Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
CD is one more turn on airlift, right?

e: update on last page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yah Airlift needs one more turn to cool off.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Can we fortify the NE army province, then pull the NE army back to the chokepoint so we can try to bleed off strengrh from the northern invader without risking our army? I can't remember if there's a benefit to having multiple armies defending one province, but we can at least bleed one before punching back.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
We don't want to be attacked by both offensive armies at one spot. Center army to 5 province Hopefully this splits things up a bit and then we can reoccupy the chokepoint next turn. A little bit of defence in depth.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Randalor posted:

Can we fortify the NE army province, then pull the NE army back to the chokepoint so we can try to bleed off strengrh from the northern invader without risking our army? I can't remember if there's a benefit to having multiple armies defending one province, but we can at least bleed one before punching back.

We can do this, but a fortify and a move will use up a turn. And if we don't attack within our turn, we risk the bugs spawning another invader swarm.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Further, there is no benefit to having multiple defending armies on a province. I had to check, haha, I've never had it happen before. If we lose or retreat, both armies fall back to the next nearest province. That is all.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Should probably fortify and then attack the 3 then. Don't want too many invaders.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

TeeQueue posted:

Should probably fortify and then attack the 3 then. Don't want too many invaders.

Ya, this seems like the best plan

Would invader fights be one at a time if both moved into the same province on the same turn?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yah when attacking, bugs play by the same rules we do. they can only attack once per turn.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:negative: messed up the recording last night. audio, no video. need to re-do it today... next update pending.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

quote:

Actions:
  • Northern Army Fortify
  • Northern x4 Army attack x3 Hive

One step closer to that hive stronghold...

Not too difficult a map here. We are so well armed now that provinces this week shouldn't be too much of an issue at all.

The assassination squads continue to be annoying. In between the cooldown for that attack, I leave behind a soldier to defend our base and send the rest of the troops to grab the have south of us.

Doesn't take long...

At that point, I switch positions and go for the northern two.

Nothing to it!

Rust is always mildly annoying. Can't really use turrets anymore as they melt when faced when enemy fire now. Buildings are easy targets too... but as I have so many options for troops, this shouldn't affect us much.

Even with that x7 invader... now THIS defense mission was a bit more difficult:

Defense maps always seem to be some variation of "very wide open", so there isn't a great place to hide away buildings where they won't be destroyed by bugs. Engineering is the one building I really need here. Defense maps are not my strength and I very often wind up fleeing from them. The ability to drop mines wherever is one of the best ways to keep myself alive with enough morale to try and outlast the bugs. There isn't really enough resources to go on a fast attack until I can score some build points. Starting with a medic, I try to score as many as possible as quickly as possible so I can start knocking down hives.

They're fast, though. As I bring my first haul in, I'm already at risk of losing a base while the timer keeps counting down for the next hive appearance.

The mutators are an additional annoyance, haha.

As things get nutty, the best I can do is drop what mines I can to try and keep bases alive for just a minute longer. Losing bases drops morale. But reclaiming bases raises it again. Got to keep that balance to survive.

Surviving the initial attacks is hardest and where I most often have to retreat or am defeated. Once they're all up, I can focus on consolidating my forces and start pushing back.

There's a lot of this POINT LOST/RE-CAPTURED going on this video...

I get dangerously close to losing this mission, but as all hives are out at this point and I still most of a star intact, I risk continuing the defense.

Much of this video is just more POINT LOST followed by RE-CAPTURED. I do eventually get a handle on things though. Surprised myself--there was a few moments where I thought I'd have to pull the plug.

We manage to survive it taking only a minor loss to morale!

What's next, thread?

Northern Army is in striking distance of the stronghold. There is still a x7 invader unit there. Not sure what it's going to do, though I suspect if we take the stronghold and cut it off it may wither and die. Again, not sure...

Central Army continues to hold the chokepoint. It's not in any danger at this point.

Western Army is useless to us until it comes up to the front lines. It's there, though.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I seem to recall airlift is back in play? Also to inform future voters: if an army airdrops next to a friendly province with an army in it and has to retreat is it destroyed?

Either way my vote is: North Fortify, West Airdrop assault the 9 Stronghold

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Airlift is indeed back in play! Also, if we get attacked an lose a province and it has two armies on it, both retreat to the nearest adjacent province.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Great thread this and I will try and give the game a go when I get offsite and its controlled internet.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

habituallyred posted:

I seem to recall airlift is back in play? Also to inform future voters: if an army airdrops next to a friendly province with an army in it and has to retreat is it destroyed?

I like this plan.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Great thread this and I will try and give the game a go when I get offsite and its controlled internet.

it's such a dangerously addictive game!!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Went to record new update tonight, but ran into a small hitch.

As it turns out, this:

habituallyred posted:

Doesn't work! I had no idea, but you cannot airdrop onto Strongholds. We need a new set of orders, thread!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I think it is cheaper to airdrop into allied territory rather than enemy territory? It does say 2 tactics power to attack...

Airlift West to the 5 point next to the 7 attacker. Center to attack neighboring 5. Pretty sure this works.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Why not just Airdrop West onto North, then have North attack the stronghold?

Same result, different order.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

TeeQueue posted:

Why not just Airdrop West onto North, then have North attack the stronghold?

Same result, different order.

North Army only has 3 morale stars. Would it be enough?
I guess we will find out. I vote for plan TeeQueue

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I feel our best interest is to feed our armies to the bugs, then to lay down and let the bugs plant their mind control larvae into the bases of our skulls and allow us to become one with their hive mind. We must join with the choir of the overmind, and allow our voices to be lost in the beautiful song of harmony.

No you may not inspect the base of my skull. Please stop asking.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Airlift the western army in and take the stronghol with the northern one

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
Airlift West to between Central and Northern, Central attacks the 5-hive to its West

I think we have this in the bag as long as we don't gently caress up -- going after the stronghold with a 3* army seems.... dicey

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

quote:

Actions:
  • Airlift Western Army onto Northern Army province
  • Northern x4 attack x9 Stronghold

Let's do this!

I don't like to take a stronghold without my Spec Ops team and since we are flush in tactics points, I'm not going to miss the opportunity.

It's nothing to break through this initial line of defense turrets and get to the first hive. I leave a single Rifleman up by our base as defense and use the spec ops crew and everyone else to go on the offensive.

I get a Minigunner real early on which makes these first couple of hives a cakewalk.

This one's a bit of a problem, though... with the mass of turrets and mutations working against me, I start taking losses and damage to my morale.

Honestly I didn't even notice I'd lost two stars until this warning flashed on the screen. Thank goodness for it!

Bit foolish, though, because I'd forgotten I had a counter to give myself infinite morale:

The Triage station! Huzzah! Solders who are about to die get teleported back to the triage station and patched up. As soldiers can now never die, I don't have to worry about morale loss from that direction. So long as I don't lose bases, I now effectively cannot lose morale. These same soldiers are going to pull a fill Live Die Repeat on these bugs.

Observe:

In normal circumstances, this would be a holy poo poo moment.

But here, you can see the triage taking effect. They'll be back at it shortly.

It's about this time I also realize I've grabbed the Sniper upgrade. Not my favourite tool to use, but with an excess of points, I can spare one to help take out the turrets. It speeds things up.

I've basically gone clockwise around this level. We are nearly back at our starting base.

Aaaaand there it is! Back where we started, though we finish the mission before I can actually rejoin that lone Rifleman guard.

Cut off, that Invader is imobilized and starts to whither. The enemy makes an attempt to cut us off as well, destroying that +5 fortification, but it's not really something to be concerned about. All armies are now connected to a stronghold, so we're fine.

Western Army:

Central Army:

Northern Army:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I'm back! And more committed to finishing this than ever. Finished Shadows of the Empire PC and have retired as a mod. My free time is now solely focussed on this... which is good because we are so close to winning!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Is there any actual weak point or is it just the time of grinding advances now?

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Central Army Fortifies, Western Army attacks the "5" bug on the right

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

SIGSEGV posted:

Is there any actual weak point or is it just the time of grinding advances now?

well we dont necessarily need to grind our way to the frontline if that's what you are asking. we have the means to jump forward

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
(airlift is in cooldown though)

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

If the central army went down and took the 2 and then the 3, we could cut off the remaining half of the enemy’s forces… though the enemy would try to take the spot we just left behind, of course.

Did I forget something happening, as it looks like the western army can only retreat.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

TeeQueue posted:

If the central army went down and took the 2 and then the 3, we could cut off the remaining half of the enemy’s forces… though the enemy would try to take the spot we just left behind, of course.

Did I forget something happening, as it looks like the western army can only retreat.

seems like it's just graphical funkiness that most of the movement-arrow indicators are partly obscured? western army looks like it can go SW, NW, NE, or E

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

silentsnack posted:

seems like it's just graphical funkiness that most of the movement-arrow indicators are partly obscured? western army looks like it can go SW, NW, NE, or E

yah this. if you look reeeeeeally close there js a teensy arrowhead stickong out. just the pointed tip

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Western army attack 5 defenders

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

quote:

Actions:
  • Fortify Central Army
    Western Army attacks x5 Hive

After fortifying Central, Western attacks that x5 hive. Should be simple, right?

It's an awkward layout for me, but I'm confident I can pull it off. Been on a roll lately.

I leave a rifleman to defend my starting point and drop a Life Support while I loop around with the rest of my troops.

They get killed and the enemy pushes against me enough that I have to switch focus temporarily. This will be a recurring theme of this battle.

That hive in the bottom left is super annoying. Normally poison clouds aren't too annoying but I haven't even claimed a single hive yet, so my army is smaller and my troops less trained. Irritating.

I do eventually capture the bottom two hives, though!

Next plan is to killed that Protohive and hopefully kill that toxic cloud tower, but at the very least I can chase it away from my base.

Unfortunately, the enemy pushes up against my spawn point enough that I have to switch focus temporarily...

The assassins are really annoying here. They can get within range of my base before I can shoot them because they are so well covered. They come around that corner and can immediately start shooting me and have two hives defending them.

I clear out that Protohive and the Toxic Cloud tower retreats--almost killed it, but those things are hard to put down without overwhelming fire power even IF you encircle them. They can just push right past your troops and rebuild.

But the enemy has once again pushed up against my spawn point enough that... well, you get the idea...

A minor setback.

Furthest back I've been pushed this mission. I have to redeploy the Life Support.

Takes a minute, but I reclaim my starting point and re-redeploy Life Support.

I try airdropping troops behind these two points as a distraction, but their effectiveness is minimal. After trying and failing a couple of times, I start to lose morale in earnest... both literally and in the game!

Calling it. Time to retreat.

I've caused some damage but considering it cost me a morale star to do, it's a bit of a Pyrrhic victory.

Western Army is now disabled.

But since this doesn't count as a finished action, we're still on Turn 20. Our movements are limited to the northern two armies.

Well, thread, what now?

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
Is there something we can do to replenish our stars?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Resupply, but we are probably on cooldown. Use resupply if it isn't on cooldown, otherwise take central army into the 2 defenders

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
We COULD Resupply but we only have one action left.

So it's either we use Resupply or we attack another province. If we don't successfully win an attack, we risk the AI spawning invaders to home in on us. Would beef up their defenses.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Attack the 2 and threaten to cut the guys who just kicked our rear end off. :v:

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
We are too banged up. I vote to resupply. Let them come to us if it gets to it. They will bounce off our superior armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I say take out the 2, we can try to cut them off next turn.