Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

More people should wear ponchos and wraps. It's very comfy, I do a wrap with a blanket for lounging around the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mildly Interesting
Nov 24, 2012
Being a Jedi involves a lot more wildlife killing than I imagined. It looks like fun, though, and that train sequence was great.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Mildly Interesting posted:

Being a Jedi involves a lot more wildlife killing than I imagined. It looks like fun, though, and that train sequence was great.

There's wildlife killing, and then there's Oggdo. As seen in the video that frog can be fought before you get stimpacks, and you might think that only complete idiots would try to do it instead of coming back when you can, you know, heal.

I can confidently say that as one of the idiots in question many players have in fact gotten their asses kicked by a giant frog and have ignored the idea of "come back later" in the name of avenging their pride. The funny thing is that if you're like me and are like "I am not going to let myself get humiliated by a frog," you're honestly going to get a solid grip on the game's combat system by the time you beat him. You have to know how to dodge, parry, what have you to win, and once you do odds are you're pretty well-prepared for a lot of what the game has to throw at you.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
always great to see train sequences in Star Wars games!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

LP looking good, not so keen on the circular hilt lightsaber design. Just let the baddies have normal, red lightsabers. They don't need to be stupidly fancy.

Also, I thought the Empire were supposed to be human-supremasist? What's the deal with the giant yellow one?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Certain nonhumans are quite useful to the Empire. Witness the Grand Inquisitor or Admiral Thrawn.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

MadDogMike posted:

Gotta say, Lazyfire, I am DEFINITELY getting flashbacks to my playing through watching your headaches, so it's nice to know I'm not the only one who struggles a ton in the early game. I would suggest mixing more parrying into combat instead of just dodging; you do need to dodge a bunch, but parrying has the advantage of interrupting the enemy combos a bunch, at least when they hand you attacks you can block at least (so many drat glowing red enemies *sigh*). Also, the ziplines only work going downhill for now anyway, which is why you couldn't use that one, it was going the wrong way.

My memory of the zipline is still from the late game, so it just seemed normal to think I would go up it. Parrying is the best method of Not Getting Hit the game has, but I cannot for the life of me ever anticipate the attack patterns of the creatures. For my own sanity I just dodge and block them.

achtungnight posted:

I looked it up- Cal, Cere, and Cordova are all modeled after their voice actors. The same is true of at least two other game characters we have yet to meet. I’ll identify them when we meet them in future updates.

The first time Cere showed up I knew the game used the actors as the models for the human characters as she looked dead on like Grace from Wolfenstein II and Debra Wilson was the model and voice for that character. As a side note: It's really weird she went from MadTV like 15 years ago to voicing characters in some really major games. Besides this and Wolf II she also was in the most recent Ratchet and Clank game as well as Halo Infinite and Destiny 2's latest expansion. The latter two are just kind of funny because she voiced the bad guy for Bungie related franchises at about the same time.

Samovar posted:

Also, I thought the Empire were supposed to be human-supremasist? What's the deal with the giant yellow one?

The Inquisitors are a weird group, I think in the comics there are like two humans total.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Samovar posted:

It's very inconsistent, even outside of the Extended Universe. Darth Maul, or Assaj Ventris, or that Fanservice Twilik Dark Side character are all non-human. But then Kreia from TSL also used to refer to non-humans as "aliens", but she was delightfully spiteful about everyone.

I love Kreia. Why wasn't TSL better?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

painedforever posted:

It's very inconsistent, even outside of the Extended Universe. Darth Maul, or Assaj Ventris, or that Fanservice Twilik Dark Side character are all non-human. But then Kreia from TSL also used to refer to non-humans as "aliens", but she was delightfully spiteful about everyone.

I love Kreia. Why wasn't TSL better?

Because Obsidian had to develop the game concurrently with Knights of the Old Republic due to LucasArts wanting to get the second game out within a year of the original. Obsidian had to change a bunch of stuff to match up with BioWare's changes. TSL was a good game by all accounts, but LucasArts deciding on an immediate sequel before the first game came out probably killed that franchise.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Samovar posted:

LP looking good, not so keen on the circular hilt lightsaber design. Just let the baddies have normal, red lightsabers. They don't need to be stupidly fancy.

Force sensitivity is rare enough even the Empire can't be too picky about species.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Lazyfire posted:

Because Obsidian had to develop the game concurrently with Knights of the Old Republic due to LucasArts wanting to get the second game out within a year of the original. Obsidian had to change a bunch of stuff to match up with BioWare's changes. TSL was a good game by all accounts, but LucasArts deciding on an immediate sequel before the first game came out probably killed that franchise.

KOTOR I & II didn't have overlapping development times that forced big changes on II. KOTOR released in July 2003 and production on II started in October 2003. It's just that Bioware got three years to make KOTOR and Obsidian got 14 months. What Feargus Urquhart says happened is they got a verbal agreement from LucasArts to push the release back into 2005, but then LucasArts changed their minds and said they wanted to launch Christmas 2004 as per the written contract. Which forced Obsidian to cut huge parts of the game to bring it in on time.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

My favorite thing about kotor II is that it's so unfinished the switch release is coming packaged with the content restored mod.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Samovar posted:

The inquisitors are useful and rare enough that nonhumans are accepted, but they're not really valued. They're just jedi who've had a stay of execution. By the time of the original series they've all been killed off since their job is to be a tripwire for actual Jedi and the Empire doesn't care about training replacements.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I assume they consider aliens some of the finest soldiers in the Empire, when led by human officers.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

OhFunny posted:

KOTOR I & II didn't have overlapping development times that forced big changes on II. KOTOR released in July 2003 and production on II started in October 2003. It's just that Bioware got three years to make KOTOR and Obsidian got 14 months. What Feargus Urquhart says happened is they got a verbal agreement from LucasArts to push the release back into 2005, but then LucasArts changed their minds and said they wanted to launch Christmas 2004 as per the written contract. Which forced Obsidian to cut huge parts of the game to bring it in on time.

Looking at the timeline it seems that the story development started during KOTOR's development, but actual game making wasn't started until after that. Still lots of cut content and ideas to make the whole thing come out on time, and slightly over a year to make something as large as KOTOR II is insane by any standard.

If I were to start including a death counter on these videos this would be the starting point. Some of the jumps in this game can be janky and weird and you will die on the first try more often than you would think acceptable. I do love that they used the old Zelda "bottomless pit" system where you lose some health if you fall and then load you in right in the area so you don't spend ten minutes fighting and puzzling things out to get to the spot where you will die a few more times at least. At times the game can be surprisingly forgiving. Something this video reminds me is to be more wary of turns and corners. It feels like every edge in this level is populated by things trying to knock me off and over the cliff without much an afterthought.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Bruceski posted:

I assume they consider aliens some of the finest soldiers in the Empire, when led by human officers.

And they do their best to ignore the very strange but successful alien officers such as Thrawn.

Falling off cliffs- on Easy difficulty you take no damage from this. In fact it’s what prompted me to switch to that difficulty when I kept dying to falls. Janky platforming. Yes.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Wasn't this the first game released after Disney bought the property, and they decided that Lightsabers were now no longer allowed to dismember humanoid enemies, so the devs developed a lot of animals and droids that could get cut up?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

berryjon posted:

Wasn't this the first game released after Disney bought the property, and they decided that Lightsabers were now no longer allowed to dismember humanoid enemies, so the devs developed a lot of animals and droids that could get cut up?

No? This came out years into EA getting a 10 year exclusive contact from Disney. I think it's like the third SW game they put out, mostly because EA was incompetent and couldn't put out any SW games without causing some kind of controversy (Battlefront 1 was multiplayer only and 2's microtransactions were so bad that countries started threatening to pass laws regulating them).

There were tons of games released during the Lucas years that had no dismemberment.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

berryjon posted:

The Battlefront games didn't have lightsaber dismemberment, but interestingly, neither did the OG Battlefronts. The crazy thing about EA's Star Wars license is how little they ended up doing with it. Granted, at least a couple games got canceled and there was a console generation shift to contend with at either end of the deal, but still; it's like four games from three studios in that timeframe. If I were EA I would be pumping out as much SW content as I could have in that span, but EA publishes about zero games per year. I have EA Play loving Pro and it's a wasteland. I'm canceling it as soon as I'm done with the LP. The only thing it's saved me money on are two sub-par Battlefield games.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

FoolyCharged posted:

My favorite thing about kotor II is that it's so unfinished the switch release is coming packaged with the content restored mod.

wait what seriously??

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

berryjon posted:

For what it's worth, my understanding is that the "no cutting off limbs of random enemies" thing is less about it being too violent and more about wanting save dismemberment for dramatic purposes--it loses its effect if you're doing it to every enemy you come across.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

ZCKaiser posted:

For what it's worth, my understanding is that the "no cutting off limbs of random enemies" thing is less about it being too violent and more about wanting save dismemberment for dramatic purposes--it loses its effect if you're doing it to every enemy you come across.

I played Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy using the "saber realistic combat" setting, and let me just say, that's absolutely incorrect. It does not get old at all.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

Sally posted:

wait what seriously??

Sounds about right, they did the same thing for the Steam release IIRC. Though to be fair that particular "mod" has always been quietly treated as more of a patch than anything else given that it restores content that was only cut because they literally didn't have time to finish it.

Lazyfire posted:

If I were to start including a death counter on these videos this would be the starting point. Some of the jumps in this game can be janky and weird and you will die on the first try more often than you would think acceptable. I do love that they used the old Zelda "bottomless pit" system where you lose some health if you fall and then load you in right in the area so you don't spend ten minutes fighting and puzzling things out to get to the spot where you will die a few more times at least. At times the game can be surprisingly forgiving. Something this video reminds me is to be more wary of turns and corners. It feels like every edge in this level is populated by things trying to knock me off and over the cliff without much an afterthought.

Zeffo definitely has a lot of ways to harm you if you're not paying attention, but it's definitely rougher than most other planets because most of those obstacles are combined with sheer cliffs. But yeah, on the platforming side it is nice that the devs had the presence of mind to go "if we want the player to do some more complex platforming, we should make sure that they aren't punished too hard for missing a single jump."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I played Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy using the "saber realistic combat" setting, and let me just say, that's absolutely incorrect. It does not get old at all.

What I loved about that setting was that it worked both ways. You run around clowning on stormtroopers and then suddenly you're dead because you thought it was God Mode.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sally posted:

wait what seriously??

Yup, it's being added as a "restored content dlc" so it's an official part of the release.

Dr. Snark posted:

Sounds about right, they did the same thing for the Steam release IIRC. Though to be fair that particular "mod" has always been quietly treated as more of a patch than anything else given that it restores content that was only cut because they literally didn't have time to finish it.

The steam release just gave you easy access to it via the workshop. This is a legitimate, not modding your game inclusion, which will be a first for kotor 2.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

The movements in this game feel so janky. Jerky and weird, like he's a marionette.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

That first rocket dude is a flaming nuisance because you don't really have the skills to counter him yet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

This game seems to take pleasure in making you hate units before you get the chance to clown on them. "Hi, I'm gonna be a joke later. Too bad it's not later yet, strap in."

Edit: that's not a bad thing, mind. On top of the usual reasons, it means that when you get the ability to cheese them it demonstrates what will happen if you don't and then throws other distractions your way. Like the mole rats have shown, simply having three of an easy enemy can be very lethal.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 3, 2022

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

This is a "finally" moment for me as we get Force Push at the end of the episode. I can't explain how good the push ability is, especially because this game has Star Wars OSHA design and most everything more than ten feet off the ground lacks railings or other safety features and I can now effectively knock enemies off structures. In standard combat it's really good for thinning a herd of melee guys or stop some semi-distant Stormtroopers from firing on you while you handle the lightening stick dudes. Slow is a nice ability, but not anywhere near as practicable as a push in combat. Slow tends to wear off after a single hit, so it's great for stalling an unrelenting enemy or making the final blow easy, but push not only has the capacity to do damage/kill enemies outright, but it also leaves human characters flat on their faces so you can do an instant kill move.

The temples in this game are mostly pretty fun puzzle sections. You'll see more of that in the next episode, but they are well thought out and require a bit of work and manipulation of physics to complete. I really do like that the game won't give you an important ability without training you in it first. Giving you both a flashback and a puzzle room gets you familiar with the basics first and then shows you how to best apply what you learned. It's one of those things that smart games narrative games will go ahead and do so you can deal with the new enemies and obstacles right off the bat and not leave you guessing. One thing the game never really conveys are the power limits. If you try to push an enemy over a certain size they'll just shrug it off. If you figure out the Guardian's attack patterns you'll never learn this until it's too late and you take a hit.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
As frustrating as repeatedly missing that jump must've been for you, it was comedy good for us!

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

racerabbit posted:

As frustrating as repeatedly missing that jump must've been for you, it was comedy good for us!

That was decently representative of gameplay, based on my playthroughs. Also, the rats being the biggest threat all through the game.

Though, now that you have Force Push, the game starts getting fun!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
My favorite things to Push- Rockets into enemies, enemies off cliffs.

“What stands in the way becomes the way.” Probably my favorite game quote.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 8, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Gravity has long been the top killer in games for me, so I understand the pain of getting 1-shot by it.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

2 minutes into the video, and I gotta ask, and I don't mean to criticize, because I'm pretty terrible at games that require good reflexes games that require good reflexes and multitasking games that require good reflexes, multitasking and skills most games, but are those jumps BS, or are you bad at them? Or is it a case of "everything's going wrong because the camera's rolling", because that seems to happen on the internet a lot.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Fun stuff. I've decided to keep a running death count tally.

Scrapper - Falls: 1 // Total: 1
Droid - Enemies: 2 Falls: 7 // Total: 9 (10)
Village - Enemies: 2 Falls: 3 Hazards: 1 // Total: 6 (16)
Ruins - Falls: 5 Hazards: 1 // Total: 6 (22)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

painedforever posted:

2 minutes into the video, and I gotta ask, and I don't mean to criticize, because I'm pretty terrible at games that require good reflexes games that require good reflexes and multitasking games that require good reflexes, multitasking and skills most games, but are those jumps BS, or are you bad at them? Or is it a case of "everything's going wrong because the camera's rolling", because that seems to happen on the internet a lot.

I'd say all of the above. Some of the jumps in this game are very finicky, some are fine until your third runback and then things go wrong so badly you wonder how you ever made them in the first place. And it's always going to go wrong on camera. Slides in particular, there's one on a later planet that took me ages because momentum never worked the way I wanted it to.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

The way Force Push (and the later Force powers too, naturally) is introduced, used, and how it affects the gameplay is why I will continue to insist that this game is very Metroid. It opens up so much stuff that you not only have to do, but earlier locations now have accessible secrets, new shortcuts can be unlocked and so on, and naturally there's all the combat applications that have already been mentioned.

Anyway my ranting aside I can say one other thing:

painedforever posted:

I'd say it's a mix of answers A and C there. The game is a little generous with slope jumps, but they can be kinda janky at times. Probably doubly so when you put them on camera. They do get less janky over time...but only because you get abilities to help you compensate for things like that.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Aw man. Those are not answers I wanted to hear! So, on top of being somewhat Souls-like, if I buy this game, I can expect to die a lot to bad jumps?

I wonder if I should take it off my wishlist and just enjoy Lazyfire suffering through it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
some of those jumps look a bit rough. there have been a couple of times where i was sure Lazyfire was going to drop but didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Fun stuff. I've decided to keep a running death count tally.

Scrapper - Falls: 1 // Total: 1
Droid - Enemies: 2 Falls: 7 // Total: 9 (10)
Village - Enemies: 2 Falls: 3 Hazards: 1 // Total: 6 (16)
Ruins - Falls: 5 Hazards: 1 // Total: 6 (22)

we taking bets on the final tally? :homebrew: