Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

JcDent posted:

DG cos they're easy to paint. Mine are all white-ish, seraphim sepia, white-ish drybrush.

Goons recommend Death World Forest over Loren Green for, er, green.
They're also great in that while they have an easy scheme you can also go nuts with layering and weathering and get some amazing (and thematic) results:

(Not mine, I found it here when looking for some painting inspiration)

I'm still tossing up between whether I want to do Death Guard or Iron Warriors. I love the look of the MKIII stuff which fits either of them and both have fairly simple schemes that can be made as complex as I feel like through extra weathering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

BULBASAUR posted:

Which legions are you new folks thinking of starting?
I keep waffling back and forth between Traitor Death Guard and Loyalist Iron Warriors. I love the look of the MKII/MKIII armour and really like using dreads and tanks, both of which work with both (although Death Guard aren't quite as heavy on the tanks as Iron Warriors but they'd still use Spartans/Rhinos/Land Raiders/etc).

I already have some Iron Warriors in 40k because I liked the idea of a Chaos faction that doesn't see Chaos as anything other than a tool. Maybe I should just grab some of the plastic MKIII marines and Terminators from the new box and use them to make the equivalent of Chaos Marines, Havocs and Terminators to go with my 40k IW Daemon Engines and go all in on Death Guard for HH.

E: Hmm, Imperial Fists and Ultramarines might also work since Heresy colour schemes tend more towards gritty and desaturated and that’s one of the things I don’t really like about them in 40k.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 2, 2022

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Same with the starer box marines. I can't do beaky Death Guard. That just looks and sounds dumb to me.

I'm looking to print up suitable heads and shoulder pads for Death Guard in Zone Mortalis though
In addition to what Salynne posted, Beerdeer found this intensely sick nasty boi earlier which is a new plastic MK VI with a resin DG head from FW:

Beerdeer posted:

gently caress yeah
I think the MK VIs in general look excellent with a head swap/custom bits in general. I personally feel the beakies only work really well for a few chapters but I'm planning on stealing them and shoving them onto some Crimson Fists for nostalgia's sake.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Lucinice posted:

Is the special weapons upgrades set usable with the MK3 and MK4 and if not does it at least seem like they can be modified to work?
They’re not designed for it but I think people have made it work. The older marines have an open left hand that stuff sits in (so only one hand on any weapons) whereas the new ones have both hands modelled as part of the gun because they fit specific marines from the new kit exactly.

You’ll need to cut off the open left hand and you’ll probably need some filler to get the hand attached correctly. Alternatively you can try sanding down the extra hand on the special weapon and sit it in the open hand of the old marine.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kharnifex posted:

Any recommendations on outfitting and collecting Iron Warriors? I am a bit lost.
In addition to the advice everyone else has given they're supposed to be putting out a PDF for rules of what they're calling 'expanded' units which will hopefully include Iron Havocs and the named characters again because right now they're missing from the main rulebooks. I was particularly surprised to see Iron Havocs missing since while they don't have a specific model they're an incredibly iconic unit to the point where they're the basis for CSM Havocs in 40k and you can very easily just build them out of MKVI marines with heavy weapon kits.

Also regarding the preferences for armour, I saw someone else say that doing something you don't want to do and complaining about it is peak Iron Warriors so MKVI armour should be fine for all of their armies and I agree wholeheartedly with that sentiment :v:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

GreenMarine posted:

I see that the Arquitor has a phosphex entry for the bombard in the wargear section, but I can't find any place that actually says how you'd equip it with phosphex. Am I missing a rule somewhere?
It's under the rules for the Siege Breaker consul since you can't equip Phosphex munitions without a Siege Breaker.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kharnifex posted:

Havocs still seem cool?
They’re still pretty good. The main problem is they’ve lost the ability to mix and match heavy weapons within the squad which has made me a bit grumpy because I have squads with either lascannons or missile launchers mixed with autocannons to act as ablative wounds for the more expensive guns that aren’t legal any more.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

BULBASAUR posted:

Look who's conversion made it into white dwarf :shobon:

Congratulations! It's amazing how much better the Deredeo looks with longer legs.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

BULBASAUR posted:

That model is not mine! I'm the author of the conversion though:
https://www.powerfisted.com/?p=293
Honestly this is even better because I was considering asking how it was done.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Lucinice posted:

Alright so I think I've settled on making an Iron Warriors army.

So with the 40 marines from the box I'm thinking 20 should be tactical squads with bolters and a support squad of rocket launchers but after that I'm unsure. I read a suggestion for auto cannon which could lead those units being iron havocs if those are any good.
Iron Havocs are pretty solid (they get the ability to pick which targets the wounds go to on certain rolls so you can wipe out squad leaders) and I think splitting your dudes as two squads of 10 Tacticals (potentially look at getting some Rhinos for them to ride around in) and then saving the other 20 to use as Iron Havocs is a solid play. I think with the way the rules are now you probably want to run the Iron Havocs with Autocannons or Lascannons and handily the MKVI Heavy Weapon upgrade box with the Lascannons also has the Autocannons in it (but isn't out yet)

If you want missiles I'd suggest looking at the Tyrant Siege Terminators instead since 5 of those will put out the same volume of fire as 10 Iron Havocs with Missiles for a similar price on a significantly more durable frame. You can buy them from ForgeWorld but if you don't want to deal with resin what I've seen people do is convert them using the Havoc Launchers from the new vehicle upgrade sprue which should be plentiful on ebay.

In terms of the terminators you can kit them out as a normal squad but the Iron Warriors also have a special unit called a Dominator Cohort (from the exemplary battles PDF) you could use instead. They're a little more expensive than regular terminators (because they all have chainfists or thunder hammers along with weapon skill 5) so they're a lot more punchy against other normal terminators and are a bodyguard (meaning they can issue and accept challenges) and would pair nicely with your Praetor to roll around and fight stuff in the Spartan.

Speaking of characters, for Iron Warriors I'd probably set the two in the box up as a Praetor (kitbashed to a Warsmith if you can get a Techmarine backpack from somewhere) and a Siege Breaker (the big absolute unit of a Praetor looks fantastic for this, particularly if you can find a Thunder Hammer head and stick it on the end of the axe haft).

Lastly you can do basically whatever with the Dread. Iron Warriors have their unique Shrapnel Bolt Cannon upgrade for the heavy bolter which means you can hose down a squad with pinning attacks from range. Iron Warriors have +1S against Vehicles/Dreads/etc so the Autocannon and Lascannon are extremely scary in the same way that they are on the Iron Havocs. Both the Fist variants are solid with the regular power fist being great against big multi-wound targets (like other Dreads) and the Chainfist being able to instant death T5 stuff in addition to absolutely shredding vehicles.

It'll be interesting to see if GW releases a plastic heavy weapon upgrade kit for Cataphractii Terminators because I noticed that a lot of the Legion specific versions have extra options now. Just about every Cataphractii squad can take Reaper Autocannons but the box only has a heavy flamer, Dominators can take Multi-meltas and Lernaeans can take Volkite Culverins (plus a bunch more I can't think of right now).

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 26, 2022

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Plastic Gorgon Terminators when GW?
Helfathers and Gholas whe?
Never, they said all the Legion-specific stuff is staying FW exclusives :smith:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Yup. Inspired by Dantioch's guys to a degree - garrison company ignorant of the outbreak of the Heresy, and given how poo poo of a father Perturabo was, not inclined to follow him into damnation. Painted the red right hand as a loyalty mark to Secundus (still debating what exactly its significance should be in terms of fealty, but we'll get there), doing the meat-grinder fighting where necessary.
They're mostly clean because I'm out of the "game" for painting for a long while now - there's a few places I tried to do wear at (the melted shoulder plate, the melta barrel, couple other things) but it just ended up looking messy and poorly painted instead. Figured getting it done clean well is better than "gritty" done poorly. They need another round of varnish that I'll do later today, you can see in the dead center of the chest where the tactical sergeant's paint already chipped down to bare plastic during assembly. Other than that they're basically good to go, and once I have a replacement for the drill bit that snapped in half today, I'll pin the rest of a 10-man squad to work through. I have one Tactical and the vexilla bearer on pins already, but the tactical got hosed up during priming and the vexilla bearer just has one color basecoated. Had to wrap up something so I wasn't in a total morale slump.

Still need to figure out what to do for the Warsmith - I have the bits necessary for an artificer armor one, but it's such a poor fit, especially for IW...
:hfive: loyalist Iron Warriors buddy. I enjoyed the fluff about both Dantioch and Kyr Vhalen and I'm probably going to end up collecting traitor Death Guard at some point as well so I figured why not do something a bit different and run them as loyalists.

I'm also hoping I can paint up a Knight Dominus as a Legio Gryphonicus Vassal and run that as a LoW in larger games once the Liber Mechanicum comes out since Iron Warriors were big on hanging out with the Mechanicum and Titan Legions. Probably not going to be great in terms of gameplay but who cares, giant robot.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Isn't the Logos their only ROW? I know they have a traitor warlord trait (in which the justification for traitorhood is "they didn't get jacked off enough for doing their jobs"), just making sure I didn't miss a pdf or something.
I believe BULBASAUR means Warlord Trait rather than ROW. Several of the factions that didn't have specific allegiance Warlord Traits now have them which means that things like Traitor Ultramarines and Loyalist Word Bearers can be an actual thing on the tabletop now where they couldn't before.

It also amuses me that the Alpha Legion just straight up doesn't have Loyalist/Traitor and you can run them with either.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

JcDent posted:

Wait, there's a loyalist WB WT/RoW?
Not as such, there are ones that aren’t traitor only.

Logically, if something is restricted to traitors then it must mean there are loyalists that also exist. Indirectly it means there’s official acknowledgement of such which as I understand it didn’t exist previously.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I think I’ve seen people use the pennant from one of the old 40k bike kits (Ravenwing Command Squad maybe?) mounted on the back of one of the bikes before and that looked neat.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

anyone know where all of the death guard stuff that was preordered went? gone off of the site

Oh they were...a limited sale??? Why???
Which stuff are you looking for? I don’t think any of the new shoulders/helmets/praetors have been available yet and the old stuff on Forgeworld has been cycling in and out of availability since the release of 2.0 (at least on the Aus FW store).

The actual new kits they’ve released have been pretty readily available at least and most of them are likely carried by your LGS which is also probably cheaper than GW.

I gather that Heresy’s resurgence was a fair bit more popular than they expected because at least here the repacked/rereleased stuff like the MKIII marines and the transfer sheets were basically up for the first week and then haven’t been available since.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

JcDent posted:

For the past few days, I have been beset by the idea that I shouldn't do my beakies and prets as DG, but I have barely managed to develop it further. Considering that they're assembled as mostly Tacs and Tac supports, where else can I go for KT purposes? IH, UM, BA, EC? Argh.
There's oldschool artwork of Death Guard beakies from Istvaan so they've canonically had them for ages. Also, beakies look fantastic in Death Guard colours and the DG MKVI kits are some of the best they've done.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Based on the wording in the Alpha Legion kit release it looks like the new Exodus model will be shown off next week as well.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

The Demilich posted:

Any specified release date for the Alpha Legion upgrade sprues?
They seem to have become available roughly 4-6 weeks after their announcement in most cases. I'd expect to see the Alpha Legion and Raven Guard upgrades along with Exodus in the next week or two and then the Esoterist, Head Upgrades and potentially that new daemonic Assassin a few weeks after that.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I went back and touched up my first 30k squad to match the rest of the army as well as finished my missile launcher squad. To celebrate reaching about 1000 points I put together a montage of all the minis included.
I call it "The struggle to paint a consistent Night Lords blue"...

Honestly they look pretty consistent to me with the only real difference being the light source in a different spot between some of the squads. That sort of desaturated blue is really difficult to pull off and I think what you've done looks outstanding.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Stephenls posted:

Last year (or early this year?) I went to some effort to scale up the original plastic MkIIIs to match the new MkVIs; I was really curious how they'd look next to the new ones.

I think it worked.

EDIT: My one complaint about the new MkIIIs is that either the chins go down too far or the neck bulbs don't, because if you socket a helmet into a torso the chin will ride up against the gorget and put the head into a natural pose of looking slightly upwards. You can see in that pic how I tried to combat this by filing the chin a bit, but it isn't enough.
I think I like your upscaled one more than the new kit.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Agreed. I have upscaled old-MkIII as heavy support for my IW and I like the models a lot better that way. They didn't need this redesign, especially not one that removes options from the kit and fucks its compatibility with anything but MkVI parts.

It doesn't help that new MkIII looks like an off brand version trying to avoid copyrights or some poo poo.
I think it's basically just the helmet and powerpack that look a bit like third party bits. Cult of Paint recently did a video on the new MKIII and as soon as they put one of the old MKIII helmets on the new bodies they instantly looked just fine again.

I'm intending to pick up at least one box of them and I've got enough spare MKIII helmets and backpacks from the original plastic kit that I think I can swap the full 20 over. I tend to blutack stuff into place before I prime so if I remember I'll post some comparison shots of them with the old helmet/pack vs the new ones.

Stephenls posted:

Thanks! I'm happy with the effect I got from it. (More on that in a bit.)

I don't really agree that it looks like an off-brand version, but I do think it's a significant shift. It was hard to tell when we just had one of the new armor sets, but now that we have two, I think it's evident that the Heresy 2.0 model line is a much more significant revision to the actual art style of heresy minis than anyone expected.

So, check this out. Here's the original John Blanche sketches for Marks I-VII, plus the Jess Goodwin Mark VIII sketch.

(One of the reasons why I'm so happy with my MkIII upscaling is that proportionally it resembles that Mark III sketch, kinda round and wide and stocky.)

All art necessarily involves deliberate stylization; you couldn't make miniatures that are 100% accurate to those sketches. The original ForgeWorld sculptors made some interesting decisions when interpreting those sketches into 3D. For example, compare the banding along the legs of the Blanche Mark II sketch to this:

The ForgeWorld sculptor has chosen to interpret the banding along the legs as a series of overlapping cylinders. It looks great; I love that design for Mark II and for the back of the legs of Mark III. But it's not accurate to the sketch -- that leg banding in the sketch is flush, not overlapping. The sketch, by itself, almost looks more like this guy's arms than the ForgeWorld sculpt:

(Colossus pic chosen more or less at random but you can see how the Blanche art resembles the classic Marvel method of portraying cybernetic or metal body parts; basically naked bodybuilder flesh colored silver and contoured into cylindrical sections.)

The new Mark III minis aren't an update to the old Mark III minis; they're a reinterpretation of the original sketches. They don't match the sketches perfectly, but they vary from them to about the same degree the old sculpts did -- just in different ways. And as for the art style, when I look at the proportions of the new minis, I see this:

The heads are smaller and the shoulders are bigger and higher up. This is a whole new set of stylistic choices, unbound to the previous choices by the ForgeWorld sculptors of yore. And that's really annoying if you have big old Heresy armies and would like the new ones to match them visually, but, well, artists gonna art. Artists generally want to break free from previous conventions and do their own thing, and I think that's what we're seeing here.

What I expect here is that when we get the updated Mark IV, the helmets are going to look weird. They're probably going to be much closer to that weird duck bill thing on the Blanche Mark IV sketch than revisions to the existing Mark IV plastics.

One other interesting choice I see here. If you look at the back of the legs of the new MkIII, and also the back of the legs of an Intercessor...

It makes the Intercessor look like a technological descendant of the Mark III plate. Which is... I dunno if that's cool? I don't know if I like it. I do genuinely prefer the overlapping plates to the flush ones on Mark II and Mark III. But this has got to be deliberate. Leakycheese did a video about how the Kratos has been sculpted to look like a design predecessor of other Space Marine tanks that were sculpted earlier but developed later according to the lore, and I think this is the same sort of thing.

(Also randomly of note, if you look at the Jess Goodwin Mark VIII sketch, you can see the curved armor ridges above the ear coverings; those didn't make it into actual Mark VIII minis but are a signature of Mark X armor now.)
This post owns.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Crazy Ferret posted:

My group of friends put together a truly massive 30k game. A massive 30k versus 30k game with everything from massive Titans to the humble Guard troopers seeing action. Please enjoy the pictures since this was an epic game and showcases some of my friends incredible work. Please ignore the background decor as our rental house was furnished by insane facebook posts we think.

So they approach...

I brought out my humble Guard army that I play in 40k since my own Dark Angels are far from painted. I used the The Imperialis Militia to translate my armored Cadian guard into an industrial stronghold, warrior elite milita army. A lot of this was trying to find uses for what I already had painted. I do enjoy that in a game involving Perturabo, Ka'Bandha, and Horus being on the table, my warlord is a mounted Merchant Princeling marching with his "lifeguard" squad.

I still had to cheat a bit as my Shadowsword, Basilisk, and Avenger Strike Fighter are only available to the Space Marine Legions. I guess those weapons had not made their way out to the local militia units yet. I took them anyway since it was an Apocalypse game and that was the spirit of the game. Still, it did not matter. My 4000 points were a tiny part of the massive battle that would take place. Just the scale of this was insane.

Horus charged headfirst into what would become known as "Spartan Alley".

Perturabo showed up with his custom Shadowsword but spent the game running around with his robot pals wrecking everything that he came into contact with.

Demons of the Ruinstorm burst through the gate and bullied pretty much everything all game. They are very fast on the table, and really put us back. Looked epic as hell though.

Warhammer 30k is nothing if not glorious piles of marines. Just mobs of power armor vibrating against each other for turns at at time.

It is worth to remembering how much of this is just a giant pile of tanks as well.

I remember looking up from my various tanks getting nuked by stray shots from the titans to see what could only be described as the "Madness Pile." This features Alpharius and friends meeting a pile of Custodes.

It was a great, if exhausting game. We set up the table and armies the day before, but it was still an all day affair. We joke that you play Apocalypse once a year to remind yourself why you only do this once a year. Enjoy a final shot of how a good riff on a Titan's owner resulted in a stray Doomday/Apocalypse cannon annihilating some Sentinels and a Russ.

This looks like it would have been rad as hell and is only helping to reinforce that I still really want to make that stupid custom Shadowsword for my Iron Warriors even though I don't need it.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I know they seem allergic to mixing and matching 30k and 40k stuff but they could just make all the Mechanicum robits in plastic and then give them rules in 40k so they can be the missing Cybernetica part of the army.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

LurchinTard posted:

were there any knight houses closely associated with the blood angels?
I’m not sure how accurate it is but the Adeptus Titanicus Wiki was useful for me when I was trying to find a house to use as an ally for my loyalist Iron Warriors. Their page on the Blood Angels indicates that they were allied to House Devine, Donar, Indra, Kaushik and Mamaragon and there are links to each of those from that page.

You can also take a look at the Legios they were allied to and see if they have vassal houses since those would also theoretically be deployed alongside them.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

LurchinTard posted:

I appreciate it!
I forgot to mention it earlier but it's usually a good idea to cross check the history of the houses in question using Lexicanum or the main WH40K wiki site because the AT wiki is basically just stated facts about stuff rather than any context.

Looking into it a bit further I can see that the Blood Angels were present during the Battle of Molech and that's where all 5 of the listed allied houses were based. I believe that of the 5 only House Mamaragon (and potentially some loyalists from House Devine that weren't part of them turning traitor at Molech) actually survived Molech so if you're doing narrative stuff in the mid-to-late Heresy Era and you want to be "accurate" you'll probably want to look into either of those.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

My Spirit Otter posted:

i picked up some mk iiis for my emperors children army because i love the look of them, but they dont really fit and so i decided to make an iron hands army. what do you guys think of this yellow? too schoolbusy?

I presume you mean Imperial Fists rather than Iron Hands and that yellow looks solid. I personally prefer the slightly desaturated yellow colour that quite a few of the black books colour plates have but the mustard yellow is pretty classic for Fists.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

My Spirit Otter posted:

i absolutely meant imperial fists, whoops. i also like the desaturated look, the ink i bought looked darked in the bottle, sadly.

would a sepia or agrax work?
If you’re going to do an all over wash you might be able to work a tiny bit of purple into it and it’ll desaturate the yellow somewhat.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I would also like to look at the actual rules for it before passing full judgement but I think with my friends we'd probably just house rule it so the 'work out who's rules are applied' thing would just be at the start of each turn for the Shattered Legions player. I sort of get the reason why the fluff would be every phase but I feel that walking it back to once a round still preserves the flavour without making it a bookkeeping nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Stephenls posted:

Since the plastic melee weapon kit showed up on the roadmap at the same time and for release alongside the plastic command squad, and they seem to have finally revealed all the resin characters who show up in Beta-Garmon, I assume they’ll be showing off those plastic weapons next Thursday. So this is probably Oops, All Swords because they want us to get other melee weapons with the accompanying weapons kit.

As for pairing it with the existing five poses, it’s because they want it to be backwards compatible with both existing armor sets and forwards compatible with any more armor sets they put out. If you look at the way GW is handling body kits for Heresy, they’re being very efficient with the number of moulds they produce; wherever possible, they reuse existing body or vehicle components. Those five poses are probably all we’re going to have for a while.
I think we're still missing Horus Aximand in terms of resin characters but yes, hopefully it'll be shown off in the next few weeks. Although the Mechanicum Knights teaser from AdeptiCon means there might be some new stuff from that range as well which will probably be counted as Heresy Thursday.