Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

Don’t get too excited about investment for Conte or whatever - remember he’s on a free.

I was going to say, he might be plenty good, but getting a 33 year old on a free transfer isnt the strongest evidence they're going to spend a ton lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FullLeatherJacket posted:

for all the talk about Pogba, it should be noted in arsenaldna.txt that Arsenal paid £180m for Lacazette, Aubameyang and Pepe, and ended up selling them for *checks notes* negative ten million pounds

:discourse:

Is there a Pepe transfer to bold?

Anyway, Aubameyang and Lacazette were both good together on arsenal (this is matches they played together, and cause it's kinda confusing, that first "goals" column is goals where one of the two assisted the other)

Failing to sell your poorly performing, out of contract 31 and 33 year old forwards after they did well for the team isn't quite the same lol as letting your youth player go for free, paying €100 million to get him back, having him fail badly, and leave again on a free, but go off if that makes you feel better about pooshited

sourdough fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 9, 2022

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FullLeatherJacket posted:

yeah, actually they were good, that's why we paid them to leave, because of how good they were

furthermore I'm glad we got rid because actually they were terrible, but also good

Ah yeah, I forgot nothing before the 2021-2022 premier league season exists, my bad

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Anyway, the lol at paying £70 million for Pepe is right there and fully deserved

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Saliba at least seems to be bossing it in france, it would be cool if the £30 million multi time young player of the year (or whatever accolades he's gotten there) actually got a shot at arsenal

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Akbar posted:

other other Marquinhos

The best marquinhos. Also he'll probably go out on loan for 2-3 years and never break into the 1st team :negative:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Is he going to replace xhaka or pepe or smith rowe or what? A little confusing to me if he's not able to sit a little deeper in the middle or play on the wings

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Eric Cantonese posted:

I just hope the wage structure hasn't been blown apart with this deal.

Me wage structure!

I hope it has :twisted:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Very happy with it, he's looked good whenever I've seen him play, and it's hard to overstate how big a step down it was from Tierney to Tavares

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Shrapnig posted:

What if I told you Farteta is going to play him in his natural position as an attacking midfielder?

lol, but the talk I saw was he'd play defensive mid too (maybe), which also sounds good

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

I guess the ol ‘gulls have a weird training top, crazy it’s sponsored by another club

That's a photoshop

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Are you saying someone photoshopped a tweet by BH & A?

No the cucurella pic lol, though now I'm having doubts... Here we go is as close to bold as you can get before bold

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

blue footed boobie posted:

That is an absolute ton of money for a 30 year old but United have needed some positive personnel movement in their central midfield for a decade so I can’t blame them.

I get this but also why didn't they spend that money on someone younger, both because then they might be quality for more than another couple years and also they'd probably be on lower wages so they could put more towards the transfer fee? Is casemiro going to be the difference that gets them top 4?

Also I know it's not really comparable, but City getting Haaland for about what United are paying for Casemiro makes me lol heartily

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

greazeball posted:

I'm kinda outraged that any madrid player is on that little but especially one that is so consistent for them, gently caress. well done, nice raise lad

but this also means that cl clause isn't gonna mean poo poo since he just at least doubled his pay packet

"His wages [not double] will put Casemiro among Man Utd highest earners"

Seems like one of those things isn't true, unless 150k or whatever puts him among united's 10-15 highest earners lol

e: or the [not double] means it's more than doubled rather than less :stare: Not double...triple!!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Varane's problem is not being able to string appearances together before breaking into a million pieces, not sure how Casemiro helps there.

Great signing, I don't care what numbers get spent on players, better there than the Glazers loving skimming it. My only issue with the fee is we know there's only a certain amount the club is prepared to spend in any window so this absolutely writes off another decent midfield signing (definitely needed, we need more than one) and puts doubt on resolving the striker problem/getting cover on the wings/doing anything about the fullback problems.

Idk how you can say "great signing" and then the bolded part, doesn't that make it not a great signing

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

"great signing" from the point of view he's a good player still within the peak of his powers and he's absolutely an upgrade in a position we sorely need. It would probably have been more accurate for me to say "great player to sign, but" in hindsight. 60m+ is a good chunk of what we're normally willing to spend in a window with lots of other positions in need but that doesn't negate how much of a vast upgrade Casemiro is on, say, McTominay.

Ah I get you :hai:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

TheRat posted:

Alone? Maybe not. On top of the others? Yes.

Man this is incredibly optimistic lol, I'm still at "cautiously optimistic arsenal won't gently caress up top 4 this season"

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

I'm struggling to see what Chelsea or Arsenal have done so far this season to make me think "welp, guaranteed Europa league at best for us"

He's saying more than that: with all the signings so far, yes United are better than two of arsenal, spurs, chelsea, and even with just casemiro it's a "maybe", not "obviously no." I read it as expecting top 4 for united now, which imo is incredibly optimistic.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Anything can happen of course but arsenal had 11 points on united last season and have turned lacazette, nuno tavares, and rob holding, into jesus, zinchenko, and saliba.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Agreed, but fabio vieira is potentially cover at deeper lying cm as far as I read, and I thought zinchenko was supposed to also be a potential fill in for partey as long as tierney is fit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

It's not really a meltdown they're valid concerns. Arsenal's depth is woeful. You may have brought in players but you've also let players leave, it's not like you've relegated first teamers from last season to squad rotation. Last season you had your hands on 4th with games in hand twice iirc, and without European games to worry about still didn't manage it. Now there's no improvement in depth and you've got Thursday/Sundays coming up with the Europa League as well as the League Cup fixtures starting up, in a season that's going to have a stupid schedule anyway because of the world cup.

The good league start against relegation fodder and lower mid table teams has helped throw a towel over the fact that Arsenal could end up in trouble come Christmas.

I do see where you're coming from and absolutely another cm should've come in at a minimum, but you're also ignoring that having players like Tavares, Cedric, Lacazette, and Pepe as your depth isn't some amazing thing. Something like Jesus, Tierney, and Tomiyasu as first choice, to be backed up by Nketiah, Zinchenko, and White, is an immense improvement from last season. Depth in terms of number of bodies may not be better, depth in terms of quality is a huge improvement. Any youngster left back or center forward can fulfill the depth that Tavares and Lacazette filled lol.