Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah, it's been commented on before, but the traversal and gravity of this game is pretty janky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just saw the videos on youtube and thought I should hunt down the thread.

I've seen some of the game played, but always wondered how it ended. Bonus curiosity now, given how Inquisitors are showing up in the Kenobi show.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Fun stuff. I've decided to keep a running death count tally.

Scrapper - Falls: 1 // Total: 1
Droid - Enemies: 2 Falls: 7 // Total: 9 (10)
Village - Enemies: 2 Falls: 3 Hazards: 1 // Total: 6 (16)
Ruins - Falls: 5 Hazards: 1 // Total: 6 (22)

I'll start adding this in episode seven and beyond. Five and six are edited and I think there's maybe four deaths in those two, one of which made me break down laughing for a bit.

Bruceski posted:

I'd say all of the above. Some of the jumps in this game are very finicky, some are fine until your third runback and then things go wrong so badly you wonder how you ever made them in the first place. And it's always going to go wrong on camera. Slides in particular, there's one on a later planet that took me ages because momentum never worked the way I wanted it to.

I'm specifically worried about the number of attempts one of the pull and slow climbing segments will take me in like six videos at my current rate.

So question: how's the editing? I am using Shotcut for these videos, which is way more of a GUI based system than I'm used to. Putting in text and transitions, etc. Are easier at times, and reviewing edits in real time is pretty great. I need to work on some of the swipes and such still for later in the LP where I need to cut more stuff, but I'm fairly happy with the results this far.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Sally posted:

we taking bets on the final tally? :homebrew:

I’m betting at least three from the final encounter. It’s that brutal.

Editing looks good to me.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
My guess for final death count is in the 60-70 range, but that's probably an overestimate.

Lazyfire posted:

I'll start adding this in episode seven and beyond. Five and six are edited and I think there's maybe four deaths in those two, one of which made me break down laughing for a bit.

I laugh like a maniac whenever you plummet into a death pit. Especially when you die several times in a row. I have been there.

You haven't died to a boss (with a boss health bar) yet, and I was going to keep track of those separately from normal enemies. Hazards should be fairly obvious, things like those slamming pumping things, or those exploding plants. (I counted the time you were trying to use the air column to leap, but slammed into a plant and fell as a death by hazard since it wouldn't have happened without the plant being there.)

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

My guess for final death count is in the 60-70 range, but that's probably an overestimate.

I laugh like a maniac whenever you plummet into a death pit. Especially when you die several times in a row. I have been there.

You haven't died to a boss (with a boss health bar) yet, and I was going to keep track of those separately from normal enemies. Hazards should be fairly obvious, things like those slamming pumping things, or those exploding plants. (I counted the time you were trying to use the air column to leap, but slammed into a plant and fell as a death by hazard since it wouldn't have happened without the plant being there.)

Let's see how you count "Physics are a hell of a thing" deaths.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Lazyfire posted:

So question: how's the editing? I am using Shotcut for these videos, which is way more of a GUI based system than I'm used to. Putting in text and transitions, etc. Are easier at times, and reviewing edits in real time is pretty great. I need to work on some of the swipes and such still for later in the LP where I need to cut more stuff, but I'm fairly happy with the results this far.

The videos look smooth and all, but I do have a request:

Could you put up screenshots of the Codex things? I'd love to know what the hell y'all have been scanning and what's being said about everything.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I ended up recording the opening to this video twice. Like I mentioned in the beginning I had to set the LP to the side for a few months because I was spending all the time I would normally have for recording taking care of a bunch of random things that happened. I completely forgot how to play the game and what I was supposed to be doing and had to reorient and restart. It looks like I'm going to have more time on the weekends going forward, so outside of a couple planned trips I should be able to keep the videos coming in a steady stream.

There's nothing more satisfying than pushing rockets back into rocket guys' faces. There's a weird slapstick to the whole experience when it just turns right around and kills the guy who fired it a second before like it's a boomerang with an explosive charge. Sending people off cliffs is a close second in terms of fun times. One thing about all the force powers in the game, however, is that they rely on the force meter, which can only be recharged by leaving combat or landing hits/parries. This keeps you from overusing powers, especially early, while still giving you the option to slow or push or what have you when you absolutely need to. Almost every enemy can be killed with just lightsaber work (the robot at the start of the video isn't alone, but is in limited company all the same), but Rocket Troopers take a lot of patience and effort to kill without a push and are often situated either up high or on unscaleable perches, making them almost require push to take out, but as we've seen, you can totally kill them with just a lightsaber if needed. I really wish there were either a consumable or a regen-over-time mechanic for the force power in addition to the current system just so I wouldn't feel so worried about using a push now and again or of doing power attacks. I'm mixing them in more often now, but it's always in the back of my mind that I may run out of force at a bad time.

painedforever posted:

The videos look smooth and all, but I do have a request:

Could you put up screenshots of the Codex things? I'd love to know what the hell y'all have been scanning and what's being said about everything.

I just need to go in and record all the codex entries, maybe after the next session. I think I mention it as a task to be done in every video, but I just never get around to it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I enjoy the mix of bravado, nervousness and panic in the stormtroopers' barks. It never gets old through the whole game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Also, I remember on my playthrough of this game the piston caused me no end of headaches. I can't recall if I missed that you could go through the middle or I was trying to get on top to see if there was a hidden crate somewhere, but I kept trying to make it in ways the game will not let you do. Took me an hour.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Hmmm... I'm wondering if Cere cut her off from the Force because after suffering under torture, she feels anger and rage and fears falling to the dark side.

A disappointing lack of hilarious deaths.

Walker – Falls: 1 // Total 1 (23)

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Hmmm... I'm wondering if Cere cut her off from the Force because after suffering under torture, she feels anger and rage and fears falling to the dark side.

the one death from physics jank was pretty loving funny though

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I mean, he died after getting stuck in an updraft - that was pretty funny as far as deaths go

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
AT-ST walkers are pretty much standard boss monsters in Star Wars games. Not much I can say about this one. But they’re still enjoyable to fight.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

AT-ST AT-ST AT-ST

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I decided to play the game again (if anyone else picks it up and has performance issues, take it off 60fps. This was designed to run 30fps on consoles (though there's a performance patch for PS5 apparently) and runs like crud at 60. Some people say 45 is fine, whatever your eyes find comfortable, just futz with that before worrying about any of the other graphics settings) and noticed that when fighting the rockets just after getting out of the tomb you can use the wind blasts as shields. A rocket that goes into those will shoot straight up.

Also I beat the AT-ST my preferred way: running up and hacking at the ankles. Not nearly as elegant, but not too difficult.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Where did the AT-ST come from, though?

Did a Gozanti drop it off, or did it climb up over the scenery?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's the Star Wars universe. Leave some crumbs on the floor and they'll turn up.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

it came from upriver

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It was there the whole time, but the pilot was union and enjoying his lunch break.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

*AT-ST climbs up cliff* "Hi."
"Um, hi."
"Nice-looking ship. Is the Jedi here yet?"
"No, just us."
"Bummer. Mind if I hang out here and wait?"
"Go ahead."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It would have been hilarious if it climbed up over the edge of the cliff as Cal arrived. They could have made it look like this fan mod:

One thing Star Wars doesn't have is large humanoid droids. This is a good thing. As much as I love big robots shooting each other, it's a genre well covered elsewhere,

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 13, 2022

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It would have been hilarious if it climbed up over the edge of the cliff as Cal arrived. They could have made it look like this fan mod:

One thing Star Wars doesn't have is large humanoid droids. This is a good thing. As much as I love big robots shooting each other, it's a genre well covered elsewhere,

That looks ridiculous and I love it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What part of 'All-Terrain' are you failing to grasp?

(yeah, it is pretty silly)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Solved the riddle at last!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YBEoTFcmog&t=7s

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

biosterous posted:

it came from upriver

now that's a deep cut

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Here's where I start forgetting the flow of the game, it continues to show in the episode after the next as well. Basically, I forgot things happen when you visit planets for the second or third time even if you think you are only there for collectibles. I make a much graver mistake about the nature of progress in a couple episodes. Even if I suggest this may end up being a filler episode for a portion of the video you should watch all of it, even the dumb parts where I try stupid things. I'm not going to spoiler it here, but you will be confused about some stuff in future videos if you skip this one. Especially the change of scenery at the end. It's a surprise tank/turret section that brings us to our next planet and all.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The opening Kasshyk sequence is an iconic moment in the game. The sequels will have trouble replicating it’s awesomeness.

It also introduces us to Forest Whittaker as Saw Guerra, another example of a character who looks just like their voice actor (who has played Saw in live action, btw).

Watching you move that sphere around brings back so many painful memories. :D

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I really, really like the look and feel of the Mantis. It's a very well designed ship.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
You know, I'd like to see cases where the goodguys spoof the bad guy's IFF, and they aren't ignored, but they're contacted by flight control and just treated like a normal flight with flight plans and the like. Instead of "Oh, they're Empire, let them do as they please" which seems to be S.O.P.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

berryjon posted:

You know, I'd like to see cases where the goodguys spoof the bad guy's IFF, and they aren't ignored, but they're contacted by flight control and just treated like a normal flight with flight plans and the like. Instead of "Oh, they're Empire, let them do as they please" which seems to be S.O.P.

Pretty sure I've seen that happen in some Imperial Assault campaign text, usually when it happens there's a small reference and then everything's directed offscreen.

Of course the most famous literary one is probably when a couple of hobbits spoof enemy IFF and get caught up in a crowd of troops marching the wrong direction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Bonus points: Jedi Fallen Order is currently 75% off on Steam

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Shuttle Tiderian in Return of the Jedi spoofed IFF as you described.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Y'know, I know that we're supposed to like Cordova because he's a Jedi and therefore a good guy, and he speaks gently and keeps addressing Cal as "my friend"... but I don't really like him. He was a lovely Master. He didn't spend any time training up his Padawan (she says she had to teach herself), was obsessed with his personal project (which he kept secret from his apprentices and suchlike) and only kept her around so that he could keep beating her in holochess.

Mind you, feels like par for the course for the Jedi. They feel like absolute assholes in anything that isn't just a very simplified good vs evil narrative.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I wonder if the Walker's reticules fading out as you are firing is supposed to be a metajoke on the inaccuracy of the Imperial troops.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The AT-AT segment was great. Even noticed an Imperial Troop Transport at the 30 minute mark.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The AT-AT segment was great. Even noticed an Imperial Troop Transport at the 30 minute mark.

Yeah. Those actually got used alot in Rebels and one actually shows up in Mandalorian season 2

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

For a universe that's a bunch of wildly different single-biome planets Star Wars has been surprisingly good at designing a consistent aesthetic. Anything fits as long as you add some patches and cover it in dirt.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My main takeaway from the game at this point is that it would be a much better game if you played as Cere. She has an actual personality, motivation, and emotions, all things that seem conspicuously lacking from Cal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cal gets his moments. I think it's flattened by being put in the role of Everyman Protagonist but a Star Wars game is never not gonna do that.