Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ozmunkeh posted:

how can you post this without the incredible sitcom intro they released to mark the occasion: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11kfbc

THANK YOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

TyrantWD posted:

We have 1 DM, who is not even a DM for the forseeable future, and stopped our pursuit of a winger to sign another midfielder, then failed to sign the midfielder, and ended up with no winger either.

The quality of the squad is good, but it is far too small to handle the fixture list we have. It is also needlessly small, since we did loaned out Pepe thinking we would sign a winger, then didn't.

Yeah this is a nice meltdown.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Done deal and a cool finger move.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1565444466604908548

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

From getting an STD in a gangbang and missing two weeks, to getting baptized by Allison.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The transfer window has slammed shut, mods please lock the thread.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

TyrantWD posted:

Without another CM coming in, I think top 4 is gone. We would be forced to play Sambi twice a week until the World Cup.

They'll play Ben White there I reckon. It'll be ok.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

blue footed boobie posted:

Yeah this is a nice meltdown.

It's not really a meltdown they're valid concerns. Arsenal's depth is woeful. You may have brought in players but you've also let players leave, it's not like you've relegated first teamers from last season to squad rotation. Last season you had your hands on 4th with games in hand twice iirc, and without European games to worry about still didn't manage it. Now there's no improvement in depth and you've got Thursday/Sundays coming up with the Europa League as well as the League Cup fixtures starting up, in a season that's going to have a stupid schedule anyway because of the world cup.

The good league start against relegation fodder and lower mid table teams has helped throw a towel over the fact that Arsenal could end up in trouble come Christmas.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

It's not really a meltdown they're valid concerns. Arsenal's depth is woeful. You may have brought in players but you've also let players leave, it's not like you've relegated first teamers from last season to squad rotation. Last season you had your hands on 4th with games in hand twice iirc, and without European games to worry about still didn't manage it. Now there's no improvement in depth and you've got Thursday/Sundays coming up with the Europa League as well as the League Cup fixtures starting up, in a season that's going to have a stupid schedule anyway because of the world cup.

The good league start against relegation fodder and lower mid table teams has helped throw a towel over the fact that Arsenal could end up in trouble come Christmas.

They have plenty of depth to rotate players. This take sucks. Another winger would have been nice and yes they do need another Central midfielder but it didn't happen. They will make due.

They let players go that they weren't even using at all last time around except for lacazette so I don't get your point at all.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

I do see where you're coming from and absolutely another cm should've come in at a minimum, but you're also ignoring that having players like Tavares, Cedric, Lacazette, and Pepe as your depth isn't some amazing thing. Something like Jesus, Tierney, and Tomiyasu as first choice, to be backed up by Nketiah, Zinchenko, and White, is an immense improvement from last season. Depth in terms of number of bodies may not be better, depth in terms of quality is a huge improvement. Any youngster left back or center forward can fulfill the depth that Tavares and Lacazette filled lol.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
This time, this time Arsenal will be different. Forget the last 18 years of dreck. This year it will all come together.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

hadji murad posted:

This time, this time Arsenal will be different. Forget the last 18 years of dreck. This year it will all come together.

gently caress off 18 years. We went unbeaten in...

Oh gently caress. I'm old.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

hadji murad posted:

Stfu

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Was Messi crying and saying leaving Barca worse the worst day of his life before his big psg unveiling on deadline day? That should be up there too.

Probably. It also resulted in one of my favorite football memes of the past couple of years.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

sticksy posted:

Probably. It also resulted in one of my favorite football memes of the past couple of years.

His playing career then died of heartbreak. :rip:

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I feel like the only position with poor depth is the striker. There's Jesus, then Nketiah, and then it's either hoping a winger can slot in there or shoving in academy fodder no one has heard of. But it's not like you can convince a quality striker to be fighting with Nketiah for the back up spot. Same goes for the majority of the positions in this squad.

I think there is an appreciable drop in quality if one of Jesus, Odegaard, or Ramsdale get injured. Nketiah is decent and Smith Rowe is good, but they are nowhere near the quality of either starter and I think that's when the results will dip. I think the American keeper is probably bad, but that's based on the little I saw in preseason which is not really fair.

CM feels okay with Xhaka, Elneny, Lokonga, Zinchenko, and Nelson in a pinch (excluding Partey cause who knows what happens in October). That midfield isn't winning any trophies, but it's not much worse than the other midfields competing for 4th. And worst case scenario, the club will be forced to buy someone in January.

Outside of that, there's a lot of dependency on the versatility of players like Smith Rowe, Vieira (who we haven't seen anything from), Reiss Nelson (who has future Everton player stamped all over him), and Zinchenko. Which isn't good but Arsenal aren't attractive enough for good players to want to fight for positions like they would for Man City.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Martinelli can play striker if called upon, I have no big doubts.

Exactly... Arsenal aren't Man City and are years away from coming close to those heights if they do mostly right from now on... Anyone seriously talking about Arsenal competing for the title is diluted. They will however compete for top 4 and likely get it in my eyes. Spurs are being talked too highly of and have looked pretty lovely, Chelsea look lost as gently caress, United have stopped the bleeding but still tons of question marks, and Liverpool also look an a major injury or two away from full on crisis.

I like the approach to not buy for the sake of buying from panicking, and instead trusting what you have will do well as long as you have a bit of luck with injuries, and making the moves when they seem right. Even if Arsenal create an amazing squad in the coming years who knows how long it will last, they clearly won't be paying the wages the biggest clubs will offer or paying the highest transfer fees so you have to be hyper aware of smart purchases and have some luck fall your way instead of throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Just talking about CM alone Elneny is injured possible for a couple months, we're playing well with Zinchenko at left back and having him there rather than getting moved to midfield and putting Tierney there when he's looked kind of poor and you don't know how well Zinchenko will perform as a cm in this team is not ideal and Lokonga is still a very rough talent. All it will take is to lose a couple of midfielder to injuries and our midfield starts to look really poor. Fast forward a few months or so and those extra games will really start to take its toll on the squad, and I worry we get to Jan and once again they'll be reluctant to sign depth.

There's no way you can say a starting midfield of Lokonga, Xhaka and Elneny for example if other players are injured or absent is good enough for a top 4 team. But if you have Luiz or Tielemens in for Lokonga for example and I think that really boosts the quality of that midfield.

Also another winger would have been great. I don't want us to burn out Saka, ESR hasn't looked convincing for a while, Vieira god knows what he'll be like and people have said put Jesus on the wing and put Nketiah up front but I still am not sold on Nketiah being anything but a bench player and Jesus is fantastic up top. Which comes to the issue of not buying depth, you end up pulling players from their natural positions they're excelling at (people saying we can move Zinchenko to cm when he's doing fantastic at left back) and then very possibly ruining the run of form that player and therefore the team is on. I do think with our history of injuries and the amount of games we have our lack of depth is going to cost us.

Melo has been heavily linked to Arsenal over the years and he would have been a perfect player to just fill in the cm gaps when needed. Especially if it was a loan like Liverpool secured.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Agree up front is the weakest but Eddie has looked really good the last two games when he's come across the bench. There's tons of flexibility across the front and in terms of extra attacking threats (ESR) so I don't think it's a fire situation.

I'd have liked to have seen a DM because of the Partey situation but xhaka is looking incredible, elneny is fine and there's lots of possibilities such as zirchenko, white, ødegard dropping deep to cover injuries.

Arsenal will easily finish top 3 imo.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Arsenal will rotate for the Europa League as we expect. They can bring in a good player or two in January if needed.

They may have a big meltdown and all, but they already seem so much better in the last two seasons than they ever were once they fell out of the Champions League.

Whining about squad players when they're 5 games in and perfect, and all the doom and gloom narrative can get hosed for now.

T Bowl fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 2, 2022

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Vinestalk posted:

I feel like the only position with poor depth is the striker. There's Jesus, then Nketiah, and then it's either hoping a winger can slot in there or shoving in academy fodder no one has heard of. But it's not like you can convince a quality striker to be fighting with Nketiah for the back up spot. Same goes for the majority of the positions in this squad.

I think there is an appreciable drop in quality if one of Jesus, Odegaard, or Ramsdale get injured. Nketiah is decent and Smith Rowe is good, but they are nowhere near the quality of either starter and I think that's when the results will dip. I think the American keeper is probably bad, but that's based on the little I saw in preseason which is not really fair.

Are these not problems faced by everyone, except possibly City? Which teams that play with 1 striker have a quality 3rd option? Who isn't going to struggle if their playmaking midfielder is injured?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
To your first questions, that's exactly my point. Ninpo raised doubts about the depth of the Arsenal squad, and the weakest spot is one where more depth isn't feasible unless we're talking about the richest and most attractive team in the world.

To your other question, I think the loss of Odegaard to Arsenal is more impactful than the absence of a good playmaking midfielder for Tottenham or Alacantra's injury for Liverpool. The rest of their attacking players are good enough to get goals without someone pulling every string. I would agree that Bruno being out from United would be devastating too, but with United it's hard to judge since you never know which United will show up on a given day. The larger point is Arsenal are probably too reliant on Odegaard with, imo, a substitute that can't pick out the same passes or unlock defenses like Odegaard can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Frankston posted:

The transfer window has slammed shut, mods please lock the thread.

Done. see you in Jan everyone