are four, the other one you haven't listed are the Iron Warriors.

Iron Hands- these guys are the most defensive army from this list. All their units can take a beating, but besides some anti armour trickery, they don't get any offensive perks. You need to maintain a strong offensive footprint to capitalize on their defensive strengths.
Iron Warriors- they are the most offensive army from this list. They have strong ranged shooting that favors dreadnought/armor hunting and a quantity over quality approach. They don't really get any offensive perks in melee. Kill things from a distance while using a few choice beatstick units to take charges or charge the other guy.
Imperial Fists- they are the best rounded, offering you offensive perks to shooting and defensive perks to combat, backed by tough or choppy unique units. However their shooting favors weaker weaponry and their unique units are more defensive in nature, so you'll need to play smart to take advantage of how their benefits are split.
Death Guard- are also better rounded, offering both offensive and defensive benefits, but doing so in different ways than the others. They can move and fire big weapons, ignore pinning effects, and de-buffing enemies in combat with unique units and wargear that are geared to making them more offensive in melee.

If picking a side matters, you have two more defensively geared loyalist legions and two more offensively geared traitor legions. If that doesn't help, then consider which army background and color you like enough to paint 100+ times.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Welcome to the Death Guard. All three options are cool, but this is your new assignment.

Thank you everyone. Rolled the dice, not literally, and ordered the Liber Hereticus for some hot Death Guard action. Blobs of troops, dreads and templates for life! Thank you everyone

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Gotta be honest what I've read of "The Burried Dagger" makes me care more about the Death Guard. Gotta find proper bits to Death Guard up the beakies. Gotta either find some good :files: for heads or bite the bullet on paying lovely GW prices. I'd love to get my hands on some MK III armour to mix in and out with the Beakies but cant' seem to find any on sale.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Looking for some ideas on what to do with the Cataphracti terminators in the starter box as I'm going Deathguard. I haven't made any list that take them over the Gravewardens.

Can I convert them into Gravewardens or what's my best use of them I guess is what I'm asking

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Whelp maybe I won't try to track down :filez: to Deathguard up my guys. Maybe....these do look pretty drat good. Guess it depends on order time vs actually receiving them time frame

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Has anyone put out an army builder yet? Outside of just paper and pen

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

TammyHEH posted:

that's not contemptors !

the_seventh_cohort posted:

I can read very well whoops.

I was gonna say the same thing, whoops!

Looks like a nasty 1k starting list that some will struggle with. Here was my take on a 1k Dark Angels list and I have a grand total on 0 idea on how it will work. Ignore what Hex everyone has as I'm still playing with that stuff. I'm definitely light on staying power for my scoring units but it's also 1k points

++ Crusade Force Organisation Chart (LA - I: Dark Angels) [1,000Pts] ++

+ Expanded Army Lists +

Expanded Army List Profiles:: Exemplary Units On, Legacy Units On

+ Allegiance: +

I: Dark Angels

Allegiance: Loyalist

+ Rite of War: +

Rite of War

+ HQ: +

Centurion, Cataphractii [115Pts]: Marshal of the Crown, Warlord
. Legion Cataphractii Centurion: Combi-Bolter
. . Power Weapon: Power Sword
. Paladin of Hekatonystika: Augurs of Weakness

+ Elites: +

Dreadwing Interemptor Squad [210Pts]: Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Interemptor Praefectus, 6x Interemptors, Phosphex Bomb, Plasma Incinerator

Terminator Cataphractii Squad [280Pts]: Augury Scanner, Dreadwing
. Cataphractii Sergeant w/TLC: Pair of Lightning Claws
. Cataphractii: Combi-Bolter, Thunder Hammer
. Cataphractii: Combi-Bolter, Thunder Hammer
. Cataphractii: Combi-Bolter, Lightning Claw
. Cataphractii w/Heavy Weapon (1 in 5): Plasma Blaster
. . Power Weapon: Power Sword
. Cataphractii w/Lightning Claws

+ Troops: +

Reconnaissance Squad [135Pts]: Firewing
. 0) Legion Recon Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Nemesis Bolter
. 1) Recon Legionary: Bolt Pistol, Nemesis Bolter

Tactical Squad [130Pts]: Firewing
. 0) Legion Tactical Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter
. 9x 1) Legionaries w/ Bolter, Bolt Pistol: 9x Bolt Pistol, 9x Bolter
. 2) Legionaries w/ Options: Augury Scanner, Bolt Pistol, Bolter

Tactical Squad [130Pts]: Firewing
. 0) Legion Tactical Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter
. 9x 1) Legionaries w/ Bolter, Bolt Pistol: 9x Bolt Pistol, 9x Bolter
. 2) Legionaries w/ Options: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Legion Vexilla

++ Total: [1,000Pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Outside of Goonhammer, are there any other good websites, blogs, podcasts or youtubers for 30k content?
Would love to see more conversions, army list, battle reports etc etc

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Okay.... serious question. How do you, or did you, pick which legion or army to play?

I cannot decide for the life of me. I honestly can't. I have the starter and I specifically bought a nice 3d printer for this game. I adore the setting, love the game and was a rabid 40k player for years.
I can't pick and it's driving me insane. I have tickets for the LVO 30k event and need to get my rear end in gear painting and all that.

I always loved Imperial Fist and want to do the reverse colour scheme. The new paints available now vs last time I did a yellow army would make it so much easier!! Yellow shoulder pads and heads with black armor?
That's hot!!
Then I see the rules. Wtf..... how did that legion rule get through??
I don't want to be "that guy" playing them but I've always loved them as well

Okay, Iron Warriors have my favorite black library novel so I'd be good with them. They look, potentially, strong. Evil with lots of shooting

Deathguard have a cool paint scheme. Line em up, march up the field playstyle

Word Bearers?? The true villains of the whole horus heresy and I get to do script and poo poo all over the models??? That's bad rear end sounding!!

But am I playing for fun/ theme or moreso trying to win more matches then I potentionaly lose if all things otherwise are equal? And if so, am I better off taking a specific legion?
I don't want to be that douche bag player but i also don't want to handicap myself either too much if I can avoid it

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
First off I'm not quoting nearly enough people here. So many people gave great advice and I really enjoyed learning from others how they picked. Thank you everyone

parabolic posted:

I picked Word Bearers because I liked The First Heretic and gal vorbak rule.

So I haven't read First Heretic but I've heard nothing but great things about them. It's really between this and Imperial Fist. I think that's the 2 I am firmly down to. Love the lore, the models and rules look good

Mr Teatime posted:

New night lords upgrades finally shown. I think these ones look pretty good actually. 🤔

These do look pretty good. I l like em and I would use them honestly. not enough to sway me to them, I couldn't do the Nightlords justice.....I would want flayed skin and lightning everywhere

Sulecrist posted:

This is a long-winded way of saying:
-Almost every Legion can support almost every model, so don’t worry about playstyle, except with regard to the unique units
-Think about whether you actually want to own Legion X: have models standing around cupboards and shelves, piles of bits on your desk, and the army itself.
-Think about what you enjoy painting and modeling, and what you don’t.
-Think about whether you actually think the guys are cooler than most of their peers.
-Probably play Imperial Fists, because it seems like you already know you want to play Imperial Fists.

I can't lie, I am absolutely leaning on Imperial Fist. I am going to do a test model of how I want to do Word Bearers and a Imperial Fist beaky. See if I hate myself after painting either one or if one just clicks with me more. I feel that I would be happy with either one of these Legions

Biggest reason I lean so heavily on IF? My first ever army was a Epic 40k(I believe 3rd edition, it was before Armageddon) and it was Imperial Fist
It was such a poo poo paintjob + trying to learn to paint on 6mm mini's and all that.......I still loved them. I still think fondly of them and love brighter colour armies at time.
No matter what game system I'm in....I love me some yellow armour because of that. gently caress yo stealth. I'm right here!!! Dakka Dakka

Edit: Oh I should look up the alt stuff for the Imperial Fist and Word bearers in terms of shoudlers and heads. What I can buy or print. That is a big deal....I want to kitbash some stuff

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Okay, I started listening to "The First Heretic" and holy gently caress......I'm sold on the World Bearers now. Full stop, good to roll with them.
gently caress the Emperor and Gulliman is a douchewaffle. I knew I always hated Ultramarines for a good reason w/ out knowing why

Thank you for the earlier suggestion of grabbing the new Possessed models and a box of Chaos Space Marines for lots of kitbashing off the jump. I'm stoked to get this going. Gotta specifically make sure I get some robed like bits. Need robes!!!

edit: Holy poo poo this book is amazing......if you haven't listened to it or read it. Do yourself a favour......and get it. Read it. It's really well done so far and gives such great backstory.

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 29, 2022

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Mr Teatime posted:

There isn’t a melee upgrade set for the new Mkvi marines yet so if you want mass despoilers it’s a lot of expensive forgeworld resin despoilers and chain axe kits.

Or :filez:

Speaking of which.....

I have a box Chaos Space Marines coming in tomorrow so I can, finally, start assembling my army. I'll use all the bits to Chaos up different people here and there and just add some "flair" to the army.

I would really like to try to find some good STL's of some Chaos'y or Rune inscripted shoulder pads. Does anyone have any suggestions or seen anything good floating around on Patreon or Cults3d? Thanks

On the army building side, I'm still going back and forth on which Special Character to include besides a Herald w/ the Unswerving Devotion trait
I'm going back and forth....am I better off w/ 2 20 Man Squads (1 Tactical + 1 Despoiler) or say.....3 10 man squads in Rhino's?
The other "core" of the army, in my head at least, is a 5 man Recon Squad w/ Nemesis Bolter & a 10 man support squad w/ Warpfire Blasters w/ Augury scanner

That "core" of 2 20 man blobs, Sergants w/ PF + Artificer armour, the recon + support squad is 956points
Toss in the HQ's, a heavy support squad for my anti tank,decide if I want Ashen Circle + Gal Vorbak(or just one or the other) and yeah.

Bam that's 2k easy. No idea if it's "good" but that fills up quick. Not sure if I want a more "mobile" Rhino based force or not

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

BirdieBedtime posted:

In my experience, those formations are two very different playstyles. I tend to see mounted squads as a reactive force, since ten models is fine but might not be enough to be on the front line, while the Big Beautiful Blobs are more of a 'gently caress you, I'm doing this thing' kind of force. Both are psychologically distracting in different ways - the Rhinos keep their riders out of sight and out of mind at the cost of turning focus to your really expensive poo poo, while the Blobs are visually arresting and can start to short-circuit the enemy's target priority (especially if you're running Dark Brethren and there's a point of Favor or two coming down the pike).

For what it's worth, the XVIIth is excellent at the Big Beautiful Blobs strategy. Dark Channeling keeps them from breaking, and a single point of Favor or boost from Eater of Wisdom turns those Despoilers or Assaults into some absolute murderers.

And you mentioned special characters - he's expensive as gently caress, but Zardu Layak is excellent at buffing BBBs and can still take a Command Squad due to some rules chicanery.

Thank you kindly for the response. I think i'm going to go the blob route for sure.

I am, for the first time in what feels like a very long time, so pumped to start getting this army put together. I have the Chaos marine box coming tonight and my 3d printer will be setup tomorrow. I found a Patreon who had EXACTLY what I wanted, Rune etched Chaos armour stuff, to really make this army my own.

And yeah. I can't recall the last time I felt just gently caress YEAH!!! To painting and modding models. I've always loved playing the games but after working for GW for a number of years I kinda hated painting after that so I only wanted small specialist games. But now?
Between the models, the new paints that have come out, a great new rule set.....Yeah. I am stoked. I'll post pics in the next couple days as I get models assembled and what not.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

Trying to go through and update older models for 2.0.

Old and busted:

New hotness:

Looking good and drat scary too!!

Quick question about the LVO. Do I need to avoid tossing too many 3rd party shouldler pads on my Word Bearers or anything like that? I am printing up some signficantlly better looking rune etched chaos shoulder pads I was going to mix through the army on top of Chaos Space Marine box or 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Anyone got an idea for Rotor cannons for Solar Auxilia models? I'm :filez: the Valour Korps and the idea of a full size squad with those cannons just sounds like stupid fun(in terms of chucking dice at least)
I've checked the GW and Forgeworld sites and can't find a good source of rotor cannons