Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

I was watching their site for about a week stewing on buying it or getting another traditional compressor model and it seemed like the deluxe would show up in stock again every 2 days or so. You just have to keep checking though, it would sell out in less than a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Best part about home ice cream: you can do things that aren't profitable to sell in stores. I just made a pint that was 50% strawberries (mostly frozen with some freeze dried for texture) 50% FGR's vanilla base. That much strawberry flavor is just next level poo poo

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Made a raspberry sorbet after reading the two articles linked below, just fresh raspberries, caster sugar and a tablespoon of Pimms. The egg technique for sugar ratios seemed to work well. Absolutely delicious and full of flavour, probably the best fruit sorbet I've ever made.

https://www.breadandbasil.nyc/recipes/sorbet-guide
https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-make-the-best-sorbet

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I picked some blackberries and was going to make the sherbet out of the Gelupo Gelato book—it calls for a few teaspoons of arrowroot powder or cornflour as a thickener. Can I use xantham gum?

Alternatively if I really want the blackberry flavor to shine through is there another recipe I should be looking at? I have a self-refrigerating churner

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Hed posted:

I picked some blackberries and was going to make the sherbet out of the Gelupo Gelato book—it calls for a few teaspoons of arrowroot powder or cornflour as a thickener. Can I use xantham gum?

Alternatively if I really want the blackberry flavor to shine through is there another recipe I should be looking at? I have a self-refrigerating churner

I have that book! Yes you can but read the recipe carefully - there are two measurements for stabilizers you'll want the smaller one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey is everyone doing egg bases in the Creami? Has anyone done eggless Philly style?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Steve Yun posted:

Hey is everyone doing egg bases in the Creami? Has anyone done eggless Philly style?

I can’t help but read this and think “ice cream good, cheesesteak good…. Nah”
I had no idea there was a philly style ice cream.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Philly style = no egg, like Breyers

My friend recently tried some Philly style ice cream her sister made in a Creami and said she got weird little pockets of watery ice cream and was wondering why that happened. It was spun twice. I can only guess that maybe as it thawed out the water and fat separated, and that maybe egg would have prevented this, but I really have no idea

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I made Philly style the first time. I didn’t notice anything weird with the texture. However, custard is so much better I haven’t done Philly style since.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

otter posted:

I can’t help but read this and think “ice cream good, cheesesteak good…. Nah”
I had no idea there was a philly style ice cream.
It’s legit! It’s my preferred base, but I do it in a regular maker and not the Creami, so not helpful, sorry

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I do the eggless Salt and Straw base with the Creami and it works fine for me.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
If you can tolerate boomerposting a lot of facebook creami groups have people who are constantly posting ones for sale.

Excited to try the salt and straw bases, but the absolute simplicity of cutting up a watermelon and throwing it in with a small amount of lime juice and half and half is just fantastic and requires almost zero effort.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I still can't find a creami despite checking their website literally every day. Any idea what time the stock refreshes?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I got a ninja creami deluxe haha gently caress off I can make an amazing lemonade italian ice thing and its my new life.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Congrats. I have yet to make anything in the one we have. Wife makes her lite ice cream which ends up with about the consistency of a Wendy’s frosty and has one pretty much every day.
I want to make a sorbet or something similar but I have not pushed myself to do it yet.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

otter posted:

Congrats. I have yet to make anything in the one we have. Wife makes her lite ice cream which ends up with about the consistency of a Wendy’s frosty and has one pretty much every day.
I want to make a sorbet or something similar but I have not pushed myself to do it yet.

We've been making sorbets out of blended watermelon, a little bit of powdered lime, and some half and half. It's fantastic for how easy it is.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Had liquid nitrogen ice cream today, just at a shop not a fancy restaurant. Second time I've tried it and both times it's been really good without seemingly being that difficult once you've got the equipment. It really is perfectly smooth.

Unfortunately despite the liquid nitrogen itself being pretty cheap, the container for it is expensive and actually getting it seems like a huge pain. Really would like to try making some fruit sorbets with it.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

I did it a few times - Phone the nitrogen supply houses. They all rented the containers (okay, sell it to you, and then buy it back by refunding your cc).

It was fun for the party. Of note, alcohol freezes at those temps, so bailey's ice cream made from 100% baileys is possible!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

distortion park posted:

Had liquid nitrogen ice cream today, just at a shop not a fancy restaurant. Second time I've tried it and both times it's been really good without seemingly being that difficult once you've got the equipment. It really is perfectly smooth.

Unfortunately despite the liquid nitrogen itself being pretty cheap, the container for it is expensive and actually getting it seems like a huge pain. Really would like to try making some fruit sorbets with it.

Look for welding supply or other industrial gas suppliers near you.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I haven't gotten too crazy with the creami yet but just the ability to make lactose free, whey free, high protein vanilla ice cream is so easy and pretty darn good. It's a real game changer.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Kwolok posted:

I haven't gotten too crazy with the creami yet but just the ability to make lactose free, whey free, high protein vanilla ice cream is so easy and pretty darn good. It's a real game changer.

Right? I keep trying to come up with weird poo poo but making a Thai Iced Tea frozen yogurt with five minutes of prep kicks so much rear end.

We tried the Mee Krob krispie treats from Trader Joe's as a mix-in but the sweet clashed with the rest of the flavor profile. Back to the drawing board.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Are there any consumer-level machines that have metal food contact surfaces (bowl & paddle)? It looks like unless we spend the money for commercial equipment it's plastic.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

What style maker? Bowl + style looks like you could do kitchenaid bowl, buy a stainless paddle. That probably could lead to larger than ideal ice crystals since metal is a good conductor but your ice cream will still be better than store bought regardless.

Only really an option if you have the stand mixer already.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I don't have a stand mixer, but have always wanted one and maybe that'll give me an excuse. Something to think about.

Honestly just as long as it isn't hand-cranked I don't care much about the style, whether it's a freeze-the-bowl or a compressor. (Though I don't want to pay usual compressor prices, max $200 I'd say. Still. Though. May save up.)

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
My girlfriend is trying to make mint ice cream in the creami. Texture wise and sweetness it's there, but mint wise it tastes more like toothpaste. Any suggestions? She's just using a couple drops of mint extract.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you want that lawn clippings flavor, you have to steep real mint in the mixture.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah, snag a leaf in the store and give it a chew to see if you like it. Some prefer spearmint, others peppermint. Then steep in the scalded cream and strain before freezing.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

BrianBoitano posted:

Yeah, snag a leaf in the store and give it a chew to see if you like it. Some prefer spearmint, others peppermint. Then steep in the scalded cream and strain before freezing.

Hmm we've been lazy and have just been mixing some protein shakes with some sugar and stuff. But for this to work I guess we'd need to heat up some cream or something and steep the leaves in them.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Here's the mint recipe from Gelupo Gelato. He blanches the mint then incorporates it directly

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
Creme de Menthe or Rumplemintz are great for bumping the mint and rounding out the mint flavor. I always add a bunch of crushed peppermint candy for little pops of mint.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Another thing to remember is that peppermint is far more menthol-y than spearmint or mint, so be sure of what extract or plant you're using too.

Usually peppermint is used in desserts, since it needs to punch through other flavors.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Creami people: my chef at work ordered a Creami and is apparently planning on making mortadella in it??? Is that as insane as it seems at first? I feel like with the chilling to prevent the fat melting, combined with the fine pureeing, it could be kind of perfect, but cleaning meat sludge out of a Creami kind of sounds like hell.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i do not understand how it'd be useful for those purposes with how the creami blade travels and works

eke out fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 8, 2023

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It’s an interesting idea. I’d definitely double grind and mix first, then try letting the Creami handle the emulsification. Even then, I’d use some kinda binder to hedge against weeping from the freeze before cooking.

Edit: thinking about it more, I’d still try it, but with the water actually being frozen, I would think that you’ll end up with an extremely fine paste that the water seeps out of immediately upon thawing. Water needs to be liquid to actually emulsify, right? Our hot dog meat was always 34f.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 8, 2023

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

"Pacojet meat" gives several recipes for various things not unlike mortadella. Doesn't mean it's a superior tool, but honestly it's not a big investment for a restaurant so go hog wild and give a secondhand trip report!

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
When I do simple ninja creami recipes for simple or protein ice cream the texture is always great after a splash of milk and a respin. But putting it back in the freezer means it freezes hard as a rock again. Is there anyway to keep it soft after spinning and freezing?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I think of how despite any attempts to prevent it, the design of the creami causes ice cream liquid residue to splash onto the shaft which drives the blade and then retracts into the motor housing preventing you from being able to clean and or sanitize it and having that be meat slurry just gives me the dry heaves.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

When making bases for the creami, what effect do the various emulsifiers, stabilizers etc have? Do they have a different effect with this method or maybe they're no longer needed?

I'm talking about things like guar gum, xanthan gum, locust bean gum, invert syrup, dextrose, lecithin, milk powder etc

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I use the Salt and Straw base with xanthan gum and it still works fine for me. I’m not sure if it’s necessary though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I finally managed to get hold of a Creami, at Wal-Mart of all places. The only one in stock, and the only one I've actually seen on store shelves anywhere in town for months. It's the older NC300 model, so five functions rather than the current model's 7, but it was also about $60 cheaper. I'm sure the added functions (gelato and smoothie bowl, I believe?) would be nice to have, but:

1) They're probably not essential
2) There are probably recipes out there which work around the limitations of the older model
3) If I absolutely had to have the added functions, at the NC301's current price point I might as well just shell out the extra $20 for the Deluxe model

I won't be using it right away because it's going to be a Christmas gift for us, but I'm looking forward to doing so. My wife and I love our frozen desserts.