Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Shoresy is a spinoff of the smash hit of iconic Canadiana, Letterkenny, and follows its titular character as he moves to Sudbury, Ontario to build up a AAA Seniors' hockey team.

If you dug Letterkenny at all, you'll like this. It's the same rapid-fire comedy, although seems to balance that with a more substantial continuing plot (the hockey team) than how Letterkenny was largely shorter plotlines that existed to support the riff-based interactions. If any character was going to get a spinoff show, it was obviously Shoresy; the show pays respect to its roots with his signature relentless insults about how creatively he hosed everyone's moms. Much like Letterkenny, it's also got some incredible representation onscreen. Lots of great indigenous actors. And I think they may have even dialed up the Canadiana from the previous show. Definitely worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I adore me some Letterkenny, but if this show gives us a Keeso protagonist who might occasionally lose a fight or meet a woman who doesn’t immediately want to gently caress him, then that’s a welcome change of pace.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Haven’t seen Shoresy yet, but I wish they’d either give the hockey players first names or do away with the occasional TSN segments, because it’s awkward as all get out to have the analysts referring to these guys by last name only.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

General Dog posted:

Haven’t seen Shoresy yet, but I wish they’d either give the hockey players first names
First names, huh?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_8Qo8IN4DM

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, I'm two episodes in and already they've addressed some of the expected gripes from fans in pretty humourous ways ('The Jims' obviously being the best so far). You do still get a sense that there's a bit of Mary-Sue-ism going on with Keeso writing for himself - this was why it took me more than a season to really warm up to Letterkenny - but for sure there's more humility about it in this show.

Just like its progenitor, the show also has great music direction. When it's not surprisingly deep rave cuts, there's a lot of new CanCon in the soundtrack.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Works for me

Jim Shore
Jim Reilly
Jim Jones (not that one)
Jim Barts
Jim York
Jim Schultz
Jim Fisk
Jim Boomtown
Jim McMurray
Jim Jim Dickens

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 25, 2022

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

He was wise in taking about 15-20% off the Shoresy voice for the spin-off.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I love it. It's frenetic and balls out crazy with more of a narrative than Letterkenny.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Give your balls a tug, titfucker.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Lard, Jesus I love the Newfie.

Edit: I love the Utopian Canadian conciet that everyone is fluently bilingual and simply respond to each other in their preferred language.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 25, 2022

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I've watched through all the available episodes and holy poo poo, this might actually be better than Letterkenny in a lot of ways. They absolutely captured the small-town Canada hockey culture pretty much to a tee! I was absolutely howling at the final scene of Episode 4, incredible! Or should I say, c'etait incroyable!

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Do they still do that thing from Letterkenny where they all ignore what every one else is saying just so they can go back and forth with the sick puns and comedy riffs for waaay too long while the camera slowly dollies across? Do they still run a bit into the ground?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Lard, Jesus I love the Newfie.

If ya'd been to Newfoundland, ya wouldn't call 'em Newfies.

stratdax posted:

Do they still do that thing from Letterkenny where they all ignore what every one else is saying just so they can go back and forth with the sick puns and comedy riffs for waaay too long while the camera slowly dollies across? Do they still run a bit into the ground?

Yes, but less so. As mentioned above, it's definitely got a stronger narrative than Letterkenny, it's less a vehicle for riffing jokes back and forth. The hockey trash-talk is just about the only place they go full-on into the riffage, and that was the best part of the hockey moments on the original show anyway.

gently caress YOU, SHORESY!!!

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

General Dog posted:

Yeah any time you can see his face he's a lot more subdued with it. I think when he's in a stall its pretty close to the same as it was in Letterkenny though.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I dew ze plays by plays

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
It's reminiscent of Letterkenny S1, which had a more dramatic tones than the rest of the seasons; Stewart's S1 arc, for example.

General Dog posted:

Yeah and making him kinda thin-skinned off the ice and out of the locker room.

Also, Jacob Tierney is an incredibly solid director.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Did I mention how good the music direction is in Keeso's shows? I think he used to be a raver or something, because some of the electronic cuts are deep. Letterkenny had loads of Drum & Bass and Jungle, including DJ Fresh's Gold Dust. There's a ton of modern EDM, some really banging Trap tunes. And episode 3 had almost the entire hockey game sequence set to Elektrobank, one of my all-time favourite Chemical Brothers tunes. I know my buddy who edited some episodes of both shows is a huge junglist, but I don't think he has much say in the music direction.

The Canadian content representation is tremendous too. Skoden by Snotty Nose Rez Kids is a huge track, and look out for Toronto buddies' punk band Bike Thiefs, they've got a song in an upcoming episode I think.

Oh yeah, and the Canadian celebs that have made cameos are great. Jonathan Torrens, but especially Scott Thompson's appearance in E4 is incredible. I hope he's a mainstay.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 27, 2022

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Gonna pop some popcorn for the finale ice some puppers I swear to God I'd be so good to ya.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Good poo poo. I enjoyed the serial narrative and Shorsey's Shorseyness wasn't too grating as the main protagonist. Im glad I watched it and I hope it comes back

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Chyah-so, I'm enjoying the absolute hell out of this show. It's all the things I liked about Letterkenny (which is starting to stretch pretty thin) but condensed and refined. I think my favorite bit is how completely genteel and saccharine Shoresy is with that press lady he's trying to court, compared to pretty much any other interaction he has with just about everyone else.

Also the 'C' scene was simultaneously touching and hilarious.

Only thing is in not sure what the hell happened in the last episode: So they're getting their poo poo pushed in, 5:2 on the scoreboard, they've admitted they're not gonna win, they have a nice moment with the fans, but after all of that it's still... Just the end of the third quarter?

Then they're out running in the streets with the fans, talking about the next game, so they're not gonna fold like they said they would? Or is there still another quarter to go and a comeback isn't impossible?

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 28, 2022

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

McKilligan posted:

Chyah-so, I'm enjoying the absolute hell out of this show. It's all the things I liked about Letterkenny (which is starting to stretch pretty thin) but condensed and refined. I think my favorite bit is how completely genteel and saccharine Shoresy is with that press lady he's trying to court, compared to pretty much any other interaction he has with just about everyone else.

Also the 'C' scene was simultaneously touching and hilarious.

Only thing is in not sure what the hell happened in the last episode: So they're getting their poo poo pushed in, 5:2 on the scoreboard, they've admitted they're not gonna win, they have a nice moment with the fans, but after all of that it's still... Just the end of the third quarter?

Then they're out running in the streets with the fans, talking about the next game, so they're not gonna fold like they said they would? Or is there still another quarter to go and a comeback isn't impossible?

I had to google it but Hockey has 3 periods. I was wondering that too. But I think they realized that this loss is going to set up for them to "never lose again" because the Sioux team is going to be afraid of them from now on. So I'd guess they will still fold to keep their word but then reopen as a new team? Or they might not fold. Not really sure.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

In this fictional four team league everyone makes the playoffs. The Sudberry Blueberry Goldendoodles, recognizing the game was lost, spent the third period beating the absolute dogshit out of the Soo. When they play again, the Soo will be broken and afraid.

Now one might wonder why the Soo didn't pull their starters when the plan became clear but we're already accepting that a team could win the league with a 5-20 record so...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Based on reading the thread so far and taking into account the hockey mic'd up segments were some of the best moments in Letterkenny, I'm sold on checking this out.

stratdax posted:

God, it got to where I was fast-forwarding through all the minute-plus pun contests amongst the main cast.

They had novelty early on but it got to a point where I would think to myself "That'll do, let's keep goi--PITTER PATTER" when watching those parts.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Man, Shoresy and really the entire hockey scene was the absolute worst aspect of Letterkenny, but maybe some desperate night I might give this a try.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

AcidCat posted:

Man, Shoresy and really the entire hockey scene was the absolute worst aspect of Letterkenny, but maybe some desperate night I might give this a try.

I'm sorry.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I always though the worst part of Letterkenny was when everyone sits down and takes turns doing rapid-fire puns using the word "duck" or "moist".

That or the time Reilly and Jonesy and Dax and Ronzy spent a whole season naming different theoretical takedown nationalities.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 30, 2022

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I love Dax and Ronzy and that whole line of jokes kinda sucked.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The pun riffing isn't for everyone, a major point of contention between people who love Letterkenny and people who can't stand it. Like I said they've toned it down in favour of an actual narrative and jokes that are more substantial for the spinoff, but there's still a reserved dose of riffage every now and then.

The only time it got old for me in the original show was in a later season when Stewart and Roald were riffing monikers for their DJ duo. I've been doing that for years (call me MIDI Amin) and the names they threw out were just uninspired.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Watch a few episodes, don't give a gently caress about Sanguinet, hasn't even made me crack a smile.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

There's some jokes that miss, and I don't get what they were going for with the weird brothers, but aside from that it's a pretty solid little season and the third period montage in ep 6 is an absolute love note to small town hockey.

Shoresy and Laura Mohr have crazy chemistry, he'd be so good to her.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The dick popping out was one of the greatest things ever and Idk where they're airing this but I'm surprised it made it

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Milo and POTUS posted:

The dick popping out was one of the greatest things ever and Idk where they're airing this but I'm surprised it made it

the righteous gemstones have taken penis-based humor to new heights in the 21st century, so a few flaccid dicks here and there aren't that uncommon these days.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Nothing wrong with a little Crave and misbehave

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Eat This Glob posted:

the righteous gemstones have taken penis-based humor to new heights in the 21st century, so a few flaccid dicks here and there aren't that uncommon these days.

That show also had a good dick peek reveal in season 1. What about season 2

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Jody Hill has perfected the art form of humourous male nudity. It's no surprise it's rubbing off on some other producers.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Still so tickled at how expressive Shoresey is both physically and emotionally. There are so many delightful facets to this show, like how indigenous women run the hockey world, grown men getting VERY serious about ice cream cones, and the importance of calling parents after flights and games.

Still losing it at this face, it’s living in my head rent-free constantly

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

i havent watched this yet but i watched a clip of shorsey arguing with kids and it was pretty good.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

the escape goat posted:

Still so tickled at how expressive Shoresey is both physically and emotionally. There are so many delightful facets to this show, like how indigenous women run the hockey world, grown men getting VERY serious about ice cream cones, and the importance of calling parents after flights and games.

Still losing it at this face, it’s living in my head rent-free constantly

I like that he unapologetically cries at things and people are just like "yeah"

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Pleads posted:

I like that he unapologetically cries at things and people are just like "yeah"

'O Canda' plays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Slamhound posted:

'O Canda' plays

You take my lane one time tonight Apeldoorn and I'll take your entire fuckin' top row!