Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Michaels getting to eat his stick before the others but not as a game stick.

This season has been brilliant for those little moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://x.com/ShoresyHockey/status/1717203191320776733?s=20

Lmao that was fast. S3 confirmed already before people outside Canada have season Season 2

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

algebra testes posted:

https://x.com/ShoresyHockey/status/1717203191320776733?s=20

Lmao that was fast. S3 confirmed already before people outside Canada have season Season 2

this team will never lose again

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Episode 6 dropped and somehow topped last week. The kid playing the recorder with hands wrong-way round was priceless.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp

Jonny Quest posted:

Episode 6 dropped and somehow topped last week. The kid playing the recorder with hands wrong-way round was priceless.

That's probably the moment of the season for me so far. The first 2 episodes were not great but the subsequent 4 have more than made up for it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Jonny Quest posted:

Watching it now and that was good haha

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
The other bit in ep6 that really stood out for me was When each of the sluts love interests walk in and they see them and score, but Shoresy just commits a brutal foul instead. Screw it, I'm going to watch it again.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So that’s it for season 2 then?

I don’t watch a lot of stuff but this is currently my favorite running show by a lot.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't love the start of the season but paid off in the end.

I still think that Season 1 is a masterpiece, like perfect TV, and Season 2 isn't that but it couldn't be so that's not a problem.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Legit air fist bumping in the air that last ep.

loving A, love this show.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Final season of Letterkenny coming out Christmas. Makes sense, it’s been losing steam for a minute.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Fartington Butts posted:

Final season of Letterkenny coming out Christmas. Makes sense, it’s been losing steam for a minute.

Honestly, I’m good with this. If it brings good closure then I’ll happily call of one of my favorite shows ever.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Finally finished season 2. Incredible stuff. The game montages in the finale were so sweet. The soundtrack was on point.

The only thing that made me a tiny bit uncomfortable was the dinner scene, which definitely subverted being transphobic cleverly, but in light of some comments Scott Thompson apparently made at a show last year it's got him in an awkward light.

Still the show is like, the sweetest most wholesome thing ever, even with all its vulgarity. The boys scoring for their girls in the montage was sweet, and every scene between Laura and Shoresy is downright inspiring.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
The scene where some of the Soo start chirping at JJ and Shoresy immediately and viciously says "you don't talk to him* is such a great understanding of Sports

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Fartington Butts posted:

Season 11 in its entirety was worse than Fartbook. It's a really low point in a show full of highs.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Horace Kinch posted:

Season 11 in its entirety was worse than Fartbook. It's a really low point in a show full of highs.

I liked the kind of dour ending just as something new, but overall it was a pretty forgettable season. I guess all I remember are "Prostate", which is one vaguely amusing bit stretched out to 20 minutes, and episodes like chips one where the whole episode is a conversation that would've been tedious after 3 minutes. That said, they've made hay out of a flimsy premise before, like the spelling bee episode which is an all-timer.

Overall Letterkenny has always reminded me a bit of South Park in that it's really palpable that you've got essentially two guys writing every episode, seemingly on a pretty short timetable. Sometimes they're going to strike gold, but a lot of times inspiration just doesn't come and you get an episode where the gang spitball puns about geese for 12 minutes and round things out by punching people in slow motion over a Wolf Alice track. Basically the equivalent of turning in your mandatory two-page essay with 14 pt font and double-spaced. ~70 episodes in and the hit rate is probably going to decrease.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 6, 2023

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

General Dog posted:

Sometimes they're going to strike gold, but a lot of times inspiration just doesn't come and you get an episode where the gang spitball puns about geese for 12 minutes and round things out by punching people in slow motion over a Wolf Alice track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXi6SSgld0Q

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

General Dog posted:

I liked the kind of dour ending just as something new, but overall it was a pretty forgettable season. I guess all I remember are "Prostate", which is one vaguely amusing bit stretched out to 20 minutes, and episodes like chips one where the whole episode is a conversation that would've been tedious after 3 minutes. That said, they've made hay out of a flimsy premise before, like the spelling bee episode which is an all-timer.

Overall Letterkenny has always reminded me a bit of South Park in that it's really palpable that you've got essentially two guys writing every episode, seemingly on a pretty short timetable. Sometimes they're going to strike gold, but a lot of times inspiration just doesn't come and you get an episode where the gang spitball puns about geese for 12 minutes and round things out by punching people in slow motion over a Wolf Alice track. Basically the equivalent of turning in your mandatory two-page essay with 14 pt font and double-spaced. ~70 episodes in and the hit rate is probably going to decrease.

The spelling bee episode is one of my favorite episodes of anything ever. I’m pretty sure every single side character made me crack up at least once.

Joint boy screaming into the mic when he loses, McMurray having a meltdown and then just causally saying “yous wants to get hammered?” Everything the hockey players say.

It’s all so so funny.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

funny show

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
season 7 is my fav, just because of all the Crack an Ag scenes. And Mcmurray getting demolished about his dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpLj3ZAjvnU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
"You're opening with 'space is huge'?" is an all-time best line in TV comedy, drat. There's so much to appreciate about this show.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Having caught up with the second season, I don't think I enjoy Shoresy on the whole as much as the strongest seasons of Letterkenny, but Shoresy himself is for sure a more dynamic, interesting character than Wayne.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Maybe the episode merits a rewatch, but I was a bit confused with what our takeaway was supposed to be in "Accountability" when Shoresy declines to go home with Laura Mohr in the name of practicing what he's preached to the team about staying focused, then ends up hooking up with her later in the episode when the game is still yet to be played. Did he have some epiphany between point A and point B that I missed, or did he just cave and it turned out to be inconsequential?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

it'll probably be addressed in season 3

gotta plant the seeds of drama and let them grow a little

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

General Dog posted:

Maybe the episode merits a rewatch, but I was a bit confused with what our takeaway was supposed to be in "Accountability" when Shoresy declines to go home with Laura Mohr in the name of practicing what he's preached to the team about staying focused, then ends up hooking up with her later in the episode when the game is still yet to be played. Did he have some epiphany between point A and point B that I missed, or did he just cave and it turned out to be inconsequential?

stated several times (paraphrasing) about what’s the point if you don’t have someone to share it with

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

General Dog posted:

The quote:
But I'm not here to tell ya to... refrain. I'm not here to tell ya not to hammer rear end. But you need to be accountable. [...]

If you wanna hammer rear end all day, you can't be doggin' it come game time.[...]

So maybe you try, just once, not hammerin' rear end all night the night before a game.

So less accountability and more moderation.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Good observations in both cases; that clears it up a bit.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Last season of Letterkenny is up on Crave and Hulu. I binged it yesterday. It wraps up pretty well.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Fartington Butts posted:

Last season of Letterkenny is up on Crave and Hulu. I binged it yesterday. It wraps up pretty well.

The best line in the whole season is "pretty sure to wear that hat you've gotta be able to run a 4 minute mile"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Fartington Butts posted:

I was a bit surprised/disappointed they didn't pay off Gaye coming back into Stewart's life, which I thought they'd do eventually, or anything involving Bonnie

Otherwise I enjoyed it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I loved the finale. I'm going to miss the characters who don't show up in spin-offs or cameos on those spin-offs. Letterkenny Cinematic Universe.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

This season was definitely an apology for the last one. My only gripe was the first episode's "we ran out of jokes, here's 10 minutes of people dancing."

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Horace Kinch posted:

This season was definitely an apology for the last one. My only gripe was the first episode's "we ran out of jokes, here's 10 minutes of people dancing."

Isn't this how literally every season premiere is for Letterkenny? Down to Wayne getting into a fight and the party music rolling to credits.

It was a competent enough, well deserved send off. Nothing crazy, just some last minute Letterkenny before they say good bye.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I’m in the middle of binging seasons 7-11 going into the last season. Season 8, which gives us the hockey championship, Dierks, and the Holy Sheet episode, may be the best the show ever was. The good episodes are pretty few and far between after that.

Kind of wish we got more Dierks, I think he’s a funny character and I enjoy how much he puts Wayne off and kind of throws him off balance in a way few characters do.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I couldn't find a Letterkenny thread anywhere.

We watched the last seasonette of the show last week over the course of a couple of nights. It was... well, as has been mentioned, there was a tipping point somewhere at which the quality definitely started going steadily downhill. I can't say for certain where I'd put it, but the last min-season was... OKish, sorta?

They leaned pretty heavily on the riffing, but it felt tired. They went all-in on the whole degen thing, and while hicks vs. degens was par for the course for this show, this time it just felt mean, and not in a good or funny way. They went so hard on it that I expected at some point that they'd come to the realization that their irrational hatred was a nod and a wink away from something open bigotry (but without the obvious racial element), and maybe that's not such a good thing. But then the show itself justifies their attitudes by showing the degens being cartoonishly evil and reckless, with nary a redeemable soul amongst the group.

I get what they were going for, but it didn't hit right for me at all, and it just reminded me of racism and antisemitism without actually being either. It's not the easiest balance to strike, I guess, but they managed it in the past. This season, not so much.

I'm glad Wayne's relationship went the way it did, though, because that pairing never made a lot of sense to me. Also, their decisions were true to both of their characters.

That ugliness aside, the last episode was decent. The skids got some level of redemption, even if they had all become annoying caricatures. And I liked the pull-out shots of the iconic filming locations, especially the church, where the candles blew out, which was a nice touche that kind-of saved the episode and season for me.

The show overstayed its welcome, but honestly, for something that started as a series of short YouTube videos almost totally devoid of plot, it did OK.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

tarlibone posted:

I couldn't find a Letterkenny thread anywhere.

We watched the last seasonette of the show last week over the course of a couple of nights. It was... well, as has been mentioned, there was a tipping point somewhere at which the quality definitely started going steadily downhill. I can't say for certain where I'd put it, but the last min-season was... OKish, sorta?

They leaned pretty heavily on the riffing, but it felt tired. They went all-in on the whole degen thing, and while hicks vs. degens was par for the course for this show, this time it just felt mean, and not in a good or funny way. They went so hard on it that I expected at some point that they'd come to the realization that their irrational hatred was a nod and a wink away from something open bigotry (but without the obvious racial element), and maybe that's not such a good thing. But then the show itself justifies their attitudes by showing the degens being cartoonishly evil and reckless, with nary a redeemable soul amongst the group.

I get what they were going for, but it didn't hit right for me at all, and it just reminded me of racism and antisemitism without actually being either. It's not the easiest balance to strike, I guess, but they managed it in the past. This season, not so much.

I'm glad Wayne's relationship went the way it did, though, because that pairing never made a lot of sense to me. Also, their decisions were true to both of their characters.

That ugliness aside, the last episode was decent. The skids got some level of redemption, even if they had all become annoying caricatures. And I liked the pull-out shots of the iconic filming locations, especially the church, where the candles blew out, which was a nice touche that kind-of saved the episode and season for me.

The show overstayed its welcome, but honestly, for something that started as a series of short YouTube videos almost totally devoid of plot, it did OK.

That's where I thought they were going with the Hicks vs. Degens thing too. Daryl sees he has something in common with the degens, so he starts hanging out with them, this causes friction, but in the end they're not so bad, right? That thing has been done in Letterkenny before - look how many season villains became just part of the crew. Instead it played on some awful stereotypes about the "dumb poors".

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Really loved the ending montage of settings

Also degens beat dogs for fun and brag about it, gently caress degens, every episode should have degens getting their poo poo kicked in

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
A little birdie told me Keeso has a a contract with CBC or Crave directly or something for a few dozen more episodes, so we're definitely getting more Shoresy and at least one other spinoff.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

A little birdie told me Keeso has a a contract with CBC or Crave directly or something for a few dozen more episodes, so we're definitely getting more Shoresy and at least one other spinoff.

A show about Jim Dickens' rise to country music fame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Spinoff ideas

Double Dragon featuring Tyson & Joint Boy
Double Dragon featuring Jonesy & Reilly
Double Dragon featuring Gayle & Glenn
Dirty Jobs but it's Glenn instead of Mike Rowe
Mythbusters but with Stewart & Roald + Jonesy & Reilly as the B-team
Soul Train but with the Skids