Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

HERESY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Honest question here, as I've been debating on the colour scheme for my upcoming Death Guard army, did they ctually perform any action beyond the attack on Terra once they gave themselves to Nurgle?

I've been going through as much lore as I can find. I understand that pre-heresy those with Terra ancestory wore the armour with pride and seemed to keep it well kept. The future recruits from Mortarion home world were more ruthless and were used in the later Crusade as being able to go without refulling and rearming for longer periods of time and wore more of the battle damage as a point of pride.
So....clean is more pre-heresy and/or the Terra born recruits while later generations more battle damage. So depending on how I want to go, a clean look is viable

But....when they got trapped in the Warp and gave themselves to Nurgle and became the "Death Guard" of Nurgle, did they do any battles beyond rushing to the siege?
Is it viable to have some Nurgle infested marines or were they strictly at the siege as infected monstrosities?
Want to know for potentional conversions and what not

I remember reading potentially-old fluff that the Death Guard were one of the few legions that retreated to the Eye of Terror in any semblance of order. So you could definitely narratively play some Nurgle-infested DG as part of the Siege or its immediate aftermath as they made their way to the Eye.

Additionally, while the big legion-wide infesting didn't happen until their trip to Terra, there were individual Traitor-aligned DG who got Daemonic prior to the Siege. Ignatius Grulgor (wonderful name) became some kind of daemonhost/living conduit of the Life-eater Virus early on in the Heresy and drives a plague wagon across Molech in the book Vengeful Spirit. With that in mind I think you could totally justify any Nurgly-looking DG as being around during the pre-Siege Heresy.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

JcDent posted:

Dunno about the first one. Standard compulsory is HQ+ 2 troops, and then idk how much of Elites, FA, HS...

Troops are generally Tacticals (Bolters), Breachers (bolters, shields, SWCs), Assault Marines. I think these can fill compulsory slots - Recon, Scout and Tac Support can't.

Some RoWs turn different units (snoflakes, vehicles) into troops and compulsory troops.

Legion Despoiler Squads (basically Assault Squads without jump packs) are also a Compulsory Troops option. They have bolt pistols and close combat weapons instead of bolters and bolt pistols. They can swap their CCWs for Chainswords.

They're great for Legions like the World Eaters who can swap the Chainswords for Chainaxes. Spite of the Legion seems extremely good, too.

DrPop fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 6, 2022

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

^^ all of the recent Warhammer Community articles spotlighting individual legions have both GW-painted examples and stuff painted by non-GW people.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I was surprised when I read the change to weapons and squad composition; I'd always considered the restrictions on Primaris some sort of strange stopgap but, no, GW really seems to like it.

I'm going to have a very hard time letting go of the concept of the core infantry foundation being a ten man tactical squad with one assault weapon, one heavy weapon, and one close combat Sargent. However, I'll do my best to try it.

So are things like flamers only going to appear in infantry form as something like a devastator squad?

Flamers and other "special weapons" (plasma, meltaguns) are carried by your Legion Tactical Support Squads. Heavy weapons like missile launchers, plasma cannons, and so on, are carried by your Legion Heavy Support Squads. And every member of those squads carries one of the weapon.

For per-model weapon choice, you're generally looking at things like Veterans, Terminators, or other specialized units like Destroyers and some unique Legion units.

DrPop fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 6, 2022

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

BULBASAUR posted:

If you're coming into this from 40k, most of the unit building tropes are quite different

10 guys for your heavy or tactical support squads, they must carry a special weapon. All can take various transports like rhinos or land raiders. That's right- 10 lascannons, 10 plasma guns, 10 multi meltas, etc and a tank

The minimum size for Tactical Support and Heavy Support squads is 5 marines. Max is 10.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Floppychop posted:

It looks like locally there may actually be a sizeable amount of people in my area getting into 30k with the new box/edition.

Of course that has me thinking of which Legion I'd roll with, but I'm kind of stuck in analysis paralysis of World Eaters or Salamanders.

But before I jump whole-hog into this, what's the size (in rough model-count) of a normal game? I don't want to get into something where I'd have to paint up 100+ marines. I may already own most of an army anyway, but I'm not sure. I have a recast Fellblade and unit of Firedrakes that a friend dumped on me, and a Forge World Sicaran and 30 plastic mk3 marines that are still unassembled.

For something like a smaller 1-1.5k ZM game, you could easily have an entire army consist of 20-30 models (or even less for certain RoWs that might be in 2.0).

In my experience World Eater armies are much larger than Salamanders armies. World Eaters like to drown the enemy in big blobs of chainaxe wielding freaks, Salamanders are usually pretty elite, smaller forces centered around Firedrakes like the ones you have as well as other hardy infantry.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I love the PDF

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Had my first game of 2.0 in a ZM match. Did a 2500 game; my side was 1250 of DG and 1250 of UM against 2500 of IW including Pert. Was a lot of fun and we managed to kill Pert thanks to the extremely broken missile launchers on Ultramarine Fulmentarus terminators. I was also pleased with my autocannon heavy support squad, which did a considerable amount of damage before unceremoniously fleeing off the board after failing a Blind Panic check.

Other takeaways:

- Brutal is good
- Contemptors are really, really good for their cost. They probably need a nerf or points increase
- Box dreads are pretty fun and clunky
- The ZM mission from WD needs tweaking to make it not super in favor of the defender. We adjusted this by making sure all objectives were outside the defender DZ
- Heresy owns

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Z the IVth posted:

All separate.

This is Rad. Where did the battlemat come from?

The terrain and mats came from here: https://www.gamemat.eu/

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Lot of Heresy stuff coming up for pre order soon

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/08/07/sunday-preview-massed-reinforcements-for-warhammer-the-horus-heresy/

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Finished this Leviathan for my Death Guard. Had a lot of fun painting and building it.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

BirdieBedtime posted:

I'm enjoying the way the game works but I'm not enjoying how hard it is to pull rules out of these drat books or any of the weird little frowny bits that pop up. The index for the core book is missing half the rules and the Libers don't even have one.

Yeah, this is my main criticism of the new rules so far and it's nothing wrong with the rules proper--things just aren't really laid out in any comprehensive way.

I've enjoyed pretty much everything else.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Quick question about the LVO. Do I need to avoid tossing too many 3rd party shouldler pads on my Word Bearers or anything like that? I am printing up some signficantlly better looking rune etched chaos shoulder pads I was going to mix through the army on top of Chaos Space Marine box or 2.

If you're doing the ZM event, we don't really care about that. We don't run the other 30k event so I can't really comment on how sensitive they might be, but I think it's "just narrative" anyway so I imagine they'd be pretty chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I'm pretty sure most US FW orders ship from their US warehouse now.