Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj3ENSVogTo

quote:

One evening as panascope was playing Horus Heresy, bulbasaur with a sharp sword entered, demanding wither his models or his life.

panascope told him: "Do not disturb me. You can find the models in that cabinet." Then he resumed his domination of Hixson.

A little while afterwards he stopped and called: "Don't take them all. I need some to play games with tomorrow."

The intruder gathered up most of the models and started to leave. "Thank a person when you receive a gift," panascope added. Bulbasaur thanked him and made off.

A few days afterwards the fellow was caught and confessed, among others, the offense against panascope. When panascope was called as a witness he said: "This idiot loser is no thief, at least as far as I am concerned. I gave him the models and he thanked me for them."

After he had finished his prison term, bulbasaur went to panascope and became his disciple.

Welcome to the Horus Heresy 2.0! After spending several years on life support, Horus Heresy is getting a new edition, with support from Games Workshop instead of Forgeworld, refreshed rules for every legion, lots of new plastics coming, and plenty of hype. While 40k has once again turned into a bloated mess featuring space clowns among the top armies, Heresy 2.0 offers intense firefights, brutal close combats, and fantastically sculpted models.

As a special treat, early versions of the rules were leaked to the unwashed masses a few weeks ago, you can find these playtest rules here:
Core Rules
Traitor Rules
Loyalist Rules

Note that the Phase 1 traitor rules are a bit older, and are liable to change between now and release. Don't let this stop you from making huge posts about the balance though.

In addition to the new release, we'll be getting a brand new box set, priced at 180squid/225burgerbux, that comes with basically a complete army for a new player (or two smaller forces if you split it with a friend [editor's note: nobody has friends]):

Big rules changes in 2.0 include sweeping changes to the Outflank and Deep Strike rules, the introduction of Reactions that can be taken by the non-active player, streamlining of many existing rules and reduction of RNG for things like warlord traits. Overall it's a very welcome change. The Warhammer Community website is running a preview of the legions and their rules every day until they've done all 18.

panascope fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

From the previous thread:

wins32767 posted:

So I haven’t played since like rogue trader/first edition but I found the full company of marines I’d assembled back in the 90s. It looks like 40k has mainly moved on from my old stuff, would 30k be a good place to use all those old models (including like 4 units of og rogue trader era marines?

This is the perfect game to use those old models, and you should feel encouraged to do so.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Play Horus Heresy, my lords.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah it rules, and this is their best system by a mile too. What legions are you considering?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Red Herring posted:

My friends are full time HH nerds - and I've been orbiting for a bit - getting the fix in through Titanicus and BFG.

Picking Iron Hands, because they're basically space dwarfs, and seem to be under-represented. What's cool about them and what should I get? I've already picked up some Gorgons because they look great.

The Head of the Gorgon Rite of War looks very good, as it basically opens up a ton of options for your army while having a pretty limited drawback. You could consider a Mechanized Infantry swarm to capture objectives (consider your Gorgons in a Spartan), or a big mess of heavy tanks, like the new Kratos.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Lucinice posted:

How beginner friendly would you say Horus Heresy is? I originally wanted to play 40k but you know it's a mess right now so that'll go on the backburner for a bit.

I’ve never had any problem explaining the 1.0 version of this game to people, even ones who have never done any sort of wargaming in the first place.
Aside from that, one of the nice things in the new edition is that, aside from the core rulebook, you really only need one book to write your army. Obviously this will get more layered as they re-introduce armies like Mechanicum, Solar Auxilia, and Militia, but if you’re looking to play Legions it’s basically as easy as it gets.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Lucinice posted:

Are 40k mechanicum units playable in HH or is it the forge world ones only? They've been one of my choices for a 40k army.

There’s a pretty fair amount of overlap even if there’s not a perfect 1:1 comparison for some stuff. Kastelan robots and Castellax robots, for instance.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

No changes that I can see from their leaked rules. Very excited to finish my fifteen Red Hand Destroyers.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Here’s a couple of the Destroyers

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Play, World Eaters

Anyway here’s all the legion rules

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

I haven't played in a decade, and the current vehicle rules make me very mad, but when I recommitted myself to the hobby I swore I'd play games, including with strangers and at tournaments, and by default I figured that meant 40k. But hey, maybe this boxed set changes that??

Come to LVO.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hi, I’m here to strongly recommend attending the Las Vegas Open, and playing 30k with the 20 of us that show up. It’s cheap to get there and we’ll go to a burger place where a 3’ tall woman will paddle us on the rear end.

We’ll be playing Zone Mortalis, which means you only need to cough up 1,000 points, easily achievable with the new Box!

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

These suck; you’re a loser

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

My #1 goal for 2.0 is to make 101 attacks with a World Eaters Despoiler squad. [Post] your Game Goals.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Count Thrashula posted:

I just hope me and my opponent have fun :^)

MODS

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

This squad is 2/3 done. After this is 10 more tacs.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

One claw to snip you while you’re lookin, one claw to drill you while you ain’t

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

We do ZM, that’s a manageable amount of stuff to fly with. Friday and Saturday are the main playing days, and we’ll usually spend the evenings moving into a sort of blind drunkenness.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Demolished.
Buried.
Destroyed.
Manhandled.
Dumpstered.
Thrashed.
Crushed.
These words and more describe what I did to forums poster Hixson this afternoon, stomping his brains out in a 1000 point ZM match. I played a Berserker Assault list with Kharn, my new Red Hand Destroyers, an Apothecary, a Despoiler Squad, and a Red Butchers squad. He took a Terror Assault list with a generic Delegatus, a Champion, a Contemptor, an Assault Squad, a Recon Squad, a Terror Squad, and a Heavy Weapons Squad. He tried to lay down some Pinning fire on me at the outset of the game but wasn't able to force any failed checks. I spent the first turn advancing far (7" runs are good) in preparation for a big assault.

Berserker Assault was great, it did everything I wanted it to. Running and charging further are obviously good, and getting the +1Ld against Pinning came up multiple times. Kharn is a blender with Gorechild, in the reaction charge I made he wound up making 9 attacks (4 base, +2 from my legion rules/charging, +3 from Rampage). Their legion rule - getting +1A on the charge - is a huge output upgrade. For a regular Despoiler squad it's 33% more attacks, clearly tremendous. And Shred being baked into Chain weaponry now was just icing on the ccake.
I was a little gunshy with my new Red Hand Destroyers, mainly because of Hixson's missile launcher heavy support squad, but I think I could have played them a little more aggressively. Once in combat they were devastating, every wound having ID from the meteor hammers against his squad was fantastic. I need to keep the Evade reaction in mind in future games.

His Contemptor didn't do poo poo, it killed like two terminators before getting gutted on the last turn.
He also managed to activate my legion reaction, which resulted in me cleaning house on half his army.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

:siren::siren::siren: IMPORTANT THREAD ANNOUNCEMENT :siren::siren::siren:

The Pacific Northwest, home of the finest Heresy players on the planet, will play host to a 2v2 battle featuring me and forums poster Bulbasaur facing off against posting losers Hixson and Stanyer89.

This grudge match is a follow up to a shouting mad game we had a few weeks ago, where we C L O B B E R E D those dweebs 10-2.

This time around, in honor of the ancient Roman tradition, the losers will face
code:
P U B L I C H U M I L I A T I O N
as the victorious side will force them to go under the yoke. This game, and the
code:
D E V A S T A T I N G P U N I S H M E N T
will be live streamed this evening, enshrining this crushing embarrassment for all time.

Settle in, get shithoused, and watch two people crawl on their bellies like slugs for your amusement. Whomever loses, you win! Tonight!

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I made a battlescribe catalog like that once for Necrons. I went and lowered all the points costs by like ten to fifteen percent. Nobody checks the catalog itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Beerdeer posted:

Saturday I took a 3k list of UMs plus a Warhound with Plasma Blaster and Vulcan Megabolter. The WH was decidedly meh, but I appreciated my opponent shooting at it out of fear rather than my actually useful Suzerains and Lascannon heavy weapon squad.

Who won though?