Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Weird, hit double digits every season except the last one?

He was fine. Aubameyang a bought because Arsenal don’t frequently get the opportunity to buy a player of his caliber, and not because of anything to do with Lacazette. The wheels fell off at the end, but strikers don’t really seem to work in Arteta’s system so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Lacazette and Aubameyang are good and great strikers respectively who performed respectively well and fantastically for Arsenal until they mysteriously stopped performing under a first time manager who’s been criticized for looking clueless going forward. The fact that they were unceremoniously chased out of arsenal speaks more to how insane it is that arsenal have decided to bet the club on a manager whose greatest accomplishment is working for pep.

The Pepe transfer was loving mental and seemingly the result of fraud by that Barca dude who joined up, spent all of the club’s money in six months, and then left.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

qirex posted:

Nobody’s been able to explain to me how Arteta’s tactics could make Lacazette miss what felt like dozens of tap-in goals.

Strikers do just miss sitters. It probably doesn’t help that he was dropped and frozen out several times in his tenure or that Arteta’s offensive system seems to be built around getting lots of low quality looks at the goal, but also strikers who aren’t World class finishes just miss sitters.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I hope a Braithwaite gets every penny of his contract from Barca and also that Barca are wound up and dissolved immediately thereafter.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Arsenal seem to be signing something called a Fabio Vieira

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jippa posted:

Quick summary of this guy?

I’ve been following him for over two hours and I can safely say that people on Reddit say that he’s a very talented but very raw attacking midfielder who is excellent on the ball but needs to improve his positional awareness.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

sourdough posted:

Is he going to replace xhaka or pepe or smith rowe or what? A little confusing to me if he's not able to sit a little deeper in the middle or play on the wings

Seems like he’s best in Odegaard’s position and can also play deeper or as a false 9.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Average Lettuce posted:

I thought Arsenal hated Jorge Mendes...

I think that was a Wenger thing. Now we’re love super agents so much that we liquidated our entire scouting department and outsourced our scouting to Kia Joorabchian for a while.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Raphinha to Arsenal seems to be a thing that is happening. It’s not necessarily a position where Arsenal need to strengthen, but they need quality across the board. I also guess this means Pepe is gone.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

sticksy posted:

Is Pepe on massive wages too, I’d assume so given how big his transfer fee was?

They’re going to have to take a massive loss on him.

You would think he’s on massive wages but I’ve never actually heard about them being high, so I’m assuming they’re not.

And yes Arsenal will probably be paying for Pepe after he’s gone because they structured the deal to be paid over a decade or something insane.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

This is absolutely hilarious.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Minimonaco

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
tbf Rooney relegating Everton would be even funnier than Lampard doing it

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Arteta couldn’t hack it with the last two incredibly expensive strikers so let’s hope this time it turns out differently for some reason.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Eau de MacGowan posted:

was Lukaku back to Chelsea a worse transfer than Torres to Chelsea or Shevchenko to Chelsea :thunk:

It’s a close call, OP. Schevchenko has to be the worst. Lukaku actually performed a bit better for Chelsea than Torres but the amount of money they paid for him only to immediately give him back probably puts him over the top.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

sassassin posted:

Every footballer should rinse their employer for everything they can get. Especially one of the best players in the world, at one of the richest clubs in the world.

Also especially the poo poo players who were signed for way too much money and turned out to be unuseable.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Vinestalk posted:

Bolton under Allardyce and Birmingham under Alex McLeish felt way worse to watch than worm eater at burnley

Mourinho’s Chelsea teams were pretty insanely dirty.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Wazzerphuk posted:

Joao Palhinha to Fulham is also a done deal. And doesn't he look delighted?

Spending £20m on a defensive midfielder after getting promoted has never gone wrong before, so I am happy about this. On an entirely unrelated note, Jean Michael Seri is currently available as a free agent after his contract was not renewed.

Phwoar that shirt.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Barca have the energy of a man at a bar who has blacked out and thrown down his credit card to buy everyone drinks.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Elliptical Dick posted:

How is anyone still agreeing to deals with this club?

Or why anyone wants to go there when they're making all their established players take pay cuts. It's madness.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Mesut Ozil’s contract at Fenernahce has been terminated and he will now focus on being a full time gamer this is not a joke.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Going back to the Wenger days and buying all the attacking midfielders.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
So wait Barca are going to get an absolute mess of money for Frenkie and they’re just not going to use part of that money to pay him what they owe him?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Shrapnig posted:

You've cracked the code OP.

lol Jesus. I think I had just assumed they were asking United to pay him. That’s hilarious.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Subject to a medical? Terms being finalized? Mods?????

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Shrapnig posted:

What if I told you Farteta is going to play him in his natural position as an attacking midfielder?

Imagine I’ve posted a code tag XI of all of Arsenal’s attacking midfielders here.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
He’s right but staying at Barca seems weird if you want a stable club.

blue footed boobie fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 21, 2022

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Hegay posted:

Barca is signing Kounde for €60M instead of paying their players. When that deal is bolded they'll have spent 160m euro and signed Andreas Christensen and Franck Kessie on free transfers. Seems very reasonable.

The Spanish player association and Dutch player association is apparently preparing action against Barca

Good. I just keep wondering why these players are signing with them. It’s shouldn’t be difficult to see that they will probably be the ones getting shafted in a couple years (if Barca can even register them).

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Tevez time at United wasn't "fully poo poo"

Tevez ruled, and I’m seeing now that he’s apparently the manager of an Argentinian team. I had always assumed he was mentally impaired.

blue footed boobie fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 27, 2022

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

sticksy posted:

What happened with him - injuries, bought into his own hype, moved to a big(ger) club too soon? He was touted as such high potential and never really performed from what I recall.

I looked at his wiki page and it seems as though he did his knee in 2016 just when it was looking like he might be a premier league striker and was out for nearly 2 years. Now it seems like he seems to be performing poorly in league 1.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I remember when United used to just sign the best English player in a position where they had a need, but this strategy of obsessing over one player who doesn’t want to go there and then flailing to buy mediocre players with attitude problems is way cooler.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Slotducks posted:

The thing about the Liverpool subreddit is they're extremely good about hyping up kids like it's a yearly sacrifice to the gods.

There's lists of kids who were completely overhyped to insane degrees by rabid liverpool fans. The last Next Gerrard is playing in like League 1 right now. It's genuinely a shock there aren't more cases like Jordan Ibe with them being so overhyped and it all completely crashing down.

Samed Yesil was going to score 40 goals and cure cancer to liverpool fans at one point.

*in the BSE voice* Jordon

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Is Woodward still running transfers at United or have they found new ways to become incompetent?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Flayer posted:

Why are Man U going for relatively past it old players? It's obviously not going to work and at best will cover up the cracks for another year while the squad gets even worse overall.

Because they’re very much trying to cover the cracks so that they can get a CL spot and spend crazy money on more big names.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Wow United are loving mental.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
That is an absolute ton of money for a 30 year old but United have needed some positive personnel movement in their central midfield for a decade so I can’t blame them.

It seems absolutely bizarre to me that United don’t seem interested in signing a new striker. Even without having a striker who scores a ton of goals just having someone who does the basic work of a striker would open the game up for the rest of their offense.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Schweinsteiger is going to help the Chicago Fire win a World Cup.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bea Nanner posted:

Adnan Januzaj is still a free agent, age 27.

Anyone know what’s going on there? I’m not exactly a devoted La Liga watcher but I was under the impression he had proven to be competent if not great or entitled to Janusaj wages at Sociedad.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I don’t even understand those memes.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
United may want to bring Woodward back the way this summer is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

These don’t seem concerning to you? All of these transfers very much seem like panic buys made at eye watering prices with no real plan. Antony don’t even seem to be particularly highly rated or in a position that United need to address immediately.