Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Dr. Quarex posted:

May 18-21: Geekway to the West (St. Louis, Missouri)

Geekway is great. I'm on the board of directors. Been going for the past ~10 years.

They created Play and Win, which is an event where they have a library of games you can check out, and at the end of the con those games are given away to people who played them. It's awesome. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

There's a basically 0% chance I'll be able to go to any conventions beyond Geekway 2023 and Geekway Mini 2023 (which is sometime in January/February... i need to get the exact date so I can update the website :negative: ). I'm really bummed I'm missing Origins and Gencon this year :(

Next year will hopefully be better

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Geekway Mini 2023 tickets went on sale today. It's a ~400 person convention in early January in St. Louis and it's a great time.

https://tabletop.events/conventions/geekway-mini-20231

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Geekway Mini is this weekend! If you're one of the few here come say hi. :D

Will trip report in a couple days.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Geekway to the West is next week! I'll be there all weekend and my first published game design, Heckin Hounds, will be on the Play and Win shelves! Come say hi!

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I forgot to post Geekway Mini details and now it was months ago, and I legit barely remember what I did last week let alone back in January. It's been a year y'all.

Note: I'm on the Board of Directors, so this is a slightly biased post. I started going to Geekway in 2012, and joined the board in 2018.

I'm going to post a whole lot of words about Geekway to the West in general though. It's literally my favorite board game convention, and no convention I've been to has the same feel. When it says it's Four Days of Peace, Love, and Board Games, it means it. That's all it is. It's four days of board games. Not four days of tangentially related hobbies. Not a massive vendor hall full of tangentially related wares. Not an auction of tangentially related objects. It's four days of board games.

Not that conventions of tangentially related hobbies are bad. They're just different.

Geekway is a convention where you can spend the entire four days doing nothing but playing games you've never played before, and not feel like you've missed out on anything. The star event of Geekway is the Play and Win collection. This year we have 109 individual unique games on Play and Win that you can check out, play, return, and have a chance of taking home at the end of the convention. Sure, you may have heard of Play and Win before, but I'm not lying when I say Geekway invented it.

Here's this year's list:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/312080/geekway-2023-play-and-win

You'll notice it's full of bangers. The board hand selects the cream of the crop to have something for everyone on play and win. Odds are at any point during the convention you'll be able to find a game on that list available to play. (There are 6 copies of each game available throughout the convention) Sure, if your heart is set on playing one individual new hotness from start to end of the convention that's going to be hard without your own copy, but branch out a bit!

If that's not good enough for you, there's a curated library consisting of just about everything you'd ever want to play at a convention.

The vendor hall is small and intimate. Sure, I could spend all day in there talking to people, but there are board games to play.

There are no RPGs (unless someone for some reason brings their own and has people to play it)

There is no Magic the Gathering (i don't think I've EVER seen someone break out a commander deck)

If you're a designer? The St. Louis design community is one of the best. From big names like Stonemaier to individual indie designers just getting started, Geekway is a great place to connect. The only event I sign up for and schedule is Prototype Row on Friday Night. Sure, there are other events if you want them, but that's not me. We used to do a design contest, but COVID kind of ruined that. It's something I want to bring back, but I'm not sure in what capacity or how to make it happen yet.

Often times I'll just grab one of my prototypes and set up at a table, put up a sign, and players find me. Other times I'll just sit at a table with my close friends and join whatever Play and Win selection they recently pulled out of the Play and Win library. Sometimes I'll just wander the hall and take it all in.

This year I'm sure I'll be spending an inordinate amount of time looking for people playing Heckin Hounds. I'm so excited that it made it literally two weeks before the convention. It's like a dream come true for me.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

So I'm looking for Fool! and if it were in the right place, it'd be in a box of small box games near the top, and I knew right where that box was. So I check there, and of course I didn't put it away that would be silly. So I have to figure out where I would have been the last time it got played, and depending on where/when the last time it got played was is what unsorted pile of games it'd be in.

And of course I had to go through 4-5 piles in random places throughout my house before I found it and figured out where it was.

Rinse and repeat as I find the specific games that I intend to bring for the convention.

This is how I prep for the night before Geekway.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Geekway Mini is happening next weekend (sadly not this weekend) and I couldn't be more excited. I've spent the last 4 months rewiriting the entire backend of our play and win system, library, and attendance systems, and added a bunch of new features. We just finished setting up the new production environment, with proper CI/CD pipelines and the whole works. Everything is deployed in docker containers on AWS ECS. We have logging and status monitoring in place. It's very fancy.

Our previous convention software was written 8 years ago and started showing it's age, especially when it crashed during Geekway to the West's busiest day last year for 8 hours. Effectively because of the haphazard way everything was previously deployed, and thankfully these new pipelines and logging and everything will make sure that won't happen anymore.

Also: Geekway to the West 2024 Patron badges go on sale tomorrow.

Hotel Patrons get in the hotel block and get some extra swag. So if you want to come to Geekway in May and stay in the attached hotel, you basically need a Hotel Patron badge. We're expecting to sell out tomorrow for those, but regular attendee badges go on sale next week.

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Geekway Mini is this weekend and we just finished setting up the library for the weekend. This is just the play and win collection. We have over 2000 games total.