Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Elder Postsman posted:

christ. nearly got phished this morning by someone that spoofed my CU's customer service number. watch out for that poo poo, y'all.

scammers are targeting credit unions because they're typically smaller with less resources to invest in proper security measures and customers are often more trusting because they often have personal relationships with the CU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Deviant posted:

banks don't call

they have lawyers send letters

my canadian banks definitely call me unprompted to ask about stuff. some people consider this "a personal touch" while others consider it "a huge security risk."

this year i was looking for a tax form that i never got in the mail. because canada is dumb and backwards about all banking except for interac, there was no way to access this form online. so starting a few weeks ago i tried a couple different ways to get it, including leaving a message with a banker at my branch that i had spoken to before, sending a message in the general online banking support line, and calling various customer support lines.

this week, after the tax deadline had passed, i got an email from a guy i have never heard of. posted in its entirety:

fortunately i had already gotten the form through other avenues

it was the correct form! but like. come on dude

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Deviant posted:

banks don't call

they have lawyers send letters

just start acting like phone calls dont exist anymore, because they frankly shouldnt

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

my canadian banks definitely call me unprompted to ask about stuff. some people consider this "a personal touch" while others consider it "a huge security risk."

this year i was looking for a tax form that i never got in the mail. because canada is dumb and backwards about all banking except for interac, there was no way to access this form online. so starting a few weeks ago i tried a couple different ways to get it, including leaving a message with a banker at my branch that i had spoken to before, sending a message in the general online banking support line, and calling various customer support lines.

this week, after the tax deadline had passed, i got an email from a guy i have never heard of. posted in its entirety:

fortunately i had already gotten the form through other avenues

it was the correct form! but like. come on dude
lol that email looks so fake

also incredible that a bank would send a form as an attachment rather than saying an email to log into your account to download it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

scammers are targeting credit unions because they're typically smaller with less resources to invest in proper security measures and customers are often more trusting because they often have personal relationships with the CU

yeah. i've posted it before but i used to have a credit union account in canada, the same little bank my parents used, but i closed out the accounts a number of years ago after a variety of eyebrow-raise incidents culminating in "we've implemented online banking! just go to this html form and put in your 6 digit account number and 4 digit ATM PIN and you have full access to your account!"

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

rotor posted:

so how do they get customer lists? do they need to get leaked or is that something that's easy to figure out?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mystes posted:

also incredible that a bank would send a form as an attachment rather than saying an email to log into your account to download it

:canada:

i don't think there is a way to get it online. this email is from some dude at the local branch and it looks like he found a paper copy of the form and scanned it in and emailed it.

the very helpful lady i got it from in time to file was a higher up banker at the corporation, and she had me use a docusign sort of system to access it. she told me what the password for the form would be over the phone. i think the only ID verification i gave her was my name and birthday.

i don't think anyone can steal my money with a statement of investment income. but like still. seriously

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 19, 2024

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Elder Postsman posted:

so how do they get customer lists? do they need to get leaked or is that something that's easy to figure out?

i think there was a leak? I know CUs sort of all talk to each other and share a lot of resources so it seems likely.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Elder Postsman posted:

i mean every time you buy something with your local credit union's debit card there is an unsecured record of your name and the fact that you use that bank

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

oooh. yeah. i vaguely remember seeing this https://www.scmagazine.com/brief/over-3m-us-credit-union-service-records-exposed-by-database-misconfiguration

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

letting computers talk to each other was definitely a mistake

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Unsecured PII?? I've got a much uglier term for that sir: a database misconfiguration!!!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Elder Postsman posted:

im sayin

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Elder Postsman posted:

so say we all.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Elder Postsman posted:

computers ... definitely a mistake

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i'm sure targeted advertising allows them to figure out who uses what bank from data brokers

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Elder Postsman posted:

ehh it was fine up until like 2008 or so

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

mystes posted:

Does dog club mean like an organization that runs dog shows or something else in this context?

A gentlemen's club for dogs?

sounds like an illegal high stakes dogfighting operation to me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

Unsecured PII?? I've got a much uglier term for that sir: a database misconfiguration!!!

database? i don't remember configuring a database...

- sir, that's a check for your "debasement"

ah, yes. that's very important

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Elder Postsman posted:

:yeah:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Elder Postsman posted:

commander adama was right all along

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
full time connections are bad. i think store and forward and periodic-sync stuff was ok. this is why Palm devices whipped and why i loved QWK packets. You'd dial in, post your replies, get the new ones, and hang up. sometimes i'd be really bored and dial in an hour later to see what was poppin and there were like 2 messages and it made me feel like an obsessive loser and i'd walk away from the computer - voluntarily! - and go ride my bike or play with my ham radio or w/e.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Jonny 290 posted:

i'd walk away from the computer - voluntarily!

what the gently caress

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

mystes posted:

Does dog club mean like an organization that runs dog shows or something else in this context?

Like the 2000 movie Best In Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94y9n9lNy2Y

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

mystes posted:

no they meant to say dogging club

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

CQS: How is Ansible and is it a good skill to have?

hope you like writing a lot of yaml op

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

raw doggin club

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

commander adama was right all along

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Roosevelt posted:

sounds like an illegal high stakes dogfighting operation to me

It is extremely legal because it is boring and it is a rich people special interest.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Eeyo posted:

no they meant to say dogging club

That's the parent org from Old England. Split off centuries ago, but you can still see the lineage

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

KirbyKhan posted:

It is extremely legal because it is boring and it is a rich people special interest.

do you get to meet the dogs?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sagebrush posted:

:canada:

i don't think there is a way to get it online. this email is from some dude at the local branch and it looks like he found a paper copy of the form and scanned it in and emailed it.

the very helpful lady i got it from in time to file was a higher up banker at the corporation, and she had me use a docusign sort of system to access it. she told me what the password for the form would be over the phone. i think the only ID verification i gave her was my name and birthday.

i don't think anyone can steal my money with a statement of investment income. but like still. seriously

I kinda like that the Hawaii Department of Labor Unemployment Withholding website portal only lets you log on during Hawaii business hours. Like it's inconvenient sure, but it is also whimsical.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Roosevelt posted:

do you get to meet the dogs?

I dunno, that's my second prepared question. I hope I get to pioneer using a dog's paw print as a 2FA method.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

cjs: oh no the head of one of the dev teams left now there are entirely too many execs asking me questions

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

I dunno, that's my second prepared question. I hope I get to pioneer using a dog's paw print as a 2FA method.

My bark is my passcode. verify me.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

My bark is my passcode. verify me.

i have rear end sniffing verification set up. it's the only secure way

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Who's a good boy?

[ Me ]
[ You ]
[ Other ]

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017