Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Voting for Central army fortifies, Eastern army captures Triage.

Can we save Research Points to buy something better a couple turns later or do we must buy one of those four research options?

Edit: Update last page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
With Engineering active any buff pod, defensive emplacement, and building can indeed be built remotely!

And yes, we can absolutely save Tech points for later. Each Tier is unlocked when we take an enemy stronghold, so we must knock out two to get access to all upgrades... outside of finding them as timed pickups in the provinces.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Voting to save tech points for later.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I demand to know more ...

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Speaking of wanting to know more, there's a new actual starship troopers game around.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I am back... got, uh, busy for a while there. Next round is recorded and I am quickly editing the screenshots. Going up momentarily.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Infested Planet: Planetary Campaign, Turn 05

Turn 5 posted:

Research:
Life Support

Actions:
Resupply Armies
North-Eastern Army, Attack x5 Hive w/ Triage

Alright, let's get that Triage!

Hmm, not the friendliest layout. Exposed to attack on three sides with a Bombard Hive right next door. Not ideal.

Thanks to the latest enemy mutation, they're going to send intermittent spawns of enemy towers. This ALWAYS happens right away, which is why we got hit by a rush first thing. After the initial rush, we get some breathing room. Super annoying but if you can get them while they're freshly spawned then they won't have time to grow armour.

As such, a group of Shotgunners makes short work!

I'm a bit slow to figure things out. I feel a bit rusty after the month off, plus I recorded this session a bit late--commander fatigue? There's that Bombardment Tower right next to our base. And up north in that minefield us our upgrade:

Regardless, I eventually decide to take out the Bombardment Tower forgetting one key thing about these types of enemy emplacements...

Once destroyed they are NOT actually dead. Instead, the bug that creates the tower pops out and starts to flee:

If you can kill it, then you can stop it from spawning more of that particular tower. If you don't... then, well, the tower comes back. As you can see, they drop temporary shields as they run in order to slow you down. Best way to kill them is surround them.

But like I say, I was a bit sluggish when I recorded this so it gets away...

With some breathing room by my base, I turn my attention northwards:

With the first tower down, the enemy gives me a hard counter:

Not much I can do against Brute Guards. Best way to disable them is either a flamethrower or some explosives. Since rockets can't target units, I can't hit them. I have no units with fire or explosive abilities, I have no explosive based emplacements, and I have no explosive commander abilities.

I do manage to knock down a second tower before the Brute Guards can do much. Also, you can see that Bombardment Tower at work here trying to poison my soldiers:

At the very least, I grab Triage. By this point, though, I'm not certain of my ability to win this map at this time.

Minefields made a dent on the shields, but there are too many Brutes for me to make much of a dent.

I take aim at those lone spawners down below since they're putting out Brute Guards now. However, in doing so my defenses up north can't hold back the bugs.

So I call it:

Our army loses a star in morale and can't be used for a couple of turns, but there's a silver-lining. The two hives I destroyed stay dead, so this x5 square is now a x3 square. Plus, I've secured Triage. It's ours to keep!

Pulling a Tactical Retreat doesn't actually end the turn. Since we didn't actually take the square, our last action doesn't count. If we want, we can still make a move with one of our other armies:

With our current forces, I'm going to say that x7 square is a bit of a gamble. I'll probably need to call in Spec Ops and burn through a bunch of Tactical Points to take it. That x1 and x2 w/ Infestation are easy targets though. I'd have no problem claiming either.

Or...

OR...

We can use some of our Tactical Points to Airdrop onto the Medic square. It's a x4 square with a Mimic Nest on top, so I may not be able to defeat it... BUT I could at the very least grab that last free upgrade.

You, the thread, decides!

Sally fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 22, 2022

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

SIGSEGV posted:

Speaking of wanting to know more, there's a new actual starship troopers game around.

Terran Command, yeah? Looks pretty fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnJ1ycOEAxw

Anyone played it yet>?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Sally posted:

Terran Command, yeah? Looks pretty fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnJ1ycOEAxw

Anyone played it yet>?

I have played it a bunch, it's good. The gameplay may seem a little "generic real time tactics" from the trailers and such but there's a solid focus on controlling lines of sight and fire, so keeping a tight leash on formations, blocking terrain and elevation is important, it has a slight napoleonic taste that way, a number of units play around with those limitations, mechs are tall and count as being one level of elevation higher, rocket troopers fire in an arc, snipers are also good recon and so on. Each troop type is distinctive and there's none I found to be useless or actually, genuinely, for real obsolete by the end of the game. Your troops tend to shoot on the closest screeching arachnid so you have to actively spot and target the big annoying ones, which on the one hand may be a little annoying but on the other hand actually makes perfect sense considering the UCF and such, also important since a specific enemy showing up requires significant tactical changes on the fly. The game also absolutely gets the Verhoven film and the FedNet videos are pretty funny, the fighting is fairly easy for the first part of the game and then runs in "yep, it's the Federation" when you do go through your pill bug looking armored fascist soldiers like the Brain Bug tosses warriors at you when the going gets tough. It's made me watch the movie again and it really does get better every time you watch it.

I liked it a whole bunch. Of course it's single player only, with a campaign and a pair of bonus missions, however the devs are working on more stuff for it as we speak. Or maybe they are sleeping, eating, living the rest of their lives right now, I don't know, I'm not spying on them. I'd like a little starship troopers: bug command as a treat.

Also gently caress Scorpion Bugs.

Also, and furthermore: go for broke.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 20, 2022

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Medic it up!

I would have liked the Starship Trooper demo much better if you could pick "favored foe" as a promotion to make snipers shoot the green spitters first. Only thing keeping my flank from taking care of itself.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hmmm.... You say gamble, but that puts us one square away from +1 marine.....

Go big or go home. Let's Spend some of those strategic resources on the 7 hive tile

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Tacdrop the Medics

We can probably afford to do that either way, and hey—free upgrades.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Phew! Tacdrop moves was successful! Rough fight... but I won it.

Had to take a phone call in the middle of recording it soI have to do a bit of editing though ha

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Infested Planet: Planetary Campaign, Turn 05-2

Turn 5, Part 2 posted:

Actions:
Southern Army, Airdrop-Attack
North-Eastern Army, Attack x4 Hive w/ Mimic Nests & Medic

Aw hell yeah!

Let's do this!

Not the worst set-up... they can only come at us from two directions here. This video is our longest one yet, by the by. 26 minutes long for this fight! I'll try to be concise here in the report if you don't want to scrub through the video log.

They hit hard right away, though. Match starts with four bug mutators... The Assassin Clones are the worst. The target one of your marines and go after them until they either kill them or die themselves--two riflemen clones and a sniper clone.

The Sniper Clone is the worst. I don't really have a great counter for it right now besides shooting rockets, but I'd rather save the ammo. There IS a bit of a cheeky trick I can do and I in fact remember it later on in the video: If you sell off the marine that the assassins are targeting the instantly dissolve having "destroyed" their target. I think they usually target your most recently bought marine? Maybe? My general tactics is to play with so few marines that it doesn't matter nor can I really tell, haha.

Regardless, initial rush over. I head towards the two hives immediately south, partly to knock out that first Mimic Spawn, but then so I can claim the Medic upgrade.

I knock out the first base but I don't immediately take it... see, I'm already having a hard enough time with the current mutators that I don't want to trigger any more just yet. If Brute Spawn pops up again, I'm worried I'll basically be screwed out of winning this mission. Though the extra build points would be useful, I want to wait till both of the towers are down and COMPLETELY cleared before I grab them. Just in case.

Of course I nearly lose my starting base just partway through the vid, ahh!

Bit of a struggle and I've lost a morale point by now, but I am eventually able to grab both in rapid succession.

I even grab the third hive relatively easily!

Of course, the next mutator is Rust which completely negates my Engineering+Turret strategy at this point. Rust makes structures extremely vulnerable to poison attacks, which means my turrets are just going to keep getting shredded and eating up my ammo.

Fortunately, we're late enough in the round that I'm able to switch tactics and field a solid mix of soldiers. See? I sometimes use bigger squads!

And with the ammo I'm saving not having to build turrets, I can start affording Troop Airdrops again. The tide has turned and at this point I'm on track to win. It only took 20 minutes and two morale stars to get to this point! :negative:

It does more or less steamroll from there. The bugs can't counter me anymore.

Woo! They don't list it if you win the mission, but I do indeed still keep the Medic upgrade for my troops.

Bug Movements:

We get our first Invader spawn this round...

An attack with x6 Hives coming from the easternmost Enemy Stronghold.

We also take damage to our westernmost square.

The game points out that we have a rare opportunity to kill off one of those wandering mutators. If we take that highlight square next round, we'll cut off and thus cause to wither and die that Mimic Nest from this round.

The danger is over extending our 3-star army.

Our moves:

Northwestern Army

Southeastern Army

Our Northeastern Army cannot be used for a couple of turns.

Sally fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 26, 2022

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Heck it! Take the risk.

As for our other move, can we use it to resupply their morale? If not... I really don't have any good ideas.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable

Sally posted:

The danger is over extending our 3-star army.
Nonsense! Make a mad Dash to Rend ar enemies :getin: Off with their heads! :black101:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TeeQueue posted:

Heck it! Take the risk.

As for our other move, can we use it to resupply their morale? If not... I really don't have any good ideas.

Resupply is on cooldown for two turns :negative:

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
Fortify with NW army and cut off the mutator with SE army

3* isn't great, but i think the SE army would otherwise be safe even if you lost another 2* and we can reinforce next turn

edit: uh.... reinforce in 2 turns :dogstare:

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

Sally posted:

I think they usually target your most recently bought marine? Maybe?

FWIW, it's your most valuable/expensive. I.e. if you shotgunners and riflemen, it'll go after a shotgunner.

I say Fortify NW and while I'm ambivalent about it, go ahead and Cut off the Mimic Nests. This is starting to get spicy!

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 21, 2022

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Strategic Sage posted:

FWIW, it's your most valuable/expensive. I.e. if you shotgunners and riflemen, it'll go after a shotgunner.

This... actually makes so much sense. (Need to remember to make my most recently purchased marine always my most valuable unit...)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Infested Planet: Planetary Campaign, Turn 06

Turn 6 posted:

Actions:
Fortify North-Western Army
South-Eastern Army, Attack x3 Hive

Alright, let's do this!

Very simple map layout. This'll be over in a moment:

All it takes to grab the two hives to the south-east are a couple of turrets and some riflemen. In fact, it's so easy that I get complacent and almost don't notice that a Tower Spawner has taken out our starting base:

It only takes a moment to reclaim and I march on the enemy's last hive...

Woohoo! We've isolated that Mimic Nest and thus killed it.

But the bugs mutate this round... as mentioned earlier, they can only have two perma-mutators at any given time. They drop Tower Spawner and replace it with Brute Spawn:

Not ideal. We don't have a lot of proper counters for it. Mines can be somewhat used offensively with Engineering, but it's not ideal.

And of course, the AI isn't stupid so they immediately cut us off. Ha!

The Invader unit also starts its inexorable march towards our territory:

And lastly, the bugs get a harassment turn, so we lose our fortification entirely on this province:

We are indeed a bit vulnerable:

Very easy to reconnect, though. Either with our South-Eastern Army or with our North-Eastern Army which is once again active.

Still 1 more turn to go before we can Resupply or Airdrop, so please keep that in mind.

Our possible movements:

North-Western Army

North-Eastern Army

South-Eastern Army

Also, we have enough tech points to make another purchase if we so choose:

- Hologram Pod
- Mortar
- Scout

Not that I wish to overly influence the thread, but I will point out that the Mortar turret is a direct counter to the Brute Guards.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Doesn't feel like there is a whole lot to debate on this one. We need an answer to the mutation change and to reconnect that army.

Mortars, fortify the north eastern force, and have the southeastern army go after the two hive space

E: well shoot, there is a gap there. Amend that vote to the one hive space

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 23, 2022

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Not 100% sure attacking the 2 enemy spot reconnects us. But if it does Ditto.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
For clarification, if we go after the x2 hive space it will not reconnect us:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Okay then Mortar, move north eastern army south, have the trapped army breakout through the 1space

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
assumung thread is in accordance, i'll grab Mortar and close that gap tomorrow. been trying to wait for at least three votes before maming a move.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Mortar and crush the 1 hive that's boxing us out.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TeeQueue posted:

Mortar and crush the 1 hive that's boxing us out.

yeah do it mang

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, do the mortar thing, and reconnect your forces.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Infested Planet: Planetary Campaign, Turn 07

Turn 7 posted:

Research
Mortar

Actions:
North-Eastern Army, Move south to x3 Fortification
South-Eastern Army, Attack x1 Hive

Alright, you'd think a x1 hive would be an easy target, but now that we're several turns in the game is amping up difficulty. It spawns with a bombard tower and an infested bunker out front. Kind of annoying... the bunker especially.

Infested Bunkers will periodically spawn an infested marine that will chase down your own forces. Those aren't particularly annoying... but this one is right in the way of everything. Rather than just ignore it, I'm going to have to blow it up if I want to properly engage with the Brute Guards spawning. Unfortunately, when an Infested Bunker is destroyed, it bunch of different marine clones pop up to stop that kill from steamrolling... including Minigunners. Fortunately they die after a time as I don't have the firepower to fight them off.

As you can see:

the Minigunners spawn and almost immediately kill all of the Airdrop troopers and destroy all of my turrets.

Here is their health slowly ticking down. Fortunately, I didn't draw their attention to my base. Ha. That would've ended this attack pretty drat quickly.

With the bunker down, I go back to the Engineer strategy and drop some turrets by that Bombard Tower. They don't respawn their defenses, so I simply drop those so I don't have to deal with them while attacking the hive. The bombardments are trivial, so I can avoid those and not have to worry about chasing that bug down to kill the tower entirely.

When those towers are down, I go for the base.

Slightly more annoying than I expected. Thought this video would be.... like, two minutes tops. Ah well.

The bugs immediately move into the unprotected space. This DOES have a side benefit of spreading out their forces.

That x7 is now a x3 and a x4 respectively.

Some weak forces erode away at our fortifications and are now right up next to our stronghold. We only have the on stronghold, so this is something we shouldn't sleep on too long...

Our Moves

Eastern Army

We've got a lot of unfortified territory here. Also, our easternmost army is at 3 stars.

There wasn't a consensus on what to do with this army, so I went with the move order rather than the fortification as a fortification turn would've only bumped that 3 start up to a 5. This force is now in a slightly more effective fortification position or can be moved to support our easternmost army--our forces can stack on a single provinces.

There are some defenses to be concerned about, but this army is still the closest to taking an enemy stronghold and getting us some sweet upgrades...

Decisions, decisions...

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

fortify in the east. reinforce. Start burning those points to take out the x7 hives and leave us 1 attack from victory in the west

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Fortify east, resupply, attack 1 enemy in the west

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
fortify central army, attack the 7-hive w/ western army w/ the intent of taking out some hives and escaping before more than 1-2 lost morale. that said, if you think you can go for a win w/ western army and it'd be 3* morale loss then hell yes get some. there isn't an attack-army on that side of the map so even sitting at 1* isn't too big a deal

we get to reinforce *next* turn. let's make the most of it by having all the armies at least 2* down instead of the uh, less efficient use the last time we hit it. also we start whittling down that big

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

FoolyCharged posted:

fortify in the east. reinforce. Start burning those points to take out the x7 hives and leave us 1 attack from victory in the west

habituallyred posted:

Fortify east, resupply, attack 1 enemy in the west

I need further clarification here.

I can do two of these things. Fortifying takes one action. Reinforcing takes one action. Attacking uses up all remaining actions.

Dr_Gee posted:

fortify central army, attack the 7-hive w/ western army w/ the intent of taking out some hives and escaping before more than 1-2 lost morale. that said, if you think you can go for a win w/ western army and it'd be 3* morale loss then hell yes get some. there isn't an attack-army on that side of the map so even sitting at 1* isn't too big a deal

we get to reinforce *next* turn. let's make the most of it by having all the armies at least 2* down instead of the uh, less efficient use the last time we hit it. also we start whittling down that big

I can do Dr_Gee's order if we are indeed planning to play more aggressively with that x7 hive province.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Dr_Gee posted:

This is a good plan. I like this plan. Let’s kill our morale and then immediately bring it back up!!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
My bad. I wasn't totally sure this was the turn we could resupply. Fortify East, West attack 7 point army

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

habituallyred posted:

Fortify East, West attack 7 point army
I like this plan. Fortifying the central army doesn't save the region south of the eastern army.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I've got another Campaign Supplemental video ready: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvCuhOzHTUo

Figured I'd post it early... the next turn of Planetary Campaign will be up later tonight.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Two videos for this update!

quote:

Actions:
  • Eastern Army, Fortify
  • Western Army, Attack x7 Hive

I fortify with the 3 star army, bringing it down to 2. If we're resupplying next turn, I'm not overly concerned as the invader unit is still a turn away. It'll be safe. Worst case scenario, I can retreat.

For now, let's see how much damage we can do!

This is... not a bad situation for us. Only two routes to our base, we aren't immediately overwhelmed, we can easily control the choke points. Ha!

In fact, I'll say now: This mission is a win for us and the back and forth goes pretty well. This is easily the cheesiest, grindiest round I've played so far, but the mutations weren't really great at countering our attack and we were really able to just endure until each point became ours.

Fair warning, the video is half an hour long... you'll want to be scrubbing amply if reviewing the footage, haha.

First order of business is to weaken some of their defenses. With Engineering, I drop some turrets by these lone spawners and turrets to quickly drop them. The fewer bugs in a map this size, the better.

And thankfully this Mimic Nest is the only additional danger on the map and it's out of the way. I drop it next so that it doesn't become a problem and I can focus solely on what the hives throw at me.

Those down I make a move on the nearest hive. If I have the whole northern section, those two chokepoints are mine to control defensively.

From there, I take the eastern route. A single soldier is all I need at this time to hold our starting position while I expand.

This mutator is the biggest headache I get for this mission. The additional range one exacerbates it, but this one actually slows me down. When a hive goes down it temporarily pumps up the damage and aggression of all active bug turrets. They turn red and will target things they previously ignored--like my own turrets.

You can see it in action here as I go after the next hive. I neglected to wipe out all the nearby turrets before finishing it off and...

...they demolish everything in range almost immediately!

The counter for this is time. You just wait and they'll go back to their original state. Also: It only activates if the hive is fully active. It's freshly spawned then there's a brief window where a hive is a flesh blob that a single rifleman can drop in seconds. Once that window ends, its carapace goes up and you're at risk of activating Deadly Barrage. You'll see in the video, I just make sure to always drop hives while in their fleshly state and it minimizes how much I have to deal with the mutator.

At this point there are only four hives left.

I drop them at once, so I get two mutators in rapid succession. With a x7 map, they really start to stack up:

The vile tongues will be the most annoying part, but getting them this late in the match means their effect will be negligible. Frankly, I've really gotten off lightly this round.

Aaaaaagh, holy hell! Almost forgot that Vile Tongues as a mutator rush towards a base before burrowing down... and that they drop turrets that can be affected by Deadly Barrage.

A minor setback overall... but I have to wait for them to cooldown and revert to purple before pressing the attack.

My ultimate strategy here is the ol'Warhammer 40k "more dakka" option. Turret after turret, minefield after minefield. It's not elegant and I try not to lean on it a lot because it's not the most fun... but until we unlock Tier 3 upgrades, my options are a bit limited. So we make do.

Hell. Yes.

New persistent mutator. The bugs drop the useless Spore Mines and bring back the super annoying Tower Spawner. This could be an issue combined with Brute Guard... we'll see!

That x1 hive by our stronghold makes a harass move. Should be no problem, as we've fortified the region.

Wait...

what

the

gently caress

Well, then, this is new! I was not aware that if a stronghold and fortifications were on the same province that the bugs could ignore the fortifications. This is problematic. We are now in immediate danger of losing this game, haha!

In order to keep us playing, I am going to require the thread to Airlift one of our armies back to the base. You, the thread, pick which army goes back. Whatever you want to do with our remaining action is up to you, but we NEED a unit on our stronghold to stay in the game.

Else this LP may wrap up rather suddenly...

Sally fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
(note: i uploaded the wrong version of the Turn 8 video. i've got the correct one uploaded now and it should be done and processed for viewing in an hour and a half-ish)