Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My favorite small regional con is coming up in a couple of weeks.

Play On Con is a four-day gaming con and summer camp in Columbiana, Alabama.

It has a massive boardgaming and RPG space, plus it's at an actual 4H summer camp, so you get outdoor events like archery and canoeing. There are also nightly music concerts, parties, and an actual-rear end movie theater on-site for game shows and screenings. I've been going to this for almost 15 years now, and it's still my favorite annual con.

The on-site hotel rooms are way nicer than they have any right to be, and all of the indoor gaming spaces are air-conditioned.

If you're within a few hours' drive of Birmingham, I unreservedly recommend checking it out. Last I checked, a few rooms are still available.

Disclaimer: I volunteer for this con but am not monetarily invested in any way; I just want to share it with more folks who would enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Dr. Quarex posted:

I see all of the recommended conventions trom the last few posts have already passed for the year; tragic. Well except Play On Con, which totally sounds awesome.
It's my favorite event of the year, hands down. It's not the biggest con on the block, but it has an amazing and welcoming community. I'd love to see some goons show up one year, especially folks who like to game but are willing to get out of their comfort zone and try some of the crazier stuff the con does. There's the annual table-flipping contest. Room-scale Wiz-War. Johann Sebastian Joust with pool noodles. This year there's an honest-to-god science fair. It all starts tomorrow and I'm super excited.

Another fun con series I haven't seen mentioned is Atlanta Game Fest. They hold three events per year, and it's literally just a four-day weekend of open board gaming. No scheduled events, no shows, no vendors' room (though there is a flea market event open to all attendees). They don't even have a con-owned library; everyone brings their own collection, and somehow the place ends up with hundreds of games to play, including brand-new stuff. I've been going to these for over a decade now. If you want a weekend marathon of board games with fun, chill people, I can't recommend it highly enough.

There's normally a Game Fest event in the fall, but their most recent hotel got sold and the new management is awful, so they're scrambling to find a new venue in the next few months.