Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

quote:

Actions
  • Central Army attack x2 Hive
Upgrades:
  • Hologram

Going in...

This will be absurdly easy compared to that other province. Barely anything here!

I use Engineering to quickly drop in some mines, then I switch it out for Triage and wade in.

Airlift draws fire and chews through the bugs more quickly. Classic tactic.

With the added points, I sell of Triage and swap in a Minigunner.

It's over quickly. I do play an Iron Curtain to shield/heal the group as their health got a bit low, but I'm sure I even needed to.

With this I now have enough points to buy the last upgrade we can get!

Hologram is now ours. I, uh... never use it, personally. All the other tools I have at my disposal are more than enough, frankly. Anyone here ever found a good use for the Holograms?

Clone Strike is back on the menu, but considering they're giving up Rust for it, I'm not bothered. Means I can use turrets and mortars with impunity again.

Fortifications take some damage, but we lose no territories.

Western Army is still licking their wounds, so our only actions can be done by Northern Army:

Or Central/Eastern Army:

What's our next action?

Here's the full map just so the thread can see what powers we have available and on cooldown:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
North army go southwest, Resupply is my vote

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Resupply and take the southern 3, via airlifting western army directly onto it if possible.

That’ll cut off two other bug territories and give us a strong line against the final base.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

TeeQueue posted:

Resupply and take the southern 3, via airlifting western army directly onto it if possible.

That’ll cut off two other bug territories and give us a strong line against the final base.

I think western army is still stuck 'regrouping' (or whatev) from retreating, and airlift is still on cooldown for 1 turn so northern army can't do anything useful this turn, and if the eastern army moves south it can cut off two regions but the one it just took would be susceptible to getting recaptured. But the eastern army fortifying this turn doesn't really accomplish much.

So... Resupply (the no-brainer strategy) and Eastern army goes south (and promptly gets cut off) and next turn the northern army can airlift over and plug the gap.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

silentsnack posted:

I think western army is still stuck 'regrouping' (or whatev) from retreating, and airlift is still on cooldown for 1 turn so northern army can't do anything useful this turn, and if the eastern army moves south it can cut off two regions but the one it just took would be susceptible to getting recaptured. But the eastern army fortifying this turn doesn't really accomplish much.

So... Resupply (the no-brainer strategy) and Eastern army goes south (and promptly gets cut off) and next turn the northern army can airlift over and plug the gap.

this

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

quote:

Actions
Eastern Army attack x3 Hive

We go to cut off the bugs...

Not a difficult layout here. Our base is out of range of that flak cannon, so we can wipe out the other two hives at our leisure.

I leave a minefield as a defense and move in with a medic supporting.

With Airlift supporting us, the first hive goes down and the second follows quickly. I play around with having a sniper on the team with the extra points to quickly knock out the defensive towers and spawn spores.

Not really necessary, but I don't get a lot of opportunity to play with snipers, so...

For the final hive, Airdrop is again our bread and butter. I use them to distract and destroy the flak cannon while my troops approach. I think about redeploying the minefield but the opportunity never arises--not that it matters. Nice thing here is that by the time the flak cannon respawns, I have enough ammo I can re-Airdrop.

Victory is ours!

Ever opportunistic, bugs make a move to capture an undefended area. Our now Southern Army is at risk of being cut off.

Some of our fortification also take damage.

Otherwise, we're on our way to the final stronghold!

But how do you want to get there, thread?

Eastern Army

Southern Army

Northern Army

Sally fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 17, 2023

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Southern Army fortifies. Northern Army airdrops on top of the 2 hives hex next to the stronghold

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

They're cutting us off in retaliation? I think not. Take that 2 hive territory next to the stronghold and do them first.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Southern Army Fortify, Central army airdrops into the 2 space next to the Stronghold We aren't getting any stronger, so lets hurry

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

habituallyred posted:

Southern Army Fortify, Central army airdrops into the 2 space next to the Stronghold
This.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

habituallyred posted:

Southern Army Fortify, Central army airdrops into the 2 space next to the Stronghold We aren't getting any stronger, so lets hurry

This, especially since it will cut off two of their other 3 non-stronghold areas.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

quote:

Actions
Central Army Airdrop onto x2 Hive

Sally posted:

Last couple of campaign videos up, for those interested in scrubbing through'em.

I really struggled with minimal updates these last couple updates, so I said "gently caress it" and bought up upgrades like mad. Hard maps! Lots of fun, though.

Video 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK7CD3TpbO8
Video 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrQphGqrCzM

Alright, here we go! Spoiler alert for this update: We head straight for the Stronghold after this. We're soooo close that there's no meaningful choice after this. We've managed to, as a thread, really nail down the bugs in a corner. Anywho, gotta do this one province before we get there.

Super easy map here. At the end of things, there still isn't much the bugs can do if they only have two hives. I mean, that's still a lot of defenses for two hives, but come on now, we know how fast we can chew those up at this point.

We have a lot of resources now that we're fully upgraded. I go for the standard Airdrop temp marines behind the hive while my starting group attack maneuver. Only because we are so flush with resources, I can take a Minigunner and a Medipod with me while still being able to afford a Rifleman to stay behind and defend out starting point.

The escalation of power in this game feels really good, haha.

That said, hubris is still easily countered.

Still, once I regather my forces, I am able to push forward once again.

Map-side, the bugs don't do anything new to stop me. They pump of defenses in one of their provinces. At this point, though, there's no real choice left. Unless we want to spin our wheels--which we don't, haha--we're going for the last stronghold.

quote:

Actions
Eastern Army attack x8 Stronghold

We've saved up lots of Tactics Power, so once again I am starting with a Spec Ops team. There really just isn't a reason not to when attacking a stronghold.

I start by clearing out the nearest bugs and scouting around a bit.

I figure I'll start by heading the south-westerly direction that you see here, but as I clear away the fog of war...

...I discover a mutation hive! As a reminder, these house a locked mutation. As long as I don't kill it, I don't have to deal with it. This early on in the map, I decide I don't want the added pain. Thus, I set up some light defenses and head the other direction.

I am quickly reminded that this is a stronghold mission, haha. Bugs are out in force.

This cluster of two bases is a bit easier for me to defend, so I let the bugs have my starting zone and switch base of operations essentially. There are two fronts to protect vs. three now.

I do try to grab back my bases when I can to keep morale up. Losing too many without capturing new ones causes the dip.

Though it does get harder to do this when the bugs mutate the burrowing hive attack.

My plan here is to clear out these southernmost hives then work my way back up, reclaiming what I've lost.

To do so I have to give up those two bases in the middle and set up shop with all my upgrades down south. This fighting retreat is a pretty sound strategy, remember, because every hive I take gives me new points to spend--points that I don't lose if I lose a base. I'm stuck on the bottom of the map, but I'm more heavily armed than I was when I started.

It does get a bit hairy for a while, though! While I'm stocking up points to spend the bugs get a new mutation with each lost hive.

I do regather myself and re-capture the central corridor.

And re-capturing my starting areas, haha.

The mutations start getting a bit wild. The Vile Tongues are annoying and slow me down... but again, once I regather my forces I am able to steamroll them and press on.

Also, to stop dealing with the random bugs coming in, I knock out those static defenses here.

At this point I'm ready to attack the final hives. I start from the bottom and work up so I don't have to deal with that mutation hive...

...at least until I get to the end and it doesn't matter, woo!

Mission won!

But that's it, so...

How 'bout that. We're as good as the devs!

And these are our stats.

Congrats, goons! We win!

Sally fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 14, 2024

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Cool! Glad to see you made it through to the end.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Nice. Managed to kill more hives than soldiers too.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Nicely done!!

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Goongratulations!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Strategic Sage posted:

Cool! Glad to see you made it through to the end.

i am also glad! was starting to feel LP fatigue here. seems to always happen with me an SSLPs haha. but we made it!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Congrats!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Hmmmmm....
On one hand the lp finished. On the other hand it ended in victory.

I don't think we kneecapped Sally enough.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:evilbuddy: probably couldve sent me to Elite. though who knows. i may have lost or the LP may have stalled out again... this was a great victory for all SALP imo!

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Really enjoyed this LP. Thank you for writing this up.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Last couple of campaign videos up, for those interested in scrubbing through'em.

I really struggled with minimal updates these last couple updates, so I said "gently caress it" and bought up upgrades like mad. Hard maps! Lots of fun, though.

Video 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK7CD3TpbO8
Video 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrQphGqrCzM

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I'm busying myself with other Let's Plays. If anyone is interested, I'm working on a Deltarune Chapter 2 LP here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4038158

Otherwise, thank you all for following Infested Planet! If I have any ideas for other bug-related thread-interactive Let's Plays... well, I will post them.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Sword of the Stars 2 when?

More seriously thanks for sticking with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i enjoyed this LP, thank you sally