Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just imagine the shitshow if they had not qualified for the champion’s league. They’re lucky that those spots aren’t as competitive as they are in the English league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Eriksen is still plenty good and I’m surprised it isn’t Arsenal or Spurs that’s signing him up. He’d slot right in even as a rotation option.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Even with Jesus I imagine Nketiah getting a good number of games. He had a decent run of form at the end of the season. And this is as much about using him as selling him — he’s a young English striker with PL experience and would go for a good chunk of change.

The alternative was to pay, what, £40m for some other hot prospect. This was the right decision.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This has big Guy Goma energy

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Who else is gonna pay him that much though lol. Madrid or City, maybe. No one else has that kind of money. And that’s not even including the transfer fee.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s a solid fit for Arsenal. At least he, unlike Lacazette, works pretty hard and could play across the front three. He’s got enough experience at the right level, is young enough and isn’t too expensive. Plus he’s not such a marquee signing that makes him impossible to drop. Nketiah should still get a good chunk of games. Good piece of business.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

On Lacazette, I’m conflating inefficacy with lack of effort. He did work hard — by dropping very deep, He wasn’t remotely fast enough to get back in the box and it gave this impression of him being missing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They both seem too good to be returning to South America already.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lmao arsenal fans were so sure it was gonna happen. Chelsea snuck right in for this one.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I was just thinking of how many world-class strikers Chelsea has ruined lol

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bacon Terrorist posted:

It's a good deal for Liverpool keeping him don't get me wrong but he has rinsed the club and facilitated another star leaving, all for cash. The club and the player got what they wanted but I reserve the right to lol everytime someone tells me how much he loves Liverpool etc going forward.
What does he have to do with Mane’s departure

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Barca are apparently about to gazump Chelsea with a €60m bid for Raphina lol

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You missed the operative tweet.

https://twitter.com/reshadrahman_/status/1543299080411021321

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You’d expect a club like Barca to be able to weather these things just through the strength of their youth system but of course they’re splashing money on speed merchants from Leeds and trying to screw their best players out of an honest wage.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’ll read a goon-summarized football financial report anytime. Our very own Swiss Ramble.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Presumably he prefers to be paid what he’s owned and then still get to gently caress off to a club that’ll pay him more money.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I totally forgot that Barca still has Auba, albeit on somewhat reasonable wages (€95k a week if reports are right). A frontline of him and Lewandowski does seem pretty formidable.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He’ll likely play central midfield the most, rotating with Xhaka or replacing Partey. All the other central midfielders are real bad.

But his flexibility at left back is massive because of how frequently injured Tierney is. I think he’ll be a terrific signing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lingard seems… better than Nottingham Forest. What happened here

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I mean Lewandowski is absolutely gonna continue being a goal machine for at least another two years, so I don’t think pulling out all stops to register him is that bad or shortsighted an idea.

It’s the other signings that make little sense to me. Do they really need a Raphinha more than they need De Jong? What’s Kessie to them that they’re willing to forgo future TV revenues?

That said if they win La Liga next season they’re almost definitely going to be a-okay afaik, so maybe we’ll all just have eggs on our face then.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

De Jong probably makes more money by going to United. It’s big galaxy brain game theory. My guess is the optimal outcome for De Jong involves forgoing at least part of that unpaid salary.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

PSG would be incredible just as a football fan. Ronaldo, Messi, Mbappe and Neymar. But it’s not happening.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Now imagine American commentators trying to pronounce that name.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Fabrizio Romano is always making those photoshops for his dumb announcement tweets. I think he did it for Zinchenko to Arsenal too. That said his news has been pretty solid so far.

I think Brighton just doesn’t want to announce it yet in case someone wants to come along and throw more money at them.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’ve never heard of this dude. 44.5m wtf lol

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He’d be a major improvement on the current midfield though. It’s crazy money but what isn’t these days?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Who will Madrid play instead of Casemiro? Do they have a defensive midfielder type already?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I remember Bailly looking like a great purchase in his first few games. I hardly follow United but it seems like they just failed to develop the talent they have.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

webmeister posted:

Their scouting department hasn't upgraded from FM2018, so they're just gradually accumulating Real's champions league winning team

Looking forward to them next signing Kroos, Modric and Carvajal
They would be challenging for the title with those three tbh

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Arsenal squad doesn’t nearly have enough depth to last through December imo. They’re gonna end up having to play Lokonga in midfield and it’s gonna torpedo their season.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think he got eviscerated in one of the World Cup/Euro games a while back but he’s supposed to be great. It’s super hard to find talented full-backs/wing-backs and they’re such a core part of the modern game that the price seems pretty fair tbh.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

tristeham posted:

gvardiol is a center back
He played left back for Croatia in Euro 2020 :shrug: But yeah he plays center back for Leipzig.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Willian’s only job is Pass It To Mitrovic. I think he’ll be fine.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Leicester has signed a player called Wout Faes.

https://www.lcfc.com/news/2773512/leicester-city-sign-wout-faes-from-reims

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Arsenal and Suarez’s £40m release clause that Liverpool just outright ignored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Xhaka got better over the past season and Zinchenko can play midfield. I don’t think Vieira will ever play either of the deeper midfield positions; I think he’ll end up in Odegaard and Saka’s positions. That said it’s shambolic they’re relying on Partey at all. The team’s as good as it’s been in a decade maybe but man is it a gloomy loving situation.