Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
https://twitter.com/sportbible/status/1557405601461927937

Frenkie should just stay and refuse to lower his wages. Roll up every day in a tricked out disco bus with a fog machine in it then moonwalk into the building wearing a suit made of €200 notes.

I guess Barca will end up having to pay him off to leave because they can't afford to forego the transfer fee and the opportunity to avoid paying the rest of his wages (minus whatever Frenkie's compensation is for the last 2 seasons). The soft deadline is their first match this weekend and the hard deadline is the registration deadline on September 1st. I can't imagine Barca is super thrilled to have their new signings unregistered for the first match, so maybe we'll see something happen later this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
United aren't even trying at this point. They're going to sack Ten Hag in like 3-5 weeks and we'll find out that Murtough and Arnold were having clandestine meetings with Pochettino before the second half of the Brentford match kicked off.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
Ligue 1 seems to be chock full of world class midfielders that mid table PL clubs buy for like £8 million every other year but I guess it makes more sense to give a truckload of cash to a 30 year old ball winning midfielder who's done literally everything he's ever dreamt of in his career already.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

TheRat posted:

I mean, Casemiro alone would be better than any midfield 3 Man Utd could currently muster.

Yeah but they need some combination of depth and quality in midfield as Fred and McTominay look like two very athletic men who have never played football in their lives. I guess they could use Casemiro and Eriksen in a double pivot but an injury to one of them and they're back to being completely unable to implement a possession tactic.

If it were up to me they'd have found 3 players who can be half decent cogs in a possession team's midfield and then worried about acquiring a world class player or two after the foundations had been established.

Going all in on a Barca player and then a Real player after that fails is 12 year old playing FIFA career mode stuff. Maybe it works, I'm wrong about this type of stuff all the time, but the overall transfer strategy looks very stupid to me.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Vegetable posted:

He’d be a major improvement on the current midfield though. It’s crazy money but what isn’t these days?

Is ball winning midfielder a role players can keep doing well into their 30's? Just seems like a very, very risky deal.

Also by far the most important role in the whole team is that midfield connector role. A player who can progress the ball through the midfield is worth busting your budget for, idk if a ball winner is. I guess they're going to have a go with Eriksen as the connector, so we'll see how that goes.

I guess they're looking for a forward or two since they're short there but the top priority should be a goalkeeper who isn't petrified of the ball. There's no chance of playing out from the back with De Gea in goal. He's also just a terrible keeper in general. It's really bizarre that they can't convince anyone to join because basically anyone could take the starting keeper role almost instantly.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
Unless Chelsea bid >£40 million United can't sell Mqguire. They would be left with Martinez, Varane, Lindelof and Jones left and Martinez is the only one of them whose legs and/or back aren't made of uncooked spaghetti noodles and papier-mâché.

Also this Maguire being poo poo thing is overblown. He's pretty good with the ball at his feet and good in the air. Every CB is going to look awful playing a high line with poo poo midfielders and no sweeper keeper behind.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
What is the functional difference between a 4231 and a 433? Are you just telling another one of the 3 to stay further back while other one doesn't? How does that work with the heavy pressing, do you just wait for the ball to come deeper into your end of the pitch?

From my understanding the whole point of gegenpressing is that you're relying on turning the ball over high up the pitch and then attacking as quickly as possible after a turnover, thus reducing the reliance on a midfield playmaker to generate scoring chances. The thing is, if you want to be a club that can beat anyone, you kind of need that playmaker anyways, because your opponents can just let you have the ball for a lot of the match and press the poo poo out of you instead. If you want to counter this strategy you need to be able to make something out of possession as well. All this to say that they probably need another player who can do what Thiago does and then make sure they don't both get injured at the same time.

It's weird they haven't been in for Frenkie De Jong. Maybe his wages are too high for them to consider it.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

blue footed boobie posted:

These don’t seem concerning to you? All of these transfers very much seem like panic buys made at eye watering prices with no real plan. Antony don’t even seem to be particularly highly rated or in a position that United need to address immediately.

The only one that really fits that description is Casemiro, which was definitely a panic buy and one that they will most likely regret after a year or two. Martinez and Malacia both look very good. They pretty desperately needed a wide forward who's good on the right side because they've only got Sancho, Rashford and Elanga, all of whom are better on the left. They've also got only Martial for CF as Ronaldo is awful at everything other than being good for marketing.

It's a lot of money for Antony, but they really did need a player like him and if he's good no one will care about the transfer fee in a few years.

e:f;b.

I'd also add in the context that the players that were released this summer (Pogba, Cavani, Matic, Mata and Lingard) added up to like a million pounds a week in wages and a similar weekly amount next year will go with Ronaldo, De Gea and Jones.

jettisonedstuff fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 28, 2022

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

It just seems like a risky transfer to me to pay big money for a 30 year old ball winning midfielder. I think he'll be a huge improvement on McTom and Fred playing in a defensive mid role but there's a big risk that he'll go the way Matic did in the latter half of his contract.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Is he able hit a football with his foot in such a way as to control the direction and distance that it travels?

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Did anyone else immediately hear Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs in their heads upon reading this guy's name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Vinestalk posted:

I feel like the only position with poor depth is the striker. There's Jesus, then Nketiah, and then it's either hoping a winger can slot in there or shoving in academy fodder no one has heard of. But it's not like you can convince a quality striker to be fighting with Nketiah for the back up spot. Same goes for the majority of the positions in this squad.

I think there is an appreciable drop in quality if one of Jesus, Odegaard, or Ramsdale get injured. Nketiah is decent and Smith Rowe is good, but they are nowhere near the quality of either starter and I think that's when the results will dip. I think the American keeper is probably bad, but that's based on the little I saw in preseason which is not really fair.

Are these not problems faced by everyone, except possibly City? Which teams that play with 1 striker have a quality 3rd option? Who isn't going to struggle if their playmaking midfielder is injured?