Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

racerabbit posted:

I really do love the dynamic between Cal and Merrin.

Yeah, the whole story is a bunch of survivors dealing with (or failing to) their trauma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
And the sequel coming out next year hopefully is called Jedi Survivor.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
This is a Dark Souls-like game, right? So does Dark Souls also have the same interminable wandering around through caverns and things in which you keep getting confused, and have to backtrack, and get turned around and around until you get killed by a boss?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

painedforever posted:

This is a Dark Souls-like game, right? So does Dark Souls also have the same interminable wandering around through caverns and things in which you keep getting confused, and have to backtrack, and get turned around and around until you get killed by a boss?

That is the whole essence of Dark Souls, yes.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

You say that but I've never actually gotten lost in a Dark Souls game, or Elden Ring or definitely not in Demon's Souls. (The secret is that in any place that is dark and mazy and hosed up, all ladders are marked by torches at the top and bottom.) So I feel that while it can give you the feeling of being lost, the game is still holding your hand to get you to your next checkpoint.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Funny that I’m familiar with Dark Souls engine games and have played many, but never the original Dark Souls. Had a similar relationship with Quake engine games way back when

Now that Merrin (my favorite character in the game if you haven’t guessed) is on your team, you may want to revisit all the planets. She has unique dialogue for each.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

If you're wondering what happened to the LP, well, I got knocked out by my latest COVID booster and only managed to record one video that weekend and then this weekend I spent every minute dealing with cleaning out garbage and organizing stuff so I could potentially move after closing on a house this week. It looks like that closing has moved to a week from today, which is awesome when you drove 300 miles and get told things are taking longer because the SELLER isn't local.

The LP is going to get finished, but probably not until I've moved. We're really close so this sucks.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
It happens. Good luck dealing with it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
There's nothing more time consuming and exhausting than moving.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There's nothing more time consuming and exhausting than moving.

Holy hell you aren't joking. Here's the story so far: I moved about a month ago and haven't recorded in a minute. Part of that is because of the time the move took, part is because I had a new PC to assemble and held off on recording until I had everything (oddly the case took the longest). I am hoping with the blizzard conditions I am getting this coming week we can finish off the LP now that everything is in place.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I hope so too. Thx for checking in.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i feel your pain man. got huge gaps in my LP resumes due to moves.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Well, I promised I would be back this week and here we are. Kind of annoying to take a huge break right at the end of the LP and delay the final videos, but here we are. The good news is that this will all be finished shortly after Christmas, I plan to have the informational/flavor stuff captured by the weekend. Most of this episode is just setting the pace for the last couple videos. It's a little weird that you basically round out your crew and have approximately five minutes with the newest member. Granted, Merrin has been opposing us for a while, but the Nightsister sending her enraged or zombified people at Cal and the crewmember are almost opposites in your limited time together. I kind of wish she had some sort of input as you traveled around on other planets to make revisiting things to pick up the last journal/force ghost entries more than just a backtracking slog, but the game uses the Cal-to-Mantis communications fairly sparingly through the game so it would be a little odd if you started having constant conversations while going over the same places you went without comment from other members.

I recorded this video right before I moved, so it's been in the hopper for a while. The next two were recorded just this past weekend and thanks to the new computer look much, much better. It'll be interesting to see if anyone else notices the shift in quality when the time comes after YouTube is done with the things.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, you want to talk to Merrin at the start of each world for her impressions of the place. But she has no exploration dialogue I've seen. :(

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

She's got a pretty solid objection all in all, you should probably chuck that list of identityyyes in the nearest star.

If the plot is that the baddies are already waiting and are going to take the holocron or whatever after taking the previous mcguffin, I'm going to be upset.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 22, 2022

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

SIGSEGV posted:

She's got a pretty solid objection all in all, you should probably chuck that list of identityyyes in the nearest star.

If the plot is that the baddies are already waiting and are going to take the holocron or whatever after taking the previous mcguffin, I'm going to be upset.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't this as anything else I could think of would retcon the original trilogy movies.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
No spoilers, but yeah, the original Star Wars trilogy used that very plot multiple times.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Welcome back!

Good grief, I'd forgotten how jerky the movements look in this game.

Hey, pre-orders for the next game are up!

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

painedforever posted:

Hey, pre-orders for the next game are up!

Pre-orders are also terrible, wait for it to actually come out and see whether it's bloody playable, first.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
There’s also a nasty rumor that my two favorite characters may be left out of the sequel. If so, I will be very livid. Even more than after the last night when my power flickered several times during a winter storm.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Lynneth posted:

Pre-orders are also terrible, wait for it to actually come out and see whether it's bloody playable, first.

Well, I don't mean y'all should buy it. I'm just saying, I guess this means that the next game is coming out soon.

I've almost never done pre-orders. The only time I pre-ordered a game was when BattleTech came out. And that's because it was a Kickstarter, and it had Jordan Weisman who was in FASA and it was Harebrained Schemes who did the Shadowrun Returns games, and I really, really wanted to show my support for the game even before it came out.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I always wonder how people actually lived in these places where everything is a cliff.

"Just going down to the shop, Luv. Be right back after I swing above this bottomless chasm and jump from five times my height onto a tiny platform. Do we need any blue milk?"

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

They evolve biologic jumpjets and boosters.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Prince of Persia '08 addresses it somewhere for its ruined city, answer being "you learn to climb and jump or you die."

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

We're almost there, for real this time. There's a couple twists and a lot of story/character work in this episode, and I think that it's generally pretty good. Fans of Jedi swinging lightsabers are going to be mostly disappointed, though. Only mostly; there's still some of that here. I have to say I still appreciate the way Respawn has consistently depicted Cal's visions and memories from the start. The first one, on the train right after the movement tutorial, had the endless hallway effect along with the open-door-to-different-place-entirely thing going. That's been how almost every flashback that wasn't just Cal closing his eyes and getting a memory has started or at least used in some capacity. Both are somewhat tired tropes now as movies/shows and video games have been using that sort of thing to show a descent into madness or some other deleterious psychological condition is setting in. That's not a knock on the technique at use, it's incredibly effective and wide familiarity with it means that audiences can be expected to know something isn't right just from that.

Just to head this off now: almost as soon as I stopped recording I realized how dumb it was for me to say (paraphrasing) "Why did that happen? He doesn't get visions unless he WANTS them" and then justifying that idea with the force echoes. Idiot me forgot the entire "plays space guitar" scene from like the second episode where it's explained Cal just gets visions from objects and engaging with them is just something I'm doing mechanically as part of the gameplay loop. I'm not getting more into what caused me to say this, you'll have to watch the episode, but I'm going to acknowledge I forgot a key fact about the game I'm playing and didn't edit out the audio to seem smarter.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Most of the game was pretty good, I loved the moment before fixing his lightsaber, but this vision was my "holy crap" moment with the game.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Fun fact- the Inquisitor Cal costume & red lightsaber were added to the in-game outfits by popular demand a few months after release.

Also, Merrin kidding Greez about his arm is a great character moment. :)

Final video coming soon! :toot:

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 27, 2022

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I don't know if it's on purpose but ep 24 is Unlisted.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Y'know, I think the new computer did it. The movement doesn't feel as janky as it did before. So, y'know, yay.

Yes, Cal does look better in Sith clothing. That's just par for the course, isn't it? Sith clothing good. Probably designed by Hugo Boss.

I still wish that he would button his lips, especially in the close-ups.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

This last bit of the game is almost pure action and combat, so there's not a ton of exploring to do. I wouldn't call it a bad thing, the game has to reach an ending and fighting your way to the final objective is a tried and true way to do that. It's a gauntlet, for sure; we're fighting a bunch of hugbots, elite troopers and purge soldiers on our way to the last boss and exit sequence. It's made doable by fairly frequent save points and a little work getting enemies to come at you one at a time. Two purge troopers and guys shooting at you are difficult to deal with no matter the number of hours you have in the game, and you get a whole room where you get that tossed at you multiple times. I'm leaving a lot of details out of what happens here just because there are some pretty big spoilers if I get much past the difficulty or layout. I will say that the game has a great final sequence and an ending that makes me wonder if initially the plan was to have more player choice throughout the game. There's a couple hints as we've gone on that maybe that was an idea: spots where Cal actually got to ask questions and/or provide opinions. Those drop off really fast as time goes on, so it's easy to forget it was a thing after so long. I really think there may have been an idea to side with the Wanderer or Merrin, for example. Maybe there was just some cut content, it feels like the bounty hunters appearing after the arena fight is underused and there was supposed to be a more conclusive ending to that side story.

All that makes me wonder what might be coming with the sequel. Will there be actual sidequests? Will things like player choice become part of the franchise? Will the time skip mean that the whole Greez-is-a-degenerate-gambler thing just goes away? The last of those is less of a concern as there aren't a lot of loose ends. I guess we'll find out soon enough, but it would be great if instead of staying feature-static we get a little of what was hinted at this time around.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Approach: – Enemies: 1 Falls: Hazards: // Total 1 (58)
Holocron: – Enemies: Falls: Hazards: 2 // Total 2 (60)
Inquisition: Enemies: Falls: 3 Hazards: // Total 3 (63)

I liked the “future memory sequence” with the Holocron. I think it’s fine that nothing like it has happened before, Jedi have always been able to get little glimpses of possible futures.

Cal had the chance to destroy the Holocron when Trilla showed up, but he chose not to. Because Trilla was right about his pride.

After seeing how badass Cere was in that brief control room sequence, Vader just off-handedly tossing Cere off the edge was great to establish his power. Vader not even having a health bar is great.

The final death count of 63 was pretty close to my prediction of 60.

I did see the game going on sale for 88% off, it was a great price. But… I just can’t really get over how the lightsabers appear so nerfed.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, that is a nicely done final level & boss. Congrats on getting through them.

I recall being disappointed in the ending. Seemed like it made the game pointless. Then I recalled the themes of "just because you can do something doesn't mean you should" and "trust only in the Force." The ending ties in with them. It fits.

I too have high hopes for the sequel. I want to see more of Sorc Tormo, Greez, and Merrin. Greez may still have gambling issues (who says Tormo would consider their debt settled, and maybe he owes others money too), and Merrin's story definitely isn't done yet. I would also like the Wanderer to come back (he's only entombed, not dead, someone can always break him out somehow) and another boss battle with Vader. Even if we can't beat him, it would be nice to challenge him again. Sidious too, if they can make it work. More Cere badassery would be good also. I hear he can use a blaster in the sequel and Cere was using one in tandem with a lightsaber in this game, so she could teach him more skills. Maybe she and Cal can even have a fight- her being angry at him for destroying the Holocron like that is an obvious plot conflict they could do. Perhaps the Empire was also able to copy the Holocron's contents before Cal stole it back, that seems likely.

More than anything, I don't want another Force Unleashed 2, though. They did a lot in that game, bringing in new plot points, Yoda & Boba Fett cameos, cool battles... then the game was short, rushed, and it bombed, so all plot threads were left unresolved. Made it feel like they tried a sequel just because of the first game's success and then didn't make the second as good plus they were overconfident they'd get a third. I do not want to see that again, nor does this game series deserve it.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 31, 2022

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

achtungnight posted:

Yeah, that is a nicely done final level & boss. Congrats on getting through them.

I recall being disappointed in the ending. Seemed like it made the game pointless. Then I recalled the themes of "just because you can do something doesn't mean you should" and "trust only in the Force." The ending ties in with them. It fits.

I too have high hopes for the sequel. I want to see more of Sorc Tormo, Greez, and Merrin. Greez may still have gambling issues (who says Tormo would consider their debt settled, and maybe he owes others money too), and Merrin's story definitely isn't done yet. I would also like the Wanderer to come back (he's only entombed, not dead, someone can always break him out somehow) and another boss battle with Vader. Even if we can't beat him, it would be nice to challenge him again. Sidious too, if they can make it work. More Cere badassery would be good also. I hear he can use a blaster in the sequel and Cere was using one in tandem with a lightsaber in this game, so she could teach him more skills. Maybe she and Cal can even have a fight- her being angry at him for destroying the Holocron like that is an obvious plot conflict they could do. Perhaps the Empire was also able to copy the Holocron's contents before Cal stole it back, that seems likely.

More than anything, I don't want another Force Unleashed 2, though. They did a lot in that game, bringing in new plot points, Yoda & Boba Fett cameos, cool battles... then the game was short, rushed, and it bombed, so all plot threads were left unresolved. Made it feel like they tried a sequel just because of the first game's success and then didn't make the second as good plus they were overconfident they'd get a third. I do not want to see that again, nor does this game series deserve it.

Really what they need to do is make a new Jedi Knight/Jedi Academy out of this franchise. Cere and Cal training some Jedi in secret and sending them out to fight the Empire would be cool. Maybe not the best in a character driven game like this, but how long does Cal really have after going toe to toe with Vader during the Kill-All-Jedi/Make-Force-Users-Inquisitors period?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
One thing I'm concerned about, maybe, is the timing and the inevitable plot-irrelevance. This game is 14 years before a new hope, next is in another five I think? So nine years to go until Cal must somehow be made irrelevant to the Empire, or him existing would necessarily interact with the movies. Killing him is the obvious and easy route, but that's no fun.

Unless they retcon the actual movies but that seems very unlikely.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
That's the problem with every story set in the Empire Era - Star Wars' most popular time frame. You are bounded by the Clone Wars on one side, and A New Hope on the other, meaning that a lot of these stories are going to have bad ends, or like Fionni, they'll come up with an excuse to get their characters out of the way for the movies, but keep them alive through the Rebellion era.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Hopefully they go with something that keeps them alive but irrelevant like “we have embarked on an important mission to the far side of the galaxy”. Or if they kill anyone it’s a good death like Trilla got.

That reminds me- the other Dark Jedi we saw in the game are all possibly still alive. Vader of course is alive. Malicos the Wanderer was only imprisoned. And Ninth Sister- well, she fell off the World Tree and lost a hand, but she’s survived worse.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It's a big galaxy, the EU of old has shown options to get off the main storyline just crossing paths with notable people. I think as long as they don't go for "this is pivotal to the core movies" they can find room.

As long as people can hold themselves off from making it all about Darth Vader's freaking apprentice or something.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Bruceski posted:

It's a big galaxy, the EU of old has shown options to get off the main storyline just crossing paths with notable people. I think as long as they don't go for "this is pivotal to the core movies" they can find room.

As long as people can hold themselves off from making it all about Darth Vader's freaking apprentice or something.

Yeah, but the thing is: Cal as shown would be all over the rebellion when that crops up. Look at how fast he jumped in with the rebels on kashyyk. And with how much Cal wanted to rebuild the order there's no way he wouldn't have been drawn to Luke after he openly worked for the rebellion as a Jedi in ROTJ.

You'd need something really compelling for him to be drawn away from all that for all those years.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

That was actually a good LP, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I don't care at all about larger lore implications really, wouldn't mind seeing more of weird ginger Cal do stuff. I did appreciate Cere did get some badass moments, but also a built in reason why she probably won't be badass in future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Cal is such a goofy looking bastard sometimes. I swear there's at least one animator who went out of their way to have him jutting his jaw forward in every cutscene.