Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The inspiration was, afaik, from the two lost Roman legions. I don't know if anything else really existed.

The whole thing was kind of a jumbled draw from ancient times. Humans were the Romans going into untamed lands full of mystical loud dressed weirdos (Celts/Eldar) and barbaric fur wearing weirdos (Germanics/Orks) with some other stuff thrown in. It's not a 1:1 for anything, but that's why you get craft worlds named after Celtic holidays and Ork boyz wearing pickelhaube.

Some historians currently think the two lost Roman legions were administratively dissolved into the other legions - which would be a fun thing to extrapolate into 40k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's explicitly mentioned in Betrayer, IIRC - which is a neat nod. But I think there's an implication that it was punitive.

I need to read that again.

Did boxnauts get cut in HH2?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Bummer, but glad there's hope. Thanks.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Was that in the Space Wolves/ Thousand Sons books? I could have sworn there was a mention in one of those about the Space Wolves being used to cleanse at least one the lost legions.

Yeah I think it was Prospero Burns - not Betrayer. Two Ultras in a landspeeder are talking it over as they're clearing civilians out of Lorgar's Perfect City for demolition.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Two traits the Emperor would conceal from even himself are shame and doubt.

But the Emperor has neither of these things! But all men do, and their absence makes a good for those being emblematic of the missing two.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Stephenls posted:

Is this the first time this has been confirmed in print to be the palatine aquila?

Explicitly, maybe. But 1) wearing the palatine aquila was a uniquely earned EC privilege and 2) that symbol has been on III legion imagery forever.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm building 30k scouts. Feels weird, but bayonets on bolters feels good.

What does a Nemesis Bolter look like? Is that the sniper variant?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, like in the Space Marine game, right?

I thought they just had long barrels and like, a lasgun for a red-dot or something. Isn't that what the Raven Guard guys get?

I'm very surprised how little Google has helped me here, but Nemesis force weapons dominate the search.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thanks everybody for the Bolter knowledge!

I've had much more fun gluing stuff together this weekend than I expected.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Goddamnit, vexilla aren't banners for your sergeants. At least I only had to fix 3.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Feeple posted:

I'm considering running the Oops all Dreadnaughts Rite in Imperial Fists because I love the Contemptor and Deredo Dreadies.

Oh good lord this is the first I heard of this. I looked into Fury of the Ancients and it sounds so stupid that I love it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Cross post!

moths posted:

Oath complete!

No room for the challenge this month.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Goddamn I need to work on my photography. And painting. Some serious talent on display, guys.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

SkyeAuroline posted:

... hey, wait a second. The Hammerfall Bunker has rules in this PDF. Isn't that a Primaris fortification?

I think this occupies the spot old deathwind drop pods would, so it's relatively consistent with the fluff.

Still sucks it's got new Aquilas moulded onto it, this would look sick with Eyes of Horus everywhere.

1/7 down! FotA is the dumbest idea I've ever loved.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh poo poo, looks like they're actually still around. I never realized they made it out of Epic.

I am very old.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The four cult legions wouldn't be wearing Chaos symbols and modern colors until after their primarchs ascended to Daemonhood in late Heresy, right?

Basically when do World Eaters go red and Thousand Sons blue, EC pink, and DG green?

It doesn't seem like 40k bits would show up until the Solar War. Which makes me think that's getting a book at some point, probably after Angron and Fulgrim ascended figures.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There's probably a very satisfying video of power washing a deathguard down to his pre heresy armor. Yuk.

In Fulgrim, some of the EC legionnaires have started painting patterns and designs on their armor, so around Istvaan wouldn't be a bad place to start that.

I feel like this is the most nebulous area of lore. House Taranis started blue, then painted their armor Red in honor of Mars joining the Imperium, but are blue again in AT and then paint Red after being nearly annihilated in the Heresy. There's probably no real answer.

moths fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 4, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Look at this square who'd formulate paint instead of rendering humans into :catdrugs:.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

What about the Emperor's Children Sun Killers? Twenty beautiful battlebros with lascannons seems like a great way to lose 20 lascannons.

E: oh ya, ok ignoring the PDF

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

That is a handsome Dreadnought

Ha!

I've been making him some friends:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Twenty dudes with vulkite culverins seems like a hilarious way to use all these Mk6 bodies, but I don't think they'd fit in the free trench.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Broken Record Talk posted:

If I ever get around to finishing it, I’ll be sure to post it!

You've probably already realized this, but you'll be able to make two of him.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Maybe 0.2 + more Warp Magic than expected.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The old Daemons of the Ruinstorm list isn't viable for the Esoterist, right?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm just taking a vexila and chain bayonets - at this point in learning I'd rather have more guys than specialized sergeants.

We're also gaming under 1000 until my group gets up to speed, so that might be a factor.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Got a better photo of my scouts, and the MkIV helmets were absolutely the correct decision.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Those were bad babies.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

JcDent posted:

Ferrus isn't as mad as Pert, but still an rear end in a top hat afaik.

Ferris is Paul Bunyan but real.

"Well then he wrestled that dang metal snake for three days and finally drowned it in lava, and wouldn't you know it the metal plum stuck to his hands!"

I hope he returns as Ferrus Corpus as a severed head piloting an Imperator Titan.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thanks ijyt and bulba!

I love that it fixes the two problems with scouts: the meaty faces and not looking like HH figures.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It was difficult to suppress the classic Crimson Fists urge accompanying 40 beakies in a box.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ooh poo poo those are going to look rad with decorative strips of flesh.

I'm really enjoying playing with the Mk6 armor.

So far I've added a few to my Kakophoni (using AoS, FW, and CSM bits) and the focal point of the weapon visually drowns out the size difference.

I'm hesitant about using them as a base for Palatine Blades, though - they're very plain which makes them a good fit for conversion but going ornate may take more converting than they're worth.

The old FW palatines are REALLY drat short, too.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thanks, it never even occurred to me to swap the front - guess I'm still adjusting to the attached legs.

And sanguinary guard look perfect for Heresy EC! Big Sigvald the Magnificent energy there.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

At minimum, FLAYER written in the Slayer font. Maybe "STEAL YER FACE" if it's not too wordy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Horror Student
Have a Knife Day
1B SEVERED
CURZE MISSILE
Art of Darkness
Skin Artist

Anyway, here's three of those Mk6 Kakophoni, which actually take the 40k Noise Marines weapons pretty well. It helps since they're supposed to be armed with an eclectic assortment of instruments - but there's only one FW sculpt.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I don't understand what's happening because I have the short ones and they look like the same ones that on the FW site. (Inexplicably still on 25mm bases.)

Did you put some spacers in there or something?

E: Wait did you give that MkIII chibi legs?

moths fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 23, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That looks like the unit champion - maybe he's bigger? I'll post a comparison when I get back home Sunday.

This is super strange. The one I built was short and about as wide as he is tall, so I started converting them from other kits.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I think I see the current meta developing.

In other news I ordered some blank decal sheets for my printer! Will let you know guys how it goes.

Woof. I feel like FotA is going to turn out to be a paper tiger, although the Xyphon is criminally undercosted. Surprised it's happening at Warhammer World though, the biggest draw is that it's a really easy army to print.

Make sure to spray seal your decals after you print them! It basically the difference between success and an annoying failure.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I've never had any success printing decals with an inkjet, but I've clear coated the laser/ toner style and it worked pretty great.

I guess better advice would be to try that if whatever you're doing isn't working.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Good luck! And sorry if I was unclear earlier, you'll want to spray the sheet after it's dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Hurry up, battlescribe!