Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
(video is now live and in glorious HD)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
as much as i wanna say "yolo the enemy stronghold then it doesn't matter if we lose the old and busted one we started with" i... can see how lucky we were with that 7-hive map and don't wanna count on lightning striking twice lol

i'm okay giving up on the eastern side of the map and consolidating on the west then pushing east. i.e., airlift the east army back to base if we can reinforce this turn then do that otherwise start whittling down the 7-hive stronghold with the west army

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Center army airlift, resupply Pretty sure that is our budget for the turn, but fortify the formerly central army if it isn't.

Edit: also have we unlocked tier two tech yet? Rockets are sounding pretty good right about now...

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 29, 2022

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

pull the central army and resupply

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

habituallyred posted:

Edit: also have we unlocked tier two tech yet? Rockets are sounding pretty good right about now...

oops, yes, we have unlocked Tier II! We need to take strongholds to get access to Tier III.

We DO have rockets, but they can only be used to target structures... not bugs:

Current Techs:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Two votes to move Central Army back to home base, and resupply.

One vote to move Eastern Army back, and attack the stronghold with the Western Army.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Sally posted:

One vote to move Eastern Army back, and attack the stronghold with the Western Army.

I like moving Central Army to home base, and attacking stronghold with Western Army. We didn't actually get our morale down to 3* with anyone like we'd planned to, so it feels like a good idea to see how much of a stronghold we can clear out for one morale star on that army.

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009

Sally posted:

Are we able to airlift the central army onto the bug army that attacked our stronghold? If so, we could protect all 3 provinces in the south west from future attack.

bpACH fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 1, 2022

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

bpACH posted:

Are we able to airlift the central army onto the bug army that attacked our stronghold? If so, we could protect all 3 provinces in the south west from future attack.

yeah! and thankfully that's what's been voted on, so we should be secure down there for now haha. video is uploading... post to follow...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Double-length video this turn--we get two battles for the price of one! After our attack turn, the Invader bug forces reach one of our armies and triggers a defensive battle.

quote:

Actions:
  • Central Army, Airlift to Primary Stronghold
  • Western Army, Attack x7 Bug Stronghold

First thing's first:

Defend our base!

Then we attack theirs:

Welcome to our first stronghold attack! Besides being more difficult on the whole, one of the defining features of these types of missions is a fog of war. As we clear off the map, it'll stay cleared--but we start entirely in the dark.

I AM going to use some of those sweet tactics points we've been saving up. We've only used them on the map to Airlift attack before, but they are also super useful in battles. In general, I'm a fan of using the Spec Ops team on stronghold attacks to improve my odds of winning.

The extra rifleman is nice, but the big win here is the Medic and Flamethrower. Medics are expensive (cost 7 points) and due to our loadout for this Planetary Campaign configuration, there is no way for us to get Flamethrowers by normal means. They rule at eliminating bug defenses, so this trooper will help counter the Brute Guard we've been getting thrown at us.

ha, and within' moments i'm really glad i used spec ops, holy crap, we're right beside a hive and the bugs are just tossin' everything at us

We lose a morale star in the first couple minutes of gameplay!

Not pictured: I fall back, respawn and respawn all my troops before going back on the offensive. When I finally have a grip on my immediate vicinity, I head south to take out that neighbouring hive.

Minefields are really saving my rear end here while I try to claim the second hive... and just poking out of the fog of war is a new type of hive! The kind that immediately grant the bugs a new mutator if you dare to destroy it or capture its connecting hive.

Yay.

I probe a bit further south but it's fairly well-defended there. Off-screen to the right you can see waves of rockets bombarding me--there's an infested flak cannon back there, the strongest human defensive turret. Gonna hold off on attacking this route.

I do destroy that mutator hive, though. Our base isn't so spread out at the moment that burrowing hives shouldn't be too difficult to fight off.

But seriously, gently caress that turret.

Given that we don't know what's behind there, attacking could just be throwing away all my troops and we're already down to three-stars.

Since we can effectively block off that route with some well placed mines and a turret, let's take a stab in this direction!

Ha, goddamn. Another infested turret. A mortar isn't quite as annoying, but it takes me a couple of tries before I break through.

Just gotta get close enough to hit it with a rocket...

Once I get through that narrow chokepoint, the next couple of hives fall pretty quickly. In fact, this area turns out to loop around like a horseshoe, so wiping them out eliminates the whole multiple fronts issue. Now we can focus southward and take out that flak cannon.

Mutators are really adding up, haha.

But since we're on the last couple of hives, we're well established enough that this last push shouldn't be insurmountable.

In fact, once I take out that cannon, the last two hives fall pretty quickly.

Hey! We did it! We have another Stronghold!

Bugs: 3 strongholds total; Humans: 2 strongholds total

Also, we now have an extra marine for every mission now. Woohoo!

The bugs counterattack and immediately cut off our new stronghold from the rest of our forces. This isn't a big deal because with the new stronghold, our cut off troops are still being reinforced. No need to worry about losing morale here.

Also, the bugs are just splitting their forces here, so it makes it easier for us to pick them off in this region.

More interestingly, we get attacked by invaders!

Because we have an army stationed here, we get to participate in a defensive mission.

For these missions, a number of static defenses are set up in a map totally controlled by human forces. Hives will spawn in randomly in one of the metal points on the map after a brief countdown. If you can keep up with the spawns, you'll generally do alright. If you can't, well... they keep spawning and spawning. If you get overwhelmed, it's better to flee.

Also, those bunkers will occasionally spawn troops to attack the hives. They are helpful but don't wander the map. They spawn and rush towards a target and will attack what's there. If the target is destroyed they just... stand around until they despawn. Eh, whatever, help is help.

First spawn is quick but then you get a minute between hives.

I hold off one using spec ops for this mission too, though the Flamethrower would be a huge help. Buncha rifles and shotguns aren't putting down the hives as fast as I'd like, though...

You can see the bunker spawns coming up in the bottom-left-hand corner of this screenshot.

I do lose a spawn at one point, but fortunately this attack feels pretty half-hearted on the bugs' part.

Once I get down to this corner the spawns stop and it's just a matter of trapping the bugs with mines and taking down the hives one-by-one.

Not bad for our ninth turn!

Our moves:

Northern Army

Southern Army

Eastern Army

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009

Sally posted:

yeah! and thankfully that's what's been voted on, so we should be secure down there for now haha. video is uploading... post to follow...

I meant drop it on top of the army attacking the stronghold.

Since fortifications don't protect strongholds, my vote is that the northern army attack the army to the southwest of it(×4 hive). Once done, hit the army to the east of that (x3 hive) if you can or attack the hive next to the southern army if you can't.

The medium term goal would be to clean the western side of the map up to the choke point in the west so that we can send one of our armies back to the eastern front.

bpACH fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 3, 2022

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

bpACH posted:

I meant drop it on top of the army attacking the stronghold.

ooooooooooooooooooh

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah, we totally could've done that too. I didn't even think of that, lol.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

bpACH posted:

Since fortifications don't protect strongholds, my vote is that the northern army attack the army to the southwest of it(×4 hive). Once done, hit the army to the east of that (x3 hive) if you can or attack the hive next to the southern army if you can't.

We can only do one attack per turn. Attacking ALWAYS uses up both our actions. Other actions, like Resupplying, Airdropping (if not an attack move), Moving, or Building Tactics Points all count for one action, so they need to be done before and attack.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I don't think resupply takes the entire turn so: Resupply, North Army takes out the 3. Then next turn we fortify everything.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yah, Resupply only takes 1 action so we can still make an attack.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Voting for resupply and southern army attacks the 1 hive.
The idea is to push the bugs away from our starting stronghold.

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009

habituallyred posted:

I don't think resupply takes the entire turn so: Resupply, North Army takes out the 3. Then next turn we fortify everything.

I agree.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
the opening of the first mission i was :staredog:. watched the vid first and then reading the captions was heartened to see that that was sally's response too lol. like hell ya taking that stronghold i legit thought it would be a hit-and-run

for the next move: resupply, northern army take out the 4-hive. a 4-hive shouldn't be a problem and it'll prevent combining w/ the 5 hive. would rather have an 8 than a 9

if southern stronghold seems at risk, start hitting 1-hives next turn

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It's been awhile since I played Infested Planet, does the Planetary Campaign have any unique tech, or is it all storyline technology? And are the various techs "fixed" in their tier listing, or can you have a situation where you're stuck with grenades being a tier 2/3-level tech, for example?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yeah, a couple of new things... i forget which, haha. most of the new weapons and gear come with the Trickster's Arsenal DLC.

The description for Planetary Campaign:

quote:

You've fought battles as a squad leader. Now become the general and win the war.

With this expansion, Infested Planet gets a new procedural campaign mode. Each campaign is different, with a randomly generated map and tech progression.
You pick which battles to fight. Are your troops too exhausted to take on an alien army? Should you throw them in for one last push? You get to decide.

Also expanding the game are new marine weapons, abilities, trickier alien enemies and an upgraded battle generator.

• Strategic Campaign Map
    Procedural Tech Progression
    3 New Weapon Classes
    3 New Enemy Types

i think the Minigunner, whcih sometimes replaces the Shotgunner, is from Planetary Campaign.

Here's Trickster's Arsenal description for comparison:

quote:

This expansion for Infested Planet gives you several new weapons to fight the bugs. Whether it's throwing cluster bombs into the alien swarms or calling in an airdrop, the power is at your fingertips.

The aliens also get new toys, so brace yourself for new opposition. Compete with others on the Ironman leaderboard and watch out for the new aliens and structures.

• 7 New commander abilities
    Improved Campaign
    Challenging Ironman mode
    Ironman Leaderboard
    New Mutator alien structure

and yeah, as far as i can tell, tech is all randomized. just booting up two new maps randomly have me these two setups:

also also, back from a holiday i took. was nice! now that i'm back i'm going to run the next map. expect an update soon!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

quote:

Actions:
  • Resupply
  • Northern Army, Attack x3 Hive

Resupply brings nearly all of our armies up to max morale:

I presumed this map would be pretty simple...

...but that cluster of spawner and protohive could be problematic.

Making headway proves to be somewhat difficult as I don't have a lot of breathing room here. Also, the Brute Spawners come down almost immediately from the northern hives.

Haha, yeah, they're not going to let up.

The spawner is full of the charging-exploding variant of bug. Not as bad as the spitters and easier to kill than the brute guard, but they make for an annoying combo on this particular map.

I take out that spawner first and hope to grab that adjacent hive. Honestly, though, I think this is where the map goes wrong for me.

Soldiers and turrets prioritize shooting at the protohive. I figure I can trap it between turrets and kill it off with a minefield... but no such luck. The bug gets away.

And in doing so, it makes the northern two hives even more difficult to get at.

Shiiiiiit.

The match, already dragging on at this point, drags on even longer. I'm on my way to losing a second morale star and the video is nearly half an hour long so I call it quits:

Still, killed two of the hives. Importantly, I wasn't willing to drain more morale for a prolonged fight. For now, our recent Stronghold acquisition remains cut-off.

It's still our turn, though. We can make an attack with either of our other armies or perform a second defensive action.

Oh, and I should note that we also have enough tech points to buy another bit of research if we please. Holograms and Scouts are available still:

What's our move, thread?

Sally fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 13, 2022

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Murder the 1 hive threatening our lower base. :black101:

Also, what do Scout and Holograms do?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i gotchu:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Save tech points, home base clearance Minigunners aren't exclusive to the planetary campaign. Basically the top of the line in vanilla. Never too impressed by the scout.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
oh whoops i misspoke there haha

Minigunners are indeed top tier offensive/defensive soldiers for the game vanilla or otherwise.

Guardsmen are a Planetary Campaign swap for the Shotgunner. Guarssmen have an LMG and a personal shield. They don't do crowd control as effectively as Shotgunners but the shielding means you dont have to worry about healing as much making them... well drat effective.

i believe the dev actually patched the game so you can swap the guardsmen and shotgunners in the main campaign...

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
i watched the whole vid and it's like i could feel your frustration pulsing through the screen on that one

save tech, attack the 4-hive w/ northern army -- i figure if we get it knocked out / hella reduced that'll be a big boost. feels like no matter what we do the nothern stronghold's gonna get opened up to attack at some point so reducing the total number of hives up there seems good

iirc i got right to where minigunners open up in the campaign and ya they're goddamn tanks

edit: if we end up w/ enough tech points to insta-buy a tier3 then get enough for a tier 2, get hologram. seems the better of the two w/ your play style. could see a use for scout in freezing the Big Bugs to buy time to clear other poo poo around it and prevent an escape... but ehhhh

Dr_Gee fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 13, 2022

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dr_Gee posted:

i watched the whole vid and it's like i could feel your frustration pulsing through the screen on that one

:stonkhat:

i couldn't believe it was getting stymied so hard. ah well.

(also, fixed video link... Turn 10 has been up on my channel for a few days, but I realize in the post i had linked Turn 9. whoops!)

also also, we can't move the Northern Army anymore thanks to the retreat. It's on cooldown--so that x4 hive gets a reprieve. We can still attack with the Southern or Central Armies.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
they're good lunchtime videos at 1.3x lol

good to know about retreating freezing the army for the rest of the turn! let's have the southern army take out the first 1-hive

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

quote:

Actions:
  • Southern Army attack x1 Hive

This should be an easy clean-up... easier than the last attempt, haha.

Oof, real easy. That's a couple of bombard towers back there, but the enemy hive is in front of them.

I drop a Medical Pod, load up a Shotgunner, and rush in thinking I can take it down immediately.

But I get overconfident again... bit of a recurring theme. The bombard towers box me in...

...and I'm simply not able to deal enough damage before the bombard tower spawners join in and overwhelm me. Full party wipe.

Need to play smarter--I engineer some turret up north to destroy the Bombard Towers' defenses.

Without those extra defenses, I drop a turret by the hive as a distraction and Airdrop a bunch of marines.

Crucially, I also bait the Bombard Towers to fire their volleys in the same area. Ammo spent, I have a small corridor to the east where I won't take poison damage.

At that point, it's in the bag and I win--though it cost me a morale star. Kind of a bummer and I want to avoid that on x1 hives, ha.

Ah well. The bugs mutate again at this point. After killing me real good the AI must thing it's real funny to make its poison even more lethal:

I have none of the suggested counters. Just going to have to play cautiously and rely on Engineering.

Over the bugs turn some of our northern fortifications take damage, but nothing is left exposed at the moment. After losing their attackers and their stronghold, it appears the bugs have had the wind knocked out of their sails. This would be a good chance to either turtle up and rebuild our defenses or go on the offensive and claim as much territory as possible.

But it's your call!

Alright, thread, what do you want to do?

Southern Army could keep pushing back the weakened enemy frontline. Would be beneficial cost-wise if we wanted to maximize our fortification uses.

Central Army also has some weak hives nearby. If we wanted, we could also push out in this direction.

Northern Army is still on cooldown.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Push into the 1-base with the southern army. Might as well keep pushing the advantage down there.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
this + fortify w/ East Army

i seriously want to wipe the West clean so we can fully focus on the East

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Dr_Gee posted:

this + fortify w/ East Army

i seriously want to wipe the West clean so we can fully focus on the East

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

East Army really doesn't have anything to fortify, everything's already at 5.

Press the advantage in the south, East Army moves North.

We can take out the 3, and then start running sorties on the Stronghold with it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

quote:

Actions:
  • Build-Up
  • Southern Army attack x1 Hive w/ Infestation

Since we can't fortify the Central Army's region past +5, I'm going to take this turn as a chance to Build-Up Tactics Points:

It never hurts to have more Tactics Points!

Meanwhile, we'll take down that x1 Hive. I will play more cautiously this time, haha! Don't want to lose another morale point for a single hive province.

Doesn't look too bad at first glance. But then you zoom in and squint at just what sort of fortifications are around this hive... and holy poo poo...

:psyduck:

This single hive has more fortifications than that Stronghold we took out! Why! Why?!

This, uh, is actually going to be a huge pain in the rear end. With no other hives around to knock out and gain more build points from, we don't exactly have the weapons to pull off a frontal attack. Plus, all of those turrets, mortars, cannons, medipods, and shield generators? Tied to the hive. We can take out the bunker without it respawning, but everything else will respawn.

Using Engineering to just chip away at stuff isn't a great option either. The bugs' mutators are too effective at countering that. For every human construction destroyed, it immediately gets converted to an infested bug construction. You can see it happening to my turrets here:

Fortunately, I am able to take out the bunker before that cannon can make more:

And because none of the infected marines target me, I can easily kill them with minefields. There's a medic there too, so I need to do that otherwise it'll exist in perpetuity and harass me when I start an attack run.

As you can see, though, I don't get very far. I try to knock out the cannon and send in Airlifted marines, but they don't last long enough against that Shield Generator to knock anything else out. I'm effectively stymied here.

This is actually the ideal demonstration for the Missile Strike tactic! 2 points and a missile is fired that effectively salts the earth--whatever was constructed there cannot be rebuild. In this situation, hitting the hive is the best bet. Without the hive, the spitter turrets and spawners won't regenerate, so I only have to worry about the infected human gear.

The missile in action:

It flies in from somewhere off-screen, presumably a Stronghold, and blows up in a relatively small radius.

Fortunately, not all of these constructions are respawning either... makes clean up easier.

Once the shield generator goes down, things just sort of fall into place.

On the map screen we uncover a Minigunner upgrade! Whaaa! It'll stay available for 2 turns.

Up north, our fortifications fall. Bugs can start pushing us back here. They also spawn a x7 Invader out of the north-east stronghold.

The game also helpfully points out that we have the opportunity to surround 5 enemy provinces... or 4 if we target the Minigunner. I'm not sure that we get to keep the Minigunner if we don't directly grab it from the province. Something to think about.

Our Turn

Northern Army is available for use again.

Central Army is in the same situation. Only thing of note is that that invader is going to start moving down from the north.

Southern Army has a lot of options available.

What's our move, thread?

Sally fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 16, 2022

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TeeQueue posted:

East Army moves North.

ah, crud, sorry TeeQueue! I didn't notice this sentence before I recorded the episode... just saw it as i was doing the write up.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If you can fortify and move with the same army in 1 turn, Fortify and get the Minigunner upgrade with the south army. If not, then get the mini gunner upgrade. I think it's the first option we have that's a hard counter to several of the problems you've been running into.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Randalor posted:

If you can fortify and move with the same army in 1 turn

We absolutely can! If the threads agrees, we can do this.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Randalor posted:

If you can fortify and move with the same army in 1 turn, Fortify and get the Minigunner upgrade with the south army. If not, then get the mini gunner upgrade. I think it's the first option we have that's a hard counter to several of the problems you've been running into.

Really not much of a choice when we can masterstroke the entire western front like this.

Play it safe and be liberal with the tactics points. The potential gains mean we shouldn't risk playing it frugally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Randalor posted:

And spend spend spend. Tactics and morale points if it comes to it.