Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I don't think anyone has worked Culver's into their tier lists yet, but IIRC they were solid crinkle-cut fries. Nothing spectacular, but they were well made, lightly salted, and their manifold shape was good for holding the condiment of your choice.

Crinkle cut fries are near or at the bottom of my list but Culver's fries aren't too terrible considering they're crinkle cut. Just gotta dip them in mayo from the giant dispensers they have or get the cheese sauce for them.

Better yet, get the cheese curds and dip them in the cheese sauce. :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party

ArbitraryC posted:

There is a Dick’s in Spokane, but the menu is way different and iirc there’s some backstory on how they went in different directions. It’s not really the same thing as the Seattle chain from what I recall.

Burgers, fries, shakes, in a similar style. Seemed similar to me but I haven't been in a long time :shrug: I'd be interested to learn the history though.

I also liked Zip's a lot as a teenager but I must be the weirdo for liking crinkle cut fries. A few friends worked there and advised against ordering the tartar sauce.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Crinkle cut fries are situational.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They're pretty niche. They're best when served with some other type of fat they can partially soak up, and they don't become completely soggy like steak fries.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
crinkle cuts uber alles

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Ribbed for your dipping pleasure

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I have 5 Guys at the top of my list because I happen to adore soggy fries. Always have,

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I enjoy crinkle cuts fries at the diner with sandwiches and chili. And sometimes sandwiches covered in chili.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I’m not sure I understand the aversion to crinkle-cut fries. If they’re properly cooked they’re fine.

Pretty much 100% of the truly crappy fries I’ve eaten started life as a whole potato in the restaurant. Most local eateries do not know how to make a French fry. They think you need to slice a potato and drop it in hot oil.

This is incorrect.

I’m not going to explain proper technique here, but if you need me to, you should not be making French fries.

Regardless, crinkle-cut fries arrive at the restaurant frozen, in a bag. They’ve almost certainly been blanched, and are very difficult to gently caress up. ALL RESTAURANTS should buy their fries pre-blanched, in a frozen bag. If you own a restaurant, and you’re buying whole potatoes to cut into French fries, you are almost certainly loving your own poo poo up by being penny-wise and pound-foolish. Your fries suck.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while. (no offense)

So... you prefer frozen manufactured fries over a..... sliced potato?

Best fries are when they take a whole potato with the skin on and put it through that aluminum can crusher thing. Fry at a lower temp for a bit to par-cook them, then higher to get them crispy. I don't know the times but I know it's a double fry. Add salt while they're still oily so it sticks.

bing bang boom so simple

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the freezing makes the fries good

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hmmm..... maybe freezing could take some of the moisture out of the potato which would possibly make it crispier. Like, when you make hashbrowns from scratch you have to wring the water out and there is a ton in there.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

No frozen fries are already par/blanch fried, they’ve had the first fry round already. Less likely to be hosed up, but won’t reach the potential of a true from scratch made fry.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Tnuctip posted:

but won’t reach the potential of a true from scratch made fry.

:hmmyes:

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
My lovely air fryer makes some drat goood frozen fries from the ol Walmart

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That's one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while. (no offense) ... Fry at a lower temp for a bit to par-cook them, then higher to get them crispy.

Yeah that's what blanching is. What's one of the dumbest things you've heard in a while?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lincoln posted:

Yeah that's what blanching is. What's one of the dumbest things you've heard in a while?

All that nonsense coming out of Washington!

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Cheetos are French fries made out of corn. I rank them highly

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
all i know is that country potatoes are certified rear end

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I used to really dislike 5 Guys fries, but one magical day I got them crispy and they were delicious.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lincoln posted:

I’m not going to explain proper technique here, but if you need me to, you should not be making French fries.

Yeah I could do it, I just don't want to. But I'm really very good at it.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Chinatown posted:

in n out well done

with a large side of bitchboy haters tears

this is also ur mom's favourite and i know from experience :drat:

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
My nephew insisted I go to 5 Guys with him because he knows I love a good cheeseburger, and it’s his favorite place. Terrible burger. Terriburger. The bun was dry and the cheese wasn’t at all melted. They gave me ten billon undercooked french fries. All that for just $20. That was my first and, so far, last visit to 5 Guys.

There’s a local joint that serves a hell of a burger (surprisingly, it’s a golf course bar & grill), and they cut their own potatoes to make fries. But they do it RIGHT. Soaked in sugar water immediately after slicing, properly blanched, and they cover them in salt & pepper while still hot. In fact, they don’t cook any fries until they’re ordered, so they’re dangerously hot when you get them. Perfect.

The owner is a drunk like me, so there’s a built-in excuse to gently caress up the kitchen, yet he somehow pulls it off. But a fashionable corporate burger chain can’t ensure ANY quality food gets served? How does that happen? I’ll probably give 5 Guys a second chance, but my antenna will be up when I walk in the door.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like you had the typical 5Guys experience, actually

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
You know who really really likes mcdonalds french fries a whole whole lot

seagulls

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The Bloop posted:

They're inconsistent except in one aspect, in that no matter in what way they're being inconsistent, it's to do something badly.
Like people in this thread alone are all over about their fries, even people who have been to them multiple times.

Lincoln, who just posted, mentioned their burger being dry with the cheese unmelted, and undercooked fries. I personally, have never gotten a burger from them that I didn't almost need a spoon to eat due to how wet and greasy it was with the bun disintegrating as a result, and fries I simply just threw away since they're improperly cooked limp grease piles.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Seagulls eating human food always reminds me of Disney World. Seagulls & pigeons are a constant there, though they do a pretty good job at keeping them away, all things considered.

But this is a french fry thread, so I must say that a) WDW french fries are pretty drat good, and b) food service at WDW post-Covid has knocked it out of the loving park. Wife & I visited in January, and every restaurant experience was top-notch. Food incredible, service outstanding. Genie+ is a loving mess.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

1. Checkers
2. Chik-fil-a
3. Wendy's

Lincoln posted:

My nephew insisted I go to 5 Guys with him because he knows I love a good cheeseburger, and it’s his favorite place. Terrible burger. Terriburger. The bun was dry and the cheese wasn’t at all melted. They gave me ten billon undercooked french fries. All that for just $20. That was my first and, so far, last visit to 5 Guys.
How did you manage to get a dry bun from 5 guy's? They always wrap up your burger in foil in a way that leaves it completely soggy by the time you walk back to your seat.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was gonna say Sonic's fries are worst but Sonic is probably the worst fast food restaurant because theyir entire menu is so bland it's like it was made for an old folks home. Wouldn't want scare people off with seasoning! But still, this used to be their official picture of cheese fries on their menu

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 2, 2022

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Jesus loving Christ. You know what? I’m going to make the 25-minute drive to that golf bar just order the goddamn fries today. Please stand by.

.random
May 7, 2007

Lincoln posted:

Jesus loving Christ. You know what? I’m going to make the 25-minute drive to that golf bar just order the goddamn fries today. Please stand by.

OP wanted me to update the thread and let everyone know that he is trying to get to the golf bar today but his wrist is broken and the ground is frozen at the moment, so it might be a few months.

But I will say, I’ve reviewed OP’s solution and for sure there are fries buried there, no question, so it’s only a matter of time.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Golf bars have had some of the legit best burgs I’ve ever had

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Aesop Poprock posted:

I was gonna say Sonic's fries are worst but Sonic is probably the worst fast food restaurant because theyir entire menu is so bland it's like it was made for an old folks home. Wouldn't want scare people off with seasoning! But still, this used to be their official picture of cheese fries on their menu

what the gently caress

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lincoln posted:

This was my exact experience. Including not going there a second time. I will probably, stupidly, do it again anyway sometime. Actually I think the burger was ok but I don't remember.

The Bloop posted:

Yeah this.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Every few years I'm like 5 guys is good right?

Then I see the prices and I'm like yeah it HAS to be good

Then it isn't