Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspekt Device
Jan 9, 2017

Like, even if the article sucked wouldn't it be a good thing? At this point I don't think expectations are all that high. How has this not happened in two years? Just asking questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
They're working on the software that manages the front page. While there's working on a bunch of other things. That is why it hasn't been updated. (Although if they really wanted to they could find a way to post stuff)

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i gotcha OP

Suspekt Device
Jan 9, 2017

Ok cool.

Suspekt Device fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 18, 2022

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
OP get private messages so i can send you secret links

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Schweinhund posted:

They're working on the software that manages the front page. While there's working on a bunch of other things. That is why it hasn't been updated. (Although if they really wanted to they could find a way to post stuff)

They've sure been working on it a long time.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

gently caress, I'd be happy if the old articles weren't all busted

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Maybe it would be nice if they just rotated random old articles? "Hey remember when we cared about x?"

I always really enjoyed the frontpage content even if it was hit or miss. It's a shame Malt Schlitzmann yelling at his younger self has gotten the most web real estate

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

je1 healthcare posted:

Maybe it would be nice if they just rotated random old articles? "Hey remember when we cared about x?"

I think this is a great idea, find some old highlights, start rotating through them.

Right now there's a lot of pressure on whatever might get posted next (to be funny, or even to establish some kind of new SA comedy tone), and then follow-up pressure to "have new posts regularly" once you start. Those concerns sound corny/earnest on a dead comedy website and blah, blah, blah... but it's kind of true.

A "hits show" rotation would take the edge off a bit. Get people back in the habit of checking the front page sometimes. Then start mixing in new content as it comes available.

Or, if the new stuff doesn't come, you just post that one "Let's play/draw" game... 1842? The one in the arctic with all the beans and Stone Cold and the Aztec Bird God? I don't know details because I tragically can't find it. But yeah, you just post that as a new article every week forever.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
could throw in some highlighted threads as well to mix it up

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Dr David Thorpe, Josh livestock boruff, zach parsons. They did the "fashion swat" articles right? And the d&d type absurd adventures?

Where'd they all end up? Did they free themselves from the internet?

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

Only Gallagher can save us now.

BRJurgis posted:

Dr David Thorpe, Josh livestock boruff, zach parsons. They did the "fashion swat" articles right? And the d&d type absurd adventures?

Where'd they all end up? Did they free themselves from the internet?

Zach and Steve continued putting out articles similar to what they did on Something Awful (including a continuation of the 90s Lovecraft roleplaying adventures) on https://www.thebadguyswin.com/. I followed that site pretty closely for awhile, then they just stopped publishing anything in 2018.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If absolutely no effort is ever going to be put into making it a functioning site again, then just make the homepage jump straight to the forums homepage.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Zach announced on Facebook that he left Somethingawful in early 2020, I think just before covid hit, which is either great or terrible foresight. I'm sure he wouldn't have wanted it but I feel like he would have been a logical choice to take over after Lowtax as the last of the most prominent and outward-facing big names.

It seems like he's still occasionally active on Twitter but I don't know if he's actually up to anything on the internet. I do wish he would publish more fiction eventually. Liminal States was very good.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

If absolutely no effort is ever going to be put into making it a functioning site again, then just make the homepage jump straight to the forums homepage.

Seriously. I know "dead forums" is a bit here but it was a bit shocking to hear on two different fairly big podcasts recently the hosts state as a matter of fact that SA died with Lowtax.

Suspekt Device
Jan 9, 2017

Is there like, not even a lame beta article that could be posted to showcase how far standards have fallen for whatever the main site is now?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Suspekt Device posted:

Is there like, not even a lame beta article that could be posted to showcase how far standards have fallen for whatever the main site is now?

I've sent in samples when there were calls for frontpage writers three different times after being nudged to do so by Thunderdome writers (haha), and ironically Lowtax was the only one who ever bothered to reply (hahaha). I'd enjoy taking a crack at the efforts on the frontpage but would be a fool to do so without something in writing re: compensation

Trillaphon
Jul 18, 2006

Suspekt Device posted:

Like, even if the article sucked wouldn't it be a good thing? At this point I don't think expectations are all that high. How has this not happened in two years? Just asking questions.

Oh it's been tried - we pretty much thought the exact same thing, for what it's worth (what's the conversion rate for abject worthlessness these days again?) Long story short: trying to bail out the frontpage of this site is like trying to get laid with full-body Yakuza tattoos of Mac & Me while a crippled kid with cancer follows you around on a Rascal playing all-rape-whistle covers of Dave Matthews Band songs. No one should ever attempt it, and if they do, the end result can only be screaming.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

I tried to write a front page article but a week later I just had a hundred typewritten pages filled with "i'm gay."

Suspekt Device
Jan 9, 2017

Trillaphon posted:

Oh it's been tried - we pretty much thought the exact same thing, for what it's worth (what's the conversion rate for abject worthlessness these days again?) Long story short: trying to bail out the frontpage of this site is like trying to get laid with full-body Yakuza tattoos of Mac & Me while a crippled kid with cancer follows you around on a Rascal playing all-rape-whistle covers of Dave Matthews Band songs. No one should ever attempt it, and if they do, the end result can only be screaming.

Suspekt Device fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 26, 2022

Trillaphon
Jul 18, 2006

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I added two threads to the new Something Awful Discussion subforum. Anybody interested in what's happening to the Front Page please check out:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4025215
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4025226

Edit- and a third:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4025287

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 25, 2023

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
bump

Suspekt Device
Jan 9, 2017

Where does one even send in lame articles for consideration to be thrown into the void?

Suspekt Device fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 17, 2023

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Maybe a redirect to https://petergreenberg.com/ seems to be fresh content there we can leech

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

nothing would be a good thing all effort is lame

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Flash tub owned despite shmorkys degeneracy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah. The Flash Tub was my favorite thing on the internet for the entirety of its existence. Sadly a lot of them are lost now.

Suspekt Device
Jan 9, 2017

Yeah ok so it's never happening and that's super sad. So what's up with the 2023 comedy website scene? Is there anywhere to go to get 2000-2016 era SA frontpage type content?

Suspekt Device fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 27, 2023

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Suspekt Device posted:

Yeah ok so it's never happening and that's super sad. So what's up with the 2023 comedy website scene? Is there anywhere to go to get a 2000-2016 era SA frontpage type fix? And I'm not talking about Ariel or Times New Roman.

Was there an announcement or something, or did you just give up hope (welcome home!)?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Suspekt Device posted:

Yeah ok so it's never happening and that's super sad. So what's up with the 2023 comedy website scene? Is there anywhere to go to get 2000-2016 era SA frontpage type content?

Clickhole sometimes feels similar.

Suspekt Device
Jan 9, 2017

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Was there an announcement or something, or did you just give up hope (welcome home!)?

Nah no announcement or inside knowledge, just total hope abandonment.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

Suspekt Device posted:

Seanbaby works at https://1900hotdog.com now, and that site has a similar vibe. Much of it is behind a Patreon wall, though.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
if folks are bored i could use some readers for my screenplays

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I tried Phiz.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023
I do think it would be good if there were new front page articles. As it stands now the site looks dead even though there is a lot of activity on the forums.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

https://forums.somethingawful.com leads to the forums now so the site doesn't look dead

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Is there another link to the frontpage somewhere or do I have to type the url each time?

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Forgot to mention, I manually type out the url of every website I regularly visit

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm not an expert on web design but I don't think having somethingawful.com lead directly to the forums is probably good for attracting new members or making people think the website is doing well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm not an expert on web design but I don't think having somethingawful.com lead directly to the forums is probably good for attracting new members or making people think the website is doing well.

A front page with a "pardon our dust" sign from July 2020 and a bunch of broken links is better than seeing forums that are actually active?