Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Slamhound posted:

It's reminiscent of Letterkenny S1, which had a more dramatic tones than the rest of the seasons; Stewart's S1 arc, for example.

I loved letterkenny season 1 and by season 4 or 5 I was completely sick of it because they took that stuff out and just made the protagonists superheroes.

When 5 minutes of your 20 minute show is the protagonists walking slowly to music after they've just won another fight it's time to give your balls a tug.

So I was going to pass on Shoresy but this means I might take a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
gently caress you shoresy!!

wait this isn't just a thread about letterkenny?

ugh

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

the escape goat posted:

Still so tickled at how expressive Shoresey is

Huh?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I kind of wish they hadn’t hung a lantern on that gag at the very beginning; seems like something that’s more fun to let the audience pick up on as the show goes on.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I'm being obnoxiously slow at watching this. Just got to JROC and Glenn as the Quebecois agent guys. That's good poo poo.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

…have you not watched the show? dude goes through ranges of emotions and is a well-rounded character rather than just being a poopin’ chirp machine.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I don't know if anyone paid for product placement, but it got me. I'm having a stick right now. It's unbelievable.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Wish I had a stick

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

the escape goat posted:

…have you not watched the show?

What?

the escape goat posted:

dude goes through ranges of emotions and is a well-rounded character rather than just being a poopin’ chirp machine.

Yes, he does. It's a nice counterbalance to his deliberately annoying traits (goddamn, his voice). The Shore family reunion was really well done character exposition without having to be explicit about anything.

I enjoyed the show and found it at least as funny as Lettterkenny, and it relies less on repetitive gags without dropping them entirely. I'm not sure how much a non-hockey fan would get out of it. The hockey scenes are reasonably well done and far from overwhelming but some parts like the intros are heavy on references that will likely sail over the heads of even casual fans.

The part I have mixed feelings about is that Shoresy is a real loving piece of poo poo on the ice and often in the locker room, to his own teammates. It's a bit jarring how it's a lighthearted look at some of the toxic aspects of sports/hockey culture (not so much homophobia/misogyny/racism) in terms of low stakes hyper competitiveness and ultraviolence. You'd hate to play against an rear end in a top hat like Shoresy in adult rec leagues or really any level of junior hockey, and some of his teammates hated him enough to quit too. The show veers more toward glorifying his lumber laying than really being critical of it, and mostly gets away with it because well, it is funny and nobody gets seriously hurt. It also contrasts with the fairly idyllic portrayal of Quebecois and indigenous relations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

2/3rds if the way through the season I’m having a good enough time, but I’m not sure if a story focused one narrative and one set of characters really caters to the strengths of the of the writers. Letterkenny really benefits from having at least three distinct (if intersecting) social spheres it can alternate between at its leisure. Even just over the course of 6 episodes, Shoresy feels a little claustrophobic by comparison.

I think part of it is that so far nobody other than Shoresy himself really pops when it comes to the main cast of players. (Which isn’t especially surprising given the number of non-actors and/or non English speakers)

General Dog fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 5, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I did not appreciate that virtually all of the ringers, not just Diaby, are former hockey players with more or less truthful bios:

Dolo (Jonathan Diaby): indeed a former third round pick and rapper
Goody (Andrew Antsanen): former low-level hockey goon, not sure about the lacrosse career since lacrosse stats didn't show up on search but he had a few MMA fights for good measure
Hitch (Terry Ryan): 1995 round 1 #8 overall by Montréal Canadiens
Michaels: says he grew up playing hockey but I guess not at any notable level
JJ (Max Bouffard): Ok, only one game on record as a skater, but it appears he was also a goalie as a junior and lost almost every game he played, including for the Manitoulin Islanders (A++ name for a hockey team; only the Treasure Islanders could be better)
Embarrassingly, I didn't recognize that the Jims are Jordan Nolan (probably the best actual hockey player of the bunch, no offense to Diaby), his brother Brandon Nolan, and actual loving legend Jon "Nasty" Mirasty, who is definitely the toughest goon. Not to mention that Mirasty played for the even more legendary Danbury Trashers, themselves subject of a Netflix documentary on their incredible mafia ties (see a short interview about it here).

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I somehow just discovered LetterKenny and am just about to finish season 1. Can I pick this up anytime? I don’t think Shorsey has been shown yet side from the two dimwit hockey players cussing at him off screen.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

You can pick it up any time, but if you’re enjoying Letterkenny I’d go ahead and exhaust that first.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Stick with Letterkenny until it starts to feel a bit stale. Then Shoresy will hit just about perfect.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 7, 2022

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Milo and POTUS posted:

That show also had a good dick peek reveal in season 1. What about season 2

easily the greatest dick reveal in TV history took place in season 2

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

KilGrey posted:

I somehow just discovered LetterKenny and am just about to finish season 1. Can I pick this up anytime? I don’t think Shorsey has been shown yet side from the two dimwit hockey players cussing at him off screen.

He gets a bit of a sendoff in the most recent season. I'll echo what others have said, and say stick w/ Letterkenny until it feels a bit worn and you should be pretty well prepped to hop over to Shoresy.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

ptkfvk posted:

i havent watched this yet but i watched a clip of shorsey arguing with kids and it was pretty good.

This was my experience. The clip showed up as a recommended video, I watched it and laughed pretty hard. I'd never watched Letterkenny, so this was a surprise.

All in all, I enjoyed it quite a bit and recommended it to all of my friends that are at least a little bit into hockey.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
I know gently caress all about hockey, am very much into Letterkenny and found this to be a fun watch. Really liked the ideosyncrasies. IMDB bills Shoresy as a "miniseries", wiki doesn't seem to reflect that but doesn't offer any info on anything past a first season. I actually wouldn't mind if this was just a one-off, it feels pretty good as is.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

McKilligan posted:

Only thing is in not sure what the hell happened in the last episode: So they're getting their poo poo pushed in, 5:2 on the scoreboard, they've admitted they're not gonna win, they have a nice moment with the fans, but after all of that it's still... Just the end of the third quarter?

Then they're out running in the streets with the fans, talking about the next game, so they're not gonna fold like they said they would? Or is there still another quarter to go and a comeback isn't impossible?

Hockey has three periods, not four, but either way this sequence was pretty roughly edited. Shorsey puking in the toilet with his teammates around him telling him the plan was a flashback to the previous locker room break, where we saw that happening but couldn't hear what they were saying. So they proceed with the plan for the third period:

just beat the poo poo out of the Soo and score at least one goal in the third period to shake them up enough to be able to beat them in the playoffs. The Bulldogs lose the game at the end of the third period, they have a nice moment with the fans and GM, and then Shorsey convinces the GM NOT to fold. When she asks "what are you going to do to up your game for the playoffs", he looks at the weight machine, implying the team is actually going to work out and practice and get better. Then them running the street with all the fans is after all of this.

Note: in this four-team league, every team makes the playoffs regardless of how they perform in the regular season.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 22, 2022

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Hockey: where the rules are made up and the points don't matter!

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
Run em up and fill em in.

Love this show and the sound track is unbelievable.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The whole series is worth it for this one Shoresy insult, spoiling to save it if you havent seen it:

You know whats hosed, the number of times your mom faked a jellyfish sting to get me to piss on her.

I had to freeze it and laughed so hard. Still giggle now at it.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp

happyhippy posted:

The whole series is worth it for this one Shoresy insult, spoiling to save it if you havent seen it:

You know whats hosed, the number of times your mom faked a jellyfish sting to get me to piss on her.

I had to freeze it and laughed so hard. Still giggle now at it.

That and the family reunion one about his sister's "firing digits up each other"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I watched it all in a day. I really enjoyed it. Now I want more.

Those hockey scenes set to the music were so good.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'd like to see them go to the playoffs, but maybe it's better if they leave it there. Letterkenny had so many filler scenes later on I'd hate to see that happen here

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The fact that Laura knows Shoresy enough to copy his Huh? Is such a cute little detail. And something that has oddly stuck with me. He'd be so loving good to her. He's really gonna shoot his shot one day.

eXXon posted:

I did not appreciate that virtually all of the ringers, not just Diaby, are former hockey players with more or less truthful bios:

Dolo (Jonathan Diaby): indeed a former third round pick and rapper
Goody (Andrew Antsanen): former low-level hockey goon, not sure about the lacrosse career since lacrosse stats didn't show up on search but he had a few MMA fights for good measure
Hitch (Terry Ryan): 1995 round 1 #8 overall by Montréal Canadiens
Michaels: says he grew up playing hockey but I guess not at any notable level
JJ (Max Bouffard): Ok, only one game on record as a skater, but it appears he was also a goalie as a junior and lost almost every game he played, including for the Manitoulin Islanders (A++ name for a hockey team; only the Treasure Islanders could be better)
Embarrassingly, I didn't recognize that the Jims are Jordan Nolan (probably the best actual hockey player of the bunch, no offense to Diaby), his brother Brandon Nolan, and actual loving legend Jon "Nasty" Mirasty, who is definitely the toughest goon. Not to mention that Mirasty played for the even more legendary Danbury Trashers, themselves subject of a Netflix documentary on their incredible mafia ties (see a short interview about it here).

This rules and is obvious in hindsight.

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006
This was excellent, like a tightened up version of Letterkenny. I’m really looking forward to another season of this, but I’m trying not to hold my breath after being spoiled by how frequently Letterkenny seasons get released.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah I watched it again and the only part I thought was a little too out there was the policetti brothers.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON
The actress who played Miigwan was randomly shot in L.A

She's Ok, and back in Canada recovering but holy gently caress

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Jesus christ lower alberta is a crazy place

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

“tough Native is redundant” indeed.

so glad she’s recovering well, what the absolute gently caress at that happening?!

she’s got a kickstarter to help with medical bills if anyone is so inclined. owing $80k to survive being shot is just… ugh

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Pleads posted:

You take my lane one time tonight Apeldoorn and I'll take your entire fuckin' top row!

you’re gonna have Bauer imprinted on your bicuspids

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ShoresyHockey/status/1646531227829293057?s=20

Do you think Laura will let Shorsey be good to her? Huh?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

So dumb.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

algebra testes posted:

https://twitter.com/ShoresyHockey/status/1646531227829293057?s=20

Do you think Laura will let Shorsey be good to her? Huh?

You know he’d be so good to her.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I just rewatched season one and its so loving good.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Settle down.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Looking forward to adding half a dozen more incredible tracks to my playlists

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Run em up, fill em in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ShoresyHockey/status/1692204734336143687?t=ujVm2DjpQxdwLvlEu6kTVw&s=19

So dumb.