Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Local fry convo: I dunno what kind of fry I'd even call Dick's in Seattle, but they're probably my favorite fastfood fry. If I had to describe them they sound awful, real dark overdone looking exterior, limp, maybe even soggy, but goddamn are they decadent. Fortunately when I was living in Seattle I was young and we were poor so I only really had it on special occasions, and as an adult with my own money I've only ever visited Seattle for friends/family so I may get a chance to have them like once a year if that, probably would get tired of them if I had them too often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Spinz posted:

I did all the work, hell yes I'm posting my Fast Food Fries Magnum Opus from the goldmine

Back when I was an ambitious attention whore who still had the will to live

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3913887

Amazing. Not surprised I voted 5.

I think this is my favorite.

Spinz posted:

The evil acts I uncovered seemed endless; they are also lovely tippers

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party

500excf type r posted:

the alternative fast food french fry (ALT F4) combo would be taco bells nacho fries which arent bad

how high were you when you typed this

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ArbitraryC posted:

Local fry convo: I dunno what kind of fry I'd even call Dick's in Seattle, but they're probably my favorite fastfood fry. If I had to describe them they sound awful, real dark overdone looking exterior, limp, maybe even soggy, but goddamn are they decadent. Fortunately when I was living in Seattle I was young and we were poor so I only really had it on special occasions, and as an adult with my own money I've only ever visited Seattle for friends/family so I may get a chance to have them like once a year if that, probably would get tired of them if I had them too often.

These are fresh cut fries and they are trash tier. I like dicks fries too though but they are not good by any stretch. If you get lucky with a well done batch they're more acceptable

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

All of our Nathan’s have gone out of business so no more Nathan’s fries or Arthur Treacher’s fish filets.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lincoln posted:

Pro-tip: if you're ever at McDonalds against your will

McDonald's is fine and you sound ridiculous

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
I like to put Tajin on my fried potato sticks.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
dill on pommes = s++

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
There was a barrel with ridged covers just spinning to get the skins off. You have a knife ready to grab that one blight and cut it out.

Then throw the result in an ice bath. Until morning and then!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

PokeJoe posted:

These are fresh cut fries and they are trash tier. I like dicks fries too though but they are not good by any stretch. If you get lucky with a well done batch they're more acceptable

I'm comparing them against fast food fries but I've never had anything better personally. They seem to stay good too, like you don't necessarily need to scarf them down the second you get your bag or risk losing the moment. I do really like just potato tho, and they channel potato but fried so well.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

They do have a longer half life than many kinds of fries. Wendy's used to have the shortest lived fries but they really stepped their game up. The Dicks fries are still super oily and the bag is drat near see through if you take it home before eating them though. I just ate some dicks Saturday and the fries are as floppy and oily as ever

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'll keep eating that garbage though dicks is my favorite place to be burgin'

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

PokeJoe posted:

I just ate some dicks Saturday, sloppy and oily as ever
:same:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I generally never liked super skinny fries but I could go for a big plate of the ones from steak n shake right now

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
In-N-Out fries are great, you just need to salt them yourself. It's sort of a ritual.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
McDonald's fries are the only ones I prefer without ketchup or any other addition

Other than salt

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
i make my own fries. wife got me one of those crinkle-cut slicers, i use russet potatos leave the skin on and cook them in batches in our air fryer, poo poo's delicious

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Bloop posted:

I generally never liked super skinny fries but I could go for a big plate of the ones from steak n shake right now

:hmmyes:

I haven't had Steak n Shake in 20 years but I remember really liking it. That was the first time I had those crispy skinny fries.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

AKA Pseudonym posted:

In-N-Out fries are great, you just need to salt them yourself. It's sort of a ritual.

i get em well done and then heavily salt them. not the best fry but with that technique its good.

jack-in-teh-box or arbys curlys are my go-to for fries

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I miss Jack in the Box. None of those out here. I don't remember their fries though but I loved that place.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Canadian A&W Poutine is a abomination that doesn't even deserve the name. They use a WAY too salty chicken gravy instead of the correct sweet beef gravy.

and I can't. stop. ordering. it.

anyways best fries are my daughter's. She has some weird oven+air-fryer small batch process she uses that makes them really crispy.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I miss Jack in the Box. None of those out here. I don't remember their fries though but I loved that place.

They have fine fries and also curly fries for the people who enjoy the wastes of Arby's. The real wonder of Jack in the Box is you can get a burger, a taco, and a egg roll and they will all be fine

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

who cares just douse those fuckers in vinegar

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

PokeJoe posted:

a taco..... and they will all be fine

You're one of "them."

I am a supreme JitB taco hater. Don't.... test.... me.....

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

How the gently caress do you like steak fries more than curly or waffle

Has to be a troll post, voted 1

This is all that needed to be said, thread should've been gassed by now.

.random
May 7, 2007

• Rally / Checkers fries are great and terrible at the same time. They’re like a slightly better (terrible-er) version of Popeye’s fries.
  • Smash Burger’s Smash Fries are good.
  • I’ve never heard of a Jojo before but after Doing My Own Research, I guess I’ve probably eaten them and they’re pretty good.
  • Except I think KFC’s wedges might be Jojos and they are not good (though I recall liking them a long long time ago? I haven’t had them recently for obvious reasons).
  • Tater tots (which are not fries) can be good but are usually too greasy and awful - they seem to be a rare example of “better baked than deep fried.”
  • Five Guys can be pretty good (but not great) but it 100% depends on the location and if they care to do it right.
  • But proper Belgian frites are strictly better of course
  • BK fries are terrible. McDonald’s fries are fine but obscenely overly salted. Wendy’s fries were decently good, no idea now.
  • Shake Shack and Super Duper Burger both have underwhelming fries.
  • Christian fries (In-N-Out and Chick-Fil-A) are Not Good.
  • Arby’s fries are decent but they really don’t live up to the full potential of a curly fry.
  • Ore-Ida uses some weird rear end potatoes or something and their fries have fine texture (when cooked properly) but tend to have a bizarre taste.
  • Steak fries in general are very hit or miss and are sadly usually not cooked right.

I hope the above makes you realize how off the rails you’re going, OP. Maybe this can help you figure your life out and get things back on track, friend :unsmith:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pennywise the Frown posted:

You're one of "them."

I am a supreme JitB taco hater. Don't.... test.... me.....

I used to hate them. I don't know what happened but i acquired the taste, they're pretty good if you aren't craving a real taco. You gotta embrace the fact that they are lovely

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

ArbitraryC posted:

I have family in Seattle and go to that chain every time I visit, because who doesn't want a bag of dicks? I get the impression that it's garbage tier except when you get nostalgic for it or after you've drank all night at a bar near one of their locations.

The fries are ok but I can see the appeal.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

ArbitraryC posted:

They're not my favorite, but in our new guilded age where 20+ USD for just a burger and fries is now considered normal and the dollar menu is slowly becoming extinct, I'll applaud that Dick's is still following the old ways and only still a couple of bucks.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I don't think anyone has worked Culver's into their tier lists yet, but IIRC they were solid crinkle-cut fries. Nothing spectacular, but they were well made, lightly salted, and their manifold shape was good for holding the condiment of your choice.

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
I grew up in Spokane but went to college in Seattle. When my college friends brought me to the Seattle Dick's I was like, "Oh yeah we have this too. It's the place with the panda and the rooster is pecking the burgers out of his hand." and they all treated me like I was a crazy person.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

poopnanners posted:

I grew up in Spokane but went to college in Seattle. When my college friends brought me to the Seattle Dick's I was like, "Oh yeah we have this too. It's the place with the panda and the rooster is pecking the burgers out of his hand." and they all treated me like I was a crazy person.

There is a Dick’s in Spokane, but the menu is way different and iirc there’s some backstory on how they went in different directions. It’s not really the same thing as the Seattle chain from what I recall.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I don't think anyone has worked Culver's into their tier lists yet, but IIRC they were solid crinkle-cut fries. Nothing spectacular, but they were well made, lightly salted, and their manifold shape was good for holding the condiment of your choice.

Usually soggy and crappy any time I've had them.
I don't even order sides at Culvers since they're invariably a gigantic rip off though

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I went to a local amusement park, Kennywood, this weekend and got their famous Potato Patch fries.

A+ fries and the guy gave us like 3x the normal order size since the crowds were pretty light that day. These things are a Pittsburgh staple for a reason, they're thick but stay crispy, the cheese sauce and bacon you can get is delicious, and the different seasoning salts are all really good, too.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
New Wedny's fries are S-tier, dethroning McDonalds

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

A Fancy Hat posted:

I went to a local amusement park, Kennywood, this weekend and got their famous Potato Patch fries.

A+ fries and the guy gave us like 3x the normal order size since the crowds were pretty light that day. These things are a Pittsburgh staple for a reason, they're thick but stay crispy, the cheese sauce and bacon you can get is delicious, and the different seasoning salts are all really good, too.

Did you suck any dick on the old mill

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

PokeJoe posted:

Did you suck any dick on the old mill

Yeah that's also a Pittsburgh staple.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

:911:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Pittsburgh more like Shitsburgh

Because their fries are the poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

How about Zaxby's? Anyone know about their fries? I've never even been in one, but assume they have french fries.