Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

T Bowl posted:

I thought Arsenal wanted him? With the Neto deal now not likely to happen.. I wonder why they didn't get this guy.

We need a winger to rotate with Saka, and a defensive midfielder/CM who can play at the base of midfield when Partey is unavailable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

UnderFreddy posted:

club needs to have two players for each position. ESR is an option at 8 or LW, Vieira is mostly an unknown but seems like an 8. Zinchenko is being used primarily at left back.

Signing an actual right winger will be needed. One we trust to play instead of Saka (i.e not Pepe). No idea who that is gonna be though lol, except Neto
I don't see us signing anyone. We need a winger ready to start next week's Europa League game, but those sorts of players are probably outside our price range. Throw in the hesitation to commit what is left of our transfer funds at a wide player when a DM may be sorely needed, and I can see the club being torn between two priorities with only 48 hours to go, without enough money to make a good signing for either one, so we say gently caress it and try to make do with the squad we have.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

UnderFreddy posted:

idk, I think a winger is sorely needed. Club can't really expect Saka to play 10 games a month. It's not a nice to have it's a necessity

I think we will go with Vieira/Marquinhos/ESR at RW. We really did need a proper rotational option, especially when we let Pepe go, but I think we underestimated Wolves' resolve to keep Neto. Maybe Mendes made it seem like he would be able to sort out something, and then he couldn't. I know we are linked with that Ukrainian wide player, but I doubt he is ready to come in and contribute immediately, and that probably changes the calculus now that we need to look for a CM/DM.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Just Chamber posted:

Really hope Arsenal do some business in the next few hours and get another CM in. Part of what I think helped scupper our top 4 finish last season was not getting in another striker in the Jan window to replace Aubameyang and it's worth giving 30m or whatever Villa wants if it means we get a decent CM that doesnt leave us short in the middle with all these injuries and with the amount of games we'll be playing.

Without another CM coming in, I think top 4 is gone. We would be forced to play Sambi twice a week until the World Cup.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Arsenal's recruitment as shambolic as I predicted. Stop the winger search because you need a midfielder, fail to land a midfielder anyway, end up with nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

How can you call it shambolic when the team is the best it's been for over a decade?

Who do you want who's going to be happy to be backup to saka and martinelli?

We have 1 DM, who is not even a DM for the forseeable future, and stopped our pursuit of a winger to sign another midfielder, then failed to sign the midfielder, and ended up with no winger either.

The quality of the squad is good, but it is far too small to handle the fixture list we have. It is also needlessly small, since we did loaned out Pepe thinking we would sign a winger, then didn't.