Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
This is going to tempt me away from grinding Destiny 2 guns and back into actually painting minis with my giant dedicated painting station I set up and then never used.

Gimme the BOX, Games Workshop. I have plastic beakie Raven Guard to paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Can you have field trials Primaris as like, an allied detachment? I love the era and limited scope of the Heresy, but want some of the aesthetic of Primaris.

Isn't that kinda just Mark IV?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

2 part shoulder pads? Seriously?

Mr Teatime posted:

I believe it has something to do with casting the shoulder studs correctly and not having them be weird shapes. It’s a plastic thing.

Yeah. Resin moulds are made of rubber, and can flex, so resin studded pauldrons can have perfectly hemispherical studs even if the pauldron is cast in one piece. But the stainless steel they use to cast styrene plastic for the plastic kits is rigid, and so’s the plastic, so both side of the clamshell mould have to separate cleanly with no undercutting.

If you look at studded plastic pauldrons on the current tactical 40K kits or the old plastic mark IVs, you’ll see that the studs in the center of the pads are hemispherical, but as you get closer to the edge, they become pill-shaped, because the casting process can’t create a space between where the underside of the hemisphere would be and the outer curve of the pauldron. These studded pauldron are cast in two pieces so the studs can be hemispheres.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Okay I get it now, thank you for explaining! So this is the reason we have these elongated weird skulls on a few kits, like the Garden of Morr statue, or on one of the Empire greatsword legs I've just painted recently.

Yup! Once you know where to look, you can see all sorts of places on plastic kits where the need to avoid undercutting creates distortion in the sculpt. But GW is getting a lot more innovative with the way they sculpt and cast things to let them break complex shapes up into multiple parts to avoid the problem. Which is why old sprues look sensibly organized and new sprues look like chaos—designing an efficiently laid out sprue via CAD to enable maximum density of complex shapes broken up to avoid undercutting doesn’t let you put all the torsos next to each other in a line.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
During the Warhammerfest stream the presenters said it wasn’t going to be limited, and the intent seems to be to keep it as the default starter kit for the heresy for a long time.

I don’t know if I buy it. Seems like an awful tragic thing for them to get wrong, if they got that wrong.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

I'm betting, they will announce tomorrow that the box will be up for pre-order on the 4th.

Yup. Up for preorder on the 4th; two-week preorder period, launch on the 18th.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Wow, I'm impressed with just HOW many things will be up for pre-order. Glad to see the Mk III come in 20 man boxes + dice? Shiiiiit. That's gonna be an expensive weekend FML

Has anyone been able to confirm the price of the main box?

Nothing I've heard.

I still think it'll be at the same price point as Ash Wastes. It's a huge box and they said "Under $300 USD" an Ash Wastes is $299.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Lucinice posted:

In Canada the box + a single legion book is going to cost like 500 bucks because of the exchange rate and tax. I could buy an xbox with that money.

Ash Wastes MSRP in CAD is $360. So, about, what, $414 with tax?

So, yeah, about $500.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Jack B Nimble posted:

So, if I'm reading that Games Workship article correctly, the Horus Heresy Big Box is available for pre order this weekend?

I love that old Rhino with the independently mounted bolters; 30k effectively leverages it pseudo historical setting as nostalgia.

I'm thinking of relativity inexpensive ways to build out the box just a bit: maybe Rhino, heavy weapon sprue, and possibly one more marine squad?

I will be very surprised if we don't get a plastic Heresy-era assault marine kit relatively soon; in anticipation of that, I'm not buying much more than the big box for now, given how long it'll take to paint.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Is that new Corax art? I feel like that's new Corax art.

God, I wish any of the Raven Guard books were good.

In other news, my FLGS just doesn't do preorders; they get the boxes in and it's first come first serve. So I guess I'm ordering from GW.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Deofuta posted:

The plastic Leviathan kit is confirmed, with a fancy trailer! The amount of 30k support being pushed is impressive.

Hmm.

When Guerilla Miniatures Games boxed set review (I think) mentioned that the Contemptor Dreadnought can be outfitted in the new edition of Heresy with a bunch of weapon options not included in the box, together with GW removing the resin Contemptor weapons from the FW store, I had assumed this meant the stand-alone Contemptor kit would come with an extra weapon sprue not included in the boxed set, to motivate folks to pick up its stand-alone option. But here we have a Leviathan that seems to come with only three weapons in the box, all of which are guns -- no siege claw.

We're getting stand-alone dreadnought weapon upgrade boxes, aren't we?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

AnEdgelord posted:

I suspected as much when the plastic contemptor was revealed without a volkite option and volkite contemptors were still legal in 40k.

Actually, I'm re-thinking this.

I think there's a chance the siege claw and siege drill will remain in resin because they're designed to be done with a resin cable running from the gauntlet to the dreadnought's back that you re-shape in hot water to fit your pose, you know, can't do that in plastic. And I think we're definitely getting an extra weapon sprue for the contemptor but I don't know if GW will sell it separately or bundle it exclusively with the stand-alone plastic contemptor kit, to reduce SKUs and ensure that even people who got a contemptor through the Age of Darkness box have a reason to buy the full stand-alone kit later.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

BULBASAUR posted:

Which legions are you new folks thinking of starting?

I remain devoted to the Raven Guard, despite their complete lack of interesting novel content (except for that one bit where a traitor points out to Corax that the Primarchs are clearly warp-spawn, and Corax, who's possessed the ability to force people to ignore his presence his whole life with no obvious material mechanism, basically goes "poo poo, he's right"), so plastic beakies make me happy.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 2, 2022

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Preordered. Big box, Liber Astartes, a deimos rhino (always wanted one of those) and the special weapon pack.

Watch the FLGS that's opening in the mall across the street from my apartment building sometime in June get all these things at a discount on launch day while I'm waiting a week for everything to arrive via shipping.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I'm honestly kind of surprised they didn't find room for the new Zone Mortalis rules in the big Heresy corebook, given how popular those seem.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Nancy posted:

I was more looking for those alternate schemes. I know DA are "black, red, white" but I saw a couple images on google of specific alternates for some legions and wondering if DA had that.

Arbiter Ian did a video about that.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
If I recall correctly, when GW first announced that 8th edition would do away with USRs and put all the relevant info on the datasheets, nobody foresaw all those units getting identical rules with different names. I mean, why would they? That’d be ridiculous. Likewise, it wasn’t apparent just how many rules would be offloaded from the datasheets that were gonna have “all” the rules in favor of putting them in the army rules overviews, because why would folks assume GW would eliminate USRs only to immediately reinvent them in all but name?

And then that enthusiasm for the version GW talked about before revealing all the details of its implementation just kinda carried forward.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Yeah, the full Dark Angels book is 9. 6 just barely touches on them.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Anything interesting here for its presence or absence?

Missing a bunch of Knights. Does it look to anyone else like they're planning on splitting the Questoris households off into their own army list where they can have Secutarii Hoplites/Peltasts as scoring troops?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Mango Polo posted:

I’m surprised that the regular baby knights didn’t make the cut, since we got rules for them ages ago. Probably another PDF thing.

Alternately, maybe the Moirax will be able to take the Armiger weapon options now. Bunch of Astartes tanks got new gun choices. Likewise, the Styrix and Magaera might gain options for the standard 40k Imperial Knight guns.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

BULBASAUR posted:

My reasoning on Calleb is that there are no named characters within the unit entry part of the Astartes list

I think it's more likely that Calleb is the named character he appears to be, and he is the only named HQ who isn't in the Persona Schismata appendix because he's the only named HQ choice who isn't, well, schismata -- that is to say, all the other named HQ options like Anacharis Scoria change the way the Mechanicum army list works if you take them, while Calleb Decima Invictus is vanilla.

Which is still a baffling layout choice to me, but makes some amount of sense. More sense than introducing a brand new generic HQ choice and naming it after a specific named character, anyway.

All your other predictions seem likely to me.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
If one were going to build a Raven Guard army consisting of elements of Istvaan V survivors and post-Istvaan V reinforcements wearing black and the raven sigil who've hooked up with an embittered nomad predation fleet of former Pale Nomads who've reverted to the pre-Corax grey livery and abandoned the raven sigil for the XIX numeral, designed to be fielded as one army or split in two to fight itself, am I incorrect in assuming that it'd be reasonable to build the Pale Nomads as counts-as Sons of Horus for purposes of when they're played on their own?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Stephenls posted:

Watch the FLGS that's opening in the mall across the street from my apartment building sometime in June get all these things at a discount on launch day while I'm waiting a week for everything to arrive via shipping.

So exactly this happened. They opened literally today. They even have the Heresy stuff on the shelf, though they won't let anyone buy any of it until tomorrow.

Alas it is too late to cancel my GW order.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
"All Army List profiles for the Warhammer: The Horus heresy - Age of Darkness range are divided into two categories: Core units and Expanded units. All of the units in this book are 'Core' units. These represent the mainstay of the Legiones Astartes and are supported by a wide range of miniatures. Expanded units will have rules for their use provided in supplementary PDF downloads available from the Games Workshop website, White Dwarf magazine or other places.

"Both types of unit may be freely used in any Horus Heresy battle, and this category does not affect their availability as part of an army or Detachment or the rules for their use during a battle.

"As new units and models are released, their Army List Profiles will clearly state if those units are Core or Expanded units, and future publications may shift the category of a given unit, with any such changes clearly noted in the unit's Army List Profile."

-Liber Hereticus page 8

That's not how I was expecting them to resolve that, but cool.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Is this the first time this has been confirmed in print to be the palatine aquila?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

moths posted:

Explicitly, maybe. But 1) wearing the palatine aquila was a uniquely earned EC privilege and 2) that symbol has been on III legion imagery forever.

I know the background ("Emperor's Children are the only Legion who can wear the aquila, no wait we put the aquila on other models, we mean the palatine aquila, a super special aquila that belongs to the emperor. What's that, you want a picture of it, to know how it's different from a regular aquila? Uh, look over there!" *smokebomb*), I just want to know if this is the first time they've made it explicit

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Aesaar posted:

So I bought the starter set, expecting that the MkVI marines would just go unbuilt for a while because I don't like beakies. But then I had an idea. The big difference between MkIV and MkVI armor is the helmet and the kneepads. I have loads of unbuilt MkIVs because of how boring the pose options were, so lots of spare heads and spare bodies. So I decided gently caress it, I'm converting the starter marines into MkIVs by clipping off the kneepads off MkIV legs and slotting them into the MkVI legs.

This is a perfectly reasonable amount of effort to expend on line infantry.

Those look great.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

jadebullet posted:

Anyone else not have their pre-order ship from GW yet?

I got the transfer, the dice, and a bookmark but so far it is still pending.

Mine hasn't shipped yet either, which is pretty annoying given that a) I submitted the order about five minutes after the preorder went live on the Canadian store and b) I could literally walk across the street and buy everything I ordered at a discount at the FLGS that opened three days ago in the mall across from my apartment building.

(Except I am 100% sure that if I cancelled my order and then went over to buy the stuff, I'd discover they sold the last copy of the box between yesterday and today, and if I buy the stuff now before canceling my order, I'm 100% sure I'd get a shipping notification and my order would become ineligible for cancellation by the time I walked back to my apartment.)

Anyway, point being yeah they seem to be having fulfillment issues.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Just got my shipping notice, so that’s nice.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Oh, thank God, GW announced how the plastic contemptor kit is going to work, now the content creators can stop speculating about whether the aquila visible on the front of the contemptor in some of the ads means the stand-alone kit going to be a completely different sculpt or not.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Atomantic Pavaise for the plastic Deredeo!

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Gato The Elder posted:

Also, where do I find MK2 armor? Will GW/Forge World ever make it again? Are there third party parts that don’t suck?

SkyeAuroline posted:

Tortuga Bay does very good Mk2 bodies, but a) it's just the bodies as far as I know, so you'll need your own arms and heads, b) IIRC they're affected by the ongoing Ukraine situation so I'm not sure what fulfillment looks like recently.

Given that the Spartan model has a Mk2 crew member, it's not out of the realm of possibility for it to come back in plastic.

I'm expecting a followup release wave at some point -- let's say three months from now -- with plastic assault marines and more weapon boxes. If the plastic assault marines aren't either mark ii or mark v I'll find some sort of small novelty chocolate hat to eat, so I can say I've eaten my hat.

(Or maybe it'll be despoilers and they'll sell the jump packs as an upgrade box, I don't know.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 26, 2022

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
The Legion Deathstorm Drop Pod Squadron (1-3 Deathstorm Drop Pods, 90 points each) is on page 83 of Liber Astartes and Liber Hereticus. GW did not take it away.

(Was there ever a Deathwind Drop Pod? Seems like Deathwind Missile Launcher was the name of the weapon system inside Deathstorm Drop Pods back when Deathstorm Drop Pods were a 40k unit put out by Forgeworld when the Horus Heresy wasn't its own game yet.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 1, 2022

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Floppychop posted:

Those should be able to work in a pinch. They're smallish, but look the part.

As I'm looking through actually building a list, my smooth brain is getting confused on the rites of war and allowing units to be taken as troops.

For example, I'm looking at Covenant of Fire for Salamanders. It says you can take Pyroclasts and Tactical Support units with flamers as Troops choice. Does this mean they can fill the compulsory troops choice in a detachment? Or can you only take units that are explicitly stated to be compulsory troops as such?

Elsewhere in the book, any time a Rite of War allows you to take a specific type of unit as a non-compulsory Troops choice, it says "non-Compulsory troops choice," so I assume any time it just says Troops it means you can take them as compulsory troops. But the catch is that Rites of War don't automatically give your new Troop options the Line Sub-type -- although, in this case, Covenant of Fire does give Pyroclast Squads and Legion Tactical Support Squads equipped with Dragon's Breath flamers the Line Sub-type. So go wild with those flamethrowers, I guess.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Aesaar posted:

And why is the Phobos a separate entry when it's completely identical to the Proteus carrier? Couldn't they have just had a generic Land Raider entry in the main book that covered both?

You see, the horizontal dimensions of the model are slightly different, which means it has different firing arcs....

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Hey, speaking of that.

Page 309 of the main rulebook: "When deploying their armies, players can choose not to deploy some of their units, keeping them in Reserve to arrive later."

So, putting a unit in reserve doesn't count as deploying it; it's something you can do instead of deploying it. Which, technically, means that any rule that says you can deploy this or that in this or that way shouldn't apply to putting units in reserve.

How many probably-intended modes of play does this gently caress up? Are there probably-intended-to-be-legal lists you could reasonably expect to come up against an opponent fielding and then completely destroy by insisting on this read and then winning a roll-off to see whose rules interpretation gets to take precedence this game?

(The one that I came up with was, Infiltrate on a troops unit conveys Infiltrate on its Dedicated Transport, which means you can do an Outflank with a unit of Raven Guard dudes in a rhino, unless you can construct some sort of super legalistic argument about how embarkation is a function of how units are deployed and since units in reserve aren't deployed, they're also not embarked, which means the rhino doesn't get Infiltrate and so isn't eligible to Outflank from reserves.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 4, 2022

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Yvonmukluk posted:

Liber Hereticus notes that at least when it comes to vehicles, post-Istvaan black started to be an increasingly common colour as they ran out of the typical purple pigment (and salvaged various stuff from the battlefields of Istvaan).

This does seem to be the intention. All purple -> Black with purple highlights because they can't source enough of the purple paint anymore to go all purple -> [ten thousand year interlude] -> Black with pink highlights.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Thoughts on a 1k point Zone Mortalis army? It uses the axe praetor. The second tactical squad is bereft of upgrades because the two tactical squads are designed to be potentially run as one 20-man squad instead, so the sergeant gets a demi-sergeant paint job and can't be given any upgrades he couldn't carry when the squads are merged. (Also it gives me more points to spend elsewhere.) The flamers are because I think the prospect of infiltrating a flamer support squad near an enemy unit and then laying down five flamer templates in narrow Zone Mortalis hallways is really funny. I'm using my five Prospero Tartaros terminators instead of building Cataphractii because I want to build the Cataphractii as Deliverers, but Deliverers seem devalued in Zone Mortalis where ceilings mean their teleporters stop working, and I'm using regular lightning claws on the terminators instead of Raven's Talons because a) I ran out of points, and b) I kinda want Raven's Talons to consistently look like the claws that come on the Cataphractii Terminators and the Dark Fury squad, i.e. sharp fingers rather than Wolverine claws, and I don't want to deal with kitbashing that type of power claw onto all my Tartaros terminator arms right now. (I'd have to cut them off spare Cataphractii arms and then deal with elbows, and I don't want to deal with elbows, or source additional Dark Fury arms, which would delay starting assembly too long.)

I'd kind of prefer to build a breacher or despoiler squad for Zone Mortalis purposes, but I kinda don't want to build despoiler squads overall because the Raven Guard ought to be using assault squads, and I don't want to do any of those things until I see what GW's plans are for plastic releases of 'em.

EDIT: The power lance is because I want to kitbash a guy holding a cool spear. Spears are neato, and I really need to justify buying that Namarti Thralls box just for bits. Also I've been assured that whenever you build a 30k army, it's important to know which model is secretly Alpharius.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 15, 2022

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

BirdieBedtime posted:

Good news, Cataphractii arms fit just right under Tartaros shoulders! I magnetize all of my terminators and I didn't even bother assembling the Tartaros claws.

That is good to know, but I don’t want them to have shoulder tassels, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean the Cataphractii make pretty good Deliverers...

Although that creates its own problems. If you're running the Cataphractii as Deliverers you don't need the Spartan for 'em, so you'll want to pick up Tartaros instead, but GW doesn't currently sell those....

(Dear GW, re-release the Cataphractii and Tartaros plastic terminators in new ten-model boxes with new upgrade sprues that give them more of their weapon options, plskthx.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 21, 2022