Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
From the time our beloved dead forums first took shape, gaming conventions have gone from a sizeable niche weirdo thing to a colossal niche weirdo thing. 15 years ago we were still struggling to get a dozen posts in a thread for attending Gen-Con, but now we have a virtual Goon Army attending every year and spending the rest of the year making fun of each other in Discord. For historical consideration, the last iteration of this thread I remember was in 2013, though so many things have changed since then in terms of gaming convention proliferation and annihilation that I imagine the current crop of hot tickets looks totally different.

The point is, for as much attention as Gen-Con or Dragon Con or even the various PAX conventions have garnered over the years, it is still fairly unusual for subnational gaming conventions to get any discussion outside of occasional mentions in the Traditional Games chat thread, and that is JUST SILLY! Especially since I know people are going to, and in some cases even helping organize, these cool-rear end events. I was on the fence for whether Origins counted for this thread until WerrWaaa mentioned looking forward to me making this thread for the very reason that he wanted to talk about it, so Origins is clearly the "biggest convention we are talking about here" cutoff point (I think they average 15,000 on a good year). Also incidentally my source for suddenly believing this thread was possible, FanCons, has a lot of dates at least a little wrong, so it is worth double-checking anything you discover there.

Conventions I hear are cool and am attending myself to start us off:
June 3-5: PopCon Indy
June 8-12: Origins Game Fair (Columbus, Ohio)
June 24-26: Planet Funk Con (Quad Cities, Iowa/Illinois)
July 7-10: Fan Expo Chicago
October 20-23: GameHoleCon (Madison, Wisconsin, record holder for worst convention name)
March 23-26: Gary Con (Lake Geneva, Wisconsin)
May 18-21: Geekway to the West (St. Louis, Missouri)

Summer is also a great time for conventions, so this thread is seeking to strike when the iron is hot and build up some throbbing, heaving passion for discussing either your favorite smaller gaming convention or for getting recommendations on conventions actually worth attending despite their small stature. What are people's preferred conventions that are not Gen-Con or Dragon Con? If they are in the Midwestish, I might even go to them! Any convention with enough tabletop gaming to warrant mention in a show description counts for inclusion here, even if from the name you might not guess it belonged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am going to respond to my own drat thread immediately for an example of posting about a convention you want to hype, since I want to do that very thing:

I have only tried out about 15 conventions in my life so far, but for my part I must say Gary Con stands out for its perpetually astonishing juxtaposition of manageable size and BIG STAR POWER (if you are at all into 1970s/1980s gaming, anyway). You cannot walk 10 feet in the Grand Lodge at Lake Geneva without running into an ex-TSR (the real one) employee or Gygax family member, and there are things happening there every year that boggle the mind. For example, this year I played in a game of Braunstein run by the original author, the game that infamously in the late 1960s led to Dave Arneson wanting to run his own iteration of it, called Blackmoor, and eventually becoming Dungeons & Dragons.

David Wesely wrapped up our session by telling a good 30 minutes of stories about the Minneapolis gaming crew that half-kickstarted the entire RPG world as we know it, and since a big part of why I love gaming conventions is collecting memorable experiences, Gary Con is always good for that.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Dr. Quarex posted:

May 18-21: Geekway to the West (St. Louis, Missouri)

Geekway is great. I'm on the board of directors. Been going for the past ~10 years.

They created Play and Win, which is an event where they have a library of games you can check out, and at the end of the con those games are given away to people who played them. It's awesome. :D

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I’m going to enhance this series of OP posts by compiling a list of smaller cons that goons attend, roughly when, and where. If people want their username listed as a “willing to meet goons” let me know!

PAX Unplugged - Late November/Early December - Philadelphia, PA - Fellis

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

There's a basically 0% chance I'll be able to go to any conventions beyond Geekway 2023 and Geekway Mini 2023 (which is sometime in January/February... i need to get the exact date so I can update the website :negative: ). I'm really bummed I'm missing Origins and Gencon this year :(

Next year will hopefully be better

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Omg I'm in the OP *freaks out*

But for real I am going to Origins for the first time and need gaming / drinking buddies. I go to Gen Con every year but don't really hang with goons because I have so many off-forum friends there. That's my only frame of reference for a game con and I'm already confused by the events list. The only ticket I got was Pint & Play so sign up for that with me thanks.

I live in TX now and could go to BGG Con if I had any idea what happened there.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I tend to go tona good number of conventions and am willing to meet goons at any of them as long as I can fit it in. Conventions I have attended and would attend again are:

Dexcon
Historicon
Fall In
Unpub
Gamehole Con
Too Many Games
Gen Con
Origins
Double exposure
Metatopia
Pax unplugged
Spiel (though no idea when ill go back)
Philcon

Decided not to attend origins this year after going for the last 7 or so years. Kind of bummed about that, but hopefully I'll make it back next year.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Oh dang did you do HMGS cons regularly nesbit? I went with my dad and a family friend a ton when both lived in PA, but minis was always their hobby more than mine. I just find the rules of 90% of minis games so tedious and the 10% of systems that interest me are usually not as popular. I haven’t been since like 2017

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I moved to PA in 2009 and have attended off and on since then. I don't go every year but attend when I can. Usually when they are at the valley forge convention center since then I can attend while driving to and from the con from my home.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I miss gaming conventions so much. When I'm comfortable traveling again I'm going to so many of them.

I'm in Socal and we have surprising lack of good tabletop game conventions.

LA specifically has Strategicon which is a smallish convention that takes place three times a year (it used to be three separate conventions) at a hotel near LAX the next one is this weekend but I'm not attending.

Strategicon - Gamex May 27-30 2022
Strategicon - Gateway September 2-5 2022
Strategicon - Orccon Feb 2023

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Speaking of HMGS cons, Little Wars is another good one I wish I could do. Its too far away for me though as its near Chicago. I think it takes place in the spring? Duke Siefried used to attend which was probably neat to see.

https://www.amazon.com/Development-Miniature-Wargaming-Including-Napoleonique/dp/0244373183/

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

WerrWaaa posted:

I live in TX now and could go to BGG Con if I had any idea what happened there.

I'm pretty sure its mostly just people playing board games. I haven't been, but from what I have heard it reminds me of the experience I had attending Dice Tower Con in Florida in the before times. Essentially there was a 24 hour play room and game library and people just played games there the whole time. There was a dealer hall but it was tiny, spent maybe 30 minutes max there all weekend. The rest of the time was just playing board games in that giant room. If people got bored of playing games they were told to just go to Disney World for the day.

I don't know if BGG con is exactly like that or not, and obviously there is no Disney World near by, but it has seemed like that from what I have heard.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
If anyone wants to see what some of these cons are like I suggest you check out TheOneTar on youtube. They do video series on some of these, including:

Kublacon
Spiel
Gen Con
Origins
PAX Prime
BGG Con
PAX South

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheOneTAR/playlists

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

If anyone is going to Origins this week DM me so I have someone to play games with!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fellis posted:

I’m going to enhance this series of OP posts by compiling a list of smaller cons that goons attend, roughly when, and where. If people want their username listed as a “willing to meet goons” let me know!

PAX Unplugged - Late November/Early December - Philadelphia, PA - Fellis
Hello it is I, the original poster, who opened this thread on his laptop and then packed it up and forgot about it for the next week and now here we are

I am always willing to Meet Goon(tm) and am going so far (I need to check the convention calendar post-Gen-/Dragon Con one of these days) to

Origins Game Fair - June 8-12 - Columbus, OH - DOKTA Q-REX
Planet Funk Con - June 24-26 - Quad Cities, IL/IA - Hello
Fan Expo Chicago - July 8-10 - Chicago, IL - But I will have my 5-year-old with me so my willingness may not be hugely useful

nesbit37 posted:

Dexcon
Double exposure
Metatopia
Did you merely mentioning these three conventions cause them to retroactively cease to exist?

I am also bummed you are not going to Origins, given last time we both went I think I somehow did not know you were there and otherwise I am only now finally all-in on Origins due to the VIG program and me being dumb

WerrWaaa posted:

Omg I'm in the OP *freaks out*

But for real I am going to Origins for the first time and need gaming / drinking buddies. I go to Gen Con every year but don't really hang with goons because I have so many off-forum friends there. That's my only frame of reference for a game con and I'm already confused by the events list. The only ticket I got was Pint & Play so sign up for that with me thanks.
IMMA DM U

Bucnasti posted:

LA specifically has Strategicon which is a smallish convention that takes place three times a year (it used to be three separate conventions) at a hotel near LAX the next one is this weekend but I'm not attending.
Is the existence of only 12 events for Strategicon in September indicative of its size or is that just because events trickle in constantly until the event happens?

It really is weird that gaming conventions on the West Coast in general are not bigger. This must have something to do with wargaming falling into the category of "winter activity"

nesbit37 posted:

If anyone wants to see what some of these cons are like I suggest you check out TheOneTar on youtube. They do video series on some of these, including:

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheOneTAR/playlists
Thank you, I totally forgot about TheOneTAR despite being thrilled to discover her initially (I imagine you probably told me about her before, too) since it makes no sense there are not way more people like Nelly who do in-depth video breakdowns of our beloved convention scene, given how even more niche subjects often have videography projects

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Dr. Quarex posted:

Is the existence of only 12 events for Strategicon in September indicative of its size or is that just because events trickle in constantly until the event happens?

It really is weird that gaming conventions on the West Coast in general are not bigger. This must have something to do with wargaming falling into the category of "winter activity"

I think it's more that the last event was only a week ago so they've only started getting things rolling for the next one.
Strateticon might not be that small actually, I don't have a great point of reference, The only tabletop exclusive cons I've been to in the last 20 years were Gencon and Origins. It's smaller than the regional sci-fi conventions I attended in the Pacific NW and Arizona, but those were general shows for a lot more than games.

I've heard a few times the theory that tabletop gaming is most popular in the midwest because they have snowy winters when indoor activities are a necessity.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My favorite small regional con is coming up in a couple of weeks.

Play On Con is a four-day gaming con and summer camp in Columbiana, Alabama.

It has a massive boardgaming and RPG space, plus it's at an actual 4H summer camp, so you get outdoor events like archery and canoeing. There are also nightly music concerts, parties, and an actual-rear end movie theater on-site for game shows and screenings. I've been going to this for almost 15 years now, and it's still my favorite annual con.

The on-site hotel rooms are way nicer than they have any right to be, and all of the indoor gaming spaces are air-conditioned.

If you're within a few hours' drive of Birmingham, I unreservedly recommend checking it out. Last I checked, a few rooms are still available.

Disclaimer: I volunteer for this con but am not monetarily invested in any way; I just want to share it with more folks who would enjoy it.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I should put in a plug for Adepticon, although it's very much a minis and war game con, with very little RPG or board game presence.
https://www.adepticon.org/
There are also world-class hobby painters giving classes every year if that's more your thing (it's the main reason I go now.) It's the same weekend as Gary Con again next year, which may make it a non-starter for some people, but they aim at pretty different groups.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Almost forgot, I wanted to second the recommendation for GameHole Con. It's a great local con that has a solid board game presence, and hits way above its weight for D&D Adventure League events. They usually have a long list of industry special guests too

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Funzo posted:

I should put in a plug for Adepticon, although it's very much a minis and war game con, with very little RPG or board game presence.
https://www.adepticon.org/
There are also world-class hobby painters giving classes every year if that's more your thing (it's the main reason I go now.) It's the same weekend as Gary Con again next year, which may make it a non-starter for some people, but they aim at pretty different groups.

I really want to go to Adepticon some day but my commitment to mini games really waxes and wanes. Hard to justify if I'm not deep in a game. :/

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I would love to attend adepticon again. First and only time I went was either 2008 or 2009 when I placed 2nd in the lotr sbg tournament. Stolen glory!!!

Sadly it being always either same weekend as gary con or weekend after kills it for me. I only have so much PTO and Gary Con is always going to trump adepticon for me. That said, I am in the middle of 3d printing a bunch of 10mm lotr terrain...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Washingcon is a small DC area tabletop con that is fairly new. MAGfest is the gorilla in the DC area; though its focus is more on video than tabletop it has a healthy tabletop scene.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey Fingoons, who's hype for Ropecon? It doesn't get more regional than this! :finland:

They got Avery Alder and Vlaada Chvátil!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I see all of the recommended conventions trom the last few posts have already passed for the year; tragic. Well except Play On Con, which totally sounds awesome.

Funzo posted:

Almost forgot, I wanted to second the recommendation for GameHole Con. It's a great local con that has a solid board game presence, and hits way above its weight for D&D Adventure League events. They usually have a long list of industry special guests too
They apparently are trying out a new registration system this year, the first year I am going, where your wishlist is processed and you have 20 minutes to purchase it, but if someone else buys their ticket sooner then your ticket reservation disappears. I... I am not sure who thought this was a good idea

WerrWaaa posted:

I really want to go to Adepticon some day but my commitment to mini games really waxes and wanes. Hard to justify if I'm not deep in a game. :/
Just be like me and have basically no interest in gaming!!! Wait, that sounds strange. I realize not every convention is an inherently fun environment if you are not primarily there to do some gaming. Has anyone here actually been to AdeptiCon to know whether it has a good vibe? Well, and recently I guess, as clearly Nesbit37 likes it but also has sworn an oath of vengeance against that first-place tournament finisher

Midjack posted:

Washingcon is a small DC area tabletop con that is fairly new. MAGfest is the gorilla in the DC area; though its focus is more on video than tabletop it has a healthy tabletop scene.
Huh, another convention (Washingcon) taking place during Gary Con. How dare there be regional competition for regional conventions?!?! Though Adepticon running at the same time as Gary Con still makes no sense given it is like 90 minutes away. Kind of like some big moron is responsible for C2E2 being at the same time as Gen-Con this year. I remember thinking surely nobody would be attending both but apparently there are indeed people coming for Thursday/Friday of Gen-Con then going to C2E2 for the weekend. These people are objectively dumb of course, since that means they will miss T.O.V.A.

Siivola posted:

Hey Fingoons, who's hype for Ropecon? It doesn't get more regional than this! :finland:

They got Avery Alder and Vlaada Chvátil!
drat, a bilingual pun convention name, we will never catch up with Finnish gaming technology

I definitely have visions of spending my first year of retirement going to gaming conventions on every continent. Every continent, Antarctigoons.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Just be like me and have basically no interest in gaming!!! Wait, that sounds strange. I realize not every convention is an inherently fun environment if you are not primarily there to do some gaming. Has anyone here actually been to AdeptiCon to know whether it has a good vibe? Well, and recently I guess, as clearly Nesbit37 likes it but also has sworn an oath of vengeance against that first-place tournament finisher

Does anyone know if there is an east coast at least somewhat equivalent to Adepticon? I've been slowly printing terrain and building miniatures for a 10mm LotR game of the siege of gondor and would love to take it to a con. It's got be in driving distance of Philly though, no way I am flying with this much stuff.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

nesbit37 posted:

Does anyone know if there is an east coast at least somewhat equivalent to Adepticon? I've been slowly printing terrain and building miniatures for a 10mm LotR game of the siege of gondor and would love to take it to a con. It's got be in driving distance of Philly though, no way I am flying with this much stuff.

PAX Unplugged is probably your best bet.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

NOVA is another east coast option.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Dr. Quarex posted:

I see all of the recommended conventions trom the last few posts have already passed for the year; tragic. Well except Play On Con, which totally sounds awesome.
It's my favorite event of the year, hands down. It's not the biggest con on the block, but it has an amazing and welcoming community. I'd love to see some goons show up one year, especially folks who like to game but are willing to get out of their comfort zone and try some of the crazier stuff the con does. There's the annual table-flipping contest. Room-scale Wiz-War. Johann Sebastian Joust with pool noodles. This year there's an honest-to-god science fair. It all starts tomorrow and I'm super excited.

Another fun con series I haven't seen mentioned is Atlanta Game Fest. They hold three events per year, and it's literally just a four-day weekend of open board gaming. No scheduled events, no shows, no vendors' room (though there is a flea market event open to all attendees). They don't even have a con-owned library; everyone brings their own collection, and somehow the place ends up with hundreds of games to play, including brand-new stuff. I've been going to these for over a decade now. If you want a weekend marathon of board games with fun, chill people, I can't recommend it highly enough.

There's normally a Game Fest event in the fall, but their most recent hotel got sold and the new management is awful, so they're scrambling to find a new venue in the next few months.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Dr. Quarex posted:

I was at Adepticon this year. I barely touched any games and spent my time in hobby classes and walking around the dealer hall. You can absolutely have a good time without being into the gaming side, although if you don't enjoy the game side and also don't enjoy the hobby side there might not be much for you to really do.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
they should sell passes that just allow access to the dealer area

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Some cons do that.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

WerrWaaa posted:

I live in TX now

https://www.millenniumcon.info/ in Austin in November.

I attended for the first time last year and had a blast. Played a ton of wargames, and not just historicals, though I played those as well; 6 player OGRE on a huge table, Et Sans Resultat (10mm napoleonics), Wiley Games Starfighter with 8 players, 4 player Battlefleet gothic, some weird western skirmish game I forget the exact name of, a microarmor homebrew that was mostly just Flames of War without infantry and in 6mm and was pretty meh but I hammed it up and extracted fun nonetheless.

I missed a ton more games going on that looked cool, like a scratchbuilt war of the worlds table, a WWI naval game, a huge 12 person game of Circus Maximus on a 12 foot long board, and some really awesome looking AWI table I kept seeing.

I'll be there this year as well, though I'm not sure I'll be running a game yet and if not this year, drat it, next year for sure.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Fellis are you going to do the thing you claimed you are doing you monster, I could do it in the first post instead if you like

Just found out about a convention that is in a place I never would have guessed could support a convention: La Crosse, Wisconsin! Coulee Con!. It is not like next door but it is definitely close enough that I feel it is in the spirit of this thread for me to check it out and see what the hell its deal is, though I am not sure if I can actually go without bringing a young child with me which would kind of limit my options. Maybe there will be a really good McDonald's next door to the convention center I can bribe him with

John Romero posted:

they should sell passes that just allow access to the dealer area
This is only tangentially related, but has anyone here been to a convention with a "ghost con/lobbyconning" issue? I was going to say that having this option might cut down on people claiming they cannot afford to attend, but then again, why would they be interested in buying things if they are too poor to attend in the first place

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I've always heard about people lobby conning Gen Con but I've never actually seen it happen. Maybe I've interacted with them in the past and just didn't realize they were badgeless and just hanging out in a hotel lobby or whatever. I don't get the concept personally, even if you are a local. Just go to the convention already. I don't know what they get out of it, but then again I am a big old introvert and don't get joy out of just talking to random people.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I've always heard about people lobby conning Gen Con but I've never actually seen it happen. Maybe I've interacted with them in the past and just didn't realize they were badgeless and just hanging out in a hotel lobby or whatever. I don't get the concept personally, even if you are a local. Just go to the convention already. I don't know what they get out of it, but then again I am a big old introvert and don't get joy out of just talking to random people.
I think this is what intrigues me so much, it is like a thought process exclusive to hyper-extroverted gamers of the sort I have barely ever encountered in person. I still remember the year we somehow got talked into allowing someone's broke and mostly insane girlfriend to stay on the floor of our hotel for free, but at least her partner bought her a badge?

Then again, if you can pull it off, I guess in some sense it is perfectly logical to hang out for free in the hallways and play games with strangers? I mean, that is at least technically part of what we are paying for, even if that is like 0.04% of why I personally attend

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Some people have groups of friends that do enough stuff outside the con space that they can have a decent time playing in hotel rooms and doing stuff around town. Groups can also pass badges off between their members so when someone is out to lunch the badge doesn't lie fallow.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's very common for cosplay.

Lots of people do it at Holiday Matsuri. It's an anime convention technically, but in practice it's a huge cosplay get together and lots of people never buy a pass. The Marriott they host it at has a lot of good spots for photos, and you can go anywhere on property except the actual convention halls without a pass (or even hotel reservation.)

Katsucon's got some of that going on too.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Geekway Mini 2023 tickets went on sale today. It's a ~400 person convention in early January in St. Louis and it's a great time.

https://tabletop.events/conventions/geekway-mini-20231

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
Decided last minute to go to pax unplugged. Any other goons around this weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'll be there at least Friday and Saturday. Probably not on sunday.