Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
posted this in the PL thread already but Origi's contract is expiring and he's headed for Milan, it isn't bold yet but I wish him well wherever he ends up and he will always have a place in my heart for the incredible goals he scored in big moments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
A Ronaldo or a Januzaj

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mickolution posted:

It was in the Weekend Web thread, I think. So none of us, thankfully.

My memory tells me it was FLJ expressing his own thought that United needed "a Ronaldo or a Januzaj" to run in behind other teams' defences

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

That's not a lot for Mane but he's out of contract next year so yeah. I've been expecting us to lose either him or Salah (or maybe both) this summer but it will still be disappointing to actually see one or both of them leave

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheRat posted:

What's happening with Firmino? Is he injured or just benched?

He was out of form and fell down the pecking order as a result because both Jota and Diaz were in great form when they first signed for us. I think there were some minor injuries along the way as well, the kind of thing that would keep him out for a couple weeks and make it harder to get a good run of form going, which meant he stayed on the bench once fit again because whoever had deputized for him was playing lights out. With Mane and backups like Origi leaving (Minamino leaving also wouldn't surprise me) he'll probably play more again next season.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Supposedly Liverpool are looking at signing Darwin Nunez from Benfica as a Mane replacement, but he'll cost like 85 million pounds

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lol you would think players' agents would be wise to all this by now but somehow it keeps happening

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Can't help but wonder if this is just Man U doing that thing where they feign interest in big names who don't want to sign for them to appease the fans when they get rowdy.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Eric Cantonese posted:

Are these Delaps related or do they just look alike?

It's Rory's son

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Chelsea signed Cesare Cassadei from Inter for £12m

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Bastian Schweinsteiger was 30 when he signed for Manchester United

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

I still measure all my transfers in andy carrolls

I remember when 24m for Didier Drogba was considered so outlandish that big transfers who weren't immediate successes were measured in Drogbas

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

A 4231 separates the midfield into a deeper lying double pivot and a higher positioned 10, the idea being you provide more cover for your defence while having more options on the counter attack from your own third. Normally a 4-3-3 inverts this with maybe just one deeper lying midfielder as cover/playmaker. A 4-3-3 in Klopp's setup has a more functional midfield and plays higher up the pitch, pressing from the front. A Klopp midfield's chief job is to cover and recover, with creativity coming from the full backs and front three. While there's not much glamour in a typical Klopp midfield (The addition of Thiago not withstanding), it's quite vital in sustaining the press and pace associated with Liverpool's style of play. If the midfield hasn't got the energy/legs to do its job, the rest of the system falls apart due to defensive gaps and attackers being isolated.

A good post. When our Klopp midfield has worked in recent years, it was usually with one dedicated defensive midfielder sitting in front of the back four, playing almost like a centre back in a back three at times, which let both fullbacks get forward to help with the attack (and even sometimes lets centre backs like Matip go up to help out) and which facilitated playing out from the back. Fabinho has been the best at this, but Thiago has also been good at it when not injured. The other two midfielders usually play more like box to box roles with high-energy pressing and linking up with the front three and the fullbacks.

With Fabinho not playing and Thiago injured, that deep-lying role has fallen to Henderson typically, and he's okay at it but he's not as sprightly as he used to be and he's inclined to play further up the pitch which means sometimes there's just a hole where that midfielder should be. These gaps were really apparent against Man U. Without a midfielder linking up with the defence, we had Gomez and Van Dijk just passing the ball back and forth under pressure and not getting it up the pitch, and once the ball did make it into midfield it was often going to Milner, who's too slow to bring the required energy to the box to box role, or to Elliott, who's eager and energetic but who plays like a winger and lacks the skill to execute the press, which meant we got completely overloaded in midfield. With the midfield overloaded there's a lot more pressure on the defence which leads to careless mistakes and dumb goals, and with the midfielders themselves lacking a step on offence it means the attacking play is often a few inches away from where it needs to be and the moves don't link together the way they need to to score goals.

Thiago/Henderson/Fabinho has been a good midfield when they're all fit, which isn't always, and Wijnaldum/Henderson/Fabinho was a phenomenal midfield because Wijnaldum and Henderson a few years ago had the limitless energy to play the box to box roles and at the time Fabinho was in such good form that he was in contention for the best defensive midfielder in the world, which I would not say is the case today.

Basically all to just agree with tbp that if Liverpool aren't prioritizing midfield signings who will bring back the kind of pressure and energy that Kloppball needs then I'll be frustrated.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

they just didn’t want him putting his foot in his mouth

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Man U are apparently taking Dubravka on loan from Newcastle.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

Aren’t ESR, Vieira, and Zinchenko all capable of rotating in that position?

I still get confused every time I see an Arsenal post about Vieira

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sandwolf posted:

mate what the gently caress is an Iqbal

nm what's an Iqbal with you?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lol of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin