Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
How beginner friendly would you say Horus Heresy is? I originally wanted to play 40k but you know it's a mess right now so that'll go on the backburner for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

panascope posted:

I’ve never had any problem explaining the 1.0 version of this game to people, even ones who have never done any sort of wargaming in the first place.
Aside from that, one of the nice things in the new edition is that, aside from the core rulebook, you really only need one book to write your army. Obviously this will get more layered as they re-introduce armies like Mechanicum, Solar Auxilia, and Militia, but if you’re looking to play Legions it’s basically as easy as it gets.

Are 40k mechanicum units playable in HH or is it the forge world ones only? They've been one of my choices for a 40k army.

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 18, 2022

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Hey just to point out, the OP has the core rules links the heretic rules pdf while the loyalist rules link to the core rules pdf.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

So with the big starter box they're releasing what else does someone need to run a decent HH army?

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

In terms of playstyle how do Iron Hands differ from Iron Warriors?

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Count Thrashula posted:

Iirc, Hands are more into vehicles and machines while Warriors are more into artillery and big booms.

But in practice I think they play pretty similarly

I was looking into playing a vehicle focused faction but artillery also sounds fun.

I might go for the Iron Hands since I could also run them in 40k but man everything I read about their primarch makes me hate him.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Probably gonna run Ultramarines since I want a shooting army and I like blue.

I know riveting.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

In Canada the box + a single legion book is going to cost like 500 bucks because of the exchange rate and tax. I could buy an xbox with that money.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Which legions are you new folks thinking of starting?

There's too many I'm interested in, but here they are.

Loyalists:
Ultramarines: I like the colour scheme and the rules for them seem general enough to not shoehorn me into a specific play style
Slamanders: Fire weapons are cool and I like that they seem like the closest thing to a good guy a space marine can be
Iron Hands: Cyborgs are neat

Traitors:
Thousand Sons: I'm more interested in the 40k counterpart but the look of their units are still cool and the have rad robots
Alpha Legion: that rule where you can take a unit from another faction seems like it could add a lot of variety
Iron Warriors: Cyborgs are neat

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 2, 2022

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

I think I'm going to hold off on buying into HH until I see if a scene forms in my city. I was going to play with a friend but he changed his mind :(

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Lucinice posted:

I think I'm going to hold off on buying into HH until I see if a scene forms in my city. I was going to play with a friend but he changed his mind :(

Hey never mind the situation changed so I'll definitely be buying into HH. Probably can't buy the box right now due to costs but I'm thinking of getting one of the legion books so I can start planning my army.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

I want to try and make my own ZM walls using leftover sprue and cardboard.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Is the special weapons upgrades set usable with the MK3 and MK4 and if not does it at least seem like they can be modified to work?

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

ijyt posted:

It's incredibly stupid. It also doubles the amount of magnets I need to magnetise all my tacticals :lol:

What size magnets do you use for them? I've never magnetized before but I'm looking into it now.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

So how are things for Ultramarines looking in terms of rules and being able to use the box set?

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

I got my box the other day and I am having a super hard time picking which legion I want to play. I asked on the other page about the Ultramarines but right now it's a three way tie between them, Salamander, and Iron Warriors.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Broken Record Talk posted:

In your head, what would you like your army to focus on, or be better at?

The box set pretty much provides the kind of army I'm looking for. Ranged infantry with dreadnought and/or tank support.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Broken Record Talk posted:

Really though, this is the correct answer. Pick a legion that you think looks/sounds cool, that you think you will enjoy modeling and painting, and go with that.

See that's the problem because those are the factions I think are cool. I'd say with Ultramarines I'm not as much into them as the other two but they have the advantage of the box preators matching their aesthetic.

So tell me how do the Salamanders play? I know flame weapons are their thing but what else do they have?

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

So today's Heresy Thursday is Iron Warriors MK6 head upgrades

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/06/30/heresy-thursday-iron-warriors-upgrades-showcase-the-future-of-warhammer-fashion/

This might be a sign from GW itself that I should pick them

Also on the topic of Iron Warriors, how are the heavy bolters and missile launchers for them?

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 30, 2022

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

A lot of my decision on legion is going to come down to what a friend of mine is picking. I wanted to pick UM but my friend is also considering picking them and I get the feeling UM mirror matches would be really boring.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Alright so I think I've settled on making an Iron Warriors army.

So with the 40 marines from the box I'm thinking 20 should be tactical squads with bolters and a support squad of rocket launchers but after that I'm unsure. I read a suggestion for auto cannon which could lead those units being iron havocs if those are any good.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Mercurius posted:

-Iron Warriors Advice-

Thanks for that. I hope the heavy weapons kit comes out soon. Also it's a bit early to consider this but I'm hoping to make a Salamanders army as well some day. For that I'm thinking of close range tanky infantry and dreadnoughts. Anything else I should consider for it?

SkyeAuroline posted:

Plentiful, but stupidly expensive. I've just about given up on making a full 10 Tyrants at this point - every eBay seller wants ten to fifteen loving dollars a launcher as of the last few times I've checked. Nobody even uses havoc launchers to justify it!

It's crazy, shipping for havoc launchers on ebay is like 30 dollars.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Are any events going to get anal if I bring a praetor who's model doesn't have the specific weapons I give him? This is my first time kitbashing and I'm currently trying to modify the praetor with sword and volkite and I don't have the bits/ideas to replace the Volkite arm, but I might not run him with that specific weapon when I make my list.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

I've noticed ever since getting into Warhammer that GW announces things and then doesn't launch them for months. Like what's even the point? I just want to finish kitting out my Iron Warriors.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

moths posted:

I can't even imagine this game without a printer. Just the shoulderpads would cost about a car payment.

I need to either get two printers for bits and scenery or one really good one, but wither way it's more money than I can spare right now vs buying like one or two things from FW to finish my box.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

So I want some feedback on my plan for the marines and terminators from the box for my iron warriors army.

-two legion tactical squads with shrapnel bolters
-two sets of 10 man iron havocs, 10 with lascannons and 10 with autocannons
-two sets of iron dominator cohorts, 5 with graviton crushers,5 with chain fists, and 2 armed with reaper autocannons

Any big mistakes I'm making here? Any tactical holes need filling?

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

Well, a couple things on the Dominators:
  • They're (0-1), so you can only take one unit. Can still model both but you'd only be able to field one at a time, or a mixed unit.
  • Graviton crushers are Character only, and Dominators don't have any characters in the unit. (Regular hammers are better anyway. Better than chainfists for the unit's normal usage, too, imo.)
  • No opinion on reapers personally, though I see other IW tending towards the multimelta for IDing other Terminators.

Ah okay I wasn't sure what the (0-1) meant exactly and I forgot about the crushers restriction. I'll probably run the second terminators as normal ones.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Otherwise you're probably in good shape. I'd go for a volkite HSS before autocannons (better anti infantry while still handling light vehicles with ease), but you can run autocannons as Havocs for +1BS and Precision Shots at the same points cost, so you're not going wrong building them. They're also more iconic. Are you planning on running a specific rite? Without Hammer of Olympia, shrapnel bolters are a lot less appealing as a weapon swap, but they're very good with it - just will constrain you on deployment.

One thing worth noting: hammers for Dominators, as well as the MkVI autocannons and lascannons (and volkite culverins) are currently very difficult to impossible to get first-party, since the former are sold in very small volumes through FW upgrade kits and the latter aren't released yet with no projected date. If you're in a hurry to get playing I'd reach out to someone with a 3D printer, or find a bits site with suitable imitations of what you're after.

Yeah I'm running hammer of olympia. I can't run the second ROW because I don't own anything that can take advantage of it.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

Sounds good. I'd mix one or two chainfists in with regular power fists to save points, 5 chainfists is probably overkill against everything, but that's your call and it'll make absolutely sure whatever vehicle you're hammering on is dead. The crusher restriction is a little unfortunate, even though they're a downgrade I'd probably run them on Dominators for fun anyway (and I'd definitely run the maces on vets for laughs). You have a pretty good basis going to expand from; I'd probably try and get a third scoring squad in there one way or another, and you'll want to think about either getting transports or expanding the existing squads, but overall good approach.

What HQ(s) are you looking at? Warsmith for the rite requirement, of course.

I'm hoping to eventually get a breacher squad up and some rhinos. For HQ I'm thinking of a siege breaker.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

The remaining heavy weapon upgrades will be available for pre order next week. There's also the deimos predator and some emperor's children stuff.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/09/04/sunday-preview-join-the-battle-for-middle-earth-with-next-weeks-pre-orders/

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 4, 2022

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Would it be worth it to pick up one or two Rhinos for an army? I know they apparently aren't super durable this edition but all I have for transport for my iron warriors is the spartan from the set and I'd rather use those points for something else currently.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Got myself two Rhinos, what are the upgrades I'm going to want to put on them?

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

The legacy units PDF for the mechanicum is out.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/09/21/warhammer-the-horus-heresy-free-rules-for-classic-mechanicum-units/

The blog post says some pretty promising things about legacy units though.

quote:

The intent with the Expanded Units entries is that they remain a work in progress until such time as we produce new miniatures, or re-release old ones, at which point they will be published in their final “core” form in a book.
And speaking of the Legiones Astartes document, we’ve taken the opportunity to update this based on feedback from Warhammer: The Horus Heresy players, which we’re always happy to receive. If you have any such feedback on the rules or miniatures, especially when informed by games you’ve played, we’d love to hear it via heresyfaq@gwplc.com.

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 21, 2022

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Blood Angel upgrades revealed today

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/10/13/heresy-thursday-sate-your-red-thirst-with-blood-angels-upgrade-kits/

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Crossposting from the painting thread

Lucinice posted:

Finished up the body of this contemptor dread for my HH Iron Warriors army.

Since it was so big I tried to do edge highlighting for the first time. It didn't go so great but it was fun to practice.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Today's heresy Thursday is some really nice looking Iron Hands upgrades that I will definitely steal for my Iron Warriors and no one can stop me

https://www.warhammer-community.com...i-upgrade-kits/

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 10, 2022

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

New exemplary battles. They're going to be doing more even after all the legions are done

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/11/22/horus-heresy-exemplary-battles-scorch-the-heads-of-the-hydra-with-faith-and-flame/

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Upgrades for Thousand Sons revealed today

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/11/24/heresy-thursday-focus-your-mind-bullets-with-these-thousand-sons-upgrade-kits/

Also if anyone was waiting for MK3 and MK4 tactical squads, they're back in stock on the website.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Salamander upgrades announced today.

They're looking HOT

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/12/08/heresy-thursday-smoking-hot-upgrades-for-the-salamanders/

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

I'm finally getting off my butt and building my troops and I would like some advice.

I'm not sure what upgrades I should be putting on my bolter troops with the bayonets being the biggest question.

I'm playing Iron Warriors so I'm giving them all shrapnel bolters which does have reduced range. So I'm thinking maybe bayonets might be good in case any units manage to survive and make it to close, but I have no idea if that will be worth the points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

Strict RAW, "shrapnel bolters" are not "bolters" and so aren't eligible for either bayonet. Considering this is stupid as hell, your local community may be more permissive, though.

That sounds like it should get changed in an FAQ.

I actually have a second question. I plan to kitbash some breachers, so what's good on them?