Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I like the zyliss scoop we got after we snapped off the head of an OXO on a particularly dark chocolate ice cream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Of course it's unavailable now. Mine is "OXO Good Grips Steel Ice Cream Scoop, 8 In" https://a.co/d/eJyaTAO and now I know I must baby it.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
I have two of these, one inherited, one new. Takes up less space, works just as well for cookies with a little practice. Highly recommend. The thermal conductivity makes them super easy on the wrist.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mintymenman posted:

I have two of these, one inherited, one new. Takes up less space, works just as well for cookies with a little practice. Highly recommend. The thermal conductivity makes them super easy on the wrist.

The best ice cream scoop I had looked like that, may have been the same one. I think it had some sort of liquid inside it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
So I think the punchline is that no, we don't got a hive mind consensus on scoops.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

None of those pencil necked scoops for me. My scoops need to look like the head banging lead singer for a heavy metal band.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you get a Zeroll, they come in a bunch of different scoop sizes, so be careful to get the one you want. After my parents killed one in the dishwasher, I accidentally rebought them a different size, and it's weird how wrong it feels. Still works great, the new one is just an awkward size imo.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

If you get a Zeroll, they come in a bunch of different scoop sizes, so be careful to get the one you want. After my parents killed one in the dishwasher, I accidentally rebought them a different size, and it's weird how wrong it feels. Still works great, the new one is just an awkward size imo.

And now I remember why I no longer have one of those scoops. Someone ran it through the dishwasher.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

AnonSpore posted:

How do yall deal with sediment like vanilla seed settling on the bottom as the mixture freezes instead of being mixed evenly through?

Answering my own question from a while back: I mixed as normal, then scooped everything out into a mixing bowl and manually folded everything together, then hit re-mix and everything worked out fine. A bit of a hassle but not a huge deal, I think.

Also my vote for ice cream scoop is the solid kind with antifreeze inside. Outside of not being dishwasher safe I've found them to be great.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Oh poo poo I just remembered I bought the sugar measuring device and haven’t put it to use yet. What’s a good starter sorbet recipe that I can dial in with that?

I just did 3 test sorbets, all based on fresh orange juice.

750 ml orange juice
150 ml sugar
Heat ~250g juice with the sugar to dissolve, then add the rest. Add zest of 2 oranges if the spirit guides you. This is where the refractometer would be useful but I don't have one.

1/3 in a pint plain. 1/3 with canned peaches, 1/3 with banana. We liked all of them, the 2yo liked the banana best and the adults liked the plain orange. Very tart but balanced, and a clean flavor!

No photo post-spin and I'm out of town for a week but I'll post when I'm back.

For general sorbet info, check the links to the previous thread, I'm on mobile but I think the sorbet expert's username had "Canadian" in it.

slothzilla
Dec 19, 2003

I love ice cream, but am lactose intolerant these days. I have been tinkering with lactose-free options and would appreciate any thoughts you have.

Most recipes for ice cream that don't have lactose are vegan, which isn't a concern for me. I been working with combinations of lactose-free whole milk, coconut milk and coconut cream and haven't been totally happy with the results yet. Do you have any experience with substituting coconut cream/milk for dairy cream?

I started using a little tapioca starch, which seems to help, but I haven't figured it out yet.

edit: and rum. pretty much always rum.

slothzilla fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 1, 2022

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I know this isn’t technically ice cream but it’s easy for kids to do, it’s very similar in texture to ice cream, it tastes great, and it’s basically an egg, sugar, and a bag of frozen berries.

https://www.seriouseats.com/light-and-easy-five-minute-fruit-mousse-dessert-recipe

If you wanna feel fancy like I do, make your own whipped cream. Heavy whipping cream and sugar and a strong arm. Maybe some vanilla extract. Whipping the cream is another fun part for kids to let them wear themselves out.

fr0id fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 2, 2022

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

slothzilla posted:

I love ice cream, but am lactose intolerant these days. I have been tinkering with lactose-free options and would appreciate any thoughts you have.

Most recipes for ice cream that don't have lactose are vegan, which isn't a concern for me. I been working with combinations of lactose-free whole milk, coconut milk and coconut cream and haven't been totally happy with the results yet. Do you have any experience with substituting coconut cream/milk for dairy cream?

I started using a little tapioca starch, which seems to help, but I haven't figured it out yet.

edit: and rum. pretty much always rum.

I have a mild lactose intolerance and regular half and half was upsetting my stomach sometimes with coffee. I found recently that Chobani is selling a lactose-free half and half, which has fixed the morning coffee disruption for me. I’m planning on using it to make ice cream sometime soon, too, since 50/50 milk:cream is a perfectly usable ratio.

mystes
May 31, 2006

You could also up the fat content with heavy cream (which has some lactose but not a ton) or even butter

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 2, 2022

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

You might be able to find lactose-free heavy cream.

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°

slothzilla posted:

I pretty much exclusively use a coconut milk/cream base for ice cream nowadays. I think the only real trick to it is making sure you're using a high coconut extract milk/cream to ensure you have enough fat content, other than that I'm not sure what other advice to offer. What was it about the results you got that left you unimpressed?

slothzilla
Dec 19, 2003

Thanks for all the replies. I think I hosed up my back-of-can math on fat content and then started overthinking it. I'll redo it and see how things go.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Looks like there's a prime deal for this thing for $130 going on right now.

https://www.amazon.com/Ninja-NC299AMZ-Milkshakes-One-Touch-Container/dp/B09QV24FFZ?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_e75dbf40_61&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

mystes
May 31, 2006

oh man that's pretty tempting

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

mystes posted:

oh man that's pretty tempting

I just finished reorganizing my entire pantry and think I can fit this in a cabinet now, so I'm going to probably burn some rewards/credits and grab it. The $130 only comes iwth 1 pint jar, though. Even at $20/2 pack it matches the earlier Kohls deal everyone hopped on last year.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
June/July ice creams/frozen confections
Tasting notes

Philadelphia style Strawberry from the Humphrey Slocombe book. Subbed PX vinegar for the red wine vin, added fresh thyme and black pepper. Lovely flavor, great consistency, definitely brighter than my standard strawberry custard, way less work. Made an amazing prosecco float.

Arnold Palmer sorbet. Used 90/10 double strength loose Ceylon Oolong/Castleton first flush with the Darjeeling added in the last 2 minutes of steeping. 1/4 cup lemon juice was sufficient. 28° brix. No lemon zest next time, blew out the Darjeeling.

Banana Pecan custard. Add one additional overripe banana, hand crush pecans for better mouth feel.

Boysenberry honey custard. No changes, maybe try using thyme honey for a small percentage of the honey (maybe mesquite?)

I've got a few weeks before the peaches and blueberries are ready, any suggestions for non fruit summer ice creams?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Blackberries are coming in. What do I want to do for those and the creami

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Roasted sweet corn ice cream is great in the summer if you have good local corn.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Thumposaurus posted:

Roasted sweet corn ice cream is great in the summer if you have good local corn.

Good idea!
The good sweet corn doesn't show up for another couple of weeks around here, but I almost always do a sweet corn and blueberry custard.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

David Lebovitz chocolate sorbet is heavenly

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
Every time I make that, I end up looking at commercial espresso makers online, because, goddamn if it doesn't make the best affogato I've ever had.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Post it!

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
here you go

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Just got a creami. Tried a canned fruit sorbet last night and was pleasantly surprised. Want to try other stuff now. Has anyone here made an Ube ice cream?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Can someone post a roasted sweet corn ice cream/custard recipe? It’s that time in the Midwest (18 ears for 10 bucks, picked one county over this morning) so I go through a lot.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Roast the corn on a grill or whatever cut it off the cob and steap that in the milk you'll use to make the base.
You can puree and strain it if you don't want whole corn kernels in it.
Then just take that milky-corny and use that to make whatever ice cream base you normally use.
Taste it and adjust for salt along the way.

Once you have a solid base recipe it's all about adding flavors to the milk part.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BrianBoitano posted:

i tried this (using just whole milk as the base when the recipe said milk or water) and it is genuinely great, kinda like if you turned a nice chocolate ganache into an ice cream, with low enough fat content that the chocolate is super intense. came out with a perfect texture on the creami too

linking for posterity: https://www.davidlebovitz.com/chocolate-sherbet/

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 23, 2022

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Happy to have found this thread! I've been making a bunch of recipes from Gelupo Gelato to pretty good success, using a mix of my KitchenAid freeze bowl and a relative's compressor churn thingy.

Raspberry sorbet(good) and Gianduja (excellent). I also made the gianduja recipe using almond butter instead of hazelnut, worked well and tasted great, although a bit unexpected.

Blackberry sorbet. I enjoyed this, nice strong flavour, and came out pretty smooth.

Bad photo but this was Muscavado sugar flavour, really interesting but a bit rich.

My first few came out a bit icy and I still struggle a bit with the freezer bowl (now I put it back in the freezer for a few minutes halfway through churning and it's almost perfect, especially for milk bases). Any tips there? I feel like it just doesn't have quite enough heat capacity to make it effortless.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you're not yet doing so, chill your bases down to fridge temperature 12 hours and then put it in the freezer 30 minutes before putting in the frozen bowl and churning.

E: icy in general means it froze in too-large crystals. For lower fat recipes you can try increasing the kitchenaid speed!

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 24, 2022

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

BrianBoitano posted:

If you're not yet doing so, chill your bases down to fridge temperature 12 hours and then put it in the freezer 30 minutes before putting in the frozen bowl and churning.

E: icy in general means it froze in too-large crystals. For lower fat recipes you can try increasing the kitchenaid speed!

I've tried putting it in the fridge beforehand but have never had the patience to go that far - will try thanks!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Oh I forgot I also made mango sorbet using some really ripe mangos and it was incredible, works perfectly as a sorbet flavour, creamy and refreshing. I didn't strain the pulp, just blended it, which I think helps with the texture.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I did a philly style. I think I gotta custard all my creami

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The custards really win on texture, yeah. Flavorings don't pop as much but you can overcharge it to compensate! It also seems to resist refereezing degradation best from my experience.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ended up picking up a machine during the amazon sale and have been really happy with how my couple of mainstays have scaled down to the size this machine calls for. I never really used my cuisinart more than once or twice a year because of how much thinking ahead I had to do and that I hated having 3-4 pints of ice cream as the standard batch size that I would then go on to eat. Having the pints in the freezer and ready to go into the machine when I know someone is coming over is great, and then its just gone right away so I'm not snacking on it like crazy. Definitely happy with the pickup, base custard translated really well, and the flavor requests from my usual dinner guests are starting to pour in.

e; The base in question is pretty much the same ratios as FGR's on the first page of the thread.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
The pain about custard is making use of 2 egg whites at a time, at least to me. I don’t really know what to do with them other than fry them