Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Toast posted:

Anyone have a chocolate ice cream they'd recommend that's a step up in effort/flavour from the basic ninja one but not quite into chocolate gelato level? Introducing a new friend to the machine and she's taking baby steps.

I have had excellent luck with the Frostline mix off Amazon. I do a 2.5:1 ratio of milk to mix. I use the Fairlife milk and I swear this is some of the best ice cream I have ever had. It seems like 1 2/3 cups milk to 2/3 cups mix is the sweet spot, I hit the pint with the immersion blender and then freeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

CzarChasm posted:

Just found this thread because of the weekend post and I'm finding myself really tempted by that $180 Creami @ Costco. If I hosted people more than once per year it might push me over the edge. OTOH, I'm in my 40s and having quick access to make any kind of ice cream pretty much on demand might just push me into the grave.

Also, for anyone looking for a less negative POV review than the ATK, this one from 2 years ago (older model) is pretty thorough. His negatives are that it is loud and takes up a lot of room. But the results are fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-byHN6_m-Q

Does anyone have any input if the newer models are any quieter? That might be the biggest strike against using one on the regular for me. Also, this Deluxe model looks like it makes 5 drinks, which I'd probably never use. Anyone here have one of these models and have you used the drink settings?
https://www.costco.com/ninja-creami-deluxe-11-in-1-ice-cream-and-frozen-treat-maker.product.4000213642.html

It is loud, but over pretty quickly unless you have to spin a lot. One positive thing is, you have to prepare and freeze your ice cream in advance, so you won't have a lot of spur of the moment ice cream feasts without a little planning. I love mine, but I also ruined one of my knock off pints containers from Amazon by throwing it in the dishwasher with the heated dry on :( Pretty happy with it, and it seems like if you got it at Costco and hated it you could easily return it...

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Deluxe is on sale at Costco for $179 so I upgraded and sold my old one for $125. The Deluxe can do a half pint spin, so that is pretty cool!