Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ordered my Creami and now just put my first pints in the freezer. Coffee using monk fruit sweetener and Cardamom Custard... where I needed to use brown sugar to make because I completely forgot I was out of white sugar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

First attempt with the coffee.

.9 cup drip coffee
.9 cup whole milk
.2 heavy cream

1/3 cup monk fruit sweetener
1 tbsp nescafe
pinch of xanthan gum

24 hours may not be long enough to get super cold or I gotta get the freezer colder. I put most back to try a re-spin tomorrow.
Coffee flavor was there but a little weak (just judging by the color I shoulda expected that). Next time more nescafe until I get a color I like.
On the lite ice cream setting it came out at the exact same consistency as a Wendy's Frosty. Maybe that is from the xanthan gum?

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Scars are tattoos with better stories.

Blueberry and raspberry vanilla coconut swirl
---
Fill creami cup with,
1/4 with cococut cream
2 drops vanilla extract
1/4 cup sugar
A pinch ( tiny tiny tiny) of salt
Top with coconut milk to fill line
Stir to combine.

Freeze, process, then layer in a quart togo container blueberry/raspberry pancake syrup we had left over from banana pancakes until quart cup is filled. Use a chopstick to mix it all gently, not too much. Then freeze.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Honey'd honeydew with coconut cream. [Recipe]

Makes 2 creami cups

1/2 honeydew melon cubes.
1 can of coconut cream.
1 heaping teaspoon honey.
1/4 cup sugar.

Pour honeydew cubes into blend cups, pour in sugar, honey, and coconut cream diced between two cups. Freeze, process, and finally, eat.

Taste is honey forward with gentle melon notes mixed in with coconut. Top 3 best recipes BY FAR.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Coconut milk vs coconut cream? Which is best for the creami?

I couldn't find anyone reviewing the two types of coconut milk products, so I decided to do my own research. This machine is really good for cranking out ice cream experiments.

Coconut cream wins in texture, however coconut milk is easier to mix in. Coconut milk taste more like actual milk ice cream, whereas coconut cream kind of tastes like a whipped product.

I personally think coconut cream is the better option.

For the record, the coconut milk is peanut butter cup, and the coconut cream is lemon curd.

Get some coconut products, and go make some ice cream.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Simplest way to taste all the frozen fruits

If you're like me, you see strange and unique frozen fruits at your ethnic grocery stores. And if you are even more like me, you wonder what you can do with them apart from smoothies.

Wonder no longer Me-doppelganger, for today I bring you frozen fruit and coconut ice cream.

1. Almost fill a creami cup with chunks of frozen fruit. Try new flavors, we just tried Mamey.
2. Mix up a can of coconut milk, 1/2 cup sugar, and a tsp of salt until smooth. Try an immersion blender.
3. Pour coconut mixture atop fruit until fill line is achieved. Press down to flatten mixture, but not too hard.
4. Freeze 24hrs
5. Mix on" ice cream", scrape down sides, remix 1-2x to taste.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Mango coconut with a twist.

I used

1 can of coconut milk.
Frozen mangos.
Demerara sugar
Cayenne pepper.
A bit of salt.

Frozen and took 2 re mixes from ice cream setting. Really fantastic flavor and CHEAP too.

oxyrosis fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 5, 2024

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Aldi sells a blended, fat-free strawberry Greek yogurt that I love. Could I just spoon that straight into a creami container, freeze, then spin into froyo?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lawnie posted:

Aldi sells a blended, fat-free strawberry Greek yogurt that I love. Could I just spoon that straight into a creami container, freeze, then spin into froyo?

yeah pretty much. depending on the texture you might want to thin it out a little or maybe adjust sweetness levels after it's frozen? but most things along those lines basically work in my experience

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

A re-spin on the coffee the next day came out very powdery, had to add a little cream and spin again to get anywhere. Cardamom on lite came out great, excellent flavor. I brought in both flavors to school for to experiment on children give my students a taste and they all said coffee had a better flavor.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

When it's powdery for me, a simple respin usually does it, no new ingredients needed

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BrianBoitano posted:

When it's powdery for me, a simple respin usually does it, no new ingredients needed

It didn't after a respin. Could be because this was a reattempt after spinning it first to try the day before. I'll keep trying, but if I keep getting powder trying the regular ice cream spin and something good on lite after one spin I'll just do that. Maybe I'll figure out a right temp in my freezer eventually.

I made some custard into two batches, added cocoa powder to one for a good chocolate flavor and will mix in Oreos for the other to test it out with the in-laws.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 9, 2024

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I have learned my lesson. Attempting an almond milk, sugar free maple syrup sorbet with xanthan gum to get a creamier texture ended up with something that looked and had the exact same texture of mashed potatoes :barf:

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
I don't know about gum, I refuse to put any gum in my ice cream. There's a place called Afters that puts gum in their ice cream and because of it everything scoops weird, and melts even stranger.

The texture is okay, if you like chewing.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpdwJudCTlQ

The gum is what helps with preventing melting. I might try it since the consistency is closer to a thick shake than ice cream after two blends with the creami

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I finally tried 160°F soapy water + mix in setting to try and clean the shaft.

I did once before ice cream and once after. Both times, water ended up clear and didn't smell of old dairy after.

It still whirlpooled so only 1/3 ish of the shaft got direct contact with the soapy water. That said, I got a good look and it seems the shaft was clean already. My guess is that their gasket does a good job, combined with centrifugal force throwing off drips. I know I won't be bothering to try and clean again - ice cream tastes good.

You could fill water all the way to the top (I just did max fill line) but I'd be worried about it being forced up into the gearbox. Maybe make a water + crushed ice slushy so it's more solid? A project for someone more worried about it than me.

Fake edit - another thought - do a dark red sorbet spin. Then wash blade and exposed screw connector, then a vanilla ice cream spin. If you see red in the ice cream, you know the gasket isn't very effective. Could do water + food coloring but as I've found, water doesn't really mimic a real spin.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Had my creami for like 5 days now, and each day I've had a pint of icecream for breakfast and again after dinner, it's fantastic.

Mostly just doing protein shake type stuff
1 serving (2 scoops) of 'protein mousse' (i get this stuff when it's occasionally on sale down here in australia, it already has a bunch of gums/stabilisers added to it)
100mL of milk/coconut milk (canned coconut milk I get also has guar gum in it)
250mL water

it's a pretty high water content and 100mL of milk isn't a lot of fat, so I also add
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp xanthan gum, which is dissolved in
- 10mL vegetable glycerine (same stuff they put in frozen coke zero)
not a food scientist but my understanding is both of these help with texture as well as making it not as hard(?) when it freezes

Greek yoghurt and whatever fruit/flavouring/protein powder I've had lying around is great, great way to eat half a kilo of yoghurt in one go

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Had my creami for like 5 days now, and each day I've had a pint of icecream for breakfast and again after dinner, it's fantastic

Judging by reddit, this is one of the biggest selling points of the machine. 60% /r/volumeeating, 30% "just throw whatever in and it just works!" leaving 10% "making good ice cream is just using any good ice cream recipe. Maybe replace a little fat with milk."

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
I don't eat my ice cream directly out of a Creami mixing container, this gives me one major advantage, layering.

I mix and then once the ice cream is finished, I can then scoop it into a takeout pint container and between each layer i add, I'm able to add additional liquidy mix ins, including peanut butter, flavored whipped creams, jams, and my favorite, a melted dark chocolate bar.

Layer a bit, drip in some candy bar, layer again, drip in some more. Once you've filled the cup, use a chopstick to stir it a small bit and then freeze. The chocolate turns into flake or chunk depending on how well you control your pour. Experiment a bit.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

First frozen yogurt attempt had great texture but the yogurt flavor just completely overwhelmed the winter melon flavor, in a way that it didn't in the milk base using the same amount of syrup.

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010
it's "cheating" a bit but if you put magic shell on your base and let it solidify before the final mix-in spin, it makes a pretty effective chocolatey chip ice cream. i prefer it to actual chocolate chips because it has such a nice smooth melt

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you're ever buying gelato, that's called stracciatella. I love the tiny shards too!

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
Make your own magic shell by whisking cocoa powder into warmed coconut oil. I add a splash of vanilla and some espresso powder, but it's great on its own. It works even better if you use cocoa butter( food grade), but that's harder to find and a lot more expensive. Roughly a 1:1 ratio will get you there. Keeps indefinitely in a cool dark place. Do not refrigerate.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I've been experimenting with low cal, low fat, high protein ice cream. This is super easy in a Creami, since you can freeze and spin anything except rocks.

But most recipes online assume you eat the whole pint in one go - great if you're replacing a meal but I'm just doing 1/3 to 1/2 a pint as a snack. As a result most Creami recipes do not have sufficient Anti Freeze Power - you have to spin right before eating and if you refreeze you'll get a solid chunk.

A hack I'm experimenting with is just adding 40-50ml of booze, and I'm liking it. I'm pretty sure it's the lowest calorie antifreeze, and it seems to be working nicely. Plus, tasty! I add 2g gelatine as insurance, and some xanthan and locust bean gum since I have it on hand. So far, I've gotten it scoopable but definitely not the same as full fat - more similar to a fudgecicle. I've done rum, B&B, and last night I prepped Mexican chocolate with tequila.

Anybody else try to thread this needle?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Just freeze half a pint if you only want to eat half a pint?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Every little bit of prep and cleanup is pushing me towards eating a protein bar or candy. Spinning every 3 days is easier.

Plus I enjoy an experiment

E: goddamn this one is good

I think the key for flavor was 20g cocoa powder and the texture, which is like fudge or a chocolate truffle, is from doubling the gelatine to 4g, and 50g tequila. Probably has room for more spiced chocolate bitters, or simply cayenne.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Deluxe is on sale at Costco for $179 so I upgraded and sold my old one for $125. The Deluxe can do a half pint spin, so that is pretty cool!