Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
From the time our beloved dead forums first took shape, gaming conventions have gone from a sizeable niche weirdo thing to a colossal niche weirdo thing. 15 years ago we were still struggling to get a dozen posts in a thread for attending Gen-Con, but now we have a virtual Goon Army attending every year and spending the rest of the year making fun of each other in Discord. For historical consideration, the last iteration of this thread I remember was in 2013, though so many things have changed since then in terms of gaming convention proliferation and annihilation that I imagine the current crop of hot tickets looks totally different.

The point is, for as much attention as Gen-Con or Dragon Con or even the various PAX conventions have garnered over the years, it is still fairly unusual for subnational gaming conventions to get any discussion outside of occasional mentions in the Traditional Games chat thread, and that is JUST SILLY! Especially since I know people are going to, and in some cases even helping organize, these cool-rear end events. I was on the fence for whether Origins counted for this thread until WerrWaaa mentioned looking forward to me making this thread for the very reason that he wanted to talk about it, so Origins is clearly the "biggest convention we are talking about here" cutoff point (I think they average 15,000 on a good year). Also incidentally my source for suddenly believing this thread was possible, FanCons, has a lot of dates at least a little wrong, so it is worth double-checking anything you discover there.

Conventions I hear are cool and am attending myself to start us off:
June 3-5: PopCon Indy
June 8-12: Origins Game Fair (Columbus, Ohio)
June 24-26: Planet Funk Con (Quad Cities, Iowa/Illinois)
July 7-10: Fan Expo Chicago
October 20-23: GameHoleCon (Madison, Wisconsin, record holder for worst convention name)
March 23-26: Gary Con (Lake Geneva, Wisconsin)
May 18-21: Geekway to the West (St. Louis, Missouri)

Summer is also a great time for conventions, so this thread is seeking to strike when the iron is hot and build up some throbbing, heaving passion for discussing either your favorite smaller gaming convention or for getting recommendations on conventions actually worth attending despite their small stature. What are people's preferred conventions that are not Gen-Con or Dragon Con? If they are in the Midwestish, I might even go to them! Any convention with enough tabletop gaming to warrant mention in a show description counts for inclusion here, even if from the name you might not guess it belonged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am going to respond to my own drat thread immediately for an example of posting about a convention you want to hype, since I want to do that very thing:

I have only tried out about 15 conventions in my life so far, but for my part I must say Gary Con stands out for its perpetually astonishing juxtaposition of manageable size and BIG STAR POWER (if you are at all into 1970s/1980s gaming, anyway). You cannot walk 10 feet in the Grand Lodge at Lake Geneva without running into an ex-TSR (the real one) employee or Gygax family member, and there are things happening there every year that boggle the mind. For example, this year I played in a game of Braunstein run by the original author, the game that infamously in the late 1960s led to Dave Arneson wanting to run his own iteration of it, called Blackmoor, and eventually becoming Dungeons & Dragons.

David Wesely wrapped up our session by telling a good 30 minutes of stories about the Minneapolis gaming crew that half-kickstarted the entire RPG world as we know it, and since a big part of why I love gaming conventions is collecting memorable experiences, Gary Con is always good for that.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fellis posted:

I’m going to enhance this series of OP posts by compiling a list of smaller cons that goons attend, roughly when, and where. If people want their username listed as a “willing to meet goons” let me know!

PAX Unplugged - Late November/Early December - Philadelphia, PA - Fellis
Hello it is I, the original poster, who opened this thread on his laptop and then packed it up and forgot about it for the next week and now here we are

I am always willing to Meet Goon(tm) and am going so far (I need to check the convention calendar post-Gen-/Dragon Con one of these days) to

Origins Game Fair - June 8-12 - Columbus, OH - DOKTA Q-REX
Planet Funk Con - June 24-26 - Quad Cities, IL/IA - Hello
Fan Expo Chicago - July 8-10 - Chicago, IL - But I will have my 5-year-old with me so my willingness may not be hugely useful

nesbit37 posted:

Dexcon
Double exposure
Metatopia
Did you merely mentioning these three conventions cause them to retroactively cease to exist?

I am also bummed you are not going to Origins, given last time we both went I think I somehow did not know you were there and otherwise I am only now finally all-in on Origins due to the VIG program and me being dumb

WerrWaaa posted:

Omg I'm in the OP *freaks out*

But for real I am going to Origins for the first time and need gaming / drinking buddies. I go to Gen Con every year but don't really hang with goons because I have so many off-forum friends there. That's my only frame of reference for a game con and I'm already confused by the events list. The only ticket I got was Pint & Play so sign up for that with me thanks.
IMMA DM U

Bucnasti posted:

LA specifically has Strategicon which is a smallish convention that takes place three times a year (it used to be three separate conventions) at a hotel near LAX the next one is this weekend but I'm not attending.
Is the existence of only 12 events for Strategicon in September indicative of its size or is that just because events trickle in constantly until the event happens?

It really is weird that gaming conventions on the West Coast in general are not bigger. This must have something to do with wargaming falling into the category of "winter activity"

nesbit37 posted:

If anyone wants to see what some of these cons are like I suggest you check out TheOneTar on youtube. They do video series on some of these, including:

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheOneTAR/playlists
Thank you, I totally forgot about TheOneTAR despite being thrilled to discover her initially (I imagine you probably told me about her before, too) since it makes no sense there are not way more people like Nelly who do in-depth video breakdowns of our beloved convention scene, given how even more niche subjects often have videography projects

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I see all of the recommended conventions trom the last few posts have already passed for the year; tragic. Well except Play On Con, which totally sounds awesome.

Funzo posted:

Almost forgot, I wanted to second the recommendation for GameHole Con. It's a great local con that has a solid board game presence, and hits way above its weight for D&D Adventure League events. They usually have a long list of industry special guests too
They apparently are trying out a new registration system this year, the first year I am going, where your wishlist is processed and you have 20 minutes to purchase it, but if someone else buys their ticket sooner then your ticket reservation disappears. I... I am not sure who thought this was a good idea

WerrWaaa posted:

I really want to go to Adepticon some day but my commitment to mini games really waxes and wanes. Hard to justify if I'm not deep in a game. :/
Just be like me and have basically no interest in gaming!!! Wait, that sounds strange. I realize not every convention is an inherently fun environment if you are not primarily there to do some gaming. Has anyone here actually been to AdeptiCon to know whether it has a good vibe? Well, and recently I guess, as clearly Nesbit37 likes it but also has sworn an oath of vengeance against that first-place tournament finisher

Midjack posted:

Washingcon is a small DC area tabletop con that is fairly new. MAGfest is the gorilla in the DC area; though its focus is more on video than tabletop it has a healthy tabletop scene.
Huh, another convention (Washingcon) taking place during Gary Con. How dare there be regional competition for regional conventions?!?! Though Adepticon running at the same time as Gary Con still makes no sense given it is like 90 minutes away. Kind of like some big moron is responsible for C2E2 being at the same time as Gen-Con this year. I remember thinking surely nobody would be attending both but apparently there are indeed people coming for Thursday/Friday of Gen-Con then going to C2E2 for the weekend. These people are objectively dumb of course, since that means they will miss T.O.V.A.

Siivola posted:

Hey Fingoons, who's hype for Ropecon? It doesn't get more regional than this! :finland:

They got Avery Alder and Vlaada Chvátil!
drat, a bilingual pun convention name, we will never catch up with Finnish gaming technology

I definitely have visions of spending my first year of retirement going to gaming conventions on every continent. Every continent, Antarctigoons.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Fellis are you going to do the thing you claimed you are doing you monster, I could do it in the first post instead if you like

Just found out about a convention that is in a place I never would have guessed could support a convention: La Crosse, Wisconsin! Coulee Con!. It is not like next door but it is definitely close enough that I feel it is in the spirit of this thread for me to check it out and see what the hell its deal is, though I am not sure if I can actually go without bringing a young child with me which would kind of limit my options. Maybe there will be a really good McDonald's next door to the convention center I can bribe him with

John Romero posted:

they should sell passes that just allow access to the dealer area
This is only tangentially related, but has anyone here been to a convention with a "ghost con/lobbyconning" issue? I was going to say that having this option might cut down on people claiming they cannot afford to attend, but then again, why would they be interested in buying things if they are too poor to attend in the first place

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I've always heard about people lobby conning Gen Con but I've never actually seen it happen. Maybe I've interacted with them in the past and just didn't realize they were badgeless and just hanging out in a hotel lobby or whatever. I don't get the concept personally, even if you are a local. Just go to the convention already. I don't know what they get out of it, but then again I am a big old introvert and don't get joy out of just talking to random people.
I think this is what intrigues me so much, it is like a thought process exclusive to hyper-extroverted gamers of the sort I have barely ever encountered in person. I still remember the year we somehow got talked into allowing someone's broke and mostly insane girlfriend to stay on the floor of our hotel for free, but at least her partner bought her a badge?

Then again, if you can pull it off, I guess in some sense it is perfectly logical to hang out for free in the hallways and play games with strangers? I mean, that is at least technically part of what we are paying for, even if that is like 0.04% of why I personally attend

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I suppose I should update the original post huh, nobody likes those opening posts that stay stuck. Or maybe I should just make a new post like that occasionally? Hmmmmmmmm

Fellis posted:

I will be there all weekend!
Was it as fun as 2017? Truly can anything be as fun as watching people play a boardgame based entirely on currency trading

Frozen Peach posted:

Geekway Mini is this weekend! If you're one of the few here come say hi. :D

Will trip report in a couple days.
I imagine it was good stuff but I do appreciate any write-ups of various conventions, especially if they can actually impart a sense of uniqueness. I realize not every convention can sound unique even if it is; I imagine there is a very friendly and close-knit vibe at the Geekway shows given how prolific they are?

Definitely looking forward to Gary Con as usual, even if my new job may end up meaning I have to skip the liminally regional Origins. But I should have time to go to GameHole Con again this year.

Speaking of: Now that I went to :siren: GameHole Con :siren: and got to experience what the GameHole actually is, I have to put it up there with Gary Con in terms of conventions that have way more going on than you would expect from the size and relative newness. Not a huge surprise, given Wisconsin is probably as close to roleplaying ground zero as you can get (apologies to Minnesota), but it really is funny that you can go to relatively small conventions here and constantly like recognize people from your old issues of Dragon Magazine. I do not think I said more than "oh hey!" to Ed Greenwood, but I probably bumped into him on three separate days, and it will always be fun to think about how the guy responsible for such a substantial amount of what people think of as the D&D world is not even that old yet and just hanging out being a nerd at conventions. Realistically the Forgotten Realms are a much bigger part of what my mind thinks of as "a fantasy world' than even Middle Earth, as questionable as that may be, so it is always nice to be able to see the creator still doing his thing and remember just how recent this history is, even as someone born after D&D was created of course.

Oh but even beyond that aside, I would definitely recommend GameHole Con on about the same level as Gary Con honestly, as both have a lot of available space and thus a lot of games running in a variety of genres (and both have respectable vendor areas, albeit still tiny compared to the big leagues; I did pick up some sweet Beadle & Grimm stuff at GameHole Con I do not think they were carrying at Gen-Con). Though you are likely going to run into even more gaming luminary-types at the latter if that is a big draw for you. Do we call everyone "influencers" now? Anyway, I also like how GameHole Con takes place at a proper convention center so parking is effortless, though of course that may change if it grows too much. But it sure beats how Gary Con's parking is permanently full from before the convention begins, though that might be my aversion to shuttles making it a bigger deal than it is.

Also I went to Planet Funk Con and it was, in fact, a convention. Not really a gaming convention, though there was plenty of that going on. Other than getting pictures with the Godfather I probably would have forgotten most details of my time there already. Everyone I was going to attend Fan Expo Chicago with backed out because they were not requiring masks or vaccines so I am sure my VIP badge had a great time by itself in the envelope

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I am mostly in here to say I am on the planning committee for a new regional con just outside of Philadelphia. January 5-7. 2024 we're going to hose the Philadelphia Area Gaming Expo. Its being run by a guy named Ron who did a lot of local cons in the 90s, and I am helping out with it in general but also a lot with the D&D Adventurers League part of the con. It is time to not just be part of the con but to BE the con! Quarex should be excited because the convention is also going to feature an auction that should be pretty good. I don't know if it will rival Gamehole con's as far as collectible stuff it gets but it should be good. Ron, myself, and several others are pretty big into the game collecting world so hopefully we get good stuff.

Here is the event page for the con if anyone is interested: https://www.facebook.com/events/854102116024015
You mean... the PAGE page I see

I see MAGFest has not announced its 2024 dates yet, which ... I guess is not weird, but seems weird to me, as I try to decide whether there is any chance I would make it to this. I guess ideally they are back-to-back weekends and I just go crazy and go to both! Fake edit because I took a long time making this post: oh no Fellis has crushed my dreams already :smith:

nesbit37 posted:

I have all kinds of opinions on Gamehole Con vs Gary Con and such (they're both great cons but are also rather different from each other IMO) if thats a discussion people want to have.
Bring it on!!! What you got?!? NOTHIN

I definitely enjoy Gary Con's vibe more; finally attending Dragon Con last year helped me realize that I definitely have room in my heart for more hotel-based conventions. I do like a nice wander around a convention center now and then, but I would really ideally like to alternate between types of venue with every convention I attend.

I also realized I am probably more into the act of attending conventions than experiencing what is actually happening at the convention, but that is my own issue to come to terms with and how dare you bring it up

Admittedly GameHole Con might have been less amazing to me if I had not been able to actually see The Game Hole itself, as my cartophilia combined with actually being face-to-face with the original map of the Forgotten Realms meant I established a core memory before the convention even started. But I liked that convention's system highlighting games being run by their creators or by special guests as a different category, as I think it lends itself to increasing attendance from said guests. Maybe that happens just as often at Gary Con, but other than playing Braunstein with David Wesely, which admittedly was absolutely a highlight of my gaming life, I do not remember seeing many other games run by luminaries (Luke Gygax notwithstanding).

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

Still, Gary Con feels like a family con to me. It’s the whole Gygax family, plus the old TSR family. The games all take place in one hotel complex which makes it feel nice and tight and a lot more welcoming than a more traditional convention center like where Gamehole is. The con also goes pretty late, and you can have no problem still staying up and chatting or even gaming with people in the hotel bar after your last game gets out at midnight. It’s care to gaming history is also special to me. The wargaming room they keep there complete with sand table is great, and you get to play Wargames you probably would never play anywhere else. There are also a lot of, albeit mostly TSR, games from the 80s and earlier run regularly which I like a lot as well. I don’t know how much of this will persist as the old timers start to die off but for now its a great con, and how old everyone is getting is part why I am super bummed to not be able to make it this year.
You know, the late-night socializing differential had admittedly not occurred to me, so I can definitely imagine that tipping the scales for me towards Gary Con by itself. Very related is that I have never successfully stayed on-site at the convention, either because I was only going for a day back when it otherwise would have been possible or of course now because you just do not get to stay on-site unless you are some sort of MANIAC or Nesbit37. I do look forward to this year, though, as I diversified my hotel portfolio and discovered if I do not exclusively stay at Hiltons that there are hotels, you know, like less than a mile away to stay at, rather than having to drive 20 minutes. So I will probably be more willing to sit around and do whatever in the evening this year just from that.

I did not quote the Hollywood influence stuff but that is really interesting, particularly as clearly Luke just inherited Gary's fame gene and followed a weirdly similar path of growing D&D's asociation with pop culture (though much more indirectly or unofficially, obviously, with this generation not actually being involved directly with the company making the game). I certainly hope we have seen the last of Satine Phoenix until she divorces Chiseled Steve or whatever his name is and claims of course all the abuse and trauma was all him, I swear, and manages to work her way back into slightly more good graces

Golden Bee posted:

Is there a master list somewhere of all the online cons?
That is a good question, and I definitely saw something along those lines in, you know, 2020, but I wonder if its curation was continued after non-online conventions started returning?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
drat I want to go. It seems like I have so many more weekends free than usual this year yet somehow never on the actual weekends I can go to gaming conventions :cry:

I should really post about the like three conventions I snuck off to in the last month though. If I knew what we were using instead of IMGur I might have posted some photos already

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Origins 2023 was definitely less catastrophic than Origins 2022, even with the VIG absurdities. Actually specifically because of them I suppose, on my end; last year the VIG benefits were mostly lost on me, and I just ended up giving most of the swag to Goons at Gen-Con, whereas this year they basically failed to procure swag and thus refunded almost the entire extra cost of VIG beyond a normal badge, but as I had enjoyed the early Exhibit Hall access, got to eat for free at evening mixers both Thursday and Friday, and liked the shirt more than last year, it basically felt like I came out ahead overall, normally a rare feeling at Origins.

Plus drat the new Hilton towers are basically double the height of anything else in Ohio and I never got sick of returning to my 27th floor view of basically the entire metropolitan area

But yeah overall you could tell they were trying to rizz up Baby Gronk to be the new Drip Kingimprove everything this year, and I appreciate that they are aware they should make efforts to appeal to attendees. But yes it remains to be seen whether they gain attendees for a few years in a row and then suddenly lose about half of them, as that seems to be the pattern.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Holy poo poo three new posts and two of them are about conventions I know nothing about (and I only know about PAGE because I speak with Nesbit37 on the Astral Plane in addition to the Forums)

Completely based on nothing at all I wonder if Lorcana is staying so big that they are adding a new show based on its strength alone (I mean in conjunction with the other stuff they ostensibly do at this trading card convention). There are few conventions I would not recommend checking out for shopping, honestly; I cannot say that I have ever been to one and been like "oh, that dealer room sucked" except for some early year Gary Cons and that was really not why anyone was attending anyway

Ugh I absolutely want to and even SHOULD go to Midwinter Gaming Con given I am only a few hours away, a shame I am busy Friday night through Sunday night. Hey wait a minute though, what the hell is going on with this convention

"Convention Admission ONLY, Waterpark passes are purchased separately"

And it starts Thursday morning but the Exhibit Hall does not open until Friday, HMMMMMM I could actually go and maybe game Thursday and then check out the Exhibit Hall on Friday before escaping back to the safety of the other side of the Mississippi

And I see when buying your badge you can add a buffet breakfast on Friday morning to it for $15, that is my kind of add-on

poo poo thanks for posting about these conventions everybody, I now tentatively have MGC on my list and am trying to send my podcast co-host to the one in Philadelphia

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I might be in Chicago starting like the exact moment that convention ends, let me know if you are sticking around, haha

My current plan is to try to go to at least one convention a month, which has been going great as I have not been to one since October. But I have a handful coming up certainly:

* Winter Fantasy, Basically Just D&D in Indiana this weekend

* GamiCon in Iowa and/or PlatteCon in Wisconsin, as both are like 90 minutes from me, the weekend of MagicCon

* EverCon in scarily rural Wisconsin the first weekend of March, solely to go to a convention in a place that barely looks like civilization on a map

* Founders & Legends in mid-March and of course leading directly to

* Gary Con!

I think after that I will end up not being able to go anywhere in April but hopefully my overabundance the previous two months will help mitigate that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hey I emerged on the other side of babiez with more con-drive than ever, it can happen to you too!