Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Dumb question: I got a creami deluxe. Does it matter what setting I turn it to before hitting respin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Nope, respin is respin. Checked user manual to make sure it didn't change with the Deluxe.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Woot has creami 7-in1 for $90 in their ninja scratch/dent sale.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Gaw drat

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.
I’m approaching being in the market for a new ice cream maker, and I’ve been mulling over getting a compressor model to replace my frozen-canister model, which has served me well but takes up too much space with two canisters and isn’t really meeting output needs anymore.

But before I take the plunge, I guess it would be prudent to ask something I’ve wondered since its release: what is it about the Creami that it would inspire(d) such zeal? Beyond the “it’s my new toy and I’m in love” novelty aspect?

I understand that it’s basically a budget Pacojet, and I understand why such a thing is desirable in a food-service context, but what’s the benefit in a home environment over a more traditional churner-style?

From what I’ve read, the Creami requires a bit of foresight and planning ahead — nature of the beast, really— and the containers take up space if you have multiples, and recipes also require some rejiggering to work best in the Creami. That said, it does seem a bit less fiddly to pull out a block of base and shave it into ice cream, so there’s that.

I dunno. I’m not asking to be talked into or out of a Creami, and I have no intention of causing a debate or derail. I’d just like to know what others see that I’m not seeing. I’m a bit skeptical, but I’m willing to be informed.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I've never had a compressor model, but I imagine they're about a push with a slight nod towards the Creami, and both blow the frozen bowl style out of the water.

Creami needs foresight but you can prep huge quantities and serve freaky fast. It can manage a wider range of recipes since ice crystals can form however they like and the machine will homogenize them at the end. Other machines might not freeze at all, or might end up icy.

Other machines: better for super high fat recipes
Other machines: can make high overrun, airy styles*
Creami: insanely simple sorbets
Creami: adding alcohol
Basically I don't need to do brix calculations or worry about too much protein or not enough sugar.

I'd say Creami can split batch and run different flavors and/or experiments better too, less cleaning involved between.

I use my Creami is about 12x a year vs 1x with my previous frozen bowl, so I don't think it's a honeymoon period thing. Texture is always amazing, and you can respin to fix freezer burn or remelt issues. I don't have a compressor model to compare to though.

*maybe if you make a semifreddo base you could Creami it to get lots of air?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have an old Italian compressor model and got the creami last year for x-mas. I've worked in kitchens where we regularly used a paco-jet and the creami does the job just as well.

If I have to make a large batch of a single flavor I'll use the compressor (it's called the ice cream boy:3:)

For experimental recipes or just everyday ice cream/sorbet to snack on I use the creami.
My partner likes to use it to freeze protein shakes and have high protein ice cream.

Some flavors we've done I don't think we would have tried if we had to make a big batch one was a roasted pineapple and banana pepper sorbet.

One kitchen I worked in I did a sorbet using my sour dough starter and sorbet base in the paco-jet to make a sour dough sorbet. The other cooks and I loved it but the exec. Chef didn't get it. It was like a really funky vanilla.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
My Creami arrives next week. I'm obsessed with Peanut Butter and Jelly ice cream. What's the best way I could approximate that with a Creami? I'm reading the owner's manual now and it says neither nut butters nor jams are good mixins.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BrianBoitano posted:

I've never had a compressor model, but I imagine they're about a push with a slight nod towards the Creami, and both blow the frozen bowl style out of the water.

yeah i agree with all of this -- to me it's fundamentally just much simpler to pre-freeze a base (often with zero cooking required) then spend 3 minutes running a machine than basically any other option. you can get together very decent ice cream with literally 5 minutes total human labor/waiting and the texture is much more uniformly good even when you're just throwing stuff together than a standard ice cream machine would be

a compressor may have higher highs for some preparations but the floor for the creami is so high and it's really hard to gently caress up

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I have a tiny compressor-type machine, and I’m not tempted by the Creami. I prefer Philadelphia base (no eggs), so I can literally just have an idea, pour the ingredients into the maker, and be eating maybe an hour later. Zero planning ahead, no bowls taking up space in my freezer, no bowls to break or leak, can make as many back-to-back batches as I want.

Literally the only downside is price and storage if you get a big one (but mine makes a pint at a time so it’s flawless). also if you churn way too much, you can end up with tiny bits of butterfat forming, but don’t do that

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

malnourish posted:

My Creami arrives next week. I'm obsessed with Peanut Butter and Jelly ice cream. What's the best way I could approximate that with a Creami? I'm reading the owner's manual now and it says neither nut butters nor jams are good mixins.

I’d say make a peanut butter ice cream in the Creami (not a swirl) and then spoon it into another container after processing in the Creami and layer it with jelly and swirl that around in the other container.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Wirecutter had some things to say about the Creami, notably alleging that plastic shavings can get in the ice cream and it's a monster to clean.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

malnourish posted:

I'm not as familiar with the Creami (I have a refrigerated unit) but the Modernist at Home PB&J Gelato is terrific. Guests always love it and it's vegan. This is adapted from their pistachio gelato recipe.

May not be exactly what you're after, but it has an intense PB&J flavor--basically tastes like a cold liquid PBJ filling.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
I'm absolutely making that, thanks for sharing

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010

malnourish posted:

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Wirecutter had some things to say about the Creami, notably alleging that plastic shavings can get in the ice cream and it's a monster to clean.

I wouldn't say it's a monster to clean at all; the only thing I don't like is the gearshaft thingamabob at the top retracts into the machine after spinning a pint so that specific part is difficult (impossible) to clean properly. Everything else is very straightforward.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
Mine arrived yesterday and I've already made a protein ice cream (2 scoops optimum vanilla, 3 tbsp PBFit, 1 tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp almond extract, lite cycle+respin) that turned out remarkably well for an overnight freeze. A little watery as it melts, and there was a weird "dome" in the center as it froze, which I had to scrape down.

I also made a milkshake with store bought cream. As soon as I get some roasted peanut oil I'm making the gelato.

It hasn't been bad to clean at all. I agree about the bit they protrudes from the machine being a cause for some concern.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

amaguri posted:

I wouldn't say it's a monster to clean at all; the only thing I don't like is the gearshaft thingamabob at the top retracts into the machine after spinning a pint so that specific part is difficult (impossible) to clean properly. Everything else is very straightforward.

Now that I think of it, I think I'll treat it like my blender. After using, give a quick rinse then return a clean pint filled halfway with soapy water. Give it a spin, good enough. The post should descend into the soap.

I'll try this evening if I can remember. Look forward to learning of my sudsplosion!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The pacojet has a special brush attachment that scrubs the shaft clean. I don't know why ninja doesn't make one for the creami.
I've cleaned out some nasty pacojets that nobody knew what the scrubber was used for.
Like chunks of stuff washed down out of the shaft chamber.
One got gunked up so bad it had to be sent off to be refurbished.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

Hed posted:

I'm not as familiar with the Creami (I have a refrigerated unit) but the Modernist at Home PB&J Gelato is terrific. Guests always love it and it's vegan. This is adapted from their pistachio gelato recipe.

May not be exactly what you're after, but it has an intense PB&J flavor--basically tastes like a cold liquid PBJ filling.

Trip report: delicious! Rich and a bit salty, I think I'll replace a bit of peanut oil with a neutral oil next time. Can't believe this is vegan.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Glad you liked it! And after I posted I realized that recipe sounds tailor made for the Creami—the one it’s adapted from is best done in a Pacojet.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
I want to make the pistachio gelato this weekend but I have no idea where to find good paste

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Do you have a vitamix?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

Now that I think of it, I think I'll treat it like my blender. After using, give a quick rinse then return a clean pint filled halfway with soapy water. Give it a spin, good enough. The post should descend into the soap.

I'll try this evening if I can remember. Look forward to learning of my sudsplosion!

Trip report - I couldn't see at all what was happening, so I don't know if the post was filthy before or sparkly clean after. Still only added a couple minutes to the routine so I felt good to have done it.

I may try the mix in setting next - I think respin might be too fast and the post doesn't even get touched by the water really - see the vortex.

Glad the suds didn't explode off the lid

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
Anyone have a chocolate ice cream they'd recommend that's a step up in effort/flavour from the basic ninja one but not quite into chocolate gelato level? Introducing a new friend to the machine and she's taking baby steps.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Toast posted:

Anyone have a chocolate ice cream they'd recommend that's a step up in effort/flavour from the basic ninja one but not quite into chocolate gelato level? Introducing a new friend to the machine and she's taking baby steps.

I have had excellent luck with the Frostline mix off Amazon. I do a 2.5:1 ratio of milk to mix. I use the Fairlife milk and I swear this is some of the best ice cream I have ever had. It seems like 1 2/3 cups milk to 2/3 cups mix is the sweet spot, I hit the pint with the immersion blender and then freeze.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have a self refrigerating maker but just realized Costco carries the Ninja Creami Deluxe XL. It looks like it has 3 24 oz. Containers for $180 is that decent or does it also go on sale?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Hed posted:

I have a self refrigerating maker but just realized Costco carries the Ninja Creami Deluxe XL. It looks like it has 3 24 oz. Containers for $180 is that decent or does it also go on sale?

I mean maybe but that's already basically a sale price.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Just found this thread because of the weekend post and I'm finding myself really tempted by that $180 Creami @ Costco. If I hosted people more than once per year it might push me over the edge. OTOH, I'm in my 40s and having quick access to make any kind of ice cream pretty much on demand might just push me into the grave.

Also, for anyone looking for a less negative POV review than the ATK, this one from 2 years ago (older model) is pretty thorough. His negatives are that it is loud and takes up a lot of room. But the results are fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-byHN6_m-Q

Does anyone have any input if the newer models are any quieter? That might be the biggest strike against using one on the regular for me. Also, this Deluxe model looks like it makes 5 drinks, which I'd probably never use. Anyone here have one of these models and have you used the drink settings?
https://www.costco.com/ninja-creami-deluxe-11-in-1-ice-cream-and-frozen-treat-maker.product.4000213642.html

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

CzarChasm posted:

Just found this thread because of the weekend post and I'm finding myself really tempted by that $180 Creami @ Costco. If I hosted people more than once per year it might push me over the edge. OTOH, I'm in my 40s and having quick access to make any kind of ice cream pretty much on demand might just push me into the grave.

Also, for anyone looking for a less negative POV review than the ATK, this one from 2 years ago (older model) is pretty thorough. His negatives are that it is loud and takes up a lot of room. But the results are fantastic.

Does anyone have any input if the newer models are any quieter? That might be the biggest strike against using one on the regular for me. Also, this Deluxe model looks like it makes 5 drinks, which I'd probably never use. Anyone here have one of these models and have you used the drink settings?
https://www.costco.com/ninja-creami-deluxe-11-in-1-ice-cream-and-frozen-treat-maker.product.4000213642.html

It is loud, but over pretty quickly unless you have to spin a lot. One positive thing is, you have to prepare and freeze your ice cream in advance, so you won't have a lot of spur of the moment ice cream feasts without a little planning. I love mine, but I also ruined one of my knock off pints containers from Amazon by throwing it in the dishwasher with the heated dry on :( Pretty happy with it, and it seems like if you got it at Costco and hated it you could easily return it...

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
After seeing a TV chef use one, I recently splurged on a Simac Il Gelataio 1600 off ebay. the housing got damaged somewhat in shipping so I was able to get Fedex to refund me the shipping which meant the total cost was $90. It works really well! If you ever come across one of these machines I recommend it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

The new one isn't any louder than a powerful blender or a vacuum, we got one a few months ago and it's great. My one complaint is that since I usually have to blend it twice, the consistency of the ice creme is more of a softserve. But the taste is wonderful!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

After seeing a TV chef use one, I recently splurged on a Simac Il Gelataio 1600 off ebay. the housing got damaged somewhat in shipping so I was able to get Fedex to refund me the shipping which meant the total cost was $90. It works really well! If you ever come across one of these machines I recommend it.

I have a Simac called "The Ice Cream Boy" I got it off of a shopgoodwill auction. Mine also got the housing damaged in shipping and shopgoodwill refunded me the entire purchase price.
So yeah if you see one online buy it you might end up getting it for free.
I use both it and the Ninja for different things. I'm happy I have both available

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
You guys are really letting me think I can say I don’t have a problem for having a self-refrigerating unit and a Creami to make ice cream.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is there a guide anywhere on how to clean the shaft of the creami that ascends up into the body of the machine? I can't imagine they didn't consider dairy gunk going bad in there with no way to clean it

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

Is there a guide anywhere on how to clean the shaft of the creami that ascends up into the body of the machine? I can't imagine they didn't consider dairy gunk going bad in there with no way to clean it

I'm assuming you've seen this upthread and want something more tested?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=4002858&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post536524111

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah suffice to say I didn't try the slower "mix in" spin setting yet, but that's what I would do. It may just have a good gasket to keep the cream in the pint, but hard to say yet.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

kensei posted:

It is loud, but over pretty quickly unless you have to spin a lot. One positive thing is, you have to prepare and freeze your ice cream in advance, so you won't have a lot of spur of the moment ice cream feasts without a little planning. I love mine, but I also ruined one of my knock off pints containers from Amazon by throwing it in the dishwasher with the heated dry on :( Pretty happy with it, and it seems like if you got it at Costco and hated it you could easily return it...

I have to assume the genuine articles are dishwasher safe, even if top-rack only?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yes

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

idk what a creami is but i got a hand cranked donvier ice cream maker at value village for 15 bucks and what do you mean brand new they're $90 and don't even come in fun colours

i like to infuse various teas into the batter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amara
Jun 4, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

I make protein ice cream just by making and freezing a protein shake basically. Two scoops of Fruity Pebbles Dymatize ISO-100 plus Almond Breeze Unsweetened almond milk to make a pint, and it's amazing with perfect macros.

Okay it's been a hot minute but I finally tried this combo. Should have just started with it I guess but I kept trying to make a chocolate protein ice cream and they all were disappointing enough I didn't want to eat them, eating them was a chore. I tried all sorts of powders, pudding packs, cocoa, etc. I thought, I don't even like fruity pebbles!

Well this rocks I gotta say. Zero effort, two scoops in 2 cups and perfect texture and great flavor. I'm going to keep experimenting with other protein powders but this has definitely set the bar.