Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

first page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

pis are cool, I have 4 of them in a cluster now

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i had fun with mine for a little bit and then lost interest

I've got monitoring and logging set up and pi-hole with all devices pointing to it, still gotta add cert manager stuff and wireguard then who knows! Probably going to expand it to 8 since I've got the physical room in my server rack for it then go from there

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Going to host my personal git repos at least. And webdav for Omnifocus. Maybe a plex server for woodworking and other howto videos I have so they're not just sitting on my laptop

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Ol' Musky seems to be melting down lately, maybe there's hope for a decent Meltdown May harvest after all

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I've started a list of places in oregon to roadtrip to once Heinrich is healthy and running again (just need to finish fixing some surface rust under the battery tray and put in a new battery and it should be fine)

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

All without interstates of course.

High on the list is bopping down to Mt Angel for Oregon's biggest Oktoberfest and staying in a small quaint town nearby. It's all farmland and covered bridges down there

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Roosevelt posted:

sometimes i think i'm going to do this but looking at a 6 hour drive turning into 10 usually restores my senses

My dad and I once took a trip from DFW to Boston via Ashland and Buffalo and managed to avoid interstates for most of the second day, it was super nice.

Main two things I've got going are that these are places and things I either haven't seen in years or at all so the journey itself will be nice, *and* I'm not sure my car can even reach the prevailing speeds on the interstate.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

We now have an extra Monthly Team Meeting because the gooberiest teammate demanded it but it just happened yesterday and she didn't show up until it was almost over lol. Said she didn't get an alert but that's a crock of poo poo she just wasn't paying attention.

We told her we'd already wrapped up so she wanted us to go over everything again but I left the meeting I don't have time for that loving crap

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Roosevelt posted:

i would really like to take a train trip out to chicago or the northwest sometime just for the ride

Chicago is cool for trains. There's a suuuper long Amtrak line that goes from Chicago to DC via West Virginia and it goes along the New River Gorge it's awesome if you've got the endurance for it

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I've yet to take the Empire Builder train from here to Chicago but it's on the list, supposed to be the most comfortable long-haul line that Amtrak has. Got double-decker cars with viewing windows for when you go through the rockies and skirt along Glacier National Park

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

i always yay when i walk through union station in downtown denver and the big rear end California Zephyr amtrak is there. it's so big! i'd like to take a trip on it some day.

I used to live right by the steel bridge where the train line goes over the Willamette, it was fun to see the Coast Starlight come in from SF. It's always several hours late because of BNSF and you can tell everyone looking out the window is exhausted and *done* lol

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Once took the old Orient Express line from Istanbul back to Munich and at that point (2007, it only lasted a few years more iirc) it was just a single sleeper car that made the whole journey. Old stock from East Germany, real rickety but was a nice trip anyway.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

cjs: doing a mandatory training on protecting SAP's Intellectual Property, as if it were a real and worthwhile concept

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

On the plus side the narrator of the videos has a delightful Irish lilt

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

For dealing with Company X, a hypothetical competitor:

quote:

You can read the public parts of the Company X website, but you cannot download any free demo versions or create any user account without the authorization of the appropriate SAP approval channels.

If Jeff pivots SA into the business software industry I'll have to delete my account and sign off forever, r.i.p.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Cities are cool, it's where all the stuff is

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

One of my fav tourist interaction moments was when I was on vacation in Buenos Aires and a clearly lost couple came up to me and asked me in brazilian portuguese where some museum was. It was fun because apparently I looked the part to them and my language skills had gotten good enough that I understood what they said, but unfortunately for them I had no clue where it was

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

That was 12 years ago and now if a Brazilian asked me a simple question I'd struggle, r.i.p. those skills

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

quarantinethepast posted:

But at some point you were able to speak French and Spanish/Portuguese?

Never been able to speak French beyond tourist phrases but at points in my life I've been called "conversational" for german and portuguese. Like B1 level

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Florida shouldn’t have a hockey team, poo poo’s stupid. Someone tell them I said to knock it off and fold the franchise

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

YOSPOS name idea: Craig Override

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

ngl I’m pretty proud of that one lol

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I use emacs with that there lsp-java, it's nice. Java famously has it's own vm so no need to dockerize the whole dev env. We still build a docker image for it since we use kubernetes and still have a nice docker-compose setup for goobers who got taught wrong and are scared of their own machines.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

One of the best dev envs I've had was a few jobs ago, everyone had their repos on remote dev machines and web servers set up such that any checkout suvdir in your main work directory would be served by <subdir--name>.<short-username>.company.local and you didn't have ro worry about reloading on code changes or anything. Using git-worktree with it was super nice, just a simple command and you had your branch checked out and served up so integration tests and QA or whatever could do their thing.

Also meant that any day when we lost the connection to the colo across town where the dev machines lived was a free day and everyone got to go home

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

The day I stop programming is the day I fall over dead, love it. Love that society says it's worth money and gives it to me

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

My job is stupid and I resent that but I "work" a few hours a day and get paid a silly amount of money for it. Thinking of taking another fake sick day today, not like they can do anything about it

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

My foster dog gets me up around sunrise (about 5:30 today) by putting his big slobbery face right up to mine and waiting

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I want to get a cushy job downtown, I like downtown

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

A hedge fund has a fully remote job posting labeled as in Portland with a salary band of $250k-$650k, if I were to sell my soul I'm pretty sure the price it'd go for is in there somewhere

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

You could try fostering animals.

Last time I worked in an entirely empty office and got crushing loneliness I wound up moving to california, can't say I recommend it

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

dioxazine posted:

i've been musing about selling and moving into cascadia. to be honest, it might just be better to throw in the towel altogether and leave north america but it's a little hard finding NA figgies that are willing to let me work from taiwan or thailand

I've got an old colleague that just hops the globe constantly and works remote, currently in Thailand. Not exactly legal I don't think

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I think he's got Miami as his home base

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

nudgenudgetilt posted:

used to work for a startup that embraced remote really heavily. every single american doing the international nomad thing did so illegally on tourist visas. fairly certain at least one got a kickban from a southern european country over it.

Guy I mentioned is a German national and doesn't have any debt or anything and specializes in mobile dev. I think he works for a bit and saves then fucks off for a while to cheap places without actually working

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Suzhou's on my list of places to visit in China someday. Wanna see those canals and gardens

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

cls: got my car in the garage to start diagnosing some transmission vacuum issues and it turns out my particular model has the vacuum modulator on the passenger side of the transmission instead of the driver's side like every other goddamn one. Not off to a great start!

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Think I'll save up for a manual transmission swap at some point

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Raluek posted:

are there any decent manuals for mercs? I thought I remembered reading that none of them were any good

you sure you got enough fluid in there? your description in the weekend thread sounded like not. bad vacuum modulator usually manifests as really late shifts iirc

From what I've read about manual swaps not a single person who's done it has regretted it. Not sure I have enough fluid in the transmission and not having enough would explain a lot, but it's also bone dry down there so I don't see any leaks. In order to properly test the fluid level I gotta drive around a bit though so I figured I'd see if it was something silly like the vacuum line to the modulator fell off beforehand, it holds no vacuum at all as if it's not even there.

Gonna do some engine health stuff before driving it too, might as well get some easy wins in.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

On the docket:

* valve adjustment
* compression test
* individual injector tests
* diesel purge
* throttle linkage revamp
* VCV test to make sure it bleeds vaccum at the right level and the right rate
* switchover vacuum valve inspection and possible overhaul
* some cleaning and detailing to make the engine bay nice and purdy

Going to take it to a shop down the road to get new motor mounts as well. I have the parts coming but the way my garage floor slopes on one side I don't think I'm comfortable attempting it myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

cjs: made a doc a while ago about setting up kubectl for one of our projects that says "add these entries to your .aws/config file exactly as shown" and am currently fielding a question from a teammate saying "I'm following the doc but getting 403s, what do I do to fix it?"

"Did you copy it exactly as shown?"

"No I changed the AWS account numbers"

:thumbsup: