Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
some good news but don't get comfy

Maine passes extensive gun safety bill in response to Lewiston mass shooting

quote:

Lawmakers in Maine voted to enact comprehensive gun safety measures less than six months after the deadliest mass shooting in state history left 18 people dead and more than a dozen injured.

Legislation approved Thursday strengthens background checks on private gun sales and makes it a criminal offense to wantonly provide a firearm to someone who shouldn’t have one.

The bill, urged by Democratic Gov. Janet Mills, also provides funding for a mental health crisis center in Lewiston, where Army reservist Robert Card went on a deadly Oct. 25 shooting spree, targeting a bowling alley and a bar.

Gun safety steps taken Thursday came hours after Maine’s Senate agreed to a 72-hour waiting period on gun purchases. The governor will review that bill as well as another that would ban bump stocks.

Executive director of the Maine Gun Safety Coalition Nacole Palmer called this week’s actions by lawmakers “significant steps” toward keeping citizens safe.

While some Mainers impacted by Card’s shooting spree supported measures to make mass shootings in the state less likely, Ben Dyer, who was shot five times that night, told the Associated Press he’s not sure Thursday’s actions legislators accomplish that feat.

“A sick person did a sick thing that day,” he said. “And the Legislature and politicians are trying to capitalize on that to get their agendas passed.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
“A sick person did a sick thing that day,” he said. “And the Legislature and politicians are pointing to that as evidence that their predictions about what would happen without their laws was correct. Now they're trying to say they have some kind of solution?!"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Background checks, a waiting period, mental health funding--what is this Orwellian nightmare?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
:sickos:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Murdstone posted:

Background checks, a waiting period, mental health funding--what is this Orwellian nightmare?

:ussr:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2024/04/19/boy-now-10-confesses-to-unsolved-murder-of-man-in-gonzales-county-rv-park-when-he-was-7/

I have no words

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

What the gently caress

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

A teardrop in Juvie. Hardcore as gently caress.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Are they gonna arrest the grandpa?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Texas.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

5 Maryland teens shot during water gun fight on senior skip day

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Vegetable posted:

Yeah, that's gotta be negligent homicide/manslaughter or some kind of crime oh wait :911:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Vegetable posted:

It's Texas, so no.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

good look when the cops are stumped for years in a murder case by a 7 year old who lived a few doors down from the victim

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

good look when the cops are stumped for years in a murder case by a 7 year old who lived a few doors down from the victim

Some might say.....
The PERFECT crime!

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
If i win the lottery I am spending all the money sending out ships with guillotines on huge chains to cut all the fiber optic cables in the ocean and destroy the internet once and for all

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

oopsy, brought the wrong gun to the water gun fight.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is an intrusive thought I do not want to have, but surely people have put drain cleaner or bleach in a squirt gun as a way to cause mass maimings or kill specific people, haven’t they?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

I AM GRANDO posted:

This is an intrusive thought I do not want to have, but surely people have put drain cleaner or bleach in a squirt gun as a way to cause mass maimings or kill specific people, haven’t they?

I don't think you could kill someone like that.

You could put a strong acid in a squirt gun and probably do some damage though.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Woah there, Joker. Batman is off this weekend

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Fill a squirt gun with water then put it in the freezer then it shoots ice like a nail gun I saw it in a cartoon it's real.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fill a squirt gun with bullets, the perfect crime

042124_3
Apr 21, 2024
Everybody ready to assemble weapons at the nearby factory?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

If i win the lottery I am spending all the money sending out ships with guillotines on huge chains to cut all the fiber optic cables in the ocean and destroy the internet once and for all

name the ship after that crab in that video that got sucked into that deep sea pipe that ROV was cutting through a pressure differential

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

that's a really long name where'd you paint all that

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

that's a really long name where'd you paint all that

idk just call it ΔP Pipecrab or something

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

nah the old one was better

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

idk just hire one of these guys to paint it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifnsj1gD5Cg

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Same, but billionaires.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/apr/18/143000-t-mobile-bill?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

quote:

US man returns from Europe to $143,000 T-Mobile bill for using phone overseas
Gigantic bill apparently reflected using 9.5 gigabytes of data on a phone that had not been set up for international roaming
Guardian staff
Thu 18 Apr 2024 13.52 BST
A Florida man was stunned to come back from a European trip and – upon checking his phone bill – realize that he had been charged a staggering $143,000 by his phone company for using his device while overseas.

ABC Action News reported that Rene Remund and his wife had toured Switzerland last September and had even gone to a T-Mobile store to share his travel plan with his phone provider before leaving.

But the gigantic bill apparently reflected using some 9.5 gigabytes of data while overseas on a phone that had not been set up for international roaming.

Remund told ABC that he called T-Mobile and waited on hold while the charges were examined and the person he spoke with informed him that the bill was not a mistake and that he was liable for it.

Remund replied: “You’re kidding me?”

He then hired a lawyer, who contacted ABC for help. Shortly after T-Mobile were contacted by ABC, the company offered to credit Remund’s account.

T-Mobile told ABC: “We recommend our customers check the travel features of their plan, such as international data roaming, before departing … if a customer is on an older plan that doesn’t include international roaming for data and calling, they’ll need to make sure they’re using airplane mode and wifi when using data to be certain the device doesn’t connect to an international network.”

Jesus. Reminds me of when I first moved abroad to China and couldn’t swap out the SIM card since I had originally bought my phone on contract from Verizon, despite having the contract fully paid off. I ended up having to use WiFi for a solid 3 years before I finally gave in bought a new phone.

Most countries let you buy a phone first then choose a service provider, but of course in the US we have to be special and different so you need to pick a service provider first then buy a phone.

I like how in the above story all it took to wipe a crippling amount of debt was publicly embarrassing the major telecom provider.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Don't AT&T and T-Mobile use a different wireless standard than Verizon?

I remember being taught in one of my engineering classes that Verizon service doesn't work in most foreign countries because they're not equipped to support it but will support the other two just fine, although that was back in 2009 so maybe it's different now.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lol that breaking up AT&T into the Baby Bells combined with the deregs of the late90's-early Aughts eventually turned out to be an Actual Bad Thing™

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm glad they gave us the little waxed cheeses though. there's always a silver lining

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I. M. Gei posted:

Don't AT&T and T-Mobile use a different wireless standard than Verizon?

I remember being taught in one of my engineering classes that Verizon service doesn't work in most foreign countries because they're not equipped to support it but will support the other two just fine, although that was back in 2009 so maybe it's different now.

That was GSM versus CDMA, which is not really a thing anymore.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/apr/18/143000-t-mobile-bill?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Most countries let you buy a phone first then choose a service provider, but of course in the US we have to be special and different so you need to pick a service provider first then buy a phone.

I do this in the US with some frequency. Buy an unlocked phone, then choose a carrier. At this point I vastly prefer to buy an unlocked universal phone and then run it on prepaid service - it ends up being way more convenient and overall cheaper than buying a phone through a carrier on postpaid service, and I don't have to deal with carrier bloatware and uninstallable apps.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah. For the past few years covid was the number one killer of cops lol.

Also pizza delivery drivers have a far more dangerous job than cops.

Why not simply combine the two and have cops deliver pizza?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

me: you forgot my crazy bread

pizza cop: :blastu:
BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Jesus. Reminds me of when I first moved abroad to China and couldn’t swap out the SIM card since I had originally bought my phone on contract from Verizon, despite having the contract fully paid off. I ended up having to use WiFi for a solid 3 years before I finally gave in bought a new phone.

I like how in the above story all it took to wipe a crippling amount of debt was publicly embarrassing the major telecom provider.

We've been able to buy unlocked phones like as long as cell phones have been a thing. Advertising would have you believe you don't have the choice but it's always been there.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Why not simply combine the two and have cops deliver pizza?

Have pizza delivery handle crimes

'Sir put down the gun, I have a hand stretched pepperoni and I am NOT afraid to use the pineapple.'

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

We've been able to buy unlocked phones like as long as cell phones have been a thing. Advertising would have you believe you don't have the choice but it's always been there.

Regardless, having experienced getting a locked/contracted phone vs unlocked, unlocked is a million times less headache-inducing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Outrail posted:

Have pizza delivery handle crimes

'Sir put down the gun, I have a hand stretched pepperoni and I am NOT afraid to use the pineapple.'

You wouldn't do that to a poor innocent pie!

And you call me a criminal? I'm just robbing a bank here.