Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Okay, I like the ending. I like the idea that Cal doesn't just decide to kidnap and bunch of kids and force them into becoming Jedi. Especially since we've seen how easily they get corrupted.

It's also cool that Vader is totally scary. Cal isn't even a full-fledged Jedi, he's a Padawan. Obviously, Vader is going to be an insurmountable obstacle.

It seems as though in most Star Wars games, poor Vader is just a speed bump.

Still, I sorta missed Starkiller. Now there's a guy who knows how to put Vader in his place. Damned asthmatic Sith Lords...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

painedforever posted:

Cal isn't even a full-fledged Jedi, he's a Padawan.

he just got knighted and is now a jedi knight
:goonsay:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

biosterous posted:

Which makes him on par with vader since he never got the rank of master

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Cal hosed off to the Unknown Regions for 20 years

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Cal is, somehow, the yuuzhan vong.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The main issue is that, at least according to the trailer, he's been making himself a large thorn in the side of the Empire - as a Jedi, no less. So if the series ends without him dead, it'll certainly be interesting to see how they spin him just vanishing during the Rebellion era. Speaking of other surviving notable Jedi, Ahsoka was mostly NOT making herself a giant target during this era, and then joined up with the Rebellion while mostly not acting as a Force wielder. And then (presumably) spent a whole bunch of time trapped on an empty planet, missing the OT. Ezra of course got bussed into the Unknown Regions once he really started being prominent. Obi-Wan's (the show) plotline is idiotically stupid, so we're just going to ignore that one.

Meanwhile, here's Cal Kestis 10 years before either of those started showing themselves as Force users (again), showing off as both a Jedi and a threat. If he's not a dead man walking, it'll certainly be an interesting plotline that has him both not continuing the fight and fading off the Empire's radar. Dumping him way outside the Empire with no quick way back or sticking him in carbonite are certainly paths they could take, but both have been used before. And voluntarily turning away from the Empire due to some greater outside threat doesn't seem great either. Just pure disillusionment could work too, but it's hard to see how they could reasonably pull off that plotline off in a definitive way. Only a few months left though to find out (assuming they don't make a 3rd game).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

painedforever posted:

It's also cool that Vader is totally scary. Cal isn't even a full-fledged Jedi, he's a Padawan. Obviously, Vader is going to be an insurmountable obstacle.

It seems as though in most Star Wars games, poor Vader is just a speed bump.

Yeah this was great. He starts things out by completely no-selling Cere, the scale of the force powers to rip the walkway apart, that monster movie camera teleport at the elevator, and then it takes everyone working together to simply escape. It's the same sort of brute strength glow-up he got at the end of Rogue One, and it fits the character very well.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

biosterous posted:

I mean, yeah, okay. Technically. But I thought that was more of a symbolic thing. He never completed his training.

Not to take anything away from Cal. Kid did well.

Not as well as Dash Rendar, obviously.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Alright, I need to apologize for how little there actually is here, and how many screenshots these are. I just batch edited and uploaded these, so there's some double entries. The big problem is that these are really thin entries that are more flavor than context for the things we find in the world, like world building elements rather than mini stories about the stuff you find. I would have liked more; games like the rebooted Tomb Raiders would put huge journal entries and mini-stories into these sorts of things. Sometimes hints at solving puzzles. As it stands, this is a little thin and maybe skippable if you didn't want some additional context on the Zeffo villagers or rebels on Kashyyyyyyyyyyk

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

It's a lot less interesting than I'd hoped. I'm sorry you had to go back and screenshot it all.

I was expecting something like Tomb Raider or Guardians of the Galaxy. This is... not.

"The Nightsisters were led by a powerful magick-user they called 'Mother'."

Yeah, thanks for that. That's really descriptive.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
The fakeout with Vader is one of my favorite things in this game; for a second you think you have a boss fight on your hand, and then it's NOPE RUN AWAY.

For what it's worth I think we'll avoid a Force Unleashed 2 scenario here; that game was pumped out like a year after the original, the upcoming sequel has been given a bit more than that.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

painedforever posted:

It's a lot less interesting than I'd hoped. I'm sorry you had to go back and screenshot it all.

I was expecting something like Tomb Raider or Guardians of the Galaxy. This is... not.

"The Nightsisters were led by a powerful magick-user they called 'Mother'."

Yeah, thanks for that. That's really descriptive.

It's a real let down for sure. There's a really cool opportunity to do models or lore pages with some of the things you find or hear from the Force Echoes. I was ready for a major undertaking (I had never looked at these in previous playthroughs) and was dreading it, and then...Like four minutes of screenshotting? It took longer to set up rightload again than to actually get the pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Thanks so much for creating this Let's Play. I recently finished it, and really appreciate getting to see the game.