Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I like north army fortifies, but instead of going for a suicide mission, let’s airlift south army into the Turrets map.

That way we can get that tech (which will work nicely with Engineering), and also get the South army to the front lines in one fell swoop. We’re not big enough to worry too much about needing it in the next couple turns anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

TeeQueue posted:

I like north army fortifies, but instead of going for a suicide mission, let’s airlift south army into the Turrets map.

That way we can get that tech (which will work nicely with Engineering), and also get the South army to the front lines in one fell swoop. We’re not big enough to worry too much about needing it in the next couple turns anyways.

I like this option.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

TeeQueue posted:

+1 to this.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Strategic Sage posted:

Also, did they really sit there with Hive Shells and think 'hmm, out of the one hives we have left, which ones should we protect? Yep, definitely going to protect none of them!'

ha, yup. i've found that happens on maps with fewer hives. i'm hazarding a guess that that's a feature and not a bug and is to make the early game not quite so devastating.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Was about to run the next turn, but just as I was about to launch the attack I realized I missed something:

Humans cannot Airlift with impunity. It costs 2 TACTICS POWER to do so. We currently have 4. Currently the votes are leaning towards "Fortify North" and "Airlift South into Turrets". Every still good with that turn?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I think we should recoup one of them if we win the fight, so still seems good to me.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Sally posted:

Currently the votes are leaning towards "Fortify North" and "Airlift South into Turrets". Every still good with that turn?

I'm cool with it. Let's get with it!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

TeeQueue posted:

I think we should recoup one of them if we win the fight, so still seems good to me.

Actually, that raises a pointing was wondering. How do tactics points restore?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Win battles! A standard battle nets us +1 research and tactics points.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Planetary Campaign, Turn 02

Turn 2 posted:

Actions:
Northern Army, Fortify
Southern Army, Airlift x3 Hive w/ Turrets

Alright, second battle is already ramping up enemy defenses some. Aside from the three hives of varying spawner and turret defenses, we also have some random static defenses strewn about :

Based on how the map has generated, two or more hives next to one another is always potentially a headache. At this point it's far too early for it to be more than a minor annoyance. There's no persistent mutators active to counter our current tactics and they'll be our first targets so the enemy won't have a chance to spawn temporary mutators for the round fast enough to stop us. The bigger concern are the static defenses... We have no proper abilities, weapons, or soldiers that can attack from a long enough distance to avoid being shot by those turrets.

That one closest to us is more of a potential danger since it can respawn turrets and it's blocking the nearest hive (and thus source of more BP). Best I can do at the moment is send in the Airdrop troops as a distraction and hope my Shotgunners can destroy the respawner before the hives become a problem... which, as it turns out, works rather well.

So we do the same tactic. Send in the Airdrop troops as a distraction and attack from the south. I've also got a minefield placed (thanks Engineering!) to soften them up for my Shotgunners. This also works swimmingly and we take the point, getting a new mutation:

This one could be irritating... again, no weapons or tech with a long enough range to avoid being shot.

Fortunately that next line of armoured turrets and spawners don't respawn. Once down, these types of defenses stay down. It only takes a few more minutes to net the second hive and second mutation:

Ah, this is a nice mutation to get. Basically the game wasting a slot. With the "attack move" option there's no reason I should ever be stepping on mines. At worst, these just slow my advance and basic Riflemen dismantle them easily. No fuss here.

I have Turrets by this point, so I drop one in advance of the Airdrop diversion to take out some turrets. Impact isn't an issue for my troops if I take out the enemy turrets first. The match quickly wraps up and the enemy gets its first persistent mutation:

Ha, not a big deal. We're getting some lucky roles early on. Woohoo!

The bugs can have two persistent mutators active at any given time. These will be active at the start of every match from here on out, adding to the mutators they get with each hive lost. Only two max, so they swap out over time. Spore Mines is a nice easy one to counter.

Back on the campaign map, the nearby Mimic Nests patrol to a new region reinforcing the province with the Medic upgrade.

That province also buffs its defenses a bit.

Current state of the map:

Our available moves:

Western Army:

Northern Army:

Eastern Army:

We can also afford a new tech. No new tiers unlock, so same gear is available:

• Hologram Pod
  • Life Support
  • Medical pod
  • Mortar
  • Scout

Regarding the two new techs available for grab, Medic grants me the ability to make my soldiers medics (they have a slow-firing grenade launcher and can heal one allied soldier at a time) and Rockets lets my troops spend ammo to fire rockets. Great for taking down defenses and stripping hives of armour.

Please vote on what Research to buy and what Actions to take for Turn 3!

Sally fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 1, 2022

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Research: Medical Pod
Turn: Eastern Army Fortifies, Western Army Attacks

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Research: Medical Pod
Turn: Eastern Army Fortifies, Western Army Attacks to claim Rocket Tech.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Mortar
North army fortifies ,East army gets rockets

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

habituallyred posted:

Mortar
North army fortifies ,East army gets rockets

Isn't the Northern Army already fortified? Or do you have to fortify every turn?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Our earlygame offerings of Engineering/Turret/Mines means that Mortar feels like a natural follow-up, but that might be too many points of research into a single strategy this early... Medical Pod or Life Support to keep our soldiers going feels smart right now.

Having Eastern Army take Rockets seems like a good way to bring our soldiers up to parity with our machines.

Given that we're moving it out of our only unfortified territory, moving Northern Army to Eastern Army's current space should cover our flank from attack?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Eastern Army fortifies, Northern Army attacks overdose

I think we should try to take the +1 marine if possible

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

painedforever posted:

Isn't the Northern Army already fortified? Or do you have to fortify every turn?

For that order: If Northern Army fortifies, it'll add defenses to the currently barren square held by Eastern Army while simultaneously allowing for Eastern Army to attack.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TeeQueue posted:

Given that we're moving it out of our only unfortified territory, moving Northern Army to Eastern Army's current space should cover our flank from attack?
Armies cam stack on a provinces, so yeah, if we don't want to fortify this turn then we can move them over.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Infested Planet: Planetary Campaign, Turn 03

Turn 3 posted:

Research:
Medical Pod

Actions:

Eastern Army, Fortify
Eastern Army, Attack x2 Hive w/ Rockets

Based on the votes, we wind up with the Eastern Army doing all the work this turn. Which is fine! Actions don't tire out armies, so we can fortify and attack with the same unit.

We're once again faced with three hives, but new (and stronger) defenses have been erected:

First up, this hive north of our position is protected not only by a standard turret but by a mortar. Fortunately, it didn't spawn in range of our base (which is absolutely a thing that can happen). Mortars are long-ranged and powerful, but have a minimum range. If we can get in close, they're very vulnerable.

This here is a Guardian Nest. They spawn creepy bug clones of riflemen. If we get within their range, they will attack and pursue our soldiers. And they don't have the good graces to stand still while you shoot back--if you cause enough damage, they try to retreat to their spawn point to heal.

And this here is a spawner tower. They have a large range and will spawn a mass of specialized bugs if you get close. Generally these are armoured bugs or ranged bugs. Like the mortar, this fortunately hasn't spawned so close to our base that it instantly overwhelms us, but it's close! Both the Guardian Nest and the Spawner Tower need to go fast.

Fortunately, the Engineering-Turret-Minefield combo is excellent for removing isolated defenses like this. Turrets take time to knock out the armour protecting them, so mines can be helpful there:

The turrets I drop in activate the tower and we wind up getting a wave of spitter bugs. I leave my soldiers at the base so they can benefit from its healing.

The Guardians are taken out in the same way. The minefield I left has softened them up somewhat, so it doesn't take long.

The northern hive is my next target. I'm unable to call in an Airdrop to speed things up thanks to the minefields. They immediately destroy my first pair of turret drops and cost me ammo to start a rebuild. Once they're settled, though, they take the hive out fast.

The same tactic works on the southern two hives. Only because there are two the skirmish lasts long enough for my ammo to replenish and I can call in an Airdrop.

So far so good! First few battles have been nice and easy, but you can see how the enemy is quickly stacking defenses against me. In another turn the bugs'll spawn another persistent mutator. Depending on what it is, it could really shake up my tactics. Once the game gets going, the AI starts to get really good at counter techs and forcing you to switch up strategies.

Anywho, back on the global map our new defenses take a bit of damage, but nothing exciting happens.

We don't have enough tech points to buy any more research (I almost forgot again, but I remembered to buy the Medical Pod at the end of the turn), so we only need votes for what actions to take for turn 4.

Current state of the map:

Eastern Army

Central Army (Central seems a better designator than Northern now that our Western army is more northerly)

Western Army

Please vote on our actions for Turn 4!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Also, I've fixed the game audio for the Planetary Campaign videos. I realized I had it turned down in the game because I had been playing while listening to podcasts. Now you can hear the excellent music, death gurgles, and constant gunfire in all its glory!

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

I had a thought while looking at the map just now.

The circled area here is a chokepoint that cuts off the entire right half of the map. What happens if we just put an army on it and give up everything past it 'til we've captured the left half of the planet? Are there bug airdrops to worry about?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
The enemies don't do airdrops. Worth noting though that we may not want to capture all of the territories. All we need to do to win is get the strongholds.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Let's get at least one stronghold before they start ramping things up:

Eastern Army Fortify
Southern army airdrop next to +1 marine stronghold

edit: oops, it isn't
changed order VVV

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 4, 2022

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is airdropping onto enemy strongholds even possible?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Sally posted:

Airlift - Moves any one army to any location on the battlefield, except strongholds.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Northern army fortifies, central army attacks

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yah, bugs can't do Airlifts and we cannot drop right onto a bug stronghold--we can land next to one though.

Not enough votes for me to take action though. Please vote on orders for our units!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Since we have a source of healing we can probably make use of overdose now, claiming that sector doesn’t open up any new fronts for us to get attacked on, and takes us almost as close to the +1 marine stronghold without having to spend points on an airlift. I say north army fortified while the central army claims overdose.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Mzbundifund posted:

Since we have a source of healing we can probably make use of overdose now, claiming that sector doesn’t open up any new fronts for us to get attacked on, and takes us almost as close to the +1 marine stronghold without having to spend points on an airlift. I say north army fortified while the central army claims overdose.

This

We'd better get some variety in tech in case of rust

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Wasn't going to be a participant here, but it looks like we need more people to stop lurking so here we go.

I agree. I'm not excited about getting Overdose, but I don't have a better option and it's important to keep up the operational tempo so the dastardly bugs don't have a chance to regroup. I would take habituallyred's suggestion but we don't have Airlift available this turn.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Having the Medical Pod makes Overdose much more attractive, so yes, agreed.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Infested Planet: Planetary Campaign, Turn 04

Turn 4 posted:

Actions:
North-Eastern Army, Fortify
Central Army, Attack x4 Hive w/ Overdose

Maps are getting more complex! Good... good! Still, this isn't one that should give us too much trouble. Once again, there's a double hive near us that isn't too dangerous so we can knock it out before the bugs can stack mutations. A pair of turrets dropped in with engineering is all we need to take those down, keeping the soldiers back so we don't risk any dying.

When more bugs start dropping in from other hives and the extra spawners, we can afford to bring in an Airdrop to keep out turrets alive.

With the extra BP we get from the two hives, I can afford some a shotgunner and a medical pod:

Lets me be more aggressive! Woohoo! One thing I try to be careful of on harder difficulties is losing too much moral due to dead troopers. It's going to happen, but if I can minimize it then we'll stay mobile as an army longer. When morale is too low, we need to throttle down our defense building and attacking to resupply. Keeping troopers alive when bug turrets have poisonous shots means I have to retreat to a base to heal frequently--unless I have portable healing. I'm quite glad the thread voted for the med pod early!

Honestly at this point I already start to steam roll over the defenses. The remaining two hives go down fast and we get the win AND the Overdose upgrade.

Things are going to potentially get interesting next round--depending on the thread's move. The bugs spawn a second persistent mutation:

Ha, now these WILL slow down my progress as we don't have any fast immediate counters yet (i.e., the ones mentioned in the picture).

They also attack us on our eastern border. Defenses hold though.

At this point, the game's tutorial tips remind us that when cooldown on Resupply is up we can use it to restore morale. Using resupply gives +2 stars to each army. Currently, all three armies are at 4/5 stars.

Anywho, we need to decide our next turn...

Western Army

Central Army

Eastern Army

Oh, and we can also buy one of the following techs:
  • Hologram Pod
  • Life Support
  • Mortar
  • Scout

Vote on Turn 5's actions and tech purchase!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Tower spawner sucks. Let’s push towards the sniper stronghold to counter it. We have a rare opportunity here to both advance and not leave any openings even without fortifying, so let’s resupply the northernmost army and then claim triage.

Between medical pods and the triage we’re about to claim we’ve got enough healing, so for our research I think we need some more explosives to counter carapaces, brutes, etc., since we don’t have flame marines yet. Let’s go for mortars.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Tower spawner sucks. Let’s push towards the sniper stronghold to counter it. We have a rare opportunity here to both advance and not leave any openings even without fortifying, so let’s resupply the northernmost army and then claim triage.

Between medical pods and the triage we’re about to claim we’ve got enough healing, so for our research I think we need some more explosives to counter carapaces, brutes, etc., since we don’t have flame marines yet. Let’s go for mortars.

I like this idea, though I don't know what Triage does.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Mzbundifund posted:

Sounds good

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I'm a little confused about this proposal. Eastern and Central armies are both equally far north, and doesn't resupply work for all armies not just one? I say wait on that for another turn until more armies fully benefit from it.

I suggest researching Life Support, I don't think Mortar is all that helpful and I think it's definitely the best of the remaining options. I say Fortify Central so we can attack that way in the future if we want, agree with having Eastern claim Triage.

Yeah that's a lot of healing but I think Life Support is better value than the Medical Pod so it's still an improvement. And also important for what our intrepid LPer mentioned about not losing morale.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

TeeQueue posted:

I like this idea, though I don't know what Triage does.

I honestly don’t know, it just sounds heal-y and my main reason for going there is it’s a free tech that takes us closer to the stronghold that lets us get snipers. Snipers counter un-carapaced towers and spawner eggs really hard, which will be really nice since we’ve got a permanent tower spawner mutation to deal with. I also want to see if it’s possible to snipe the tower spawner-spawner which would save just so much trouble.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Almost forgot, since it's not on our current Tier of upgrades... but this is what Triage does in case that knowledge helps the thread come to consensus:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Sally posted:

Almost forgot, since it's not on our current Tier of upgrades... but this is what Triage does in case that knowledge helps the thread come to consensus:

Or in other words Sally can toss all of his marines at the hive in his attacks without fear of any of them dying and producing a morale hit. Especially since he likes to drop down to three at the start for the initial turret rush, so it can cover a full squad wipe even.

Strategic Sage posted:

I'm a little confused about this proposal. Eastern and Central armies are both equally far north, and doesn't resupply work for all armies not just one? I say wait on that for another turn until more armies fully benefit from it.

Correct. I agree we should get another fortify in.

life support, fortify Central, take triage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Strategic Sage posted:

I suggest researching Life Support, I don't think Mortar is all that helpful and I think it's definitely the best of the remaining options. I say Fortify Central so we can attack that way in the future if we want, agree with having Eastern claim Triage.

On second thought I’ll go with this one instead. We can still construct it remotely with engineering and that’s what really counts anyways right?