Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

TheRat posted:

Isnt he going to Barcelona?

What kind of financial fraud will that require?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

sprotto posted:

are you trying to summon oliwan? because this is how you summon oliwan

He's busy at the Europa Conference Final.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

whostolemyhat posted:

That's an archetypal Everton signing, surely. Ex-Arsenal winger to add to Walcott and Iwobi.

It'd be pretty amazing if the Ox became the first Liverpool/Everton transfer since Abel Xavier, but given the thin ice Everton is already on with its fanbase, I don't see how it could happen.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Myssu posted:

How could Der Spiegel L'equipe do this on the eve of a big game?

L'Equipe are City fans. Der Spiegel have season tickets at Anfield.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You can have Perisic or Pulisic. You can’t have both.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

the sex ghost posted:

Can't believe pogba and salah have both turned down new deals to sign for Leeds. Many outlets reporting this

Leeds' Football Director: Working hard. THANK YOU!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

tbp posted:

yeah i'm not super enamored with this transfer tbh but it looks like its gonna happen so i hope i'm just proven wrong

I have my doubts about this move, but I guess we have to trust that Klopp and Ward and the coaches know what they're doing.

I can't help but think that Benfica players get very overhyped. This might be the sour legacy of Lazar Markovic at play, though.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Chas McGill posted:

De Jong didn't seem that good at Barca, though admittedly Barca have been shite. He never seemed like the player to inspire them.

Really? I thought he was good and getting better. They need all the younger players that are still on an upward trajectory that they can get.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I think Benfica announced it. Is it boldable yet?

https://www.slbenfica.pt/pt-pt/agora/noticias/2022/06/13/futebol-benfica-darwin-comunicado-cmvm-transferencia-liverpool

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Can I put this here?

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/1536392098508939264

Everton are in a weird spot, by the look of it. I wonder if some kind of ownership change has to happen.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Any Lyon fans here?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/foster-gillett-lyon-owner-liverpool-27184368

The Gillett family is back, but they went to France instead of back to England. Foster Gillett is set to be president of the club after a transition period.

I'm curious if he learned any lessons from his time at Liverpool or if this is just going to end in tears again. Aulas has been a pretty canny operator and going from having someone like that in charge of your transfers to Foster "Blow Me, Fuckface" Gillett is going to be a downgrade.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 14, 2022

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I think it would at least be a good stopgap while you rebuild your midfield for the long term.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Jippa posted:

Yeah he has been constantly linked with spurs and said he wants to play CL so I'm hopeful he will come.

In other news, it's all go.

https://twitter.com/AdamCrafton_/status/1536711879787270144

I read that Raphinha wanted Barcelona. He reportedly turned down Liverpool in hopes of going to Spain.

There are many reasons not to go to Liverpool, but I'm just wondering how solid any of this speculation about him is.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1537389572836974593?s=20&t=5qrvWjgxJg742hTNEvj0_A

Waiting to add to the midfield is is not a surprise, but it is also not what I wanted to hear.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 16, 2022

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1537797223781650434

The fee numbers are disappointing, but given how there wasn't a bidding war and how Mane only had one year left on his deal and wanted to go, I guess there wasn't much bargaining room.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

TheRat posted:

That seems incredibly low for Mane, not gonna lie.

I can't tell. He had one year left on his deal, he wasn't going to re-sign, and he and a lot of people in his circle were making a ton of noises in public about moving on. No other club was in for him.

I would have been tempted to just let him ride out his contract and let him go on a free, but with Salah looking like he's going to do the same thing, I can see why the club decided to just get what money they could.

This might be karmic payback for how Liverpool got Thiago at a discount too.

Anyway... I think we're going to see even more Bosmans than we used to and that is going to drive fees down a bit. Barca showing how big fees can go out of control and drive a club close to financial ruin has changed the market a lot.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Akbar posted:

Not sure how to feel about this. His performance might be worth 380k/week in the current market but it would massively undermine the wage structure and open the door to more wage renegotiations. 60M seems low though, unless they can somehow buy another young star for pennies.

Everyone knows he'll likely be off on a Bosman by the end of next season. It really doesn't lead to big fees unless there's a bidding war involved.

Vegetable posted:

Who else is gonna pay him that much though lol. Madrid or City, maybe. No one else has that kind of money. And that’s not even including the transfer fee.

And this is why you're not seeing a bidding war. Who can afford the wage?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1541846496022335488

Leeds have a 100m War Chest now watch us buy lots of wastemen from La Liga and some 16 year olds.

No faith in Jesse?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I think this is a good signing for everyone invovled. Richarlison gets a shot at CL football and he'll look better when getting service from better teammates. Spurs get some cover so they can rest Son and Kane more. Everton get some much needed cash.

And as much as I don’t like the guy, Richarlison gives 100% and isn’t afraid of a little gamesmanship. I think Conte will like that a lot.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I just hope the wage structure hasn't been blown apart with this deal.

Me wage structure!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I thought he was going to troll all of England by being a badass tackler and he ended up not doing anything cool.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

EC10 posted:

kalvin phillips seems like a bit of an overrated englishman who had one good tournament type purchase, surprised to see guardiola go for that

If you're the kind of person who views City as a sportswashing exercise rather than a club, then I think having another brave English lion in their squad makes perfect sense.

I don't know how their overall homegrown numbers are. Maybe that was a consideration too.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Leeds is now America's team.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

joepinetree posted:

Suarez aborted his transfer to River because hey were knocked out of libertadores yesterday

Where is he likely to go to then?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Why didn't Lingard move to West Ham earlier? It seemed like such a good fit and it wasn't like Man-U wanted to keep him.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Send Cristiano Ronaldo to Dynamo Kiev.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

He was the ballboy who helped set up the last goal in the 4-0 versus Barcelona.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFGLGtxqZzY

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Barry Shitpeas posted:

So they signed him to a long-term ballboying contract?

He's also reportedly been very good for every youth team level he's been at, but if that all goes south, he can always try to be a ballboy coach.

He's a bit of a folk hero on the Liverpool subreddit, but I don't know if that's a good thing.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

tbp posted:

it would be cool if liverpool signed a midfielder so the options aren't entirely (1) 30+ year olds running on fumes (2) 30+ year olds whos hamstrings are suggestions rather than facts or (3) children

Keita is so infuriating as he constantly gets injured right when he hits form and Thiago’s iniury issues are well-known at this point. I know Liverpool want to buy the right player and not waste money, but the midfield has been a concern for about 3 seasons now and it’s frustrating that the club are just going to sit on it.

Hopefully Elliott and Jones can step up. We really need at least consistent fitness and energy. We’re otherwise going to see Milner, Henderson and Fabinho hit a wall pretty soon.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Are these Delaps related or do they just look alike?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

sticksy posted:

Saw a rumor that Naby Keita is unhappy and wants a move to which I say ok sure, go ahead and leave next summer on a free.

He definitely has never lived up to his hype or price tag of 1.5x Carroll's, with so many false dawns and "maybe he's finally turned the corner" then an inevitable injury or something dumb. Probably best to move him on once there's more depth in midfield.

It's frustrating since if Keita leaves on a free, our bargain-hunting recruitment team now have to somehow secure yet another good midfielder. We haven't really replaced Wijnaldum yet. Thiago is still fragile. Henderson is reaching his own twilight. Milner will probably move on to coaching or just move on back to Leeds. Who knows if we finally break Fabinho. If Jones and Elliott don't move up a level this season, that's not a reliably CL level midfield.

Plus, I don't know if there is truth behind the reports about Bellingham, but if FSG is going to do what it'll take to get him (and you have to doubt that since they backed out of Tchouameni once Real jumped in for him), there won't be a lot left to spend.

I don't think my eye is good enough to know if Liverpool should be in for Tielemans or some other unsettled fellow in the PL or elsewhere. I know online fans would love a new buy right now, but Liverpool don't have a great record with panic purchases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

That’s okay. England has a gentler league and less fixtures. :)

In all seriousness, is this guy good when fit?